I'm a libertarian and don't believe conservatives should force their beliefs on other people

Ironically, Conservatives made a deal with the devil when they courted the Religious Right in the 80's and now the only way they can win is to pander to the evangelicals by attempting to legislate their brand of morality. I would love to have the option of voting for a party that held to true conservative ideals, but they won't get my vote as long as they're ruled by evangelicals.

I heard about a teenage girl that was raped in study hall in a public school in Ohio. Once the teacher was confronted with the crime, her response was priceless. She said that it was not her place to teach the kids morality.

That pretty much solidified things for me. When you put children in public schools and are unable to teach them morality, you are still teaching them morality. You are teaching them that the state is amoral and that there is no real right and wrong.

Looking at teenage pregnancies, drug use, and other vices within public schools, it would appear that the secular humanist experiment with the nations youth is an abject failure.

Teaching kids morality is far more important than teaching them such things as to read and write. After all, if you are empowering children through education and they are immoral, you are simply empowering such immoral influences within a given society.

Moreover, if society become so immoral that it is comparable to the inside of a prison, then the state has no choice but to treat such a society as one big prison while taking away their freedoms in the process.

As Ben Franklin aptly noted, the Constitution will endure for a time until the moral fiber of the nation deteriorates and are incapable of such freedoms in a responsible manner. The only two ways to keep a civil society is for those within society to have internal checks and balances or have the state impose it upon you. It's really that simple.
Teaching children morality is not in the realm of schools - it is in the realm of parents.

Do you really trust the GOVERNMENT to teach your kids morality? Really?

Ironically, Conservatives made a deal with the devil when they courted the Religious Right in the 80's and now the only way they can win is to pander to the evangelicals by attempting to legislate their brand of morality. I would love to have the option of voting for a party that held to true conservative ideals, but they won't get my vote as long as they're ruled by evangelicals.

I heard about a teenage girl that was raped in study hall in a public school in Ohio. Once the teacher was confronted with the crime, her response was priceless. She said that it was not her place to teach the kids morality.

That pretty much solidified things for me. When you put children in public schools and are unable to teach them morality, you are still teaching them morality. You are teaching them that the state is amoral and that there is no real right and wrong.

Looking at teenage pregnancies, drug use, and other vices within public schools, it would appear that the secular humanist experiment with the nations youth is an abject failure.

Teaching kids morality is far more important than teaching them such things as to read and write. After all, if you are empowering children through education and they are immoral, you are simply empowering such immoral influences within a given society.

Moreover, if society become so immoral that it is comparable to the inside of a prison, then the state has no choice but to treat such a society as one big prison while taking away their freedoms in the process.

As Ben Franklin aptly noted, the Constitution will endure for a time until the moral fiber of the nation deteriorates and are incapable of such freedoms in a responsible manner. The only two ways to keep a civil society is for those within society to have internal checks and balances or have the state impose it upon you. It's really that simple.
Teaching children morality is not in the realm of schools - it is in the realm of parents.

I don't want the government teaching my children anything at all. The stupidest thing a free country can ever do is turn their kids over to the government to brainwash.

For example corporal punishment.

I believe these red state public schools should either allow accommodations for parents who disapprove of corporal punishment or provide schools to those parents that are just as well funded but do not allow corporal punishment.

I am big on individual liberty.

Most states do and corporal punishment is rarely done anymore.

True but does morality cease to exist the minute you walk onto a school? A teacher can't say stealing is wrong or listen to your parents.

Funny, another attack on Republicans, Democrats are as much Christians as Republicans and initiated corporal punishment in schools.

Teaching children is not the realm of government, it is the realm of parents.

I believe these red state public schools should either allow accommodations for parents who disapprove of corporal punishment or provide schools to those parents that are just as well funded but do not allow corporal punishment.

Do you mean like the conservatives who blocked several major highways in an attempt to prevent other citizens from enjoying their first amendment rights?

Do you mean like the conservatives who asked that students be enjoined from marking a wall with the presidential candidate of their choice's name in chalk?

Do you mean like the conservatives who have for 7 years insisted on anyone who doesn't agree with what the President wants to do, whether legal or not, is a racist?

LOL moron

Yeah, it's been a terrible mess since the Republican Party got hijacked by the religious nutters. These people are deranged totalitarian brutes. Hopefully their power & influence is waning though. The Party needs to distance itself from these loons.

I don't want the government teaching my children anything at all. The stupidest thing a free country can ever do is turn their kids over to the government to brainwash.

Correct.

Read the posts written by skylar, Comrade Starkiev and other berners to see prima facie evidence of the harmful effects of government schooling .

But you are dealing with people that have the fanatical belief that the government is best at running pretty much everything, education, health care, etc., etc.

I wish Republicans would stop being control freaks!

We are forced to pay for your liberal public schools and we are the control freaks?

The Bolshevik who penned the OP has retreated and hidden.

Most of the left are gutless cowards, give them a smack in the mouth and they run home crying to their momma's.

They have mothers?

I thought they were government drones.

Really? Seriously? Did the child have any say so in being paddled?

Mom agreed to the corporal punishment!

Why don't you post the whole story?

Forum List

Back