Illiterate Rachel Jeantel says she wants to be a lawyer!!!

They can give her free grades all they like but her ability to perform as a lawyer will be much less than qualified and as such she won't find work. She'll end up flipping burgers somewhere.

Though with the apparent lack of jobs in the U.S. right now flipping burgers may actually become a respectable job again...

You know this, how, exactly?

I don't know many illiterate lawyers.

Do you?

I don't know any illiterates that can read and write.

Do you?

A white person with her skill set would have no chance but she's black and thanks to affirmative action can get into plenty of colleges where affirmative action grading will ensure she passes every course just by showing up. Likewise with the bar exam.

Into The Fire: Rachel Jeantel Tells Radio Host Ricky Smiley She Wants To Be A Lawyer | Mediaite

July 23rd, 2013 VIDEO» comments

One of the more reluctant media figures to emerge from the George Zimmerman trial was 19 year-old Rachel Jeantel, the last person to speak to unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin, aside from the man who killed him. Her contentious exchanges with defense attorney Don West sparked conversations about cultural differences, and the way many in the media reacted to them. Jeantel’s unpleasant experience in the courtroom hasn’t scarred her too deeply, however, as she told radio host Ricky Smiley, last week, that she aspires to become an attorney.

ES: So Rachel, in that, what, what, because, in one of the interviews last night I saw that, uh, they were talking about, of course, the past year and a half of your life has been a whirlwind. You have not yet completed high school but you want to do that so that you can go to college, correct?
RJ: Yes, I am.
ES: And what do you want to major in?
RJ: Law enforcement. Or I’ve been thinking about an attorney, becoming an attorney. You never know.

I have been expecting this for a while now.

Illiterate Rachel Jeantel says she wants to be a lair!!!

^ Fix

She already is.

Some of you are so pessimistic.

People can better themselves. No matter how much you put them down, they can be better.

If she wants to be an attorney, she can work hard to become one.

It is not merely smarts which makes one an attorney... it takes something in addition. When I went to law school, admissions to law school were extremely tight. Only the brightest from college were admitted to even 2nd tier law schools. Even then a full 1/3rd would not survive the 1st year and another third would be lost before graduating from law school. They flunked out not because they were dumb, they flunked out because they could not learn how to think like a lawyer.

When I started law school the prof in one of my classes said: 'Look to your left. Now look to your right. When this class is over one of them will not be here.' He was wrong. HALF the class dropped after the first test.

It is interesting that the thought process to be a nurse is the same as the thought process to be a lawyer. I was told in law school: 'You analytical types usually do pretty well.' I don't recall any of the nurses I was in law school with flunking. I can tell you, that I worked MUCH harder in nursing school than I did in law school. I really think that is because for me that little 'learning to think' thing had to happen before I could be a nurse. Decision making is not an easy thing. It requires critical thinking skills, which also work well in law.

When I was teaching we lost a lot of students after they had been in school for 3 semesters of nursing. The first two semesters they were taught, 'you always do this, and you never do that.' Third semester, they had to make decisions. It was hard to get this across to an administration who thought nursing is nothing more than emptying bedpans and making beds.

Then there is that little matter of the L-SAT. My foray into a legal education was to combat empty nest syndrome. A lot of people take courses and prepare for the L-SAT. I just signed up, paid, and went and took it. I didn't think it was all that bad. It had a lot of questions pertaining to spatial reasoning on it, and I really didn't understand that until I got into law school and there were diagrams of Black Acre, White Acre, and every other Acre you could think of. I took the L-SAT at Vanderbilt because that was the only place it was given in Nashville. After it was over, all the books collected, and we were dismissed, I heard from the back, 'Well, back to the farm!' LOL.

I wish I could be alive when she takes the L-SAT, but I know I won't. She won't make it out of undergrad in this millennium.

Last edited:
Some of you are so pessimistic.

People can better themselves. No matter how much you put them down, they can be better.

If she wants to be an attorney, she can work hard to become one.

It is not merely smarts which makes one an attorney... it takes something in addition. When I went to law school, admissions to law school were extremely tight. Only the brightest from college were admitted to even 2nd tier law schools. Even then a full 1/3rd would not survive the 1st year and another third would be lost before graduating from law school. They flunked out not because they were dumb, they flunked out because they could not learn how to think like a lawyer.

There's more to law then just Lawyers.

My Uncle was a paralegal when he got out of the Marines.

First, she didn't say she wanted to be a paralegal.
Second, I would really be uncomfortable knowing she was my paralegal.

