If Trump Carries Through on Threat to close ports of entry?

Well, I am sure that it is ok with you, because you are not a Latino American citizen with relatives in Mexico. They are, after all, 2nd class American citizens.
Oh, please, you are bringing tears to my eyes. If there is a shutdown, it cannot last for too long because it will destroy the Mexican economy if it does. All your latino American friends should write to their families in Mexico to get their government to start building fence on Mexico's southern border in time for their birthday visits.

..and your cruise to the Caribbean has been canceled due to Trump's closing the ports of the Gulf to anyone returning from Central America and Mexico.
Omg, the sky is falling!

No, that sound you hear is your civil rights disintegrating.

You have a civil right to allow people to illegally cross the Mexican border?

Closing the border means that Trump would take away your civil right to leave the USA through the border. If you are OK with that, you have already drunk the kool-Aid, and there is no hope for you.

Oh, please, you are bringing tears to my eyes. If there is a shutdown, it cannot last for too long because it will destroy the Mexican economy if it does. All your latino American friends should write to their families in Mexico to get their government to start building fence on Mexico's southern border in time for their birthday visits.

..and your cruise to the Caribbean has been canceled due to Trump's closing the ports of the Gulf to anyone returning from Central America and Mexico.
Omg, the sky is falling!

Closing the border means that Trump would take away your civil right to leave the USA through the border. If you are OK with that, you have already drunk the kool-Aid, and there is no hope for you.
Don't be stupid. Closing the border means not allowing anything or anyone in from Mexico, not preventing Americans from traveling.

Omg, the sky is falling!

What makes you think you have a civil right to enter another nation? Do you not know that the Civil Rights we enjoy in this nation are not always recognized in Mexico, for example?

Omg, the sky is falling!

Don't be stupid. Closing the border means not allowing anything or anyone in from Mexico, not preventing Americans from traveling.

So, you define a "closed door" as a door that as a door that is closed coming in, and open going out, and you are calling me stupid? And even if that were possible, you believe that it would not be a loss of an American's civil rights to be denied reentry into the USA after visiting his relatives in Mexico? You haven't given this much thought have you?

Omg, the sky is falling!

What makes you think you have a civil right to enter another nation? Do you not know that the Civil Rights we enjoy in this nation are not always recognized in Mexico, for example?

Can you even read English? Mexico has the right to deny entry to me, but Trump does not have the right to tell me that I can not leave the USA. How could you possibly be unable to understand that his closing the border takes away your right to leave? Perhaps in your mind, you are already confusing him with the dictator of N. Korea.

Omg, the sky is falling!

So, you define a "closed door" as a door that as a door that is closed coming in, and open going out, and you are calling me stupid? And even if that were possible, you believe that it would not be a loss of an American's civil rights to be denied reentry into the USA after visiting his relatives in Mexico? You haven't given this much thought have you?
lol If Americans want to return from Mexico, I'm sure some arrangement can be made, but keep in mind the purpose is to prevent anything Mexican from entering America so Americans will lose no more civil rights that they do when they are caught in a traffic jam. Let me help you out with your whining. The real objection is that it will hurt the US economy short term, but it will destroy the Mexican economy so once the border was shut down, like it or not, Mexico will have to comply with our demands. In fact, we have already had a taste of it when Trump transferred border patrol agents away from ports of entry and while traffic to Mexico moved along normally there was a shortage of agents to check traffic coming into the US and Obrador quickly changed his mind and began helping to keep the Mexican side of the border free from illegals. Because of the President's threat of closing the border and the slowdown he engineered, the Mexicans are now working with us, and you didn't lose any civil rights.

lol If Americans want to return from Mexico, I'm sure some arrangement can be made, but keep in mind the purpose is to prevent anything Mexican from entering America so Americans will lose no more civil rights that they do when they are caught in a traffic jam. Let me help you out with your whining. The real objection is that it will hurt the US economy short term, but it will destroy the Mexican economy so once the border was shut down, like it or not, Mexico will have to comply with our demands. In fact, we have already had a taste of it when Trump transferred border patrol agents away from ports of entry and while traffic to Mexico moved along normally there was a shortage of agents to check traffic coming into the US and Obrador quickly changed his mind and began helping to keep the Mexican side of the border free from illegals. Because of the President's threat of closing the border and the slowdown he engineered, the Mexicans are now working with us, and you didn't lose any civil rights.

So, you are not concerned about the civil rights of American citizens who wish to visit their relatives in Mexico, and risk not being able to return, because Trump "closed the border" (his words). As for the second half of your post, the republican governor of my state, AZ, has pleaded with Trump not to "close the border" because the damage to the AZ economy would be in the neighborhood of $4 billion per day. The mayor of Nogales, AZ, the largest border portal in the state, did as well. The Auoto assembly plants across the USA, with their "just in time" parts inventory system, would be shut down within 3 weeks. There would be virtually no fresh vegetables in grocery stores until the imperial Valley and Rio Grande valley harvests are in this summer, and Mexico would simply continue to trade with China. Neither you, nor Trump, have the slightest idea how today's world economy works.

Omg, the sky is falling!

If he is calling you stupid, he is not wrong. I can't imagine anyone stupid enough to believe that Americans would be denied entry into the USA even if the border is closed.

Omg, the sky is falling!

Can you even read English? Mexico has the right to deny entry to me, but Trump does not have the right to tell me that I can not leave the USA. How could you possibly be unable to understand that his closing the border takes away your right to leave? Perhaps in your mind, you are already confusing him with the dictator of N. Korea.

