Inequality For All -Robert Riech - Rick Santorum

Procrustes Stretched

"intuition and imagination and intelligence"
Dec 1, 2008
Inequality For All -Robert Riech - Rick Santorum

Interesting stuff. Riech is the guy who resigned from President Clinton's cabinet and criticized everyone for turning their backs on progressive social policies. Riech is a progressive.

Riech's position on wildly profitable companies like Wallmart is that they have us all subsidizing their employees when those employees need Food Stamps and other government assistance (using Wallmart as an example).

Riech comes from the left and often strikes a moderate tone. But he is worth listening too. I was hostile to his candidacy for Governor of Massachusetts years ago because of his supporters (Deaniacs who later helped Obama) whom I feared would take over the levers of the Dem party and MA government. I like Riech and I like Obama.

Riech talks about the left blaming the rich, the right blaming the poor while ignoring structural problems in oir economy, but also in our democracy.

I like what Riech is saying about citizens and voters ceding our government to ppwerful financial interests. I havee always said "money does not vote" and that is true. When the average citizen cedes activity in social and political affairs to financial interests we all lose.

Economist Robert Reich found himself slightly agreeing with former Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum in an interview with Bill Moyers, arguing that while he doesn’t support “equality of results,” the problem with the U.S. financial system is a lack of equality when it comes to opportunity. Robert Reich asks Bill Moyers: ?When do you reach a point where inequality is simply too much?? | The Raw Story

More and more are fighting back. According to Robert Reich, Bill Clinton’s secretary of labor: “The core principle is that we want an economy that works for everyone, not just for a small elite. We want equal opportunity, not equality of outcome. We want to make sure that there’s upward mobility again, in our society and in our economy.” Video: Robert Reich on 'Inequality for All'

“The question is not inequality, per se,” Reich told Moyers on Friday. “The question is, at what point do you tip over, do you get to a tipping point where the degree of inequality actually is threatening your economy, your society, your democracy? When do you reach a point where inequality is simply too much? Where most of your people feel like the game is rigged.” http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/...-a-point-where-inequality-is-simply-too-much/

Last edited:
Companies who employ low skilled or unskilled people would do themselves and the rest of us a favor if they had an up or out policy. Some people advance in these companies to the high levels. Some employees think that the stock room is a career opportunity. Give an employee two years. If they show no interest in advancing, get rid of them and get someone else. That way employees aren't trying to support families on an entry level wage as a lifetime career.

Companies who employ low skilled or unskilled people would do themselves and the rest of us a favor if they had an up or out policy. Some people advance in these companies to the high levels. Some employees think that the stock room is a career opportunity. Give an employee two years. If they show no interest in advancing, get rid of them and get someone else. That way employees aren't trying to support families on an entry level wage as a lifetime career.

If only things could be so simple in the real world. Look at what Obamacare has some companies deciding

Forum List

Back