In only 10% of counties in the US can a worker afford a 2 bedroom apartment working 40 hours a week

'A national problem': U.S. housing affordability is out of whack with minimum wage

Obviously this should bother republican voters, but they have this fantasy mindset that Trump will turn this country into some kind of utopia despite the fact that he had two years to do so with a republican Congress. Their only response when presented with this is the usual pathetic deflection of “well Obama didn’t do it! Derp, derp, derp!”

Now granted Obama achieved little in improving the lives of the middle class and poor besides a few policies. These policies include 1) helping to reverse the Great Recession he inherited from Bush 6 months into his presidency and producing job growth EVER SINCE. 2) Expanding OT pay eligibility for thousands of US workers 3) guaranteeing people receive healthcare from pre-existing conditions, 4) passing the biggest middle class tax cut since Reagan

He also TRIED to invest education and raise the minimum wage but was blocked by republicans.

The point I am making is that republicans do fucking NOTHING to help the poor and middle class but democrats at least make an attempt despite failing on a significant scale. This nuance matters whether you like it or not.
That’s what happens when democrats refuse to invest in middle class jobs in inner cities.. and try to shut down production in the name or climate change

Or when the Republicans block the creation of clean jobs for those same inner cities because it doesn't line up with their political agenda. I'll say it again. One of the responsibilities of our Government is to get those friggin jobs into those areas. If it takes regulations (like it was before Reagan) then that is what we need to do. Retroact those regulations. If it takes Tariffs to force those jobs back to our shores then do it. If it takes enforcing the Rico and Sherman Acts then do it. We used to do those things and our economies were never better. If a Corporation can't act like it's good for the nation, force it to act like it's good for the nation. If it can't be good for the nation maybe it shouldn't be part of the nation. There is more about Nationalism than what the so called "Nationalists" believe today.
Clean jobs mean you are over regulating who can open businesses, which mean only rich people,, so small business can’t flourish, small capital can’t get a chance. And millions struggle..
we don’t need clean anything work is dirty, production pollutes, we want to be dirty we want opportunity,, take your regulations and move to Europe.

I retired from one of those Clean Jobs. Not I still do it except I help people for free. I still do a few electric vehicles when someone is doing a home build. You don't have to be a big Corporation to do that. Small Business is quite capable these days. And there are a lot of small business electric vehicles out on the road that are not counted in any of the counts you hear about. So don't give me this crap about regulating hurting or stopping the small business. It doesn't affect the small business a whole hell of a lot. Never has.
You obviously don’t understand America,, when America was at its greatest nyc and Boston were dirty! Because it was less regulated people could work, job to job, rent was low because it was all similar people who assimilated, they were entrepreneurs , they could do many trades UNREGULATED... today we sit in these cities committing crimes because we have nothing else to do. No opportunity

And during the hayday times you mention, there were jobs, lots of jobs. Manufacturing jobs which were supported by other support jobs. When the manufacturing jobs left, the population didn't leaving unemployment. What moved in to replace the jobs that left? Crime. You want the crime gone, get the jobs back in. The Dirty Manufacturing jobs will never return but you can replace them with new clean jobs and utilize the population that is already there. Put more people to work, less crime. Put more people out of work,more crime.

The reason NYC was dirty was because of the burning of coal for power and the horse shit. Electricity and the Auto got rid of the Horseshit and it got cleaner. Today, there is a chance to clean it up even further by getting rid of the gasoline powered autos and trucks. What's wrong with that? You afraid that Darwanism will replace you? Not such a bad idea.

