I'm Not Sure How to Feel About the Police Here

As I was being driven to and from my various activities, I happened to notice that police were lining both sides of the road in parking lots and such. This road was busier than usual because of the people being evacuated from the areas in danger of being hit by the hurricane. Is it possible they were trying to nail the hurricane evacuees with speeding tickets?

People get kind of crazy with stress, read a report yesterday of a guy going around road block (26 in south carolina all lanes were switched inland) he got out and started shooting at cops.
He had problems before the stress began but the stress brought it to the surface. I've seen people who under normal conditions act fine but let them come under pressure and they quickly fall apart.
There's no amount of stress that would get me to act like that.

First, it is clear that you don't believe in God, do not know His power nor do you understand the Covenant relationship between Jesus Christ and His people. Second, prayer is the greatest weapon on earth but as you do not believe in the power of God or the power of prayer, you do not know this. People on USMB have already seen the power of prayer and those people would not agree with you - in other words - you're too late on that one.

Third, I see you are new to USMB, so let me explain: I write about the LORD wherever I go (including threads) and feel led to share something I believe will be of encouragement to others and your presence at USMB will never change that. Keep reading because I usually include Scripture and by reading the Word of God, you'll be learning about what God is capable of (anything). So welcome to the board and be sure to come over to the religion thread and read my threads - there are sermons by various ministers who are truly anointed!

Ma'am I knew your response before you even sat down at your keyboard.
As a former Christian, I know your arguments, I know your tricks, and I know the capacity of your piety, because these are all things I did myself.
I don't need any more verses from Scripture; thank you, though.

There's actually nothing in my post that implied I didn't believe in God, I just believe prayer in times of crisis limits your actions.

I'm not actually new, though this account is, but even if I was that's irrelevant.
I don't post in attempts to convert anyone's faith, I just thought your advice was terrible and counter-productive.

I hope you have a wonderful day.

If you had to create an extra screen name in order to post on this board you must have credibility issues already. I'm not surprised.

Addressing the OP - Another idea would be to share your concern with one of the officers you see and ask him or her about it. I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

If you had to create an extra screen name in order to post on this board you must have credibility issues already. I'm not surprised.

Addressing the OP - Another idea would be to share your concern with one of the officers you see and ask him or her about it. I'm sure they wouldn't mind.
That's not the reason he made a new account, but that shouldn't really matter to you.

Maybe, but I don't really get that many opportunities, otherwise I'd have already asked.

As I was being driven to and from my various activities, I happened to notice that police were lining both sides of the road in parking lots and such. This road was busier than usual because of the people being evacuated from the areas in danger of being hit by the hurricane. Is it possible they were trying to nail the hurricane evacuees with speeding tickets?

You're in Florida?

I doubt they're out to hit speeding tickets. That would require stealth, not numbers. If there's evacuations going on, they'd be there to manage that.

Of course leave it to the lower life forms of USMB to come up with all kinds of eeeebil conspiracy theories about scary black people :lol: Pathetic.

Hope you and yours are safe.
Not in Florida, but people are being evacuated in this state, too, away from areas near where the Hurricane is projected to hit.

Georgia or one of the Carolinas then. I'm in WNC and we've had steady rain since last night. No particular wind but we're a long way from the ocean. That will typically bring a lot of police presence to keep the evacuation flowing and address any delays.

Have you ever been through a hurricane? I'm a Katrinite myself. When we evacuated we had "contraflow" on the interstate, meaning all lanes were going out, none coming in. There were police all along the way to manage traffic.
I remember your talking about being in Katrina. If I recall correctly the looting in Katrina was long after the police presence left and the storm was over for some time. It wasn't the day after the storm or even the day after that. It happened awhile afterward. Some of the photographs of the aftermath of Katrina looked as if the entire population packed up and left the state. Boarded up houses, street after street - it looked totally abandoned.

Not "totally" -- that (and the looting) is what the media portrayed, because it sells. Media impressions and standing in the reality are always two different worlds if any kind of emotional hook can be exploited.

The flooding wasn't caused directly by, and did not occur during, the hurricane. It was caused by inadequate levees bursting (seven of them IIRC) afterr the storm itself had passed. I had evacuated to my parents' house in Mississippi and had the foresight to take a battery-operated radio with me, with which I stayed up all night Monday (24 hours after the storm) listening to the flooding start to happen live, reported by callers to WWL, which stayed on the air throughout.

Whether your area got flooded or not depended on how near you were to one of those levee breaks. Everybody got flooded somewhat, but not everywhere got submerged. The French Quarter, which is higher ground, stayed open for business throughout. When we were finally allowed back in in October (11 years ago this week), I found that my own neighborhood had taken only two feet of water and nobody's property was particularly damaged at all. Some of my neighbors were still there and had been throughout. My girlfriend's neighborhood on the other hand took eight feet. Her downstairs neighbors had decided to stay and ride it out. They woke up Monday night to find themselves floating in their own bed. They escaped by breaking into the apartment upstairs where they stayed until they were rescued by helicopter days later.

