If You Are An American......

It's Risen, and he was not implicated by the espionage act.

No it's James Rosen of Fox News not James Risen of the New York Times who was also under investigation but I'm talking about James Rosen not Risen, and you're wrong:

In 2013, the United States Department of Justice, under Attorney General Eric Holder, came under scrutiny from the media and some members of Congress for subpoenaing phone records from the Associated Press(AP) and naming Fox News reporter, James Rosen, a "criminal co-conspirator" under the Espionage Act of 1917 in order to gain access to his personal emails and phone records.

2013 Department of Justice investigations of reporters - Wikipedia

On May 17, 2013, the Washington Postreported the United States Department of Justice had monitored Rosen's activities by tracking his visits to the State Department, through phone traces, timing of calls and his personal emails.[7]

To obtain the warrants, the Justice Department said he was "accused in a Justice Department affidavit of being a possible criminal 'co-conspirator'" with Stephen Jin-Woo Kim. Fox News' executive Michael Clemente said, "We are outraged to learn today that James Rosen was named a criminal co-conspirator for simply doing his job as a reporter."[8] Attorney General Eric Holder personally signed off on the search warrant of Rosen, who was labeled a "flight-risk" to keep from being informed of the ongoing surveillance.[9] The Justice Department's methods have caused various analysts and others to express concerns that "aggressive investigation of classified leaks by government officials are having a chilling effect on news organizations' ability to play a watchdog role" according to USA Today.[10][11]Fox News contributor, former judge Andrew Napolitano, commented: "This is the first time that the federal government has moved to this level of taking ordinary, reasonable, traditional, lawful reporter skills and claiming they constitute criminal behavior."[12]

James Rosen (journalist) - Wikipedia

Your defense of the fascist Obama administration is truly sad especially given that you're not even talking about the right person.

He was issued a subpoena to testify against his informant who was indicted under the espionage act.

And if I'm not mistaken the wiretaps related to Risen occurred during the Bush administration. You can see how these things gain strength from one administration to the next. It's a sign of the times. The empire is in decay. It's rot clearly evident.

So aside from getting all the facts wrong, yes, you get my drift.

Lol you're not even talking about the right person kid genius.
Your defense of the fascist Obama administration is truly sad especially given that you're not even talking about the right person.
I'm clearly not here defending Obama.
I was talking about James Risen, the person who wrote the op ed that I linked and you quoted.

I didn't quote anything about Risen I don't think I was talking about Rosen.
You quoted my link. Anyway, it is just a misunderstanding. I wasn't aware of James Rosen. Thank you for pointing it out.

I'm sure the OP, being the good citizen that he is, opposed the Obama administration's behavior and spoke out about it. Just as I'm sure republicans opposed the Bush administration's wiretapping of Risen at the time. :rolleyes-41:

I guess the point that was raised earlier in this thread was that partisans need to police their own and stop blaming the other side for things that they themselves turned a blind eye to.

And we should all be watching carefully how the Trump administration proceeds.

Source on the Bush wiretapping of Risen.
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/sections/news/sterling_filing.pdf

Last edited:
......you ought to oppose the bullshit that our AG (who is guilty of lying under oath) said today regarding the issuing of subpoenas to members of the press.
I suppose he should issue the subpoenas to the Garbage men then.................

Maybe they know who leaked the information to the press............

This place cracks me up.

......you ought to oppose the bullshit that our AG (who is guilty of lying under oath) said today regarding the issuing of subpoenas to members of the press.
Further proof of the contempt most on the right have for a free press.

Sessions is acting in bad faith, motivated by partisan politics, not a desire to serve the rule of law.

Sessions vows review of 'media subpoenas' amid ramped-up leak investigations
Actually, the right has contempt for abuse of the power of the free press ... we do not object to the free press, we object to it being used by the left as a tool to subvert American values.

Quit whining. It's not being used by the left. You fuckers are going to realize this someday.

You fucking have the WH and both houses of congress and a court shifted in your favor.

Stop whining about how the deck is stacked against you. You fucking baby.
I want to congratulate you on the most mature, effective, and thoughtful contribution today.