That’s what happens when democrats refuse to invest in middle class jobs in inner cities.. and try to shut down production in the name or climate change

Or when the Republicans block the creation of clean jobs for those same inner cities because it doesn't line up with their political agenda. I'll say it again. One of the responsibilities of our Government is to get those friggin jobs into those areas. If it takes regulations (like it was before Reagan) then that is what we need to do. Retroact those regulations. If it takes Tariffs to force those jobs back to our shores then do it. If it takes enforcing the Rico and Sherman Acts then do it. We used to do those things and our economies were never better. If a Corporation can't act like it's good for the nation, force it to act like it's good for the nation. If it can't be good for the nation maybe it shouldn't be part of the nation. There is more about Nationalism than what the so called "Nationalists" believe today.
Clean jobs mean you are over regulating who can open businesses, which mean only rich people,, so small business can’t flourish, small capital can’t get a chance. And millions struggle..
we don’t need clean anything work is dirty, production pollutes, we want to be dirty we want opportunity,, take your regulations and move to Europe.

I retired from one of those Clean Jobs. Not I still do it except I help people for free. I still do a few electric vehicles when someone is doing a home build. You don't have to be a big Corporation to do that. Small Business is quite capable these days. And there are a lot of small business electric vehicles out on the road that are not counted in any of the counts you hear about. So don't give me this crap about regulating hurting or stopping the small business. It doesn't affect the small business a whole hell of a lot. Never has.
You obviously don’t understand America,, when America was at its greatest nyc and Boston were dirty! Because it was less regulated people could work, job to job, rent was low because it was all similar people who assimilated, they were entrepreneurs , they could do many trades UNREGULATED... today we sit in these cities committing crimes because we have nothing else to do. No opportunity

And during the hayday times you mention, there were jobs, lots of jobs. Manufacturing jobs which were supported by other support jobs. When the manufacturing jobs left, the population didn't leaving unemployment. What moved in to replace the jobs that left? Crime. You want the crime gone, get the jobs back in. The Dirty Manufacturing jobs will never return but you can replace them with new clean jobs and utilize the population that is already there. Put more people to work, less crime. Put more people out of work,more crime.

The reason NYC was dirty was because of the burning of coal for power and the horse shit. Electricity and the Auto got rid of the Horseshit and it got cleaner. Today, there is a chance to clean it up even further by getting rid of the gasoline powered autos and trucks. What's wrong with that? You afraid that Darwanism will replace you? Not such a bad idea.
Sorry they only way we return prosperity to ordinary Americans his to get did of the regulations, and we are moving that way, Republicans are dominating elections since 2008..
as soon as urban areas wake up to the Democrat oppression you will be smelling smog again. And I Will be smiling in your face as I watch common people work again.

Sorry they only way we return prosperity to ordinary Americans his to get did of the regulations, and we are moving that way, Republicans are dominating elections since 2008..
as soon as urban areas wake up to the Democrat oppression you will be smelling smog again. And I Will be smiling in your face as I watch common people work again.

You really want to live in a completely unchecked Capitalistic World? It won't last a month.

You really want to live in a completely unchecked Capitalistic World? It won't last a month.
Lol you want to check people lol you are in the wrong country.. go to Europe .. trump 2020 and beyond

He fully supports Trump’s tariffs, so that is a resounding no

Hey moron! George Bush was President from 2001-2009! Those changes were made during the CLINTON administration!
A moron is the person who does not realize that there was two Bush presidents. One was a father of the other. The Savings and Loan crisis was in the 1980's.

How is it that you are so stupid? You really are an addict, are you not? Just being dumb does not explain your hate filled rage that results in attacks where you have zero understanding of what is being discussed.

The thing about the S&l issue is at least some people did go to prison over that. That none did with the 2008 mess was a total failure.

'A national problem': U.S. housing affordability is out of whack with minimum wage

Obviously this should bother republican voters, but they have this fantasy mindset that Trump will turn this country into some kind of utopia despite the fact that he had two years to do so with a republican Congress. Their only response when presented with this is the usual pathetic deflection of “well Obama didn’t do it! Derp, derp, derp!”

