In only 10% of counties in the US can a worker afford a 2 bedroom apartment working 40 hours a week

'A national problem': U.S. housing affordability is out of whack with minimum wage

Obviously this should bother republican voters, but they have this fantasy mindset that Trump will turn this country into some kind of utopia despite the fact that he had two years to do so with a republican Congress. Their only response when presented with this is the usual pathetic deflection of “well Obama didn’t do it! Derp, derp, derp!”

Now granted Obama achieved little in improving the lives of the middle class and poor besides a few policies. These policies include 1) helping to reverse the Great Recession he inherited from Bush 6 months into his presidency and producing job growth EVER SINCE. 2) Expanding OT pay eligibility for thousands of US workers 3) guaranteeing people receive healthcare from pre-existing conditions, 4) passing the biggest middle class tax cut since Reagan

He also TRIED to invest education and raise the minimum wage but was blocked by republicans.

The point I am making is that republicans do fucking NOTHING to help the poor and middle class but democrats at least make an attempt despite failing on a significant scale. This nuance matters whether you like it or not.

It is a damn good thing that less than 4% of all US workers earn minimum wage then!

Why do you speak of "middle class" when talking about minimum wage. The only way minimum wage affects the middle class is by how much their teenage kids get paid during their high school years.

Yeah if you had it your way with a $15 dollar minimum wage over 40% of workers would make minimum wage.

Thread title is a lie. He left out "minimum wage". You could as easily, and as truthfully, whine and beat your chest while saying "in 99% of the counties nobody can afford a house (while running a lemonade stand on the front drive).

FACTS... where are yours? NOT one source substantiating your dumb ass UNINFORMED comments!

Among those paid by the hour, 542,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 1.3 million had wages below the federal minimum.
Together, these 1.8 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 2.3 percent of all hourly paid workers.
Although workers under age 25 represented only about one-fifth of hourly paid workers, they made up about half of those paid the federal minimum wage or less. Among employed teenagers (ages 16 to 19) paid by the hour, about 8 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with about 1 percent of workers age 25 and older.
Marital status. Of those paid an hourly wage, never-married workers, who tend to be young, were more likely
(4 percent) than married workers (1 percent) to earn the federal minimum wage or less. (See table 8.)

Full- and part-time status. About 6 percent of part-time workers (persons who usually work fewer than 35 hours per week) were paid the federal minimum wage or less, compared with about 1 percent of full-time workers. (See table 1.)

Characteristics of minimum wage workers, 2017 : BLS Reports: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

So less than 1.8 million worked part time, weren't married, and therefore didn't NEED a 2 bedroom apartment!

BUT idiots that support that stupid $15 Federal minimum wage... don't seem to comprehend the concept..
"ONE SIZE doesn't fit all"!
It makes no sense to force a $15.00 minimum wage for Mississippi where if these part-time jobs were paying
$15.00... that either forces the employer to raise prices or cut hours or use robots!
I don’t understand why this is so hard for you people to get. This minimum wage is hardly the entire issue. We are talking about 10% of all counties. You do realize that people can’t live off 8 or 9 per hour full time right?

It's probably the factor less of income than it is what people spend their income on today.

How many of those people have cable or satellite television? How many of those people have smart phones with expensive plans? How many are driving cars older than five years of age? How many buy pay-per-view movies and how many a month? How many times do they dine out instead of eating at home a month?

People have different priorities today than people years back.
Budgeting and personal responsibility are obviously important and can help alleviate this problem to a small degree, but the bigger is what is actually available on a large scale. How many jobs pay over 14 per hour? How competitive are these jobs? Those are the questions that matter on a large scale. Cutting down on entertainment cost per month, while helpful, isn’t going to fix one’s poverty. They still make shit. Also, can you blame them for spending money on entertainment in the first place? God forbid they have Netflix accounts! Oh the horror!

People today spend a lot more money on things we didn't years ago. We either didn't have them or didn't want to forego the costs.

So Mr X doesn't make enough money to afford an apartment. Should that be the responsibility of Mr X or Mr.X employer?

