If you only care about Rights (or content) you agree with, do you really care about them at all?

They are being punished for what they said, plain and simple...
Yes they are. And while they have the right to stand on the sidewalk and protest that they do not have the right to say whatever they like and still get educated there. Your "You can't tell me what to do" whine is getting old. Time to grew up now and realize that if you break the rules, they hand you your hat.

A government entity cannot enforce a code of conduct that violates constitutional rights.
Where'd you get that dumbass idea from? You never head of the Military? Free Speech doesn't mean you can say anything you like, anywhere you like, and never has.

The military is an explicit exception to the rule.

Not it isn't. Every government entity has a code of conduct for its employees. Without exception.

Please separate private and public functions.
Good luck with that.

Example, let's say that I work for Obama and do my job well during the week but on weekends I call him, publicly, a stupid ****** who shouldn't be President, which is my right to say. I have the right alright, I just don't have an income come Monday. See how that works?

You serve at the sufferance of Obama, you are not a student at a public university. If you are a civil servant however, you actually would have protections.
I'd be serving at his pleasure, and I'd be fired in an instant, without any recourse. Telling your boss he's an asshole is no way to keep a job. How long before you figure this out?

All the recent discussion about the OU incident, and the ongoing 2nd amendment discussions has led me to ask this question.

If you say you support the rights of others, does it really count if you only support said rights only when you agree with the expression or content of those rights?
If a black UO fraternity was caught on film chanting bigoted stuff, I would completely support their charter being revoked and the school kicking them off campus for violating the student standards of conduct.

"Free speech" does not mean your boss or your school do not get to tell you what you can and cannot say that would reflect badly on the reputation of your employer or school.

You can assail the reputation of an employer all you like, just not as an employee of that business.

Free expression is one thing. These kids were given codes of conduct which they must follow. If they didn't like them, go somewhere else.

A government entity cannot enforce a code of conduct that violates constitutional rights. No person was confronted when those idiots sang that song. No person was directly harassed.

FIRE has been fighting codes like this (and winning) for decades now.
Bullshit Marty. It's not exactly rocket science to realize students, even college students, do not have the same first amendment rights in the university context as adults in free society have. And, even then, you put something on social media your boss doesn't like, they can fire you. You may think you're in an alternate universe, immune to realities of law and commerce, but you're not.

They actually have MORE rights than adults do, because they are not employees. And these ARE adults, not minors. You people keep bringing up the worker/employer relationship, where clearly this is not a case of that.
The limitation placed upon the right of Free Speech is the same. Work for the man, or study under him, and you follow his rules or you go your own way. It's not complicated, it's the real world.

No it isn't. Again, this is not an employer-employee relationship.
You're correct, it's even more strict, but the rules were known to them. If a big white college football star said on nation TV that I hate having to shower with those dirty ******* his next position involves taking out the garbage, at McDonalds, in Iowa. Just because you don't like the standards doesn't mean they don't apply. Show your school in a bad light and suddenly you need a new school. That's life, now you know.

OU has a student code of conduct

21 Mental harassment, being intentional conduct extreme or outrageous, or calculated to cause severe embarrassment, humiliation, shame, fright, grief or intimidation To constitute mental harassment, the conduct must be of such a nature that a reasonable person would not tolerate it.
27 Racial harassment is subjecting any person to differential treatment on the basis of race without legitimate, nondiscriminatory reason When harassment is primarily racial in nature, the provisions of the Racial and Ethnic Harassment Policy shall apply

RACIAL AND ETHNIC HARASSMENT POLICY
I Introduction Diversity is one of the strengths of our society as well as one of the hallmarks of a great university The University of Oklahoma supports diversity and therefore is committed to maintaining employment and educational settings which are multicultural, multiethnic and multiracial Respecting cultural differences and promoting dignity among all members of the University community are responsibilities each of us must share

2 The University shall not subject an individual to different treatment on the basis of race by effectively causing, encouraging, accepting, tolerating or failing to correct a racially hostile environment of which it has notice.

on top of this there are also organization codes of conducts, which are on campus property. (Frat house was on campus property)

No single person was actually harassed. Having your feelings hurt by a video is not being harassed.
Further, those that may have felt "mentally harassed" by the video, had the right to not watch the video. I would not sleep at night if I ever watched those ISI beheading videos, so I ensure I avoid watching them.

No it isn't. Again, this is not an employer-employee relationship.

As students, those punks were representatives of the university. Thus, any negative behavior on their part affects the reputation of that university.

The university has every right to protect its reputation from the slanderous behavior of those punks.

It baffles me you are unable to grasp this simple principle.

Further, those that may have felt "mentally harassed" by the video, had the right to not watch the video. I would not sleep at night if I ever watched those ISI beheading videos, so I ensure I avoid watching them.

What reputation does ISIS have as a result of those videos?

You've never watched them, but you have an opinion about ISIS because of them.

Sigh.....I'm in a shitty position here. I agree with Marty on what the university SHOULD have done, as a matter of policy. And on the students not violating the harassment standard, as they didn't direct their comments at any person.