Now granted Obama achieved little in improving the lives of the middle class and poor besides a few policies. These policies include 1) helping to reverse the Great Recession he inherited from Bush 6 months into his presidency and producing job growth EVER SINCE. 2) Expanding OT pay eligibility for thousands of US workers 3) guaranteeing people receive healthcare from pre-existing conditions, 4) passing the biggest middle class tax cut since Reagan

He also TRIED to invest education and raise the minimum wage but was blocked by republicans.

The point I am making is that republicans do fucking NOTHING to help the poor and middle class but democrats at least make an attempt despite failing on a significant scale. This nuance matters whether you like it or not.

Back in the old days you worked one job and took overtime or worked an extra one while going too night school so you could move up the company ladder and also save to put down in your own home...

I know why work when you can demand others pay for what you want, am I right?

Only a small number can "move up". This works for a minority of people. We are talking tens of millions.

One did not have to move up or take OT to make a good living once you got your no previous experience factory job.

No, that day has not yet arrived, as much as your overactive imagination would like.

Get a roommate. That’s what young people do since they have no money.

I used to rent a studio room in a garage and worked part-time while going to college.

20 years later I own a baller house and several cars. All on my own, without any welfare. That’s the story of most Americans, at least those that get off their asses and work.
See the simple concept you people keep failing to understand is that the OPPORTUNITY DOESNT EXIST FOR MOST OF THOSE PEOPLE. IT’S A MATTER OF NUMBERS. BACK IN YOUR DAY THERE WAS MORE OPPORTUNITY AND WAGES WERE KEPT UP ON THE RATE OF INFLATION.

Opportunity is still out there for people that can quit using dope and get a real job; people that are willing to work with their hands and do a little bust ass.

But it's not there if your only talent is sweeping a floor like years ago. But just because those jobs are gone doesn't mean there are none out there. You just have to re-tool and get into a field of work or get training to get one of those jobs.

I used to rent a studio room in a garage and worked part-time while going to college.

20 years later I own a baller house and several cars. All on my own, without any welfare. That’s the story of most Americans, at least those that get off their asses and work.
See the simple concept you people keep failing to understand is that the OPPORTUNITY DOESNT EXIST FOR MOST OF THOSE PEOPLE. IT’S A MATTER OF NUMBERS. BACK IN YOUR DAY THERE WAS MORE OPPORTUNITY AND WAGES WERE KEPT UP ON THE RATE OF INFLATION.

Opportunity is still out there for people that can quit using dope and get a real job; people that are willing to work with their hands and do a little bust ass.

But it's not there if your only talent is sweeping a floor like years ago. But just because those jobs are gone doesn't mean there are none out there. You just have to re-tool and get into a field of work or get training to get one of those jobs.
I’m not saying opportunities no longer exist. There is just much less of them and wages are way behind on the rate of inflation. As important as a can-do spirit is, it simply isn’t some cure-all solution to the economy. If every one had this spirit, many people would inevitably remain where they are because of how highly competitive the job market has become.

The jobs are back.

Seasonally Adjusted U-3 Unemployment Rate
According to the BLS, the current “Seasonally Adjusted” Unemployment Rate for July (released August 2nd) is 3.7% unchanged from June but up from 3.6% in May and down from 3.8% in February and March.

Looking back, Seasonally Adjusted U-3 started 2017 at 4.8%, then it stayed at 4.1% from October 2017 through March 2018, from there, it fell to 3.7% in September where it remained through November which at the time was the lowest since 1969. Then it began its seasonal rise to peak at 4.0% in January before falling to new lows. Seasonally Adjusted Unemployment is still near record lows.

Current U.S. Unemployment Rate Chart

I’m not saying opportunities no longer exist. There is just much less of them and wages are way behind on the rate of inflation. As important as a can-do spirit is, it simply isn’t some cure-all solution to the economy. If every one had this spirit, many people would inevitably remain where they are because of how highly competitive the job market has become.

It's not as competitive as you think. My industry alone needs over 60,000 workers we can't find. Now not all jobs are great paying; if you are just starting out, you need experience and a good driving record, but you can end up making close to six figures after two years time. Still can't find enough people.

