In only 10% of counties in the US can a worker afford a 2 bedroom apartment working 40 hours a week

Wrong. I said Profit!!! Aka EPS. Revenue growth is meaningless but profit is the key. I work in this field you asshole. No one budgets for record revenues and losses you’re making an ass of yourself. Want to bet our status on this board? You do this often, that earnings growth is the critical aspect and not revenues.

What "field" is that? A poppy field? :21::21::21:

Finance. I am Making an ass out of you. You believe the companies budget for revenue growth and not earnings? Idiot. Take a finance class. You’re embarrassing yourself.

You often think you do that to people, yet you never really do.

I did not say "revenue growth", I said growth..as in all the things involved in that happening. Do try and keep up.

Growth in what? Earnings. That is all that matters. When you budget you do so for bottom line growth or earnings you idiot. Hence when the news states that ABC company missed its earnings guidance, their stock drops. You’re so freaking stupid. And many times companies budget for record earnings and when an unexpected event like tax drop occurs they exceed these projections. You’re dumb Gator, F&ck!

Fair point. I misunderstood your initial post. I can admit to being dumb when I make a mistake.

Thank you

Poverty continues due to a continuation of the bad choices and lack of personal responsibility that got you into poverty to begin with. Verylittle outside forces that are keeping you in it.

40 hours a week is evidence of trying to improve ones self. Those bootstraps go just so far up.

Do you think poverty is a character flaw?

Conservatives love to blame victims.

I think if you are content to work 40 hours a week at minimum wage then you are not doing much to help yourself unless you have an actual physical or mental disability.

My son got his first job this past spring and it was at a fast food place. He would come home and tell me about the 35 and 40 year olds he worked with and how all they did was bitch about the pay. Even as a 16/17 year old he knew enough to ask himself...why the fuck are they working fast food at that age?
Because the low paying jobs are the jobs available.

Don't work for minimum wage... problem solved.
Well gee, that’s a brilliant solution. Okay so let’s pretend everyone did that despite such a thing being mathematically impossible. Who would be left behind to work those minimum wage jobs? I mean we are also talking about service jobs that pay more than minimum wage but still very much south of a live able wage.

Take a job, for a wage is, at least until Communism is installed in the US, a voluntary act.

There will always be those too lazy or unskilled to work for anything but the lowest wages. But, by agreeing to a wage that somehow doesn't provide you with enough weed or che t-shirts, you've lost the moral right to demand more.

If you aren't satisfied with your low wages, go do something else.

Otherwise, take what you agreed to take when you took the job and like it.
Just like a true zionist arrogant and degrading.
lot of low paying jobs are the only ones left for people who chose not to rob people or become gangsters, and you sitting on your ass on a computer talking down to them. And besides most of those jobs are not for the lazy. Try working at McDonald's running orders or cooking and tell us if it's easy.

True.

Republicans not only do nothing, but they couldn’t care less about the housing crisis.

False.

Democrats not only do nothing, but they couldn't care less about the housing crisis.

Example: San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit ...

Name one major city that the republicans have stepped up to the plate. Aren't you all smarter and should be able to handle it better? Or are you running scared and letting the Democrats take the lumps.
if they don't get voted into power how are they supposed to do anything?

Poverty stems from several areas. Again, drugs are a huge problem in the US today. You can't get well paying jobs and smoke pot at the same time.

This is really not true, especially since it is legal to do so in many states and many companies no longer test for it.

It's very true. Trust me, I work in industry all day long.

Better paying companies drug test their employees because they get cheaper Workman's compensation rates.

One of our customers is a steel manufacturer. The guy who loads my truck was telling me how hard it was for the company to get help. The starting pay isn't bad for non-skilled labor, about fifteen bucks an hour. But if you're not a jerk off, you can move to eighteen or so in a year or two.

They put out ads and have have applicants come to a seminar to apply; usually about 15 to 20 people show up. There they introduce the company, what it is they exactly do, and what kind of jobs they have available. Before the HR person begins the seminar, he tells the applicants up front that the company drug tests, and if they have a problem with that, it's not worth their time to sit through the seminar. He told me about a dozen or so people get up and just leave.

My employer the same way. The only people that are interested in the jobs are people who can't pass the drug test. He tells them when they apply it's not his standard, but governments standard and there is nothing he can do about it. They just thank him for the job offer and mosey on off into the sunset.

It is a huge problem today.

In your industry I am sure it is true. But the statisticians and analyst that work with me will never be tested and have no chance of having an industrial accident.