But I still recognize that the public institution has the authority to apply rules that impose consequences for using such speech on campus. As there is no right to consequence free speech. And the 'government speech standards' Marty made reference to are more than likely imaginary.

All the recent discussion about the OU incident, and the ongoing 2nd amendment discussions has led me to ask this question.

If you say you support the rights of others, does it really count if you only support said rights only when you agree with the expression or content of those rights?
Obviously not. Notice how all the liberal turds in this forum are supporting OU. They believe government has the right to silence speech they find offensive.
Free expression is one thing. These kids were given codes of conduct which they must follow. If they didn't like them, go somewhere else.

A government entity cannot enforce a code of conduct that violates constitutional rights. No person was confronted when those idiots sang that song. No person was directly harassed.

Bullshit Marty. It's not exactly rocket science to realize students, even college students, do not have the same first amendment rights in the university context as adults in free society have. And, even then, you put something on social media your boss doesn't like, they can fire you. You may think you're in an alternate universe, immune to realities of law and commerce, but you're not.
Students were horribly insulted when the student legislative board discussed banning flags, including the American Flag in the building lobby for other students may find it offensive. Why do they have the right to say things that may be deemed as insulting, but others don't?

Sure, you will say they are not the same thing. But that is your opinion. Some students were brought up in military families where they were told that their fathers died for what the American Flag stands for. It is not your place to determine how important the American Flag is to them.

Obviously not. Notice how all the liberal turds in this forum are supporting OU. They believe government has the right to silence speech they find offensive.

Students were horribly insulted when the student legislative board discussed banning flags, including the American Flag in the building lobby for other students may find it offensive. Why do they have the right to say things that may be deemed as insulting, but others don't?

Sure, you will say they are not the same thing. But that is your opinion. Some students were brought up in military families where they were told that their fathers died for what the American Flag stands for. It is not your place to determine how important the American Flag is to them.
The school moved very quickly to preserve its reputation in the American flag situation, too.

This misguided legislation was not endorsed or supported in any way by the campus leadership, the University of California, or the broader student body. The views of a handful of students passing a resolution do not represent the opinions of the nearly 30,000 students on this campus, and have no influence on the policies and practices of the university.

UCI student executive council vetoes flag resolution UCIrvine News

21 Mental harassment, being intentional conduct extreme or outrageous, or calculated to cause severe embarrassment, humiliation, shame, fright, grief or intimidation To constitute mental harassment, the conduct must be of such a nature that a reasonable person would not tolerate it.
27 Racial harassment is subjecting any person to differential treatment on the basis of race without legitimate, nondiscriminatory reason When harassment is primarily racial in nature, the provisions of the Racial and Ethnic Harassment Policy shall apply

I Introduction Diversity is one of the strengths of our society as well as one of the hallmarks of a great university The University of Oklahoma supports diversity and therefore is committed to maintaining employment and educational settings which are multicultural, multiethnic and multiracial Respecting cultural differences and promoting dignity among all members of the University community are responsibilities each of us must share

2 The University shall not subject an individual to different treatment on the basis of race by effectively causing, encouraging, accepting, tolerating or failing to correct a racially hostile environment of which it has notice.

on top of this there are also organization codes of conducts, which are on campus property. (Frat house was on campus property)

Making a video isn't harassing anyone. If the OU code of conduct violates the First Amendment, it's illegal. End of story.

You mean like women's rights?

Making a video isn't harassing anyone. If the OU code of conduct violates the First Amendment, it's illegal. End of story.
They can always sue, but they won't win, not with that video around. Mommy sets the rules, and mommy spank.

Well I guess you should hold your breath until the alumn's suit against OU is successful.

A government entity cannot enforce a code of conduct that violates constitutional rights.
Where'd you get that dumbass idea from? You never head of the Military? Free Speech doesn't mean you can say anything you like, anywhere you like, and never has.

Yes, it actually does. The military is a separate issue.
Nope. Every government agency has a code of conduct which regulates the behavior and speech of its employees.

Without exception.

Here's the deal boys, the real world. Here, in America, you can pretty much shoot your mouth off and say anything you like, anywhere you like. That being said, what you can't do is expect every dumbass thing you might say not to get your ass fired or thrown out of school. If you want to stand on the street corner and scream that Jesus is Lord, or the End is Near, or God hates Fags, knock yourself out I will defend you to the death. If however you say that the girl at the cash register has a cute ass and you'd really like to drill her to the boss, and it's his goddamned daughter so he fires you on the spot, you're on your own.

I once suggested a password to a girl decades ago that was NSFW, and was promptly fired. That wasn't Free Speech, that was Fucking Dumb.

Wrong. Private companies can do what they like in response to what you say. Public universities, on the other hand are legally bound by the terms of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

You're just a big fat ignoramus who doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about.

Yes, it actually does. The military is a separate issue.
LOL. No, it's isn't. It's an example of how what you are doing and where you are doing changes the rules. Working for the man, going to school, serving in the armed forces is not standing on the sidewalk. If you want to preach the Word of God then do so, but not in the public classroom with schoolkids during the school day when you are a teacher, it's not allowed.

Forum List

Back