Interesting Polling Numbers From Ohio

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
While President Obama's approval rating has dropped from 39% to 36% in Ohio, there are a couple of other polling numbers that should be a concern for Republicans. Approval ratings for Ohio's two senators are just the opposite of what one would expect based on Obama's poor numbers. Sherrod Brown has an approval rating of 49% while Rob Portman only has an approval rating of 40%.

Poll: President Obama's approval still low in Ohio : News : NBC24.com

What is truly odd about this is that Sherrod Brown is an unabashed Liberal. He is definitely much further to the left than Obama. The question is whether this is an indication of where Ohioans stand politically or if it is really just a matter of likability. Not trying to draw any conclusions here; just throwing it out there for discussion.

Last edited:

I'd love to know about the motivations of voters who are not partisans. How much is their vote dependent on things like looks, speaking skills, coolness factor, which celebrity endorses them, etc. -- as compared to their party affiliation, stand on issues and attachment to a popular or unpopular President or governor.

The psychology of politics is freakin' fascinating to me.

You have to look at where their supporters are.. Cleveland and Cincinnati. their numbers drop drastically when it reaches the more rural areas.

Ohio is a weird state. They elected and reelected Howard Metzenbaum who was very far left, all the while simultaneously voting reliably for Reagan. How do you square that exactly?

You have to look at where their supporters are.. Cleveland and Cincinnati. their numbers drop drastically when it reaches the more rural areas.

Cincinnati is a pretty Republican area. In fact, the city has a Republican Congressman. It's northern Ohio where a lot of the Democrats hold their power.

While President Obama's approval rating has dropped from 39% to 36% in Ohio, there are a couple of other polling numbers that should be a concern for Republicans. Approval ratings for Ohio's two senators are just the opposite of what one would expect based on Obama's poor numbers. Sherrod Brown has an approval rating of 49% while Rob Portman only has an approval rating of 40%.

What is truly odd about this is that Sherrod Brown is an unabashed Liberal. He is definitely much further to the left than Obama. The question is whether this is an indication of where Ohioans stand politically of if it is really just a matter of likability. Not trying to draw any conclusions here; just throwing it out there for discussion.

how many gaffs do these people make daily?

obama can not cover himself from all his screw ups, the truth gets out.

Portman is a rep and falls under the lies of them hating non-white men, so he gets tainted.

Last edited:

What is truly odd about this is that Sherrod Brown is an unabashed Liberal. He is definitely much further to the left than Obama. The question is whether this is an indication of where Ohioans stand politically or if it is really just a matter of likability. Not trying to draw any conclusions here; just throwing it out there for discussion.

Not the cause for alarm that you're making it out to be.

What's up is that the Ohio voters don't have time to pay attention to Brown's rising poll numbers, because they're all working three to four jobs apiece just to help pay the bills in your boy Obama's incessantly skyrocketingly inflationary America. :badgrin:

Still a bit early to get too excited but what is a good sign to me, from the standpoint of a liberal like myself, is that the story is an AP story reported by a Toledo station. I was thinking that if it were a Cleveland station...oh well. JFK would get more votes in Cleveland than the GOP nominee in 2016.

Still a bit early to get too excited but what is a good sign to me, from the standpoint of a liberal like myself, is that the story is an AP story reported by a Toledo station. I was thinking that if it were a Cleveland station...oh well. JFK would get more votes in Cleveland than the GOP nominee in 2016.

Ohio can be confusing at times when it comes to politics. Kasich is up between 6 to 12 points, but half the state has never heard of Fitzgerald, his opponent. Fitzgerald just recently ran his first tv ad. The unemployment rate is dropping here, so that probably plays well into Kasich's hand. I still haven't decided whom I'm going to vote for, although at this point it would probably be Kasich. I give him credit for bypassing the legislature in opting in on the expanded Medicaid through the ACA for the state.

Portman is very establishment oriented.

I suspect that a lot of that is blowback from the Mississippi Republican Primary.

Sen. Rob Portman has landed in the tea party's crosshairs over his decision to back a Republican establishment candidate, over a more conservative challenger, in Mississippi's nationally watched GOP primary.

The hubbub involves shadowy outside groups, charges of racism, and the GOP's ideological rift.

And it could have electoral consequences for Portman, who is up for re-election in 2016 - and whose name has surfaced recently as a possible presidential or vice presidential contender as well.

Portman role in Mississippi race sparks tea party outrage

And yet the Establishment GOP choose Cleveland to host their convention. :cuckoo:

I think people are just sick of politicians of both stripes right now.

And they should be.

Sherrod Brown is a much more likable senator overall. Portman is a corporatist hack whose interests lay with big business.

I think people are just sick of politicians of both stripes right now.

And they should be.

But they'll still vote for them.

Forum List

Back