Illiterate Rachel Jeantel says she wants to be a lawyer!!!

And how does that prevent her from learning how to?

Did she appear to you to be a dynamic, energetic, eager, go getter, disciplined, motivated type of person? can you change a person's personality?

I can't change another person's personality. But they can change their own personality. And God can change it.

God can change it if the person is willing to change. The one thing I can say on her behalf is the notion of her having any kind of job probably did not seriously come to mind until the past 10 days when she began talking to people and getting offers of school. Perhaps she will take advantage of the tutors and then go to some school that would be more appropriate for her needs and realistic future career.

Last edited:
Really? Because I know some people who graduated law school who could barely write. It flabbergasted me when I realized that.

I've met some lawyers who aren't really that great intellectually at all.

it doesn't take intelligence. It takes doing the work.

Doing the work is insufficient. It requires a manner of thinking.. a mindset.

To be a musician one need not know grammar very well and can flunk history. Mozart did not become a great muscian because he worked hard although if you have the mindset, working hard helps.

An artist may not excel in certain topics and even be deemed of low intelligence, but they can create... not because they work hard, although if you have the mindset, working hard helps.

Same with an attorney but perhaps not as pronounced... and it is possible that you can learn to "think like an attorney".. Intelligence helps as does hard work, but if you can not think like a lawyer you can never be a good lawyer. Some very bright people could not become lawyers and it was not because they did not work hard... been there, seen that.

Last edited:
Let's be realistic. She could not be a lawyer, paralegal or receptionist. If she could read, she could sort mail in a larger firm and that is as close as she is going to get to a lawyer.

If she is good with children, she could be a Child Care helper, Nurses Aide, work in a cleaners, even working in McDonalds would be hard because of her size.

Did she appear to you to be a dynamic, energetic, eager, go getter, disciplined, motivated type of person? can you change a person's personality?

I can't change another person's personality. But they can change their own personality. And God can change it.

God can change it if the person is willing to change. The one thing I can say on her behalf is the notion of her having any kind of job probably did not seriously come to mind until the past 10 days when she began talking to people and getting offers of school. Perhaps she will take advantage of the tutors and then go to some school that would be more appropriate for her needs and realistic future career.

Everyone reaches a point where they can change if they want. The question is will she?

Really? Because I know some people who graduated law school who could barely write. It flabbergasted me when I realized that.

I've met some lawyers who aren't really that great intellectually at all.

it doesn't take intelligence. It takes doing the work.

Doing the work is insufficient. It requires a manner of thinking.. a mindset.

To be a musician one need not know grammar very well and can flunk history. Mozart did not become a great muscian because he worked hard although if you have the mindset, working hard helps.

An artist may not excel in certain topics and even be deemed of low intelligence, but they can create... not because they work hard, although if you have the mindset, working hard helps.

Same with an attorney but perhaps not as pronounced... and it is possible that you can learn to "think like an attorney".. Intelligence helps as does hard work, but if you can not think like a lawyer you can never be a good lawyer. Some very bright people could not become lawyers and it was not because they did not work hard... been there, seen that.

I disagree. One can learn to be an attorney. Doesn't mean you'd be a good attorney. But you can become an attorney.

Okay, I think I see what Avatar is doing here. It's a spiritual exercise s/he does. She does not recognize that there ARE any natural limits to human accomplishment: that is, there is no such thing as a person having an IQ of 65 and thus being limited from being a rocket scientist.

More interestingly (as that first is implausible and we know there is such a thing as basic high or low IQ) Avatar is refusing to accept how a person presents himself/herself right now has having any predictive value. A person who can't read, talks ebonics so whites can't understand him, wears pants hanging down around his penis, may nevertheless become a Supreme Court Justice. Well, come to think of Clarence Thomas and his refusal to ever speak in public, probably because he is too stupid, that may well happen.

You think, Avatar, that a person can change infinitely and that the past does NOT predict the future so any judgement we make about someone now, for instance that this girl who is misshapen, illiterate, and can't talk can become a dancer for the New York Ballet and later a U.S. Senator.

No limits! No matter how badly you start out.

Well, it's not practical -- I think the present and past DO predict the future at least better than anything else does, which I agree isn't saying much, but your exercise is at least an interesting one, though I would hope you wouldn't use it to walk on the South Side of Chicago, frankly. Or to choose employees or a mate. It's impractical.

But interesting; thank you for that complex perspective.

Some of you are so pessimistic.

People can better themselves. No matter how much you put them down, they can be better.

If she wants to be an attorney, she can work hard to become one.

If she puts in the same kind of hard work and dedication into graduating high school (she's 19 and still in school) sure she can be a lawyer. The truth is, no matter how much she is pushed through school with social promotion she won't pass the bar if she can't read and understand the questions and can't draft a coherent answer.

Let's see. She's gonna have to get through law school and pass a bar exam if she's serious. I'd be willing to put a few bucks on how that might turn out if I could find any suckers.

So Trayvon wanted to be a pilot, and DeeDee wants to be a lawyer.

What will we find out next, that the Arizona fruit drink wanted to be Cabernet Sauvignon?

She could think that a law license is another entitlement. If she says it's racist not to give her one, maybe she can get it that way.

