If Trump was President with gas over $5/gallon, who would be blamed?

Lets take all the exact same circumstances, but make Trump the President.

Now who would be repsonsible for gas prices and why?
True, but that's not really a positive for Trump.

And not blaming him, but the reality is we are running at about maximum refinery capacity, and oil companies haven't built any new refinery for 50 years, because they don't see a market supporting new gas production for the 50 or so years it would take to recoup the cost of a refinery

Since we're talking 1980-2022, I think trying to find some political issue here is ... not really a serious endeavor by either "side."

You might notice progressives in calif haven't really put up windmills on their cost, and Ted Kennedy shot down windmills that he thought would be unsightly while sailing his boat.

If he banned fracking and removed leases and did all the shit Biden did….I would blame Trump.

I BLAME TRUMP PARTIALLY FOR THIS ECONOMY BECAUSE HE SHOULD HAVE VETOED EVERY SPENDING BILL.

See what I did? I criticized Trump.

not

I can't even fathom the same set of circumstances under Trump but if he went nuts and was heading up the current clown show in DC I'd damn sure criticize him no end.

Had the election not been stolen by the dems:

I suspect the covid hoax would have been over much sooner and Fauci sent packing long ago.

There would be no war in Ukraine as he would have kept the EU/NATO ambitions toward Ukraine at arm's length thus Putin would have not felt threatened by Ukraine's entrance into NATO.

The border would be much more secure with hundreds more miles of wall built by now.

The regulatory agencies would still be reigned-in.

Gas would still be under $3.00.

That said I think we would be seeing some minor increase in inflation.....There was just way too much money in the system that he was responsible for signing off on (fuck you McConnell) while at the same time the fed was asleep at the switch.

Trump was not perfect by a long shot but he was not a enemy of the country like Tater & Co. either.

Oil spiked to over $147 a barrel in 2008 under GW Bush; what was the price per gallon then? Brent crude is a $119 now, so it is merely the oil companies' gouging, pure and simple. Don't recall the $147/bl price per gallon of gas at retail topping $3.30 the entire year. It's over $5/gal now because they know Americans are stupid and they can get away with it. All they need to do is tell a bunch of their dumbass parrots to run around sniveling about Biden like demented loons.

I doubt it would have ever gotten that bad in the first place. . .

It is clear, this administration has a political agenda, I do not see why folks are denying this.

The war in Ukraine, would have never been allowed to break out, thus, there would be no embargo on petroleum products, nor any distortion in the market.

Added to this, Biden had made several pronouncements that he was going to do away with oil and petroleum products, why do folks ignore this?

More of those exploratory leases would have been used, because the market and political climate is friendly to expansion, new drilling and refining of petroleum, and there would be no fear or creating new sources under a Trump administration.

From the article quoted by bendog;

". . . The EIA noted that, while refinery utilization will continue to increase over the upcoming months, total output will remain relatively low since total domestic capacity has dropped by 900,000 barrels per day since 2019. Total U.S. operable refinery capacity peaked at nearly 19 million barrels per day in early 2020, but has since fallen to about 17.9 million barrels per day, the latest federal data showed.

In addition, the last major refinery to be constructed in the U.S. was Marathon Oil’s facility built in Louisiana in 1977. Industry groups and experts blamed the declining capacity and lack of new refineries on environmental regulation and projected fuel demand decline in the future as governments push green energy alternatives.. . "

Now, I can't say for sure if they would have ever built another refinery, since the last one was built in the 1970's, but it is clear, that there is some capacity there, if we had the product. . . .

There is no reason to believe that this would not give relief to prices if it were not for the misguided economic and energy policies of the past two years.

Perhaps, the refinery capacity of current refineries needs to be increased, rather than building whole new refineries?

Trump would and here's why.

If you want to read the text of the complete Sherman Anti Trust act lawsuit it is here, otherwise just read what I copied.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/daugusta-etal-american-petroleum-complaint.pdf