This reminds me of something that happened a couple of years ago. An old friend became ill and lost her job. She worked for the government so she did better than people who have to go on SS disability, but when she lost her house, she only had her mothers to go to which she really didn't want to do; they don't get along very well.

By chance, one of my tenants moved out and I offered her the apartment at a discount rate. She thought about if but declined because of the expense, plus she wanted someplace that didn't have stairs and had a garage.

She said she simply could not afford to get an apartment. Then she gave me a list of all her expenses. One of them was her car. She was paying over $600.00 a month for it. I told her it's not a wonder why she can't afford an apartment. Her car payment is close to what an apartment costs! I suggested she sell the car, get an later model and not have any car payments. She didn't even consider it.

She had that car for at least a year before she lost her job, and I can guarantee you that one of the reasons she got behind on the mortgage was because of that Fn car. After I found out about that, I regretted making the offer to her.

Like I said, people have Fd up priorities these days. Many can't do without their conveniences. So this woman moved in with her mother for two years, and dreaded every single day; all for her stupid car.

I am surprised the Govt let her go

No choice. She was a corrections officer in a mens prison. Even healthy, those women would get assaulted all the time.

What a steaming pile of shit.

At minimum wage, how many hours of labor were required in 1979 (40 years ago) to buy the least expensive car? What if that car had power steering, power breaks, AM/FM stereo, and power windows? How many hours does it take today to buy a Kia Sonata with those features?

How many hours did it take to buy 1 pound of Top Sirloin Steak? How many today?

How many hours did it take to buy a 19" color TV? An inexpensive stereo? A pair of jeans? A pair of prescription glasses?

See, the thing about you Marxists is that you lie. You put up graphs from ThinkProgress or DailyKOS which are dishonestly stamped "source: St. Louis Federal Reserve" which is just a fucking lie, you got your graph from a Soros hate site, and we ALL know it.

The leftist hate sites attempt to deceive by using metrics that are not equivalent. So I challenge my leftist indoctrinated students to use a consistent metric, how many hours of labor at minimum wage?

Wow, that was an amazing rant. Seems someone did not take their meds today.

I do not know the answers to those things, but clearly you do, so lay out the data for us all to see.

I will happy be awaiting your response. In the mean time I will still be against the concept of a minimum wage while I guess you support one.
How can you be against a minimum wage? Don't you know what business owners would do with that? We're slaves enough, without that.

I am against an artificial minimum wage, especially on a Fed level. Since less than 3% of the populations works for minimum wage, I am not sure what you think business owners would do with it
They would take advantage of the people desperate for work and offer them $5 per hour. And they wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it, either.

We've not changed a bit since Dickens' day.

You are criticizing businesses for doing the exact same thing that you do.

If you need a major plumbing job and get three estimates, do you choose the most expensive one in concern about the plumbers family? How about when you get several estimates for somebody to rebuild your transmission? Are you paying the highest price possible for your lawn care service so those workers are paid well?

We all look for the cheapest price when it comes to labor, and industry is no different. Correct, if they can get competent good workers for five bucks an hour, that's exactly what they'll do. But today, most places that used to pay minimum wage offer much more because of the shortage of workers.
Yes the liberal drift is ALWAYS to the big, bad profit making corporations not providing enough to the worker. Proletariat,commie stuff.

'A national problem': U.S. housing affordability is out of whack with minimum wage

Obviously this should bother republican voters, but they have this fantasy mindset that Trump will turn this country into some kind of utopia despite the fact that he had two years to do so with a republican Congress. Their only response when presented with this is the usual pathetic deflection of “well Obama didn’t do it! Derp, derp, derp!”

Now granted Obama achieved little in improving the lives of the middle class and poor besides a few policies. These policies include 1) helping to reverse the Great Recession he inherited from Bush 6 months into his presidency and producing job growth EVER SINCE. 2) Expanding OT pay eligibility for thousands of US workers 3) guaranteeing people receive healthcare from pre-existing conditions, 4) passing the biggest middle class tax cut since Reagan

He also TRIED to invest education and raise the minimum wage but was blocked by republicans.

The point I am making is that republicans do fucking NOTHING to help the poor and middle class but democrats at least make an attempt despite failing on a significant scale. This nuance matters whether you like it or not.