Again, you're outraged by something is stupid. If the border is closed, you're not trapped in the USA. So, feel free to sit down and shut up until you have a REAL argument to make.

So, you are not concerned about the civil rights of American citizens who wish to visit their relatives in Mexico, and risk not being able to return, because Trump "closed the border" (his words). As for the second half of your post, the republican governor of my state, AZ, has pleaded with Trump not to "close the border" because the damage to the AZ economy would be in the neighborhood of $4 billion per day. The mayor of Nogales, AZ, the largest border portal in the state, did as well. The Auoto assembly plants across the USA, with their "just in time" parts inventory system, would be shut down within 3 weeks. There would be virtually no fresh vegetables in grocery stores until the imperial Valley and Rio Grande valley harvests are in this summer, and Mexico would simply continue to trade with China. Neither you, nor Trump, have the slightest idea how today's world economy works.
I'm concerned about too many illegals crossing our southern border as well as what harm the closure might do to the US, but the Democrats' bogus opposition to border security has left the government few options in dealing with border security and this is one that has already caused Mexico's government to change its stance.

Hey Toomuchtime, are you SURE that Trump's threat to close down the border changed Mexico's stance? All we have on that count is Trump's word. He said he was going to shut down the border, but then a day later, he says that Mexico is stopping immigrants at their southern border, and instead of shutting down the border, he's gonna see how it goes for a year, and if it's not improved, then he will do tariffs and if that doesn't work, THEN he will shut down the border.

Wanna know how I think it went? I think that Trump made his threat to shut down the border, then a whole bunch of people told him it was a bad idea because it would have detrimental effects on OUR economy. Trump then looked for ways to not shut down the border and save face. He then says that Mexico has shut down immigration on their southern border (and more than likely they haven't), so he will give them a year and we'll see if tariffs need to be imposed.

Do I believe that Trump got Mexico to shut down their southern border? About as much as I believe that Trump got N. Korea to denuclearize.

It's not rocket science...Close the border to all non-commercial traffic.

If someone lives in Mexico, but their job is in America, would those workers be considered as commercial traffic? Their work contributes to the economy of this country, and there are a lot of them.

Basically, it's a nice thought, but impossible to implement.

Hey Toomuchtime, are you SURE that Trump's threat to close down the border changed Mexico's stance? All we have on that count is Trump's word. He said he was going to shut down the border, but then a day later, he says that Mexico is stopping immigrants at their southern border, and instead of shutting down the border, he's gonna see how it goes for a year, and if it's not improved, then he will do tariffs and if that doesn't work, THEN he will shut down the border.

Wanna know how I think it went? I think that Trump made his threat to shut down the border, then a whole bunch of people told him it was a bad idea because it would have detrimental effects on OUR economy. Trump then looked for ways to not shut down the border and save face. He then says that Mexico has shut down immigration on their southern border (and more than likely they haven't), so he will give them a year and we'll see if tariffs need to be imposed.

Do I believe that Trump got Mexico to shut down their southern border? About as much as I believe that Trump got N. Korea to denuclearize.
That may be your fantasy, but Trump followed up on his threat to close the border by reducing the number of agents checking cars and trucks coming from Mexico so that the wait time was as much as two days on weekends and following that Obrador stated that he would enforce "order" on the Central Americans. Closing the border just means removing enough agents who check cars and trucks from Mexico to make it unprofitable to sell to the US so while you were hoping the US would lose, Trump began the shutdown and Obrador capitulated.

That may be your fantasy, but Trump followed up on his threat to close the border by reducing the number of agents checking cars and trucks coming from Mexico so that the wait time was as much as two days on weekends and following that Obrador stated that he would enforce "order" on the Central Americans. Closing the border just means removing enough agents who check cars and trucks from Mexico to make it unprofitable to sell to the US so while you were hoping the US would lose, Trump began the shutdown and Obrador capitulated.

Making it harder to get through the border because there are fewer agents isn't shutting it down, it's SLOWING it down.

Face it, your Cheeto in Chief lied to you and you don't care. I'm guessing at this time next year, immigration numbers are going to be around the same, but Trump's threat to impose tariffs on Mexico will be long forgotten. Trump's followers have the attention spans of goldfish.

If someone lives in Mexico, but their job is in America, would those workers be considered as commercial traffic? Their work contributes to the economy of this country, and there are a lot of them.

It's easy to implement, just stop allowing cars and trucks to enter the US from Mexico. While this might be inconvenient for the American economy, if it lasted more than a few days, it would wreck the Mexican economy and even threaten its political stability.

Making it harder to get through the border because there are fewer agents isn't shutting it down, it's SLOWING it down.

Face it, your Cheeto in Chief lied to you and you don't care. I'm guessing at this time next year, immigration numbers are going to be around the same, but Trump's threat to impose tariffs on Mexico will be long forgotten. Trump's followers have the attention spans of goldfish.
link proving the attention span of a Trump follower.

It's easy to implement, just stop allowing cars and trucks to enter the US from Mexico. While this might be inconvenient for the American economy, if it lasted more than a few days, it would wreck the Mexican economy and even threaten its political stability.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that. Our economy would suffer as well. That is one of those lies that Trump sold you that you believe.

Clearly, you have no interest in discussing the issue but only in insulting the President and his supporters. If you ever become interested in any issues, let me know.

Forum List

Back