Even my welding job back in the late 80s, had they tested the welding line of 16 welders there would have been 4 left, maybe. I would not have been one of them. But they did not randomly test, only if you had an accident. Out of the ones that smoked weed, most were great welders and it did not effect their job performance at all. There was one guy when i was still a grinder that would go get stoned at lunch...I could tell by how ugly his welds got. The company found a reason to test him and he was gone. But the rest they never messed with as long as they did their jobs correctly.

40 hours a week is evidence of trying to improve ones self. Those bootstraps go just so far up.

I think if you are content to work 40 hours a week at minimum wage then you are not doing much to help yourself unless you have an actual physical or mental disability.

My son got his first job this past spring and it was at a fast food place. He would come home and tell me about the 35 and 40 year olds he worked with and how all they did was bitch about the pay. Even as a 16/17 year old he knew enough to ask himself...why the fuck are they working fast food at that age?

Baloney. Within a 25 mile radius of my little town of 24,000 there are more than 5000 job opening listed on Indeed.com alone that pay more than 35 grand a year.

So landlords should be free to discriminate against any tenant for no good reason? Landlords should be free to collide on rents, lease conditions and residency requirements with no in put from representative governments. No health and safety regulations are needed because the landlords who are actually slumlords should have a free hand. What about rent subsidy vouchers? Should the voucher issuing authority not inspect subsidized units?

I see that you prefer fascism to free markets.
There are free markets and there are fair markets. When you work 40 hours a week as an adult, the very least thing you deserve is decent, safe and scecure housing.

Then work to improve yourself so that you have those things. It is not your employers job to give you those things, their only job is to make money for their company, which keeps the company in business.

Poverty stems from several areas. Again, drugs are a huge problem in the US today. You can't get well paying jobs and smoke pot at the same time. Irresponsible decisions is another. If you are working at Target, don't have any children. If you do have children, don't have them with your boyfriend that you knew for a couple of months. Have children with a guy that you've known for a considerable amount of time that you're assured they won't pack up and leave you with the kids. Poverty is directly related to single-parent households. If you don't make a lot of money, don't buy things you don't need or can't afford. Don't worry, they'll be another new iPhone when you get back on your feet.
So is eliminating women's health facilities a good step toward reducing poverty? Is having artificially high rents a good first step toward reducing poverty? Is reducing school funding themnest way to reduce poverty?

Tax cuts for the super wealthy are embraced, as is cutting any services for reducing poverty. And that's the best way to serve all voters?

It's not the job of the government to protect either. The market does that.

Two people entering into a strictly voluntary agreement that exchanges use of property for money isn't the concern of government.

If either side violates, or is believed to have violated, that agreement, it's up to the courts to decide if redress is required. That should the extend of the state's involvement.
So landlords should be free to discriminate against any tenant for no good reason? Landlords should be free to collide on rents, lease conditions and residency requirements with no in put from representative governments. No health and safety regulations are needed because the landlords who are actually slumlords should have a free hand. What about rent subsidy vouchers? Should the voucher issuing authority not inspect subsidized units?

There are free markets and there are fair markets. When you work 40 hours a week as an adult, the very least thing you deserve is decent, safe and scecure housing.

You don't get paid by what YOU think you deserve. You get paid by your value to the company. If you are not worth much to your company or any other, it's up to you to make yourself worth more.

This is the key for the most part. While it is true that there are some fields that in my opinion are vastly underpaid (nurses for example), for the most part the more skills you have to offer, the more money you will make.

One of my jobs before joining the Marines was as a "grinder" in a company that made fire engines. I would grind down the welds and prepare the trunk for the paint shop where they did the fine detailing and painting. It was a shitty, dirty job. Grinding aluminium all day is not much fun, and the pay was pretty shitty. The welders that I did the grinding for made a shit ton more than I did. So I became friends with a few of them and they taught me how to weld, and then when there was an opening I moved from grinder to welder and my pay almost doubled. I was not content to grind wields all day, so I did something about it. Anyone can do something like that.

A friend of mine there that was a welder didn't want to do that his whole life so he took advantage of what the company offered, went back to college and came back and designed the trucks he used to build. He got paid a lot more because his skill was even more unique than that of a welder.

Your theory has some holes in it.

