If you think government should get out of marriage completely

If you really want to know how to "settle divorce disputes, division of property, and inheritence issues", just ask the homosexual community. They've been dealing with no government in their relationships the longest.

They are the libertarian model! The answer to all your questions.

That's hilarious, seeing as how male-female marriage has predated America by thousands of years. Or did you not know that?

Dude. This topic is about how to get government out of marriage. Not about the definition of marriage.

Gays have not had government in their marriage until today. We heteros have had government all up in our marriages for at least a century.

So if you want to know how to function without government in marriage, ask the gays. They have a wealth of experience at it.

(Bold)

WRONG!

That is exactly what it was about yesterday. Sorry.

Second, [MENTION=38842]AmyNation[/MENTION]: referred to them as "civil unions" so in that case, they have been dealing with the government, since only the government can dictate what a "civil union" is.

I don't need to ask any gay people about anything, since you are obviously incorrect. Marriage as an institution has existed long before our government was founded. You can ask men and women (via a seance) back in the 18th and 19th century how free marriage was. A civil union and a marriage are two different things.

Last edited:
That's hilarious, seeing as how male-female marriage has predated America by thousands of years. Or did you not know that?

Dude. This topic is about how to get government out of marriage. Not about the definition of marriage.

Gays have not had government in their marriage until today. We heteros have had government all up in our marriages for at least a century.

So if you want to know how to function without government in marriage, ask the gays. They have a wealth of experience at it.

Then I would sincerely love to know what gays have experienced in this regard.

All you have to do is give up about a thousand government cash and prizes. That's it.

Doesn't matter. The evangelicals will not tell us how to run the government and the law. Don't marry one of your own sex is your answer for yourself. Clear.

What do evangelicals and what they will or wont do have to do with anything?

He can't give you a straight answer. Time is best not wasted with his non sequiturs.

(Bold)

WRONG!

Second, [MENTION=38842]AmyNation[/MENTION]: referred to them as "civil unions" so in that case, they have been dealing with the government, since only the government can dictate what a "civil union" is.

I don't need to ask any gay people about anything, since you are obviously incorrect. Marriage as an institution has existed long before our government was founded. You can ask men and women (via a seance) back in the 18th and 19th century how free marriage was. A civil union and a marriage are two different things.

You clearly have no idea what topic you are in.

(Bold)

WRONG!

Title of the thread

"If you think government should get out of marriage completely"

Yes, I do. You are correct marriage predates the government. It's a fundamental part of many religions, Catholics consider it a sacrament.

So government should have no part in regulating it.

Government should be involved in regulating contracts, and I see no reason the government can't issue civil union licenses and grant all their benefits based on those and stay away from the term" Marriage " and all that it implies.

Doesn't matter. The evangelicals will not tell us how to run the government and the law. Don't marry one of your own sex is your answer for yourself. Clear.

What do evangelicals and what they will or wont do have to do with anything?

He can't give you a straight answer. Time is best not wasted with his non sequiturs.

The answer is clear. Evangelical heresies are no longer the basis for law making.

Our constitution is our secular bible, the only one we need.

Well, many have had their loved one's families come in and claim all their property when a partner dies. Many have been denied access to their dying partners in the hospital. Oh and we have to spend thousands in legal fees for a fraction of the protections.

We've not really had a problem getting married though...plenty of churches will oficiate.

All you have to do is give up about a thousand government cash and prizes. That's it.

None of this explains how any such disputes are settled if the government is not involved.

But if there isn't a working definiton of marriage, how do they know if one exists?

Well a marriage contract either exists or it doesn't. If no contract exists then the court has nothing to say on the matter of divorce.

Well, how do we determine what is a valid marriage Contract? is it enough to say one is married? (That was pretty much common law marriage before it was abolished in most places). Does the contract have to be registered somwhere?

How do we determine what is a valid contract? The same way.

(Bold)

WRONG!

You clearly have no idea what topic you are in.

So that suffices for an argument? So be it. You liberals can hardly discern what plane of reality you are in, much less what thread you are in. Carry on.

Last edited:

(Bold)

WRONG!

Title of the thread

Yes, I do. You are correct marriage predates the government. It's a fundamental part of many religions, Catholics consider it a sacrament.

Government should be involved in regulating contracts, and I see no reason the government can't issue civil union licenses and grant all their benefits based on those and stay away from the term" Marriage " and all that it implies.

So to say that gay people have had more experience with non government sanctioned marriages would be incorrect, would it not?

Well a marriage contract either exists or it doesn't. If no contract exists then the court has nothing to say on the matter of divorce.

Well, how do we determine what is a valid marriage Contract? is it enough to say one is married? (That was pretty much common law marriage before it was abolished in most places). Does the contract have to be registered somwhere?

Who determines if such a contract is valid? Would that not require some sort of validation on an authoritative level?

So we write on a piece of a paper that we are married, sign it, and then notorize it if we have to? What happens if we lose the paper? Are we no longer married?

(Bold)

WRONG!

Title of the thread

So to say that gay people have had more experience with non government sanctioned marriages would be incorrect, would it not?

No, it wouldn't. Hets have been able to legally marry, we have not. Our relationships, until very recently, have not had the legal status of civil marriage.

(Bold)

WRONG!

Title of the thread

It would be completely incorrect.

No living hetero has any experience whatsoever with no government in their marriage. Not only that, most of the government programs which affect marriage never existed before, in any time. Federal income tax. Social Security. On and on.

Nice try.

Every homosexual who has been in a committed relationship has experience out the wazoo.

Last edited:

Who determines if such a contract is valid? Would that not require some sort of validation on an authoritative level?

As I said earlier, you go through the courts.

So we write on a piece of a paper that we are married, sign it, and then notorize it if we have to? What happens if we lose the paper? Are we no longer married?

What happens if you lose any other type of contract?

Title of the thread

No, it wouldn't. Hets have been able to legally marry, we have not. Our relationships, until very recently, have not had the legal status of civil marriage.

That isn't true. There are 12 states that legally allow marriages of homosexual couples. You cannot say that with a straight face, Seawytch. So it is indeed incorrect on that basis alone.

If homosexuality were a religion or a faith, they would be allowed to conduct conjugal rites as they see fit. But, nope. I mean a guy can get a religion created for Pastafarians, why can't homosexuals do the same? That is the easiest way around it, since it would be protected by the 1st and 14th Amendments.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back