In summary...

poison: a substance with an inherent property that tends to destroy life or impair health.
www.dictionary.com

Carbon dioxide (CO2) is a toxic gas at high concentration, as well as an asphyxiant gas (due to reduction in oxygen). Irritation of the eyes, nose and throat occurs only at high concentrations. The concentration thresholds for health effects are outlined in the table.
Exposure limits
(% in air) - - - - - -Health Effects
2-3 - - - - - Unnoticed at rest, but on exertion there may be marked shortness of breath
3 - - - - - Breathing becomes noticeably deeper and more frequent at rest
3-5 - - - - - Breathing rhythm accelerates. Repeated exposure provokes headaches
5 - - - - - Breathing becomes extremely laboured, headaches, sweating and bounding pulse
7.5 - - - - - Rapid breathing, increased heart rate, headaches, sweating, dizziness, shortness of breath, muscular weakness, loss of mental abilities, drowsiness, and ringing in the ears
8-15 - - - - Headache, vertigo, vomiting, loss of consciousness and possibly death if the patient is not immediately given oxygen
10 - - - - - Respiratory distress develops rapidly with loss of consciousness in 10-15 minutes
15 - - - - - Lethal concentration, exposure to levels above this are intolerable
25+ - - - - - Convulsions occur and rapid loss of consciousness ensues after a few breaths. Death will occur if level is maintained.

Carbon Dioxide (CO2)

Okay... time for your math lesson. Let's take the lowest figure in your scale for CO2 to have ANY sort of physical impact on humans... 2%. This translates to 20,000 ppm. At 400 ppm, I think we're safe. Even OSHA regulations allow human exposure to as much as 6,000 ppm.

Also, when we compare the amount of CO2 man produces through burning of fossil fuels with natural sources of CO2, we find that nature produces about 97% to man's 3%. Of course, in fairness, that 97% does include man's natural emissions from breathing as well as other mammals. We can also look at other much more toxic gases, such as methane and carbon monoxide... Again, we find that those far outweigh the relatively small amount of CO2 produced by man's burning of fossil fuels. Cattle alone produce about 1,000% more methane than man produces CO2 through industrialization, and methane is far more dangerous.

But you are really stretching it to consider CO2 toxic. Indeed, anything is toxic to humans in pure concentration, even oxygen.
Of course, if we kept up the exchange long enough, Boss, like any other 'Conservative' would resort to lying, or demonstrating his vast ignorance. Since we started burning fossil fuels, the CO2 in the atmosphere has gone from 280 ppm to over 400 ppm. The highest level we saw from natural sources in the last million years or more was 300 ppm in the Eemian. And that addition of 20 ppm at that time resulted in sea levels about 20 feet higher than today. The sea level for our descendants is going to be far higher than that. In fact, we have not seen GHG levels as high as they are today for over 4 million years. And the world was a far different place then than today. The rate at which we are changing the climate will not give either the natural biosphere a chance to adjust, nor the agriculture we all depend on.

Why would the earth look the same under naturally high CO2 as it does now under unnaturally high CO2 caused by fossil fuel use?

JC- why don't you present your explanation on how the solar energy enters the earth system, circulates, and leaves again?

Perhaps we are not as far apart as we seem.
My position is and has always been CO2 does not warm the planet. Water vapor holds heat, but it does not reheat the planet it holds temperatures steady. Nothing more, nothing less. Heat is also moved by the natural circulation of the planet, Gravity also plays a part at the upper atmosphere. My challenge still exists, post one experiment that shows CO2 warms anything. Five years now and still zip.

Those smart photons, only traveling upward, until the instrument is cooled enough that it is safe for them to travel downward.

It is what it is....you apparently believe that energy must be intelligent in order to obey the laws of thermodynamics....I think that the laws of physics tell us how energy behaves... Let me know when you get an actual measurement of back radiation at ambient temperature......without being fooled by the instrumentation.

I have a question for you, at the moment that the instrument is cooled below the magic temperature, why isn't it melted when every single molecule in the sky decides to emit at it at the exact same instant?

Because as we know, poor child, that only 1 in a billion molecules in the atmosphere actually emits any radiation at all....the overwhelmingly vast majority of energy movement in the atmosphere is moving by convection..

you apparently believe that energy must be intelligent in order to obey the laws of thermodynamics..

Your confused misunderstanding of thermodynamics requires photons with not only intelligence, but omniscience.

Because as we know, poor child, that only 1 in a billion molecules in the atmosphere actually emits any radiation at all....

Imagine the free energy source we could build!!!
Merely cool our "free energy receiver" below the temperature of the atmosphere and every billionth molecule in sight, not to mention every other warmer molecule across the galaxy, would be forced to emit a photon at the receiver. It would immediately see a spike in temperature which could be used to boil some liquid to drive a turbine. Cool it down quickly, another immediate spike in temperature would occur.
Much better than burning pesky fossil fuels.
Right?

JC- why don't you present your explanation on how the solar energy enters the earth system, circulates, and leaves again?

My position is and has always been CO2 does not warm the planet. Water vapor holds heat, but it does not reheat the planet it holds temperatures steady. Nothing more, nothing less. Heat is also moved by the natural circulation of the planet, Gravity also plays a part at the upper atmosphere. My challenge still exists, post one experiment that shows CO2 warms anything. Five years now and still zip.

Okay, CO2 does not warm the planet. I can agree with that, depending on the definition of the verb 'to 'warm'. Does CO2 warm the atmosphere by intercepting certain bands of IR that react specifically to CO2? Remember, that energy would directly escape to space if CO2 was not present. It enters at the surface but does not all come out at the TOA. Where did the energy go, if not to warm the atmosphere?