Many years ago I was repairing medical equipment. The company wanted me to go to electronics school just for liability purposes. After a few months of working six days a week and going to school several nights a week, I kind of got burned out. So I asked one of my instructors what kind of money I could make if I stayed in school and got my FCC certificate? He told me about 16K a year. Unsatisfied with the answer, I asked what I would make staying in two years and getting my associates degree in electronics? He told me about 18K a year. Hell, I was already making more money at the job I was working at. So I quit.

There are jobs where you can get a lot of training for, but don't pay anything. Why? Because there are so many in that field already. During the early 80's, everybody and their mother wanted to get into electronics, but there are no jobs available unless you get an engineers degree which is four years.

So what is an employee worth? You are worth as much as your employer can pay somebody to do the same job and quality of work that you do. That's it. You are worth nothing more regardless of education.

This is why hair stylists are one of the worst paying professions. Every girl wants to be one. It takes skill, training, and talent to do the job. But it's irrelevant since every fourth or fifth girl is a hair stylist.

During high school I worked in a cannery. After high school I went to work at McDonalds became a shift leader in 2 months, that was the last time I was ever close to minimum wage. It’s a great starting point, not a career wage.

You don't get paid by what YOU think you deserve. You get paid by your value to the company. If you are not worth much to your company or any other, it's up to you to make yourself worth more.

This is the key for the most part. While it is true that there are some fields that in my opinion are vastly underpaid (nurses for example), for the most part the more skills you have to offer, the more money you will make.

One of my jobs before joining the Marines was as a "grinder" in a company that made fire engines. I would grind down the welds and prepare the trunk for the paint shop where they did the fine detailing and painting. It was a shitty, dirty job. Grinding aluminium all day is not much fun, and the pay was pretty shitty. The welders that I did the grinding for made a shit ton more than I did. So I became friends with a few of them and they taught me how to weld, and then when there was an opening I moved from grinder to welder and my pay almost doubled. I was not content to grind wields all day, so I did something about it. Anyone can do something like that.

A friend of mine there that was a welder didn't want to do that his whole life so he took advantage of what the company offered, went back to college and came back and designed the trucks he used to build. He got paid a lot more because his skill was even more unique than that of a welder.

Your theory has some holes in it.

Many years ago I was repairing medical equipment. The company wanted me to go to electronics school just for liability purposes. After a few months of working six days a week and going to school several nights a week, I kind of got burned out. So I asked one of my instructors what kind of money I could make if I stayed in school and got my FCC certificate? He told me about 16K a year. Unsatisfied with the answer, I asked what I would make staying in two years and getting my associates degree in electronics? He told me about 18K a year. Hell, I was already making more money at the job I was working at. So I quit.

There are jobs where you can get a lot of training for, but don't pay anything. Why? Because there are so many in that field already. During the early 80's, everybody and their mother wanted to get into electronics, but there are no jobs available unless you get an engineers degree which is four years.

So what is an employee worth? You are worth as much as your employer can pay somebody to do the same job and quality of work that you do. That's it. You are worth nothing more regardless of education.

This is why hair stylists are one of the worst paying professions. Every girl wants to be one. It takes skill, training, and talent to do the job. But it's irrelevant since every fourth or fifth girl is a hair stylist.

There are always exceptions to the rules.

Though, these days getting more education while working is so much easier than when you and I were younger.

The advent of Distance Learning programs have been very helpful in that area.

Even my Masters degree was a hybrid, most work was done on the computer and we met once a week for 90 minutes. I was putting in 65 to 75 hours a week at WalMart and could not have done a traditional course load involving going to class.

I was lucky with my welding at the time, I was able to learn without going to school. I was taught during lunch and after hours and the company was ok with it. When I got hired as a welder I was the only one not school trained, so they paid me a tad less, but that was it.

Then work to improve yourself so that you have those things. It is not your employers job to give you those things, their only job is to make money for their company, which keeps the company in business.

Poverty stems from several areas. Again, drugs are a huge problem in the US today. You can't get well paying jobs and smoke pot at the same time. Irresponsible decisions is another. If you are working at Target, don't have any children. If you do have children, don't have them with your boyfriend that you knew for a couple of months. Have children with a guy that you've known for a considerable amount of time that you're assured they won't pack up and leave you with the kids. Poverty is directly related to single-parent households. If you don't make a lot of money, don't buy things you don't need or can't afford. Don't worry, they'll be another new iPhone when you get back on your feet.
So is eliminating women's health facilities a good step toward reducing poverty? Is having artificially high rents a good first step toward reducing poverty? Is reducing school funding themnest way to reduce poverty?

Tax cuts for the super wealthy are embraced, as is cutting any services for reducing poverty. And that's the best way to serve all voters?