The poor and the middle class are two separate groups....unless you get your way.

Kind of hard when Obama mandated you pay for health insurance before you pay your rent or buy food.

Kind of hard when Chicago has an extra tax on snickers bars

Kind of hard when living in blue cities and the local dog catcher is driving around in a BMW.

Kind of hard when your blue citiy city clerk is taking working vacations to Tahiti.

No it went by your income, if your Magi income, and if too low you were on Medicaid. Every one should pay what they can afford for health ins, I find the people who complain about the mandate, do not want to insure themselves and use the ER for this insurance.

Snicker bards should be taxed, its not needed.

Everyone working gets a vacation.

Stop with that nonsense, I am not going to pay for your risky unhealthy behaviors, pay for it yourself.

When it comes to fair wages to form an opinion I'd have to know over a set period of time the (1) inflation rate, (2) wage increase, and (3) increase in worker productivity. I didn't find the OP's attached article much use in forming any opinion as to what constitutes a fair wage.

I understand that conservative/republicans and liberal/democrats want their cake and eat it too. I'm pretty much middle-of-the-road, give-and-take in my opinions. Regarding wages my give-and-take and what I see as a fair balance is on one side I don't like anybody in government setting private sector wages. However I do want government to provide and protect worker's right to collective bargaining and am against right-to-work laws.

Thread title is a lie. He left out "minimum wage". You could as easily, and as truthfully, whine and beat your chest while saying "in 99% of the counties nobody can afford a house (while running a lemonade stand on the front drive).
Yes the thread title is fake as it frequently is from liberals.

Here's a little piece of economics that they teach in schools... called Supply and Demand. If there is no one around willing to take a job at a low wage, the wage increases.

Well Im not so sure they teach that anymore...But.the Democrats have a fix for that anyhow. Bring in illegals who will work for nothing if wages start rising. They have been doing it for years.

still way below the cost of living needs for a person working 40 hours a week

So don't work for them.

No one forces anyone to take a job that doesn't support their needs. If you aren't making enough money at your job, change jobs or spend less.
Okay again this a matter of simple mathematics. If everyone took your advice, who would be left behind to fill those jobs?

Nobody,..,until wages were bid up enough.

When it comes to fair wages to form an opinion I'd have to know over a set period of time the (1) inflation rate, (2) wage increase, and (3) increase in worker productivity. I didn't find the OP's attached article much use in forming any opinion as to what constitutes a fair wage.

I understand that conservative/republicans and liberal/democrats want their cake and eat it too. I'm pretty much middle-of-the-road, give-and-take in my opinions. Regarding wages my give-and-take and what I see as a fair balance is on one side I don't like anybody in government setting private sector wages. However I do want government to provide and protect worker's right to collective bargaining and am against right-to-work laws.

So you are for being forced into a union to work at a certain company? That's what it was before. I know, I applied at some of those places. In order to work there, you were forced to join a union, which means I would be forced to pay union dues that went to political movements against my approval.

No thanks. Right to work states are much better. The more choices you have, the more freedom you have.

It is a damn good thing that less than 4% of all US workers earn minimum wage then!

Why do you speak of "middle class" when talking about minimum wage. The only way minimum wage affects the middle class is by how much their teenage kids get paid during their high school years.

Yeah if you had it your way with a $15 dollar minimum wage over 40% of workers would make minimum wage.

Actually dumb fuck if you read the thread you would know that I am opposed to an artificial minimum wage. Fuck dude, do you have to try and be this stupid or does it come naturally?

I don’t understand why this is so hard for you people to get. This minimum wage is hardly the entire issue. We are talking about 10% of all counties. You do realize that people can’t live off 8 or 9 per hour full time right?

It's probably the factor less of income than it is what people spend their income on today.

How many of those people have cable or satellite television? How many of those people have smart phones with expensive plans? How many are driving cars older than five years of age? How many buy pay-per-view movies and how many a month? How many times do they dine out instead of eating at home a month?