I'm not trying to trick you. I just want to know how you mentally deal with this conundrum.

Water vapour holds temperature steady. Really? It cools the ocean when it evaporates and releases latent energy when it condenses higher up in the atmosphere. Seems like that is the opposite of keeping things steady. Have I misunderstood you somehow?

Gravity plays a part in the upper atmosphere...

Could you expand on that? Why is it more important higher up than close to the surface?

Don't get me wrong, I think massive amounts of energy are stored by air being suspended in the gravity field.

Okay, CO2 does not warm the planet. I can agree with that, depending on the definition of the verb 'to 'warm'. Does CO2 warm the atmosphere by intercepting certain bands of IR that react specifically to CO2? Remember, that energy would directly escape to space if CO2 was not present. It enters at the surface but does not all come out at the TOA. Where did the energy go, if not to warm the atmosphere?

I'm not trying to trick you. I just want to know how you mentally deal with this conundrum.
Why aren't the plants absorbing CO2? Isn't CO2 absorbed by the oceans? Doesn't CO2 mix in the atmosphere? Is CO2 absorbed with IR, warmer than the surrounding temperature or at that temperature?

Why aren't the plants absorbing CO2? Isn't CO2 absorbed by the oceans? Doesn't CO2 mix in the atmosphere? Is CO2 absorbed with IR, warmer than the surrounding temperature or at that temperature?

jc - try to focus.

the surface is warmed by the Sun and re-radiates the energy as IR radiation. part of that IR radiation is in a band that is only absorbed by CO2 in the atmosphere. IF there was no CO2 then that energy would freely escape to space at the speed of light. are you following so far, or do you need an even simpler description?

the amount CO2 specific energy that enters the atmosphere at the surface is much greater than the amount of CO2 specific energy that leaves the top of the atmosphere. obviously that energy cannot just disappear. where did it go?

I have already explained where I think it goes. the CO2 molecule that gets excited by absorbing a photon then gives up that energy to the total pool of atmospheric energy via molecular collisions. because total energy is composed of both potential energy and kinetic energy, which are freely exchanged in collisions, the energy absorbed by CO2 will in part be converted to kinetic energy (also known as temperature).

where do you think the energy goes? the first law of thermodynamics says energy cannot be created or destroyed. so where does it go?

jc - try to focus.

the surface is warmed by the Sun and re-radiates the energy as IR radiation. part of that IR radiation is in a band that is only absorbed by CO2 in the atmosphere. IF there was no CO2 then that energy would freely escape to space at the speed of light. are you following so far, or do you need an even simpler description?

the amount CO2 specific energy that enters the atmosphere at the surface is much greater than the amount of CO2 specific energy that leaves the top of the atmosphere. obviously that energy cannot just disappear. where did it go?

I have already explained where I think it goes. the CO2 molecule that gets excited by absorbing a photon then gives up that energy to the total pool of atmospheric energy via molecular collisions. because total energy is composed of both potential energy and kinetic energy, which are freely exchanged in collisions, the energy absorbed by CO2 will in part be converted to kinetic energy (also known as temperature).

where do you think the energy goes? the first law of thermodynamics says energy cannot be created or destroyed. so where does it go?
CO2 does not increase temperatures. dude it is the test I've been asking you for. So you still can't prove it. BTW, water vapor and clouds keep heat from escaping. CO2 is plant food. That's it. I'll take the experiment that shows it transmitting added heat to the temperature of the earth any day. post it up.

jc - try to focus.

CO2 does not increase temperatures. dude it is the test I've been asking you for. So you still can't prove it. BTW, water vapor and clouds keep heat from escaping. CO2 is plant food. That's it. I'll take the experiment that shows it transmitting added heat to the temperature of the earth any day. post it up.

CO2 does not increase temperatures

Right, because it absorbs IR and never releases it.
Until the CO2 escapes the atmosphere, right?

BTW, water vapor and clouds keep heat from escaping.

Does the water vapor keep the heat forever?
Or is it allowed to emit IR?

jc - try to focus.

why wouldn't a plant absorb the CO2, like I said plant food.

Water vapor evaporates.

Hey Todd, just post up the emitted photon from a CO2 molecule toward earth.

jc - try to focus.

Water vapor evaporates.

Plants LOVE to absorb CO2. But we're talking about heat right now.

Water vapor evaporates.

Nope. It already did.

jc - try to focus.

Water vapor evaporates.

Water vapor evaporates.

Nope. It already did.
what heat?

jc - try to focus.

Water vapor evaporates.

Water vapor evaporates.

Nope. It already did.
what heat?

The heat you mentioned here ->>>>>BTW, water vapor and clouds keep heat from escaping.

Water vapor evaporates.

Water vapor evaporates.

Nope. It already did.
what heat?

The heat you mentioned here ->>>>>BTW, water vapor and clouds keep heat from escaping.
well clouds release water and that does help the plant grow. but I was asking what heat from CO2 that you mentioned.

Water vapor evaporates.

Water vapor evaporates.

Nope. It already did.
what heat?

well clouds release water and that does help the plant grow. but I was asking what heat from CO2 that you mentioned.

well clouds release water and that does help the plant grow.

That is awesome! But we're talking about heat here.

but I was asking what heat from CO2 that you mentioned

It comes from the same place as the heat kept from escaping by water vapor.

Water vapor evaporates.

Water vapor evaporates.

Nope. It already did.
what heat?

well clouds release water and that does help the plant grow.

That is awesome! But we're talking about heat here.

but I was asking what heat from CO2 that you mentioned

It comes from the same place as the heat kept from escaping by water vapor.
heat is all over the world, works best when the suns rays are in your region. Add CO2 and water and damn, plants love to grow. You haven't answered what heat from CO2.

Forum List

Back