So what health facilities were eliminated and what school funding do you speak of?

This isn't anything new, it's been going on for a long time. If anything, things are better today for most people. But nobody is going to come knocking at your door with a great paying job doing nothing. Nobody is going to give you dirt cheap rent when there are so many people in need of living space and are willing to pay most anything to get it.

The solution to these problems are the individuals--not companies or rich people. You people on the left are going to have to learn you can't get everything you want. You can't make 50K a year turning nuts onto bolts. A guy can't become a woman by wearing a dress. You can't eliminate crazy people by taking away guns.

What a steaming pile of shit.

At minimum wage, how many hours of labor were required in 1979 (40 years ago) to buy the least expensive car? What if that car had power steering, power breaks, AM/FM stereo, and power windows? How many hours does it take today to buy a Kia Sonata with those features?

How many hours did it take to buy 1 pound of Top Sirloin Steak? How many today?

How many hours did it take to buy a 19" color TV? An inexpensive stereo? A pair of jeans? A pair of prescription glasses?

See, the thing about you Marxists is that you lie. You put up graphs from ThinkProgress or DailyKOS which are dishonestly stamped "source: St. Louis Federal Reserve" which is just a fucking lie, you got your graph from a Soros hate site, and we ALL know it.

The leftist hate sites attempt to deceive by using metrics that are not equivalent. So I challenge my leftist indoctrinated students to use a consistent metric, how many hours of labor at minimum wage?

Wow, that was an amazing rant. Seems someone did not take their meds today.

I do not know the answers to those things, but clearly you do, so lay out the data for us all to see.

I will happy be awaiting your response. In the mean time I will still be against the concept of a minimum wage while I guess you support one.

:lol:

It's quite easy to find out Comrade.

Minimum wage in 1979 was $2.90 an hour. The least expensive car was the Ford Pinto Run About at $4,299. To add air conditioning was $500. To "buy" that car cost 1,654.48 hours of labor.

Least expensive car in 2019 is the Kia Rio, it has power everything and air conditioning. I added air to the Pinto but nothing else. It has an MSRP of $11,990. To "buy" this car at minimum wage now will cost 1,453.33 hours of labor at the federal minimum of $8.25. Yeah, it's a piece of crap, but better than the Pinto was.

Minimum Wage in 1979. How much was inflation?

We can do the same with the steak, but with Stater Brothers running Sirloin for $2.99 a pound, there isn't a lot of point. Ditto the TV and virtually ANY consumer good. Shall we talk phone bills? Long Distance?

Poverty stems from several areas. Again, drugs are a huge problem in the US today. You can't get well paying jobs and smoke pot at the same time.

This is really not true, especially since it is legal to do so in many states and many companies no longer test for it.

Better paying companies drug test their employees because they get cheaper Workman's compensation rates.

One of our customers is a steel manufacturer. The guy who loads my truck was telling me how hard it was for the company to get help. The starting pay isn't bad for non-skilled labor, about fifteen bucks an hour. But if you're not a jerk off, you can move to eighteen or so in a year or two.

They put out ads and have have applicants come to a seminar to apply; usually about 15 to 20 people show up. There they introduce the company, what it is they exactly do, and what kind of jobs they have available. Before the HR person begins the seminar, he tells the applicants up front that the company drug tests, and if they have a problem with that, it's not worth their time to sit through the seminar. He told me about a dozen or so people get up and just leave.

My employer the same way. The only people that are interested in the jobs are people who can't pass the drug test. He tells them when they apply it's not his standard, but governments standard and there is nothing he can do about it. They just thank him for the job offer and mosey on off into the sunset.

In your industry I am sure it is true. But the statisticians and analyst that work with me will never be tested and have no chance of having an industrial accident.

Even my welding job back in the late 80s, had they tested the welding line of 16 welders there would have been 4 left, maybe. I would not have been one of them. But they did not randomly test, only if you had an accident. Out of the ones that smoked weed, most were great welders and it did not effect their job performance at all. There was one guy when i was still a grinder that would go get stoned at lunch...I could tell by how ugly his welds got. The company found a reason to test him and he was gone. But the rest they never messed with as long as they did their jobs correctly.

I never said their work was unacceptable, but they didn't drug test people like they do today. Today, just about any decent paying job has mandatory drug screens. Me and nearly all of my friends smoked pot in the day and we all had jobs with no problems. Virtually nobody drug tested back then.