23. On either the afternoon of Wednesday, April 1, 2020, or on Thursday, April 2, 2020, former President Trump, at the request of the Defendants, spoke with Vladimir Putin and with the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia in an effort to stop the price war. 24. On the next day, Thursday April 2, 2020, after his conversations with Saudi Arabia and Russia, the former President tweeted: “Just spoke to my friend MBS (Crown Prince) of Saudi Arabia, who spoke with President Putin of Russia, & I expect & hope that they will be cutting back approximately 10 Million Barrels, and maybe substantially more which, if it happens, will be GREAT for the oil & gas industry! ...Could be as high as 15 Million Barrels. Good (GREAT) news for everyone!” 25. On the next day, Friday, April 3, 2020, the former President met with the CEOs of the Defendants and others in the Cabinet Conference Room in the White House. The people who were present were as follows: a) The former President of the United States, Donald J. Trump; b) The American Petroleum Institute (API), by its Chief Executive Officer, Mike Sommers; c) Exxon Mobil Corporation, by its Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Darren Woods; d) Chevron Corporation, by its Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Michael Wirth; e) Phillips 66 Company, by its Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Greg Garland, who was to later serve as the CEO of API; f) Occidental Petroleum, by its President and Chief Executive Officer, Vicki Hollub; g) Devon Energy Corporation, by its President and Chief Executive Officer, David Hager; h) Continental Resources, Inc., by its Chairman of the Board of Directors, Harold Hamm; i) Hilcorp Energy Founder and Chairman, Jeff Hildenbrand; j) Energy Transfer Partners, by its Executive Chairman, Kelcy Warren; k) The United States Secretary Department of Interior, by David Bernhardt; Case 3:22-cv-01979 Document 1 Filed 03/28/22 Page 6 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Complaint for Violation of the Sherman Act 7 l) The United States Secretary Department of Energy, by Dan Brouillette; and m) The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, by Trade Representative, Robert Lighthizer. Others who were present at the introductory part of the meeting before the secret meeting were: n) Kevin McCarthy, United States Representative [R] California; o) John Cornyn, United States Senator [R] Texas; p) Ted Cruz, United States Senator [R] Texas; and q) Dan Sullivan, United States Senator [R] Alaska. 26. Before the secret part of the former President’s meeting with the CEOs of the Defendants, and API, the President advised the CEOs that he would tell them about the specifics of his conversations with the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia and President Vladimir Putin of Russia, in his effort to act as the facilitator to stop the price war so that the US producers could raise the price of oil and gasoline. 27. After the secret meeting with the Defendant oil companies, the CEO of API, Mr. Sommers, stated that the price war between Russia and Saudi Arabia, and the consequent excess supply of oil, were the principal subjects of the meeting. 28. As a result of the meeting, it was understood that if the price war were stopped, the Defendants would increase their prices for oil and gasoline. 29. On the following Monday and Tuesday, April 6 and 7, 2020, news articles appeared in the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times, stating that Saudi Arabia and Russia, as a condition of calling off the price war, required that the countries of North Case 3:22-cv-01979 Document 1 Filed 03/28/22 Page 7 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Complaint for Violation of the Sherman Act 8 America (the United States, Canada and Mexico), must also agree to cut production. 30. On Thursday, April 9, 2020, former President Trump signaled that there would be a reduction in domestic production when he tweeted: “[T]here is so much production, noone knows what to do with it.” 31. As a “signal” to Saudi Arabia and Russia, that the United States itself would cooperate in reducing the available oil supply on the market, Secretary of Energy, Mr. Brouillette, “opened the Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) to store excess oil from the U.S. producers. And I am pleased to report that crude oil deliveries of 21.3 million barrels to the SPR have been completed, a positive signal for the crude oil markets.” 32. Consequently, instead of filling the SPR with oil at very low prices for the benefit of the United States, the Department of Energy, in furtherance of the combination and conspiracy to withdraw oil supply from the market, simply stored over 20 million barrels of the excess oil from the U.S. producers and took it off the market. 33. On the same day, Thursday, April 9, 2020, OPEC held an emergency meeting to determine whether the price war would be called off. As a result of that emergency meeting, OPEC+ (Saudi Arabia and Russia) agreed to call off the price war and further agreed to cut the production of oil by 10 million barrels per day for at least a two-month period. 34. API’s Sommers lauded the agreement as the result of “strong U.S. diplomacy and reduced domestic production.” Mr. Sommers specifically stated that “this move will help stabilize world oil markets.” The American oil companies had agreed to the demands of Saudi Arabia and Russia. The cartel now included the Americans. It was, in effect and fact, OPEC++ (OPEC plus Russia plus America). 35. On Friday, April 10, 2020, at the G-20 meeting, it was made clear by Russian Case 3:22-cv-01979 Document 1 Filed 03/28/22 Page 8 of 25

30. On Thursday, April 9, 2020, former President Trump signaled that there would be a reduction in domestic production when he tweeted: “[T]here is so much production, noone knows what to do with it.” 31. As a “signal” to Saudi Arabia and Russia, that the United States itself would cooperate in reducing the available oil supply on the market, Secretary of Energy, Mr. Brouillette, “opened the Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) to store excess oil from the U.S. producers. And I am pleased to report that crude oil deliveries of 21.3 million barrels to the SPR have been completed, a positive signal for the crude oil markets.” 32. Consequently, instead of filling the SPR with oil at very low prices for the benefit of the United States, the Department of Energy, in furtherance of the combination and conspiracy to withdraw oil supply from the market, simply stored over 20 million barrels of the excess oil from the U.S. producers and took it off the market.

I really appreciate the cultists being honest and saying they would blame Trump, but they will not blame Biden.

It gives keen insight into your bullshit.

I really appreciate the cultists being honest and saying they would blame Trump, but they will not blame Biden.
That's a fine example of the infallibilty of the "every accusation by a Republican is a confession" rule.

That is, he's a shamelessly corrupt political hack, so that's what he instantly auto-accuses the ethical people of doing. Why? To deflect away from his own shameless hackery.

Forum List

Back