New Orleans gets hurricane warnings virtually every year and there's always some contingent of residents who stay to ride it out. Katrina was the first one I actually evacuated for in the 12 years I lived there. But flooding is not anything unusual -- I've seen three feet of water in the streets after a simple thunderstorm. That's one reason New Orleanians are not that impressed with hurricane warnings and may choose to stay -- they've been through it before.

So there were always pockets that were relatively unaffected by the flooding, but the everyday infrastructure of things like electricity and gas and running water and traffic lights, and a store to buy food or a restaurant, simply did not exist, which is why nobody was allowed back in for six weeks. Even then we had to work by daylight and then run back to the suburbs where the only restaurants were, and even then only a handful. Access for firefighters and sanitation did not exist either, and there were three restaurants in the vicinity of my house which all used the same dumpster, and that hadn't been emptied for six weeks in New Orleans summer heat, You can imagine -- maybe -- what that smelled like. And anywhere that caught fire simply burned down, not to the ground but to the water level.

flood line.jpg

You're in Florida?

I doubt they're out to hit speeding tickets. That would require stealth, not numbers. If there's evacuations going on, they'd be there to manage that.

Of course leave it to the lower life forms of USMB to come up with all kinds of eeeebil conspiracy theories about scary black people :lol: Pathetic.

Hope you and yours are safe.
Not in Florida, but people are being evacuated in this state, too, away from areas near where the Hurricane is projected to hit.

Georgia or one of the Carolinas then. I'm in WNC and we've had steady rain since last night. No particular wind but we're a long way from the ocean. That will typically bring a lot of police presence to keep the evacuation flowing and address any delays.

Have you ever been through a hurricane? I'm a Katrinite myself. When we evacuated we had "contraflow" on the interstate, meaning all lanes were going out, none coming in. There were police all along the way to manage traffic.
I remember your talking about being in Katrina. If I recall correctly the looting in Katrina was long after the police presence left and the storm was over for some time. It wasn't the day after the storm or even the day after that. It happened awhile afterward. Some of the photographs of the aftermath of Katrina looked as if the entire population packed up and left the state. Boarded up houses, street after street - it looked totally abandoned.

Not "totally" -- that (and the looting) is what the media portrayed, because it sells. Media impressions and standing in the reality are always two different worlds if any kind of emotional hook can be exploited.

The flooding wasn't caused directly by, and did not occur during, the hurricane. It was caused by inadequate levees bursting (seven of them IIRC) afterr the storm itself had passed. I had evacuated to my parents' house in Mississippi and had the foresight to take a battery-operated radio with me, with which I stayed up all night Monday (24 hours after the storm) listening to the flooding start to happen live, reported by callers to WWL, which stayed on the air throughout.

Whether your area got flooded or not depended on how near you were to one of those levee breaks. Everybody got flooded somewhat, but not everywhere got submerged. The French Quarter, which is higher ground, stayed open for business throughout. When we were finally allowed back in in October (11 years ago this week), I found that my own neighborhood had taken only two feet of water and nobody's property was particularly damaged at all. Some of my neighbors were still there and had been throughout. My girlfriend's neighborhood on the other hand took eight feet. Her downstairs neighbors had decided to stay and ride it out. They woke up Monday night to find themselves floating in their own bed. They escaped by breaking into the apartment upstairs where they stayed until they were rescued by helicopter days later.

New Orleans gets hurricane warnings virtually every year and there's always some contingent of residents who stay to ride it out. Katrina was the first one I actually evacuated for in the 12 years I lived there. But flooding is not anything unusual -- I've seen three feet of water in the streets after a simple thunderstorm. That's one reason New Orleanians are not that impressed with hurricane warnings and may choose to stay -- they've been through it before.

So there were always pockets that were relatively unaffected by the flooding, but the everyday infrastructure of things like electricity and gas and running water and traffic lights, and a store to buy food or a restaurant, simply did not exist, which is why nobody was allowed back in for six weeks. Even then we had to work by daylight and then run back to the suburbs where the only restaurants were, and even then only a handful. Access for firefighters and sanitation did not exist either, and there were three restaurants in the vicinity of my house which all used the same dumpster, and that hadn't been emptied for six weeks in New Orleans summer heat, You can imagine -- maybe -- what that smelled like. And anywhere that caught fire simply burned down, not to the ground but to the water level.

Let me ask you something. Wasn't there money allocated for those levees and what happened to it? Why weren't those levees rebuilt before Katrina?

BLM has made a statement that it wants ALL BLM members to go out and loot.... They are there to SERVE and PROTECT, Brave men for staying when all other flee!
Well, ain't that just great! The city is spending a few million to have cops work over-time to keep the shop inventory safe but be damned with the people who will suffer from a natural disaster! "Help me! Help me! The hurricane is coming and my car won't start!" Too bad lady ..... there are no cops to spare. They are guarding the K-Mart and 7 Eleven just in case you get it in your mind to loot the place! What 'BRAVE MEN' the police!

To me, its possible, but because so many extra drivers are out there at all and why, I understand why the cops were there. Someone has to be there to make sure that the drivers are driving safely. Safety is the reason why them people have had to leave their homes in the first place. It would be rather sad if something bad happened to them on their way to getting away from the original danger being the hurricane of course.

God bless you and them and the cops always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back