Let's be realistic. She could not be a lawyer, paralegal or receptionist. If she could read, she could sort mail in a larger firm and that is as close as she is going to get to a lawyer.

If she is good with children, she could be a Child Care helper, Nurses Aide, work in a cleaners, even working in McDonalds would be hard because of her size.

She would not make a good nursing assistant. She is too hostile and too fat.

Rachel Jeantel could not be a paralegal or a lawyer. She cannot read or write. If she can read a little bit, she cannot read at the level necessary for the study of law.

The average IQ's of lawyers is said to be 120.

Engineer vs engineer: Who has the higher IQ?

Rachel's IQ is around 75-85, or dull to mentally impared, based on her converstations and lifetime achievements.

Better career choices for her would be garbage collecting, housekeeping or as a food service cook.

You know this, how exactly?

Rachel is a dullard. When you match up what a dull person's IQ is with what the table says on my link you can find that estimate. I also gave her extra points for lying in court and being able to text. Anyway, no bright person would be dating a violent punk like TM.

I can't change another person's personality. But they can change their own personality. And God can change it.

God can change it if the person is willing to change. The one thing I can say on her behalf is the notion of her having any kind of job probably did not seriously come to mind until the past 10 days when she began talking to people and getting offers of school. Perhaps she will take advantage of the tutors and then go to some school that would be more appropriate for her needs and realistic future career.

Everyone reaches a point where they can change if they want. The question is will she?

So the Down's Syndrome child with an IQ of 50 can 'change if they want' and be a lawyer. Groovy.

Really? Because I know some people who graduated law school who could barely write. It flabbergasted me when I realized that.

I've met some lawyers who aren't really that great intellectually at all.

it doesn't take intelligence. It takes doing the work.

Doing the work is insufficient. It requires a manner of thinking.. a mindset.

To be a musician one need not know grammar very well and can flunk history. Mozart did not become a great muscian because he worked hard although if you have the mindset, working hard helps.

An artist may not excel in certain topics and even be deemed of low intelligence, but they can create... not because they work hard, although if you have the mindset, working hard helps.

Same with an attorney but perhaps not as pronounced... and it is possible that you can learn to "think like an attorney".. Intelligence helps as does hard work, but if you can not think like a lawyer you can never be a good lawyer. Some very bright people could not become lawyers and it was not because they did not work hard... been there, seen that.

I disagree. One can learn to be an attorney. Doesn't mean you'd be a good attorney. But you can become an attorney.

You clearly have no idea what the attrition rate in law schools is.

Okay, I think I see what Avatar is doing here. It's a spiritual exercise s/he does. She does not recognize that there ARE any natural limits to human accomplishment: that is, there is no such thing as a person having an IQ of 65 and thus being limited from being a rocket scientist.

More interestingly (as that first is implausible and we know there is such a thing as basic high or low IQ) Avatar is refusing to accept how a person presents himself/herself right now has having any predictive value. A person who can't read, talks ebonics so whites can't understand him, wears pants hanging down around his penis, may nevertheless become a Supreme Court Justice. Well, come to think of Clarence Thomas and his refusal to ever speak in public, probably because he is too stupid, that may well happen.

You think, Avatar, that a person can change infinitely and that the past does NOT predict the future so any judgement we make about someone now, for instance that this girl who is misshapen, illiterate, and can't talk can become a dancer for the New York Ballet and later a U.S. Senator.

No limits! No matter how badly you start out.

Well, it's not practical -- I think the present and past DO predict the future at least better than anything else does, which I agree isn't saying much, but your exercise is at least an interesting one, though I would hope you wouldn't use it to walk on the South Side of Chicago, frankly. Or to choose employees or a mate. It's impractical.

But interesting; thank you for that complex perspective.

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. That is one measure of which patient will be most likely to assault the caregiver.

So Trayvon wanted to be a pilot, and DeeDee wants to be a lawyer.

What will we find out next, that the Arizona fruit drink wanted to be Cabernet Sauvignon?

I was reading a thoughtful article some time ago that said this kind of completely unrealistic expectation is common among blacks. They are taught all that "self-esteem" stuff in school so they think they can do anything they want without any qualifications whatsoever. No one ever tells them they actually have to accomplish anything or have certain baseline abilities. Well, and these types like these two are of course very low IQ and so they can't really think capably about what they can expect from life --- they aren't able to realize that being a pilot or a lawyer is way out of their reach.