Budgeting and personal responsibility are obviously important and can help alleviate this problem to a small degree, but the bigger is what is actually available on a large scale. How many jobs pay over 14 per hour? How competitive are these jobs? Those are the questions that matter on a large scale. Cutting down on entertainment cost per month, while helpful, isn’t going to fix one’s poverty. They still make shit. Also, can you blame them for spending money on entertainment in the first place? God forbid they have Netflix accounts! Oh the horror!

People today spend a lot more money on things we didn't years ago. We either didn't have them or didn't want to forego the costs.

So Mr X doesn't make enough money to afford an apartment. Should that be the responsibility of Mr X or Mr.X employer?

This reminds me of something that happened a couple of years ago. An old friend became ill and lost her job. She worked for the government so she did better than people who have to go on SS disability, but when she lost her house, she only had her mothers to go to which she really didn't want to do; they don't get along very well.

By chance, one of my tenants moved out and I offered her the apartment at a discount rate. She thought about if but declined because of the expense, plus she wanted someplace that didn't have stairs and had a garage.

She said she simply could not afford to get an apartment. Then she gave me a list of all her expenses. One of them was her car. She was paying over $600.00 a month for it. I told her it's not a wonder why she can't afford an apartment. Her car payment is close to what an apartment costs! I suggested she sell the car, get an later model and not have any car payments. She didn't even consider it.

She had that car for at least a year before she lost her job, and I can guarantee you that one of the reasons she got behind on the mortgage was because of that Fn car. After I found out about that, I regretted making the offer to her.

Like I said, people have Fd up priorities these days. Many can't do without their conveniences. So this woman moved in with her mother for two years, and dreaded every single day; all for her stupid car.

I am surprised the Govt let her go

No choice. She was a corrections officer in a mens prison. Even healthy, those women would get assaulted all the time.

that makes a lot of sense. not a job for the frail.

Wow, that was an amazing rant. Seems someone did not take their meds today.

I do not know the answers to those things, but clearly you do, so lay out the data for us all to see.

I will happy be awaiting your response. In the mean time I will still be against the concept of a minimum wage while I guess you support one.
How can you be against a minimum wage? Don't you know what business owners would do with that? We're slaves enough, without that.

I am against an artificial minimum wage, especially on a Fed level. Since less than 3% of the populations works for minimum wage, I am not sure what you think business owners would do with it
They would take advantage of the people desperate for work and offer them $5 per hour. And they wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it, either.

We've not changed a bit since Dickens' day.

You are criticizing businesses for doing the exact same thing that you do.

If you need a major plumbing job and get three estimates, do you choose the most expensive one in concern about the plumbers family? How about when you get several estimates for somebody to rebuild your transmission? Are you paying the highest price possible for your lawn care service so those workers are paid well?

We all look for the cheapest price when it comes to labor, and industry is no different. Correct, if they can get competent good workers for five bucks an hour, that's exactly what they'll do. But today, most places that used to pay minimum wage offer much more because of the shortage of workers.
Yes the liberal drift is ALWAYS to the big, bad profit making corporations not providing enough to the worker. Proletariat,commie stuff.

These leftists want business to pay labor much more than their worth, but then never buy a product from that company because overseas products are much cheaper.

This is strange.

How are there not MILLIONS of empty 2-bedroom apartments?

Liberal controlled areas skew this statistic anyhow . Look at California, New York, Mass and Conn. The more control liberals have over any state the harder it is to own a house.

county.png

Last edited:
List of companies that paid bonuses or boosted pay since tax bill passed

Raises and bonuses as corporations made more and invested in CAPEX. Low unemployment also means workers who change jobs get a nice boost in salary and bonus. I see it firsthand here in Boston.

Not to downplay such things, but a $1000 dollar one time bonus does not really do much for most middle class families, especially since most companies paid it out over a period of time and did not give them the lump sum.

Unemployment was low before the tax cuts, there is no data to suggest there was more hiring because of the tax cuts.

The thing you miss is that corporations in the US were making record setting profits before the tax cuts, they could have done all those things anyhow.

Right but budgets are set and when you exceed budget you have the option to reward the employees. $1k is not awful. That’s like 3 car payments for many.

As I said, corporations in the US were making record setting profits before the tax cuts...thus they were exceeding their budgets.

