In only 10% of counties in the US can a worker afford a 2 bedroom apartment working 40 hours a week

What a steaming pile of shit.

At minimum wage, how many hours of labor were required in 1979 (40 years ago) to buy the least expensive car? What if that car had power steering, power breaks, AM/FM stereo, and power windows? How many hours does it take today to buy a Kia Sonata with those features?

How many hours did it take to buy 1 pound of Top Sirloin Steak? How many today?

How many hours did it take to buy a 19" color TV? An inexpensive stereo? A pair of jeans? A pair of prescription glasses?

See, the thing about you Marxists is that you lie. You put up graphs from ThinkProgress or DailyKOS which are dishonestly stamped "source: St. Louis Federal Reserve" which is just a fucking lie, you got your graph from a Soros hate site, and we ALL know it.

The leftist hate sites attempt to deceive by using metrics that are not equivalent. So I challenge my leftist indoctrinated students to use a consistent metric, how many hours of labor at minimum wage?

Wow, that was an amazing rant. Seems someone did not take their meds today.

I do not know the answers to those things, but clearly you do, so lay out the data for us all to see.

I will happy be awaiting your response. In the mean time I will still be against the concept of a minimum wage while I guess you support one.

I don’t understand why this is so hard for you people to get. This minimum wage is hardly the entire issue. We are talking about 10% of all counties. You do realize that people can’t live off 8 or 9 per hour full time right?
Not my problem. If you can't afford to buy a house, rent an apartment. If you can't afford the rent, buy a tent.
No shit it’s not your problem you jackass. No one is expecting you to fix it.

At minimum wage, how many hours of labor were required in 1979 (40 years ago) to buy the least expensive car? What if that car had power steering, power breaks, AM/FM stereo, and power windows? How many hours does it take today to buy a Kia Sonata with those features?

How many hours did it take to buy a 19" color TV? An inexpensive stereo? A pair of jeans? A pair of prescription glasses?

See, the thing about you Marxists is that you lie. You put up graphs from ThinkProgress or DailyKOS which are dishonestly stamped "source: St. Louis Federal Reserve" which is just a fucking lie, you got your graph from a Soros hate site, and we ALL know it.

The leftist hate sites attempt to deceive by using metrics that are not equivalent. So I challenge my leftist indoctrinated students to use a consistent metric, how many hours of labor at minimum wage?

I do not know the answers to those things, but clearly you do, so lay out the data for us all to see.

I will happy be awaiting your response. In the mean time I will still be against the concept of a minimum wage while I guess you support one.
How can you be against a minimum wage? Don't you know what business owners would do with that? We're slaves enough, without that.

'A national problem': U.S. housing affordability is out of whack with minimum wage

Obviously this should bother republican voters, but they have this fantasy mindset that Trump will turn this country into some kind of utopia despite the fact that he had two years to do so with a republican Congress. Their only response when presented with this is the usual pathetic deflection of “well Obama didn’t do it! Derp, derp, derp!”

Now granted Obama achieved little in improving the lives of the middle class and poor besides a few policies. These policies include 1) helping to reverse the Great Recession he inherited from Bush 6 months into his presidency and producing job growth EVER SINCE. 2) Expanding OT pay eligibility for thousands of US workers 3) guaranteeing people receive healthcare from pre-existing conditions, 4) passing the biggest middle class tax cut since Reagan

He also TRIED to invest education and raise the minimum wage but was blocked by republicans.

The point I am making is that republicans do fucking NOTHING to help the poor and middle class but democrats at least make an attempt despite failing on a significant scale. This nuance matters whether you like it or not.

FACTS... where are yours? NOT one source substantiating your dumb ass UNINFORMED comments!

Among those paid by the hour, 542,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 1.3 million had wages below the federal minimum.
Together, these 1.8 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 2.3 percent of all hourly paid workers.
Although workers under age 25 represented only about one-fifth of hourly paid workers, they made up about half of those paid the federal minimum wage or less. Among employed teenagers (ages 16 to 19) paid by the hour, about 8 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with about 1 percent of workers age 25 and older.
Marital status. Of those paid an hourly wage, never-married workers, who tend to be young, were more likely
(4 percent) than married workers (1 percent) to earn the federal minimum wage or less. (See table 8.)

