If We Totally Got Rid of the Minimum Wage, Where Do You Think The Bottom Wage Would Finally Wind Up?

What would the minimum hourly full time wage go to after five years of no minimum wage?

• $9

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • $8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $7

• $6

• $5

• $4

• $3

• $2

• $1

• $0, we would have a return of slavery

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
By definition of "no minimum wage" there would be no minimum which would be interpreted a possible zero per hour. Practically, there would be little change in wages in that the current minimum wage for most low skill jobs is not significantly higher than what the market would support.

Where you would probably see lower wages is with teenagers working in their part time jobs.

Which is the way it should be. Why should the teenager scooping ice cream at Dairy Queen make 15 dollars an hour......?

McDonalds has a starting pay rate of 9 dollars an hour......

McDonalds to give a pay raise to hourly workers

The result: the fast food giant projects that its average hourly wage will reach more than $10 an hour by the end of 2016 -- up from $9.01 currently. The new average will be $2.75 above the federal minimum wage.

Kind of blows the whole burger flipping job not paying any money crap to pieces.....

And no, you can't provide for a family on 9.00 an hour...but you aren't supposed to...if you have to you have done something wrong in your life.......

By definition of "no minimum wage" there would be no minimum which would be interpreted a possible zero per hour. Practically, there would be little change in wages in that the current minimum wage for most low skill jobs is not significantly higher than what the market would support.

Where you would probably see lower wages is with teenagers working in their part time jobs.

Which is the way it should be. Why should the teenager scooping ice cream at Dairy Queen make 15 dollars an hour......?
Yeah, part time work is not part of this calculation for the minimum wage. Has it ever been?

Slaves didn't have a choice, moron. They were property
Historically, yes some slaves did. The Janissaries, Mamelukes, and most slaves could buy their freedom after they saved their price paid for them if their master was willing. Some sold themselves into slavery, dude.

Your lack of knowledge regarding history of slavery does not make me the moron, dude.

So their wages couldn't have been zero. Right?

Historically, yes some slaves did. The Janissaries, Mamelukes, and most slaves could buy their freedom after they saved their price paid for them if their master was willing. Some sold themselves into slavery, dude.

Your lack of knowledge regarding history of slavery does not make me the moron, dude.

The idea of wages is not common prior to the Modern Era. The slaves made their money 'on the side' and some saved up enough to buy their freedom. The Jannissaries and Mamelukes ran their respective empires, even though they were slaves.

The underside of slavery is the chattel slavery and debt slavery. There are people who sell themselves into slavery to avoid debt payments being applied to their family, and they do this voluntarily. Some sign such a contract knowing that they will be able to buy their way out later, or believing they can, and others are just so deep in despair it is the only way to avoid prison for debts.

If We Totally Got Rid of the Minimum Wage, Where Do You Think The Bottom Wage Would Finally Wind Up?

Based on the past 7 years, I'd say the White House

Yeah, part time work is not part of this calculation for the minimum wage. Has it ever been?

But part time work is covered by minimum wage laws. The only exception to the minimum wage is usually tipped workers like waiters, and even then they do have a minimum that takes into account some vague tip calculation.

If we raise the minimum to $15 an hour carte blanche even the part time first time workers get covered by it.

The idea of wages is not common prior to the Modern Era. The slaves made their money 'on the side' and some saved up enough to buy their freedom. The Jannissaries and Mamelukes ran their respective empires, even though they were slaves.

The underside of slavery is the chattel slavery and debt slavery. There are people who sell themselves into slavery to avoid debt payments being applied to their family, and they do this voluntarily. Some sign such a contract knowing that they will be able to buy their way out later, or believing they can, and others are just so deep in despair it is the only way to avoid prison for debts.

You do realize that this is 2016....right? Slavery exists in Africa and other parts of the world and in various criminal activities here in the states....but empoyees are free to work or not work...right?

But part time work is covered by minimum wage laws. The only exception to the minimum wage is usually tipped workers like waiters, and even then they do have a minimum that takes into account some vague tip calculation.

If we raise the minimum to $15 an hour carte blanche even the part time first time workers get covered by it.

Well then that would be a good modification to such laws. Have a two tier system of minimum wage so that teens can find work.

You do realize that this is 2016....right? Slavery exists in Africa and other parts of the world and in various criminal activities here in the states....but empoyees are free to work or not work...right?

Do you know what an 'unpaid intern' is?

Well then that would be a good modification to such laws. Have a two tier system of minimum wage so that teens can find work.

There isn't a teen minimum wage anymore? There was when I was a kid.

There isn't a teen minimum wage anymore? There was when I was a kid.

Not in NY there isn't.

Considering I haven't seen "unpaid intern" traders shipping unpaid interns to the market for sale, any comparison to Slavery is shaky at best. Supposedly you gain "experience", however as an Engineer, my internship was a paid one, like all other Engineering internships, so I didn't have to go through that.

With no minimum wage I would guess fast food jobs would go down, but everything else would go up. But I think the down would be temporary because as soon as you gain marketable skills youd leave for a higher paying job anyway so even fast food would be forced to pay higher wages than they wanted to.

Yeah, we do-
Hillary, pay your interns: Column - USA TODAY
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...ton-unpaid-intern-millenials-column/28936259/
96 percent of minimum wage-supporting Democrats don't pay interns
96 percent of minimum wage-supporting Democrats don't pay interns

Correct, my knowledge on a subject is not what makes you a moron. For the first time in this thread you got something right.

Correct, my knowledge on a subject is not what makes you a moron. For the first time in this thread you got something right.

lol, insults and bullshit are all you got, loser.

Feel free to piss off somewhere else and not troll this thread.

lol, insults and bullshit are all you got, loser.

Feel free to piss off somewhere else and not troll this thread.

I simply don't suffer fools, that's all. If you seriously believe slavery will return without a minimum wage, yes, you are a fool, and not worth my nor anyone else's time.

Forum List

Back