In Defense Of Aithests

Would The Bible Seem Illogical To You If You Weren't A Christian?

• Total voters

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
Christians, if you were never taught about Jesus and who He is and was and you grew up an atheist, would the Bible seem illogical for you to believe? Yes or no? I'm asking this question because it came up in another topic. Please answer honestly for me because I think my own answer would probably be yes. I actually still have doubts myself sometimes as a Christian due to this unfortunately.

Christians, if you were never taught about Jesus and who He is and was and you grew up an atheist, would the Bible seem illogical for you to believe? Yes or no? I'm asking this question because it came up in another topic. Please answer honestly for me because I think my own answer would probably be yes. I actually still have doubts myself sometimes as a Christian due to this unfortunately.
As an atheist myself, I can say that the various bibles aren't supposed to be taken as literally the word of the god or gods.

If you're a christian believer you should know that by now. That should take care of any confusion you may have on what atheists believe.

It sounds like you have allowed your bible to shake your faith, when that isn't necessary. Your bibles invite you to interpret them in any way you find to be acceptable to your needs.

I am Jewish. We do not view Christians and Muslims as sinners. We view observant Christians and Muslims as righteous Noahides.

Man instinctively knows that there is a God.

The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge. There is no speech, nor are there words, whose voice is not heard. Their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world (Psalm 19:1-4, ESV).
\
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

However... The atheist, the scoffer.... The meaning of God's word is hidden from him. intentionally.

Proverbs 4:19
The way of the wicked is like darkness;
They do not know over what they stumble.

1 Corinthians 2:14
But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

Isaiah 44:18
They do not know, nor do they understand, for He has smeared over their eyes so that they cannot see and their hearts so that they cannot comprehend.

Ezekiel 12:2
“Son of man, you live in the midst of the rebellious house, who have eyes to see but do not see, ears to hear but do not hear; for they are a rebellious house.

Last edited:
Even as a follower of Jesus Christ we do not understand many parts of the Bible until we are awakened to them to have that understanding.

It also goes back to the beginning; How long is Adam (=human) left asleep in the garden of Eden (its own pleasure= eden)? Until it is called forth from that carnal grave and we do not get to decide that day, week, year, etc...

Christians, if you were never taught about Jesus and who He is and was and you grew up an atheist, would the Bible seem illogical for you to believe?
I grew up in a family of both believers and those who did not. As I grew, the Old Testament confused and disturbed me. The question in my mind was, "Why didn't it disturb those of the Jewish faith?"

The Old Testament, viewed from the perspective of the original language, history, and cultures--and with the help of scholars and rabbinical commentary--started to make a great deal of sense and was no longer in the least disturbing.

I would hope if I grew up in a strictly atheist household and the New Testament confused me, I would take the same path of study as I did with the Old Testament.

People think they can read something and decide (with no understanding of language, history, and culture of those times) precisely what it is saying. Hubris from an educated society who are unaware that despite how much they do know, how much they still do not.

Man instinctively knows that there is a God.

The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge. There is no speech, nor are there words, whose voice is not heard. Their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world (Psalm 19:1-4, ESV).
\
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

However... The atheist, the scoffer.... The meaning of God's word is hidden from him. intentionally.

Proverbs 4:19
The way of the wicked is like darkness;
They do not know over what they stumble.

1 Corinthians 2:14
But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

Isaiah 44:18
They do not know, nor do they understand, for He has smeared over their eyes so that they cannot see and their hearts so that they cannot comprehend.

Ezekiel 12:2
“Son of man, you live in the midst of the rebellious house, who have eyes to see but do not see, ears to hear but do not hear; for they are a rebellious house.

That's a good point actually. I think it might be possible for us as children to perceive the fact that either something or somebody created it until we're taught to believe otherwise.

I grew up in a family of both believers and those who did not

That's a good point too. If you were already born into a family of unbelievers, how did you find Christ? That would be an interesting question to ask too.

I think Satan starts working early...thats why schools and teachers are such rich targets. Churchs, tv, cartoons, daycare,

When someone tells you God's word makes no sense...then you know exactly where they stand.

God gives his people spiritual discernment. You see then that his Word is unchanging. People never change. His word is as relevant today as it was in the day that he inspired his prophets to write it down.

That's a good point too. If you were already born into a family of unbelievers, how did you find Christ? That would be an interesting question to ask too.
The majority of the family were Catholic, but some non-Catholic as well. Never occurred to any of that Catholics, Protestants, and atheists were incapable of being a family despite differing beliefs. We had different talents and hobbies, so why not different religions?

Forum List

Back