Full- and part-time status. About 6 percent of part-time workers (persons who usually work fewer than 35 hours per week) were paid the federal minimum wage or less, compared with about 1 percent of full-time workers. (See table 1.)

Characteristics of minimum wage workers, 2017 : BLS Reports: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

So less than 1.8 million worked part time, weren't married, and therefore didn't NEED a 2 bedroom apartment!

BUT idiots that support that stupid $15 Federal minimum wage... don't seem to comprehend the concept..
"ONE SIZE doesn't fit all"!
It makes no sense to force a $15.00 minimum wage for Mississippi where if these part-time jobs were paying
$15.00... that either forces the employer to raise prices or cut hours or use robots!
I don’t understand why this is so hard for you people to get. This minimum wage is hardly the entire issue. We are talking about 10% of all counties. You do realize that people can’t live off 8 or 9 per hour full time right?

It's probably the factor less of income than it is what people spend their income on today.

How many of those people have cable or satellite television? How many of those people have smart phones with expensive plans? How many are driving cars older than five years of age? How many buy pay-per-view movies and how many a month? How many times do they dine out instead of eating at home a month?

People have different priorities today than people years back.
Budgeting and personal responsibility are obviously important and can help alleviate this problem to a small degree, but the bigger is what is actually available on a large scale. How many jobs pay over 14 per hour? How competitive are these jobs? Those are the questions that matter on a large scale. Cutting down on entertainment cost per month, while helpful, isn’t going to fix one’s poverty. They still make shit. Also, can you blame them for spending money on entertainment in the first place? God forbid they have Netflix accounts! Oh the horror!

How can you be against a minimum wage? Don't you know what business owners would do with that? We're slaves enough, without that.

I am against an artificial minimum wage, especially on a Fed level. Since less than 3% of the populations works for minimum wage, I am not sure what you think business owners would do with it

Oh he's trying shit stain but you filth stop him at every turn.

He is trying! :21::21::21::21::21::21:

Lower corporate taxes did help the middle class.

How did they do that?

List of companies that paid bonuses or boosted pay since tax bill passed

Raises and bonuses as corporations made more and invested in CAPEX. Low unemployment also means workers who change jobs get a nice boost in salary and bonus. I see it firsthand here in Boston.

Not to downplay such things, but a $1000 dollar one time bonus does not really do much for most middle class families, especially since most companies paid it out over a period of time and did not give them the lump sum.

Unemployment was low before the tax cuts, there is no data to suggest there was more hiring because of the tax cuts.

The thing you miss is that corporations in the US were making record setting profits before the tax cuts, they could have done all those things anyhow.

Right but budgets are set and when you exceed budget you have the option to reward the employees. $1k is not awful. That’s like 3 car payments for many.

I haven't been on a vacation in over 30 years, but I still use my vacation time. But for the people that do travel for vacation, they spend quite a bit doing so.

Makes me sad to see that, but as long as you are happy. Vacations can be expense, that is for sure. Last year we rented a house on the beach close to were my daughter lives. It was not cheap, but we planned for it and set aside extra money for more than a year so that there would be no debt added.

I cannot image how people did such things before the internet, I guess that is what travel agents were for.

I know people that spend a week in Vegas, Mexico, Europe, and various other places that are quite expensive. To be totally honest, I'm nearly 60 years old and never seen an ocean in my life outside of television or an airplane window.

Wow, hard for me to imagine. I moved to a foreign country when I was in the 3rd grade due to my father's job. By the time we moved back 4.5 years later I had been to a dozen countries. I think that is part of why I joined the Marines, I needed to move around. The 10 years I have been in this town is the longest I have been any one place in my whole life.
When I was growing up until a teen when I had my own money, McDonald's and like was a rare treat. Today many people eat out three or more times a week. Today's video game systems are close to a thousand dollars, and that's not including the games you need to buy to play them.