I thought the article made interesting points. He interviewed a lot of blacks at McDonalds and they all wanted to be CEO of the company, but they couldn't even hold down a counter job; they'd quit after a few weeks.

Probably it would be better if schools gave blacks more realistic expectations and trained them up for simpler jobs by emphasizing basic discipline and basic skills. But that would be non-PC -- they are supposed to pretend all these poor stupid kids can be lawyers and pilots or whatever they see on TV.

Nursing students these days all want to be DONs or NPs. They always shoot for the top. But market factors play a big role in how far they actually go. I worked as an NP for 17 or my 25 years as a nurse. But I know a lot who graduated from the same program I did who are selling real estate about now.

do you know what "illiterate" means?

Seriously..do you know the meaning of the word?

can't read or write.

You are claiming this girl "just" can't read cursive, but the news said she was illiterate, so i don't believe you.

She was obviously very low iq. She couldn't talk plain, either: Didn't have standard english. How could she read or write if she couldn't even talk the language? I expect the news reporters knew what they were talking about.

what news?

She reads and writes in three languages. She's able to type and read text messages.

Wanna link that "news".

And what makes it "obvious" her iq is low. The fact she doesn't want to sit in a trial? She said herself she didn't want to be there. Who can blame her? The justice system treats her like a second rate person.

As do you.

u kin red txt ms 2? u r smrt.

I was reading a thoughtful article some time ago that said this kind of completely unrealistic expectation is common among blacks. They are taught all that "self-esteem" stuff in school so they think they can do anything they want without any qualifications whatsoever. No one ever tells them they actually have to accomplish anything or have certain baseline abilities. Well, and these types like these two are of course very low IQ and so they can't really think capably about what they can expect from life --- they aren't able to realize that being a pilot or a lawyer is way out of their reach.

Same thing with women. Schools and TV tell girls they are equal to men. Then they get married and find out the hub is 5 times stronger than them and can force them to do what he wants.

Wife abuse was quite common here in the 60s. The day my husband and I married, I told him if he ever hit me he had better finish the job on the first blow, because when I picked myself up I would kill him in his sleep. Guess what! He never hit me. I guess he just wasn't willing to test the theory. You don't have to be 5 times stronger to slice someone's carotid artery in two while they are asleep.

Okay, I think I see what Avatar is doing here. It's a spiritual exercise s/he does. She does not recognize that there ARE any natural limits to human accomplishment: that is, there is no such thing as a person having an IQ of 65 and thus being limited from being a rocket scientist.

More interestingly (as that first is implausible and we know there is such a thing as basic high or low IQ) Avatar is refusing to accept how a person presents himself/herself right now has having any predictive value. A person who can't read, talks ebonics so whites can't understand him, wears pants hanging down around his penis, may nevertheless become a Supreme Court Justice. Well, come to think of Clarence Thomas and his refusal to ever speak in public, probably because he is too stupid, that may well happen.

You think, Avatar, that a person can change infinitely and that the past does NOT predict the future so any judgement we make about someone now, for instance that this girl who is misshapen, illiterate, and can't talk can become a dancer for the New York Ballet and later a U.S. Senator.

No limits! No matter how badly you start out.

Well, it's not practical -- I think the present and past DO predict the future at least better than anything else does, which I agree isn't saying much, but your exercise is at least an interesting one, though I would hope you wouldn't use it to walk on the South Side of Chicago, frankly. Or to choose employees or a mate. It's impractical.

But interesting; thank you for that complex perspective.

You couldnt be more wrong. a person can change, no matter how badly you start out.

Rachel Jeantel could not be a paralegal or a lawyer. She cannot read or write. If she can read a little bit, she cannot read at the level necessary for the study of law.

Watching her testify was like watching the movie Idiocracy! If she can become something, go 4 it. But her attitude has already hurt her.

Last edited:
We all have limitations. Hers were evident in her appearance, speech and demeanor. She needs to take any job she can find, or make babies and get welfare checks. That's about it.

Just because she has allowed herself to become that way, doesn't mean those are her limitations.

Limitations are meant to be overcome. That's the beauty of being human.

I don't know many illiterate lawyers.

Do you?

I don't know any illiterates that can read and write.

Do you?

No because illiterates can't read and write genius. :cuckoo:

I doubt Swallow knows any illiterates. Working as a nurse in KY and TN I know a fair number. They can't read and write, but they sure as hell CAN count money, and most of them are decently well off.

Forum List

Back