There are jobs available in any reasonable income you desire. But like I said, you have to get off the drugs and go find those jobs. They're out there.

At minimum wage, how many hours of labor were required in 1979 (40 years ago) to buy the least expensive car? What if that car had power steering, power breaks, AM/FM stereo, and power windows? How many hours does it take today to buy a Kia Sonata with those features?

How many hours did it take to buy a 19" color TV? An inexpensive stereo? A pair of jeans? A pair of prescription glasses?

See, the thing about you Marxists is that you lie. You put up graphs from ThinkProgress or DailyKOS which are dishonestly stamped "source: St. Louis Federal Reserve" which is just a fucking lie, you got your graph from a Soros hate site, and we ALL know it.

The leftist hate sites attempt to deceive by using metrics that are not equivalent. So I challenge my leftist indoctrinated students to use a consistent metric, how many hours of labor at minimum wage?

I do not know the answers to those things, but clearly you do, so lay out the data for us all to see.

I will happy be awaiting your response. In the mean time I will still be against the concept of a minimum wage while I guess you support one.

Minimum wage in 1979 was $2.90 an hour. The least expensive car was the Ford Pinto Run About at $4,299. To add air conditioning was $500. To "buy" that car cost 1,654.48 hours of labor.

Least expensive car in 2019 is the Kia Rio, it has power everything and air conditioning. I added air to the Pinto but nothing else. It has an MSRP of $11,990. To "buy" this car at minimum wage now will cost 1,453.33 hours of labor at the federal minimum of $8.25. Yeah, it's a piece of crap, but better than the Pinto was.

We can do the same with the steak, but with Stater Brothers running Sirloin for $2.99 a pound, there isn't a lot of point. Ditto the TV and virtually ANY consumer good. Shall we talk phone bills? Long Distance?

So, how does this tie into your support of the Fed Minimum wage increasing?

How does that work for housing?

In 1979 the average house was 67,700. That comes out to 23,345.83 hours worked.
Today it is $361,100 or 43,769.70 hours worked.

How about healthcare...

In 1979 the average cost for healthcare per person was $971.00 or 334.83 hours worked.

In 2017 that cost was $10,739 or 1301.70 hours worked.

There is an amazing correlation....

The BIGGER the GOVERNMENT GETS....

The POORER the PEOPLE BECOME....

I never said their work was unacceptable, but they didn't drug test people like they do today. Today, just about any decent paying job has mandatory drug screens. Me and nearly all of my friends smoked pot in the day and we all had jobs with no problems. Virtually nobody drug tested back then.

Depends on the field. No company in my field is drug testing anyone, they do not care and ti would be a waste of money for them.

Hell my wife and daughter are both nurses and they have been tested twice, once to get into school and once to get their licenses. Not once by their jobs.

People like the OP want everything handed to them.
Instead of being motivated to improve their skills in order to obtain a higher standard of living, they want the government to fix it for them and not expect them to work for it.
You increase the minimum wage across the board to a so-called "livable wage" and you'll immediately threaten the standard of living for those who have been in the workforce for years.

This works for the individual, not for tens of millions. No, there are not tens of millions better paying jobs out there. And the ones that are, are becoming less so all the time.

how do you gain anything if you make more money but everything you buy costs more? You lefties just don't understand basic economics. If an employer has to pay more for labor he has two choices; hire fewer people or raise his prices. So raising the minimum wage either puts people on unemployment or causes them to pay more for everything they need to live.

the price of labor should be set by supply and demand just like the price of diamonds or big macs. Artificially raising the cost of labor always causes inflation which hurts the low income workers more than anyone else.
Diamonds arent a free market item. Theyd more or less be worthless overnight if Debeers emptied theyre vaults. They are made artificially scarce by the corporations who have vertically integrated everything from mining them to end phase retail sales.

I suppose you see no issue with comcast buying up content creation? Comcast would be much better off if they made sure they competently upgrade their service, or at least competently fix it. Theyve conned 15 states into suing to block the tmo/sprint merger because only a fool would look at their 5g plan and not see the writing on the wall for fixed wire service providers (who are already hemorrhaging subscribers and consistently top the charts for worst customer service in the country).

The more this shit goes on, the more i think the only fix is dismantling it all and starting the federal govt from scratch. Its all too large, wasteful and partisan to do anything, let alone anything competently.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

how about bacon...in 79 you worked .51 hours for your pound of bacon, toady is it .67 hours.

Wow, this is sort of fun! :113:

Forum List

Back