This is very true, eating out even at fast food was a big deal back in the day.

So the question is do we have less money today, or are we spending the money we have on unnecessary things?

I think the answer is both.
If some relaxing things get to expensive there are other options. People need to add the costs of say going to a game over staying at a motel at a resort that gives you multiple days. And maybe the resort is something that is to expensive close to where you live so you travel/drive a bit. Some things have become over saturated and way over expensive for the value of the dollar.

He is trying! :21::21::21::21::21::21:

How did they do that?

Raises and bonuses as corporations made more and invested in CAPEX. Low unemployment also means workers who change jobs get a nice boost in salary and bonus. I see it firsthand here in Boston.

Not to downplay such things, but a $1000 dollar one time bonus does not really do much for most middle class families, especially since most companies paid it out over a period of time and did not give them the lump sum.

Unemployment was low before the tax cuts, there is no data to suggest there was more hiring because of the tax cuts.

The thing you miss is that corporations in the US were making record setting profits before the tax cuts, they could have done all those things anyhow.

Right but budgets are set and when you exceed budget you have the option to reward the employees. $1k is not awful. That’s like 3 car payments for many.

As I said, corporations in the US were making record setting profits before the tax cuts...thus they were exceeding their budgets.

I haven't been on a vacation in over 30 years, but I still use my vacation time. But for the people that do travel for vacation, they spend quite a bit doing so.

Makes me sad to see that, but as long as you are happy. Vacations can be expense, that is for sure. Last year we rented a house on the beach close to were my daughter lives. It was not cheap, but we planned for it and set aside extra money for more than a year so that there would be no debt added.

I cannot image how people did such things before the internet, I guess that is what travel agents were for.

I know people that spend a week in Vegas, Mexico, Europe, and various other places that are quite expensive. To be totally honest, I'm nearly 60 years old and never seen an ocean in my life outside of television or an airplane window.

Wow, hard for me to imagine. I moved to a foreign country when I was in the 3rd grade due to my father's job. By the time we moved back 4.5 years later I had been to a dozen countries. I think that is part of why I joined the Marines, I needed to move around. The 10 years I have been in this town is the longest I have been any one place in my whole life.
When I was growing up until a teen when I had my own money, McDonald's and like was a rare treat. Today many people eat out three or more times a week. Today's video game systems are close to a thousand dollars, and that's not including the games you need to buy to play them.

This is very true, eating out even at fast food was a big deal back in the day.

So the question is do we have less money today, or are we spending the money we have on unnecessary things?

I think the answer is both.
If some relaxing things get to expensive there are other options. People need to add the costs of say going to a game over staying at a motel at a resort that gives you multiple days. And maybe the resort is something that is to expensive close to where you live so you travel/drive a bit. Some things have become over saturated and way over expensive for the value of the dollar.

I agree, 100%. Yet Americans leave unused vacation time on the books every year, and the number is growing. Just dumb in my opinion.

'A national problem': U.S. housing affordability is out of whack with minimum wage

Obviously this should bother republican voters, but they have this fantasy mindset that Trump will turn this country into some kind of utopia despite the fact that he had two years to do so with a republican Congress. Their only response when presented with this is the usual pathetic deflection of “well Obama didn’t do it! Derp, derp, derp!”

Now granted Obama achieved little in improving the lives of the middle class and poor besides a few policies. These policies include 1) helping to reverse the Great Recession he inherited from Bush 6 months into his presidency and producing job growth EVER SINCE. 2) Expanding OT pay eligibility for thousands of US workers 3) guaranteeing people receive healthcare from pre-existing conditions, 4) passing the biggest middle class tax cut since Reagan

He also TRIED to invest education and raise the minimum wage but was blocked by republicans.

The point I am making is that republicans do fucking NOTHING to help the poor and middle class but democrats at least make an attempt despite failing on a significant scale. This nuance matters whether you like it or not.

