In 1791, that was the Brown Bess, et al....

M14 Shooter

The Light of Truth
Sep 26, 2007
Bridge, USS Enterprise
Said in another topic:

Our founding fathers were discussing a completely different set of "arms" at the time the 2nd was written...

Yes... but no.
The "arms" they referred to in the 2nd amendment were those useful for service in the militia, and protected the rights of the people to own and use those weapon so, among other things, they would have those weapons, should the militia need to be called into service.

In 1791, that was the Brown Bess, et al.
What do you suppose this equates to in 2022?

Society, civilization was as different from now as the modern firearms are from those of that epoch. It is extremely unfortunate that this entire subject has become impossible to discuss. America has fallen into such profoundly binary discord, and this matter most of all, that 'compromise' and 'reason' are part of a very large number of words that have to be excluded from any vocabulary of interchange. Even this post will likely be consigned to one camp or the other.
Thus, any thread such as this can only be a form of trolling.
Personally, I have owned, used and carried firearms, have no problem with them, and actually rather like them. There is no doubt that how things are being handled now cannot continue much longer. The resolution has little chance of being agreeable.

The French dumped massive amounts of .mil musket parts into the "colonies" on the sly and American gunsmiths built them into combat arms that were widely used in our Revolution.

You can find them stocked in North American hardwoods like cherry and hickory but have all French military musket parts.

Now American builders would take some shortcuts like pinning the hardware on instead of using barrel band springs but they would basically build-out a functional French military musket......Sort of the same way I could build out a AR or AK if provided the parts.

Society, civilization was as different from now as the modern firearms are from those of that epoch. It is extremely unfortunate that this entire subject has become impossible to discuss. America has fallen into such profoundly binary discord, and this matter most of all, that 'compromise' and 'reason' are part of a very large number of words that have to be excluded from any vocabulary of interchange. Even this post will likely be consigned to one camp or the other.
Personally, I have owned, used and carried firearms, have no problem with them, and actually rather like them. There is no doubt that how things are being handled now cannot continue much longer. The resolution has little chance of being agreeable.

How does "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" mean anything different then than it does now? The only media they had during the time period the US Constitution was written, was hand-operated printing presses. Does that mean that radio, television, and the internet do not qualify as being protected by the First Amendment?

Modern culture is dominated by liberal values and its driving ordinary people out of their minds

there were not widespread mass shooting in America until relatively recently

in the old America circa 1950s that liberals hate boys often brought guns to school so that they could go hunting on the way home

but now children are murdering other children

if these sick puppies cant get a gun they will find another way

Well since there was no ATF back then a "happy switch" would be just fine. ;)

Technically, the BATFE is an unconstitutional governmental agency that violates what the framers of the Constitution intended, when they wrote the Second Amendment.

What do you suppose this equates to in 2022?

DavyCrockettBomb.jpg

Technically, the BATFE is an unconstitutional governmental agency that violates what the framers of the Constitution intended, when they wrote the Second Amendment.
Wags Wearing Wigs

Your Framer heroes created a Constitution that didn't include the right to bear arms. That was forced in by popular demand after the Constitutional Congress at Philadelphia.

Not "Illegal Aliens"; I Dare Them to Say "Immigration Criminals"

A counter-assault rifle. Notice how the phony Conservatives would never call it that. Nor would they say that sex, not just marriage, is only between a male and a female.

Actually, sex, not just marriage, is only between one male and one female. And this is my counter-assault rifle, this is my gun. One is for fighting, the other's for fun.

Forum List

Back