We all have limitations. Hers were evident in her appearance, speech and demeanor. She needs to take any job she can find, or make babies and get welfare checks. That's about it.

What will we find out next, that the Arizona fruit drink wanted to be Cabernet Sauvignon?

I was reading a thoughtful article some time ago that said this kind of completely unrealistic expectation is common among blacks. They are taught all that "self-esteem" stuff in school so they think they can do anything they want without any qualifications whatsoever. No one ever tells them they actually have to accomplish anything or have certain baseline abilities. Well, and these types like these two are of course very low IQ and so they can't really think capably about what they can expect from life --- they aren't able to realize that being a pilot or a lawyer is way out of their reach.

I thought the article made interesting points. He interviewed a lot of blacks at McDonalds and they all wanted to be CEO of the company, but they couldn't even hold down a counter job; they'd quit after a few weeks.

Probably it would be better if schools gave blacks more realistic expectations and trained them up for simpler jobs by emphasizing basic discipline and basic skills. But that would be non-PC -- they are supposed to pretend all these poor stupid kids can be lawyers and pilots or whatever they see on TV.

Last edited:

I was reading a thoughtful article some time ago that said this kind of completely unrealistic expectation is common among blacks. They are taught all that "self-esteem" stuff in school so they think they can do anything they want without any qualifications whatsoever. No one ever tells them they actually have to accomplish anything or have certain baseline abilities. Well, and these types like these two are of course very low IQ and so they can't really think capably about what they can expect from life --- they aren't able to realize that being a pilot or a lawyer is way out of their reach.

I thought the article made interesting points. He interviewed a lot of blacks at McDonalds and they all wanted to be CEO of the company, but they couldn't even hold down a counter job; they'd quit after a few weeks.

Probably it would be better if schools gave blacks more realistic expectations and trained them up for simpler jobs by emphasizing basic discipline and basic skills. But that would be non-PC -- they are supposed to pretend all these poor stupid kids can be lawyers and pilots or whatever they see on TV.

If you think blacks are unrealistic, try mexicans. They all want to be doctors. They skip school, won't take all those hard science classes, smoke dope, but they all answer that they want to be doctors.

It sounds good. That's why they say it. It is supposed to get a positive reaction. Someone will say "Good for you".

Okay, I think I see what Avatar is doing here. It's a spiritual exercise s/he does. She does not recognize that there ARE any natural limits to human accomplishment: that is, there is no such thing as a person having an IQ of 65 and thus being limited from being a rocket scientist.

More interestingly (as that first is implausible and we know there is such a thing as basic high or low IQ) Avatar is refusing to accept how a person presents himself/herself right now has having any predictive value. A person who can't read, talks ebonics so whites can't understand him, wears pants hanging down around his penis, may nevertheless become a Supreme Court Justice. Well, come to think of Clarence Thomas and his refusal to ever speak in public, probably because he is too stupid, that may well happen.

You think, Avatar, that a person can change infinitely and that the past does NOT predict the future so any judgement we make about someone now, for instance that this girl who is misshapen, illiterate, and can't talk can become a dancer for the New York Ballet and later a U.S. Senator.

No limits! No matter how badly you start out.

Well, it's not practical -- I think the present and past DO predict the future at least better than anything else does, which I agree isn't saying much, but your exercise is at least an interesting one, though I would hope you wouldn't use it to walk on the South Side of Chicago, frankly. Or to choose employees or a mate. It's impractical.

But interesting; thank you for that complex perspective.

It's interesting that you judge this person as illiterate because she can't read cursive, doesn't talk like you and is probably a different color.

You'd have fit right into a Germany..circa 1933.

If you think blacks are unrealistic, try mexicans. They all want to be doctors. They skip school, won't take all those hard science classes, smoke dope, but they all answer that they want to be doctors.

It sounds good. That's why they say it. It is supposed to get a positive reaction. Someone will say "Good for you".

!! Very interesting. Idea: let's all stop saying "Good for you."

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh, this nutso "positive self-esteem" crap has done so much damage to the hope of teaching the work ethic to blacks!! Talk about unintended consequences.

You guys are a fun bunch.

Just don't show up to my lawn with sheets and a burning cross please.

They tried that with my uncle. And he sent them to the hospital..

Agreed. Here in Europe it is common to test and vet children entering hs and send them to "practical" schools or university prep schools. works much better for everyone.

It's interesting that you judge this person as illiterate because she can't read cursive, doesn't talk like you and is probably a different color.

You'd have fit right into a Germany..circa 1933.

Uh-huh. Illiterate and can't talk normally are considered disadvantages in normal society. That wasn't a problem with Jews in 1933 Germany, but I suppose you haven't read anything about that, you are just throwing Hitler around like a rock you picked up off the ground.

If you don't think being illiterate and talking ebonics is a disadvantage in America, I suppose that means you are black. Noted.

Jeantel didn't seem illiterate to me. She can't read cursive, but they have stopped teaching cursive in schools so I can understand that. (My DD can read cursive because we homeschooled her).

That said, If Jeantel becomes a lawyer, more power to her. If she makes it, I'm going to law school!

Forum List

Back