My father is a retired bricklayer. Because he still collects his pension, the union sends their retirees their quarterly news letter. They were begging their retirees to find younger people to get into the trade. Granted, bricklaying is very hard work, but it also pays very well.

Years ago, you used to have to know somebody to get into the field or wait in a long line before they'd call you. It's not that they can't find people willing to work hard, but they can't find people who can work hard and pass a drug screen.

I believe many people are not getting good jobs because of the huge drug problem in this country. It's not the economy or lower paying jobs holding them back, it's themselves holding them back.

It's not as competitive as you think. My industry alone needs over 60,000 workers we can't find. Now not all jobs are great paying; if you are just starting out, you need experience and a good driving record, but you can end up making close to six figures after two years time. Still can't find enough people.

My father is a retired bricklayer. Because he still collects his pension, the union sends their retirees their quarterly news letter. They were begging their retirees to find younger people to get into the trade. Granted, bricklaying is very hard work, but it also pays very well.

Years ago, you used to have to know somebody to get into the field or wait in a long line before they'd call you. It's not that they can't find people willing to work hard, but they can't find people who can work hard and pass a drug screen.

I believe many people are not getting good jobs because of the huge drug problem in this country. It's not the economy or lower paying jobs holding them back, it's themselves holding them back.
Your anecdotal experience for the 100th time is not indicative of the actual reality on a national scale.

Your anecdotal experience for the 100th time is not indicative of the actual reality on a national scale.

It's not just my experience, it's happening in many other fields as well. I spend much of my day in industrial areas. They are all littered with HELP WANTED signs. Some of them are our customers and just out of curiosity, I ask what the pay rate is. In most instances, it's not too bad for non-skilled labor, and plenty of advancement opportunities. Hell, if I was younger, I might consider a career change these days.

From what I've seen, it's not that there are little opportunities, it's that people are not seeking them.

The owner of my company's son works with us. When we have dead time, there is a place we go to hang out. We talk all the time with each other. He told me he's totally embarrassed of his generation. Most of the guys he hung out with in school still live at home. They don't work or work part-time, and spend most of the day playing video games. If they do have a job, it's only for a few months.

What we have today is an entirely different mindset of younger people compared to when I was younger.

It's not just my experience, it's happening in many other fields as well. I spend much of my day in industrial areas. They are all littered with HELP WANTED signs. Some of them are our customers and just out of curiosity, I ask what the pay rate is. In most instances, it's not too bad for non-skilled labor, and plenty of advancement opportunities. Hell, if I was younger, I might consider a career change these days.

From what I've seen, it's not that there are little opportunities, it's that people are not seeking them.

The owner of my company's son works with us. When we have dead time, there is a place we go to hang out. We talk all the time with each other. He told me he's totally embarrassed of his generation. Most of the guys he hung out with in school still live at home. They don't work or work part-time, and spend most of the day playing video games. If they do have a job, it's only for a few months.

What we have today is an entirely different mindset of younger people compared to when I was younger.
I get that you people have this mindset that makes you feel more manly and superior to people nowadays, but it really just comes from a place of emotion. This is about sheer economics. Even despite millennials’ shitty economic situation, research has shown they donate to charity for than baby boomers. I don’t generalize baby boomers but my god I have met so many entitled, selfish brats in their 60’s and above.

I get that you people have this mindset that makes you feel more manly and superior to people nowadays, but it really just comes from a place of emotion. This is about sheer economics. Even despite millennials’ shitty economic situation, research has shown they donate to charity for than baby boomers. I don’t generalize baby boomers but my god I have met so many entitled, selfish brats in their 60’s and above.

If they worked their way up to great wealth, that's probably true. But who could blame them? Becoming wealthy isn't easy. Try it yourself sometime. It's a lot of hard work and most people fail at it.

As to your philanthropy study, I'm totally unaware of that. If you have it, post it.