Hmm . . . so you're telling us that all those hundreds and thousands of single family homes we pass each day on the way to work or out for date night or whatever are all abandoned because no one in your dystopian wet dream of America under Donald Trump can afford to live in them, much less take out mortgages to buy them? I'm just guessing here so help me out . . . all the newish automobiles parked in the driveways of all those "abandoned" homes must also be abandoned? Oh, and someone, just for the hell of it must be mowing all the lawns of those unaffordable homes. Quack! Quack! You wouldn't know a fact if it were a heart attack.

How did they do that?

As I said, corporations in the US were making record setting profits before the tax cuts...thus they were exceeding their budgets.

Not if the budget called for the record profit? If my budget calls for $100 in profit and last year I hit $95, which was a record and this year I achieve $115 because of the tax cuts then I can take $7 of the $15 extra and give it to my employees and that is what happened.

I am against an artificial minimum wage, especially on a Fed level. Since less than 3% of the populations works for minimum wage, I am not sure what you think business owners would do with it
They would take advantage of the people desperate for work and offer them $5 per hour. And they wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it, either.

We've not changed a bit since Dickens' day.

Don't work for minimum wage... problem solved.
Well gee, that’s a brilliant solution. Okay so let’s pretend everyone did that despite such a thing being mathematically impossible. Who would be left behind to work those minimum wage jobs? I mean we are also talking about service jobs that pay more than minimum wage but still very much south of a live able wage.

Minimum wage jobs are for high school and college kids and folks just starting out in the workforce. That's what they've always been intended as. No one in their right, self-respecting mind takes on a minimum wage job expecting it to pay for their lives' long game or provide for their families. Wanna know how you make a living wage? Easy. You develop your skills, work a shit job sometimes for a while until you move up into management or a higher grade, go to community college and get certifications in your field, or look for better work while working or relocate to where your "dream" job is located. What you don't fucking do is sit on your ass in a job you know is dead-end, hoping for the government "living wage" fairy to drop a higher wage on your head. Apathy will get you broke faster than investing in Acme's line of products to catch the Roadrunner. Meep! Meep!

How did they do that?

Not if the budget called for the record profit? If my budget calls for $100 in profit and last year I hit $95, which was a record and this year I achieve $115 because of the tax cuts then I can take $7 of the $15 extra and give it to my employees and that is what happened.

:21::21::21:

Nobody budgets for record profits.

They would take advantage of the people desperate for work and offer them $5 per hour. And they wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it, either.

So in your world the onus is on the corporation to pay a higher wage rather than it being a worker's responsibility to improve his own ability to earn a higher wage? I guess your heart must bleed for those drowning in apathy, ennui and lowered expectations.

FACTS... where are yours? NOT one source substantiating your dumb ass UNINFORMED comments!

Among those paid by the hour, 542,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 1.3 million had wages below the federal minimum.
Together, these 1.8 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 2.3 percent of all hourly paid workers.
Although workers under age 25 represented only about one-fifth of hourly paid workers, they made up about half of those paid the federal minimum wage or less. Among employed teenagers (ages 16 to 19) paid by the hour, about 8 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with about 1 percent of workers age 25 and older.
Marital status. Of those paid an hourly wage, never-married workers, who tend to be young, were more likely
(4 percent) than married workers (1 percent) to earn the federal minimum wage or less. (See table 8.)

Full- and part-time status. About 6 percent of part-time workers (persons who usually work fewer than 35 hours per week) were paid the federal minimum wage or less, compared with about 1 percent of full-time workers. (See table 1.)

Characteristics of minimum wage workers, 2017 : BLS Reports: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

So less than 1.8 million worked part time, weren't married, and therefore didn't NEED a 2 bedroom apartment!

BUT idiots that support that stupid $15 Federal minimum wage... don't seem to comprehend the concept..
It makes no sense to force a $15.00 minimum wage for Mississippi where if these part-time jobs were paying
$15.00... that either forces the employer to raise prices or cut hours or use robots!

It's probably the factor less of income than it is what people spend their income on today.