Not if the budget called for the record profit? If my budget calls for $100 in profit and last year I hit $95, which was a record and this year I achieve $115 because of the tax cuts then I can take $7 of the $15 extra and give it to my employees and that is what happened.

:21::21::21:

Nobody budgets for record profits.

What? If my business achieved a profit of $10 last year and it was my record and I budget for 10% growth this year or $11, I just budgeted for record profits. Do you understand basic finance? I recommend an education.

FACTS... where are yours? NOT one source substantiating your dumb ass UNINFORMED comments!

Among those paid by the hour, 542,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 1.3 million had wages below the federal minimum.
Together, these 1.8 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 2.3 percent of all hourly paid workers.
Although workers under age 25 represented only about one-fifth of hourly paid workers, they made up about half of those paid the federal minimum wage or less. Among employed teenagers (ages 16 to 19) paid by the hour, about 8 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with about 1 percent of workers age 25 and older.
Marital status. Of those paid an hourly wage, never-married workers, who tend to be young, were more likely
(4 percent) than married workers (1 percent) to earn the federal minimum wage or less. (See table 8.)

Full- and part-time status. About 6 percent of part-time workers (persons who usually work fewer than 35 hours per week) were paid the federal minimum wage or less, compared with about 1 percent of full-time workers. (See table 1.)

Characteristics of minimum wage workers, 2017 : BLS Reports: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

So less than 1.8 million worked part time, weren't married, and therefore didn't NEED a 2 bedroom apartment!

BUT idiots that support that stupid $15 Federal minimum wage... don't seem to comprehend the concept..
"ONE SIZE doesn't fit all"!
It makes no sense to force a $15.00 minimum wage for Mississippi where if these part-time jobs were paying
$15.00... that either forces the employer to raise prices or cut hours or use robots!

The real problem is broken families. Liberals have been assaulting the family for 50 years now. It makes money for big business and it makes the government more powerful. it is and has always been hard for any human to make it alone. Especially a woman. By shattering the family unit you have desperate poverty stricken women working shit jobs for minimum wage...but they are a gold mine for pay day loan operators and the food stamp kings like Walmart and Kroger. Every broken home is an extra air conditioner, an extra roof, a day care slot for those who prey on them.
Intact families are hugely efficient.
Then the kids. With no morals or schooling they find themselves at 19 with a kid to support and no job skills and a shattered piecemeal extended family who is in almost as bad shape and can provide no safety net. I see it all summer here...poor kids sitting in the corner of Taco Bell and McDonalds playing on Ipads while their mother sells fast food a few feet away. They must look forward to fall when they can sit in day care after school instead of the fast food benches.
And so the whine for bigger government comes. "Women..you dont need a man! You just need the government!"

What liberals sell as freedom is actually slavery.

Not to downplay such things, but a $1000 dollar one time bonus does not really do much for most middle class families, especially since most companies paid it out over a period of time and did not give them the lump sum.

Unemployment was low before the tax cuts, there is no data to suggest there was more hiring because of the tax cuts.

The thing you miss is that corporations in the US were making record setting profits before the tax cuts, they could have done all those things anyhow.

Right but budgets are set and when you exceed budget you have the option to reward the employees. $1k is not awful. That’s like 3 car payments for many.

As I said, corporations in the US were making record setting profits before the tax cuts...thus they were exceeding their budgets.

Not if the budget called for the record profit? If my budget calls for $100 in profit and last year I hit $95, which was a record and this year I achieve $115 because of the tax cuts then I can take $7 of the $15 extra and give it to my employees and that is what happened.

What? If my business achieved a profit of $10 last year and it was my record and I budget for 10% growth this year or $11, I just budgeted for record profits. Do you understand basic finance? I recommend an education.

no, you are budgeting for growth, not profit. :290968001256257790-final:

no, you are budgeting for growth, not profit. :290968001256257790-final:

Wrong. I said Profit!!! Aka EPS. Revenue growth is meaningless but profit is the key. I work in this field you asshole. No one budgets for record revenues and losses you’re making an ass of yourself. Want to bet our status on this board? You do this often, that earnings growth is the critical aspect and not revenues.

Forum List

Back