What a childish rant .... grow the fuck up.

Every American worth the name should be opposing democrats by any and all means necessary.

No it's James Rosen of Fox News not James Risen of the New York Times who was also under investigation but I'm talking about James Rosen not Risen, and you're wrong:

In 2013, the United States Department of Justice, under Attorney General Eric Holder, came under scrutiny from the media and some members of Congress for subpoenaing phone records from the Associated Press(AP) and naming Fox News reporter, James Rosen, a "criminal co-conspirator" under the Espionage Act of 1917 in order to gain access to his personal emails and phone records.

2013 Department of Justice investigations of reporters - Wikipedia

On May 17, 2013, the Washington Postreported the United States Department of Justice had monitored Rosen's activities by tracking his visits to the State Department, through phone traces, timing of calls and his personal emails.[7]

To obtain the warrants, the Justice Department said he was "accused in a Justice Department affidavit of being a possible criminal 'co-conspirator'" with Stephen Jin-Woo Kim. Fox News' executive Michael Clemente said, "We are outraged to learn today that James Rosen was named a criminal co-conspirator for simply doing his job as a reporter."[8] Attorney General Eric Holder personally signed off on the search warrant of Rosen, who was labeled a "flight-risk" to keep from being informed of the ongoing surveillance.[9] The Justice Department's methods have caused various analysts and others to express concerns that "aggressive investigation of classified leaks by government officials are having a chilling effect on news organizations' ability to play a watchdog role" according to USA Today.[10][11]Fox News contributor, former judge Andrew Napolitano, commented: "This is the first time that the federal government has moved to this level of taking ordinary, reasonable, traditional, lawful reporter skills and claiming they constitute criminal behavior."[12]

James Rosen (journalist) - Wikipedia

I'm clearly not here defending Obama.
I was talking about James Risen, the person who wrote the op ed that I linked and you quoted.

I didn't quote anything about Risen I don't think I was talking about Rosen.
You quoted my link. Anyway, it is just a misunderstanding. I wasn't aware of James Rosen. Thank you for pointing it out.

I'm sure the OP, being the good citizen that he is, opposed the Obama administration's behavior and spoke out about it. Just as I'm sure republicans opposed the Bush administration's wiretapping of Risen at the time. :rolleyes-41:

I guess the point that was raised earlier in this thread was that partisans need to police their own and stop blaming the other side for things that they themselves turned a blind eye to.

And we should all be watching carefully how the Trump administration proceeds.

Source on the Bush wiretapping of Risen.
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/sections/news/sterling_filing.pdf
I cannot find a proper source linking the Bush administration to wiretapping Risen. I retract my earlier statement.

If you disseminate classified information, whether intentional or not (unless you're Hillary) you are committing a crime. There are no exclusions

-Geaux

If you disseminate classified information, whether intentional or not (unless you're Hillary) you are committing a crime. There are no exclusions

-Geaux
Are you supportive then of Sessions' threats to go after the press in an attempt to discover their sources?

-Geaux
Are you supportive then of Sessions' threats to go after the press in an attempt to discover their sources?

Yes- If information was classified. The source needs arrested. I'm supportive of Sessions going after the reporter if said reporter knew the info is classified

-Geaux

-Geaux

Yes- If information was classified. The source needs arrested. I'm supportive of Sessions going after the reporter if said reporter knew the info is classified

-Geaux
Freedom of the press is an essential component of maintaining liberty and is guaranteed by the first amendment. Government reserves no right to coerce journalists.

The people, not the government, possess the absolute sovereignty. The legislature, no less than the executive, is under limitations of power. Encroachments are regarded as possible from the one, as well as from the other. Hence, in the United States, the great and essential rights of the people are secured against legislative, as well as against executive ambition. They are secured, not by laws paramount to prerogative, but by constitutions paramount to laws. This security of the freedom of the press requires, that it should be exempt, not only from previous restraint by the executive, as in Great Britain, but from legislative restraint also; and this exemption, to be effectual, must be an exemption not only from the previous inspection of licensers, but from the subsequent penalty of laws.
James Madison
http://www.constitution.org/rf/vr_1799.htm

Forum List

Back