I was talking with my boss about a year ago and we got into a similar discussion. He showed me an article in is small business magazine. After I read it my mouth dropped open. If I didn't know it was serious, I would have thought it was written by the Onion.

In the article it gave suggestions to business owners how to coddle their millennial workers. They suggested that if a worker is having problems, sit down with them. Offer them a couple of weeks off of work paid of course. Perhaps allow them to have an hour or so lunch instead of a half hour. Go to their house and see if there is anything you can do to help them out.

I bust out laughing. My employer said "WTF do they think I'm running here, a daycare center???"

A couple of years ago I had a construction delivery. It was insulation for a new building they were putting up. It was at Prudential insurance company. While they were unloading me, I noticed a track around the place going into a treed area and I asked one of the workers WTF that was?

He stated it was their stress track. Stress track??? WTF is a stress track?? He said that when any worker feels too stressed out, they are allowed to come here to the stress track and run it off. The company even allows them to have friends meet them here and perhaps bring some bikes.

I was totally floored. A Fn stress track. So I asked how many workers are that stressed out in the place? He said nearly all of them. LOL!

If they worked their way up to great wealth, that's probably true. But who could blame them? Becoming wealthy isn't easy. Try it yourself sometime. It's a lot of hard work and most people fail at it.

As to your philanthropy study, I'm totally unaware of that. If you have it, post it.

I was talking with my boss about a year ago and we got into a similar discussion. He showed me an article in is small business magazine. After I read it my mouth dropped open. If I didn't know it was serious, I would have thought it was written by the Onion.

In the article it gave suggestions to business owners how to coddle their millennial workers. They suggested that if a worker is having problems, sit down with them. Offer them a couple of weeks off of work paid of course. Perhaps allow them to have an hour or so lunch instead of a half hour. Go to their house and see if there is anything you can do to help them out.

I bust out laughing. My employer said "WTF do they think I'm running here, a daycare center???"

A couple of years ago I had a construction delivery. It was insulation for a new building they were putting up. It was at Prudential insurance company. While they were unloading me, I noticed a track around the place going into a treed area and I asked one of the workers WTF that was?

He stated it was their stress track. Stress track??? WTF is a stress track?? He said that when any worker feels too stressed out, they are allowed to come here to the stress track and run it off. The company even allows them to have friends meet them here and perhaps bring some bikes.

I was totally floored. A Fn stress track. So I asked how many workers are that stressed out in the place? He said nearly all of them. LOL!

Back in the day we just had vending machines with beer in them for after work.

Back in the day we just had vending machines with beer in them for after work.

Those days are long gone. We had a brewery here in Cleveland that served their beverages to employees at lunch. Today you seldom hear of a Christmas or office party. Too much liability when serving alcohol. The do-gooders took the fun out of everything in this country.

Last edited:

That article sounds like complete bullshit. I think most people would agree with you that is a stupid way to discipline any worker. Did you really expect me to be on board with such an idea?

That article sounds like complete bullshit. I think most people would agree with you that is a stupid way to discipline any worker. Did you really expect me to be on board with such an idea?

Merely pointing out the difference between today and back when. It might not be something you agree with, but certainly other people do.

The generation before mine held the stance that we were not nearly as tough as them. I believe they were absolutely correct. But I also believe that we were much tougher than the millennials and Gen-X today.

When I was in my early 20's, I did something really stupid. I quit my job because I was pissed off at the boss. This was during the Reagan recession, and I don't care what they say about Obama's recession, that recession was much worse.

Back then you couldn't even get a McDonald's job. Nobody was hiring. But instead of going on some social program or moving back home with my parents, I signed up with several temp agencies. The one agency (Manpower) sent me on a job for a week. When they got my review back, they were calling me for every new job that came up. It paid minimum wage, but it was better than having no roof over my head and nothing to eat. So I went to those jobs and busted my ass regardless of pay.

I simply don't see a younger person doing something like that today. If they get into trouble, move back home or sign up for every social program available and wait for better times, or perhaps do both.

Forum List

Back