Invading Taiwan easier said than done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle7-31

Diamond Member
Mar 24, 2020

Mass murderer Mao passed on it for several reasons.

Mass murderer Mao passed on it for several reasons.
  • rom 1954 to the end of Mao’s regime in 1976, his troops annually attacked KMT garrisons on Kinmen Island, including the largest assault on Kinmen in 1958. Despite shelling the island with a massive artillery barrage for 44 consecutive days, KMT held strong. This discouraged Mao from attacking the main island.
  • The KMT had built a powerful counterespionage and surveillance system for Taiwan. PLA generals repeatedly failed to get nationalist officers to betray Taiwan. The KMT routinely intercepted communications, including psychological warfare leaflets encouraging defections.
  • Mao could have obtained nuclear weapons from Khrushchev, but that would have risked an American nuclear attack on China because, in 1954, America signed the Mutual Defense Pact with Taiwan.
  • On the mainland, the Anti-Rightist Campaign (1957-1959) triggered wide social unrest; the Great Famine (1958-1962) crippled China’s economy; and the Cultural Revolution (1966-1976) demoralized the country. Mao had few resources left to fight a big war.
  • Mao couldn’t trust his own military. In 1971, General Lin Biao (officially designated as Mao’s successor,) attempted a coup against him.
Meanwhile, in Taiwan, Chiang Kai-shek focused on social reforms and economic prosperity for Taiwan. He won five elections to six-year terms as President of the Republic of China and head of the Kuomintang, offices he held until his death in 1975. Given Mao’s decades of failure when it came to Taiwan, Xi Jinping is likely to think very carefully before he attempts an attack against the island nation with so many crucial global connections.

I'm not so sure it is easier said than done. :dunno:

The China of today is not the China of Mao.

Things are not looking good, that much I can tell you.

I'm not so sure it is easier said than done. :dunno:

The China of today is not the China of Mao.

Things are not looking good, that much I can tell you.
True enough, but any invasion I believe would cost the CCP dearly, so they still may pass on it. Of course Thief in Chief Biden could give the CCP an engraved invitation to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back