How many of those people have cable or satellite television? How many of those people have smart phones with expensive plans? How many are driving cars older than five years of age? How many buy pay-per-view movies and how many a month? How many times do they dine out instead of eating at home a month?

Budgeting and personal responsibility are obviously important and can help alleviate this problem to a small degree, but the bigger is what is actually available on a large scale. How many jobs pay over 14 per hour? How competitive are these jobs? Those are the questions that matter on a large scale. Cutting down on entertainment cost per month, while helpful, isn’t going to fix one’s poverty. They still make shit. Also, can you blame them for spending money on entertainment in the first place? God forbid they have Netflix accounts! Oh the horror!

People today spend a lot more money on things we didn't years ago. We either didn't have them or didn't want to forego the costs.

So Mr X doesn't make enough money to afford an apartment. Should that be the responsibility of Mr X or Mr.X employer?

This reminds me of something that happened a couple of years ago. An old friend became ill and lost her job. She worked for the government so she did better than people who have to go on SS disability, but when she lost her house, she only had her mothers to go to which she really didn't want to do; they don't get along very well.

By chance, one of my tenants moved out and I offered her the apartment at a discount rate. She thought about if but declined because of the expense, plus she wanted someplace that didn't have stairs and had a garage.

She said she simply could not afford to get an apartment. Then she gave me a list of all her expenses. One of them was her car. She was paying over $600.00 a month for it. I told her it's not a wonder why she can't afford an apartment. Her car payment is close to what an apartment costs! I suggested she sell the car, get an later model and not have any car payments. She didn't even consider it.

She had that car for at least a year before she lost her job, and I can guarantee you that one of the reasons she got behind on the mortgage was because of that Fn car. After I found out about that, I regretted making the offer to her.

Like I said, people have Fd up priorities these days. Many can't do without their conveniences. So this woman moved in with her mother for two years, and dreaded every single day; all for her stupid car.

We have more open jobs than people to fill them.

It is expensive to train a new employee, any company that did that would just lose them on a regular basis and would not do well, especially in today's market. Not to mention, you get what you pay for.

People today spend a lot more money on things we didn't years ago. We either didn't have them or didn't want to forego the costs.

So Mr X doesn't make enough money to afford an apartment. Should that be the responsibility of Mr X or Mr.X employer?

This reminds me of something that happened a couple of years ago. An old friend became ill and lost her job. She worked for the government so she did better than people who have to go on SS disability, but when she lost her house, she only had her mothers to go to which she really didn't want to do; they don't get along very well.

By chance, one of my tenants moved out and I offered her the apartment at a discount rate. She thought about if but declined because of the expense, plus she wanted someplace that didn't have stairs and had a garage.

She said she simply could not afford to get an apartment. Then she gave me a list of all her expenses. One of them was her car. She was paying over $600.00 a month for it. I told her it's not a wonder why she can't afford an apartment. Her car payment is close to what an apartment costs! I suggested she sell the car, get an later model and not have any car payments. She didn't even consider it.

She had that car for at least a year before she lost her job, and I can guarantee you that one of the reasons she got behind on the mortgage was because of that Fn car. After I found out about that, I regretted making the offer to her.

Like I said, people have Fd up priorities these days. Many can't do without their conveniences. So this woman moved in with her mother for two years, and dreaded every single day; all for her stupid car.

I am surprised the Govt let her go

You are criticizing businesses for doing the exact same thing that you do.

If you need a major plumbing job and get three estimates, do you choose the most expensive one in concern about the plumbers family? How about when you get several estimates for somebody to rebuild your transmission? Are you paying the highest price possible for your lawn care service so those workers are paid well?

We all look for the cheapest price when it comes to labor, and industry is no different. Correct, if they can get competent good workers for five bucks an hour, that's exactly what they'll do. But today, most places that used to pay minimum wage offer much more because of the shortage of workers.

Prog-thought: Give us more taxes, entitlements, immigrants, free healthcare and $15 an hour. While you're at it give us a home we can afford........................Dumb, just dumb.

Forum List

Back