I'm thinking of going over to the Episcopalians...

Somehow I don’t believe Jesus would mind. It isn't sneaking. He knows everything.
Maybe Jesus wouldn't mind but I would. Also, since my father attends Mass with me, there is no way I would be able to take the Eucharist without him knowing about it.
Tell him that according to Catholic teaching in the Catechism that sin is anything which separates us from God and that wanting to partake in the union of the living God is the opposite of being separated from God.
Jesus' teaching on divorce and remarriage is that it is the equivalent of committing adultery, and forcing your ex-wife to find another husband so she can commit adultery.

I understand the teaching, and I'm not going to take the Eucharist at a Catholic Mass when the Catholic Church thinks I'm in a state of mortal sin.

I understand that joining the Episcopalians may be a fantasy escape, but there it is.
Did Jesus say you shouldn’t eat his flesh and drink his blood because of it?
Yes, St. Paul said that you can't take the Eucharist when you're not worthy of it.
He’s not Jesus. And he doesn’t speak for Jesus.

I would never consider going over to the evangelicals and learning that all the time I was a Catholic I was an idolator and that all Catholics are going to hell.
Tell them that everyone is a sinner.
Yes, everyone is a sinner but a divorced and remarried man is in a state of mortal sin and refusing to repent the sin by breaking off his second marriage.
Was the divorce mutual?
Yes, but it was her who made it impossible to be married.

I understand that going to the Episcopalians is a cop out from a difficult teaching, but I don't want to be alone for the rest of my life and I still want to go to Mass and take the Eucharist.
You don’t need to rationalize leaving the church.

Maybe Jesus wouldn't mind but I would. Also, since my father attends Mass with me, there is no way I would be able to take the Eucharist without him knowing about it.
Tell him that according to Catholic teaching in the Catechism that sin is anything which separates us from God and that wanting to partake in the union of the living God is the opposite of being separated from God.
Jesus' teaching on divorce and remarriage is that it is the equivalent of committing adultery, and forcing your ex-wife to find another husband so she can commit adultery.

I understand the teaching, and I'm not going to take the Eucharist at a Catholic Mass when the Catholic Church thinks I'm in a state of mortal sin.

I understand that joining the Episcopalians may be a fantasy escape, but there it is.
Yes, St. Paul said that you can't take the Eucharist when you're not worthy of it.
St. Paul is an Apostle and speaks for Jesus, especially when his teachings have been incorporated into the New Testament.

I would never consider going over to the evangelicals and learning that all the time I was a Catholic I was an idolator and that all Catholics are going to hell.
Yes, everyone is a sinner but a divorced and remarried man is in a state of mortal sin and refusing to repent the sin by breaking off his second marriage.
Was the divorce mutual?
If it was mutual then you didn’t break the vow.

But she didn’t make it impossible to be married.

I understand that going to the Episcopalians is a cop out from a difficult teaching, but I don't want to be alone for the rest of my life and I still want to go to Mass and take the Eucharist.
I am a rational man and I need to have rational reasons for all my decisions.

However, after this discussion I realize that a decision to convert to Episcopalians would be one of the least rational decisions I've ever made.

St. Paul is an Apostle and speaks for Jesus, especially when his teachings have been incorporated into the New Testament.
Not if he says you can’t take communion, he doesn’t.

Was the divorce mutual?
If it was mutual then you didn’t break the vow.

But she didn’t make it impossible to be married.
Actually, she did, but I'm not going to discuss the private details of my marriage on the internet.

You can't pick and choose what part of the Bible you believe in just like you can't pick and choose what parts of Catholic teaching you believe in.

I must make a clean break.

However, after this discussion I realize that a decision to convert to Episcopalians would be one of the least rational decisions I've ever made.
Why is that?

You can't pick and choose what part of the Bible you believe in just like you can't pick and choose what parts of Catholic teaching you believe in.

I’m not. I am telling you it’s not in the Bible.

Why is that?
My decision is not motivated by rationality but by my desires.

I don't want to go to Mass and be barred from attending the Eucharist.

On the other hand, I want to be free to remarry.

I can't have what I want if I remain a Catholic.

But I know that the Catholic teaching is based on a direct quote from Jesus Christ who allowed only adultery as grounds for divorce.

So, even if I go over to the Episcopalians, I won't get away from my conscience.

The one consolation, I guess, is knowing that the Episcopalian Eucharist is only symbolic, so I won't be breaking St. Paul's teaching if I accept it.

But, if the Episcopalian Eucharist is only symbolic, there is no spiritual reason to take it.

I'm in a quandary.

The one consolation, I guess, is knowing that the Episcopalian Eucharist is only symbolic, so I won't be breaking St. Paul's teaching if I accept it.
You wouldn’t be. They are wrong to deny the Eucharist to anyone who seeks to devour God.

Telling me St. Paul's teaching isn't in the Bible isn't going to work. I know it is.

Telling me St. Paul's teaching isn't in the Bible isn't going to work. I know it is.
It doesn’t apply to this situation.

You wouldn’t be. They are wrong to deny the Eucharist to anyone who seeks to devour God.
The Catholic Church denies the Eucharist to anyone who isn't a Catholic in a state of grace. Most people can't receive it.

Forum List

Back