IRS: How Many Investigations??

Not that I have much comment on the "obama scandals," because I don't think they are scandals so much as a typical RW foot stomp over once again being electorally dismissed as irrelevent old men more interested in not paying taxes and sex than in actually governiing, but ....

Iran Contra was a scandal, but it was not the usual tawdry tale of bribery or power grabbing, or the generally irrelvant and mean spirited attack on sexual deviations. Rather, it went to a very fundamental conflict in American const law. Does the Exec of Legis branch determine the foriegn policy of the US. The dems didn't like Reagan's anti-communism. Kilpatrick, his UN ambassador, clearly said the US should fund despots who preyed on their own people, to oppose communism. Rightly or wrongly, the dem majority passed a law saying we could not do this. Reagan's admin, rightly or wrongly, evaded the law.

The charges are specific.

Some were charged with breaking the law passed by Congress, i.e., " The amendment outlawed U.S. assistance to the Contras for the purpose of overthrowing the Nicaraguan government, while allowing assistance for other purposes."
Boland Amendment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There were only two found guilty of the above. The convictions were overturned.
Thus....there were no individuals found guilty in Iran-Contra.

Do you disagree?

Of course I do.

Well, I can't force you to be right.

1. " Poindexter, North, and two arms dealers Richard Secord and Albert Hakim were charged with “conspiring to defraud the U.S. by establishing and concealing a plan for illegally supporting the Nicaraguan contras.” Poindexter and North were accused of “trying to cover up their illicit actions by destroying and removing documents and making false statements.” Bibliography -

a. This is the key part: " establishing and concealing a plan for illegally supporting the Nicaraguan contras.”

The others were charged to put pressure on them to become witnesses.

As I pointed out, the other charges were not related to the plan stated above, which was an infraction of the Boland amendment.

2. Richard V. Secord, Retired (born 1932 in LaRue, Ohio), is a United States Air Force officer convicted for his involvement with the Iran-Contra scandal. He was exonerated after a 1990 Supreme Court case found the statute used to be illegal. Richard Secord - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Hakim was charged with five felonies which were dismissed and subsequently pled guilty in a plea bargain to a misdemeanor, and was sentenced to probation and a fine of $5000 Albert Hakim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So.....no one was convicted of Iran-Contra crimes.

No one.

Perjury is a material lie under oath. Do you know what the word 'material' means in that context,

and more importantly, why it proves you're an idiot?

EXACTLY what?

"....admitting to ignorance..."?

The public supported Reagan during the event you reference.

Nor was anyone found guilty.

"That whole public opinion court reference got me thinking about Iran Contra."

Think again.

There were several convictions, dimwit.

Didn't I smack you around enough today???

You need more?

Intellectual masochism. They need to be slapped around to feel good about themselves.

Of course I do.

1. " Poindexter, North, and two arms dealers Richard Secord and Albert Hakim were charged with “conspiring to defraud the U.S. by establishing and concealing a plan for illegally supporting the Nicaraguan contras.” Poindexter and North were accused of “trying to cover up their illicit actions by destroying and removing documents and making false statements.” Bibliography -

a. This is the key part: " establishing and concealing a plan for illegally supporting the Nicaraguan contras.”

As I pointed out, the other charges were not related to the plan stated above, which was an infraction of the Boland amendment.

2. Richard V. Secord, Retired (born 1932 in LaRue, Ohio), is a United States Air Force officer convicted for his involvement with the Iran-Contra scandal. He was exonerated after a 1990 Supreme Court case found the statute used to be illegal. Richard Secord - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Hakim was charged with five felonies which were dismissed and subsequently pled guilty in a plea bargain to a misdemeanor, and was sentenced to probation and a fine of $5000 Albert Hakim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No one.

Perjury is a material lie under oath. Do you know what the word 'material' means in that context,

Oooooo.....look who's getting upset!

Calm down.....it's just one more in a long line of your defeats.

OK...I am enjoying your distress. Naughty?

You don't mind if I await the other two individuals......

....it's probably more efficacious if I deal with folks who can incorporate the facts into their arguments.

Of course I do.

No one.

Material, meaning substantive or pertinent to the case at hand, as in regards to the law. But then again, why are you liberals consistently deflecting to the Iran-Contra scandal?

Why does this prove you are more of an idiot than you claim PC is?

Not that I have much comment on the "obama scandals," because I don't think they are scandals so much as a typical RW foot stomp over once again being electorally dismissed as irrelevent old men more interested in not paying taxes and sex than in actually governiing, but ....

Iran Contra was a scandal, but it was not the usual tawdry tale of bribery or power grabbing, or the generally irrelvant and mean spirited attack on sexual deviations. Rather, it went to a very fundamental conflict in American const law. Does the Exec of Legis branch determine the foriegn policy of the US. The dems didn't like Reagan's anti-communism. Kilpatrick, his UN ambassador, clearly said the US should fund despots who preyed on their own people, to oppose communism. Rightly or wrongly, the dem majority passed a law saying we could not do this. Reagan's admin, rightly or wrongly, evaded the law.

Gee....I thought you'd take the argument to whether or not the exec has the right to ignore laws he doesn't agree with....and alter them sans congressional attention.

'Cause if you did go there, I wanted to bring up Obama's destruction of the Clinton Welfare Reform of '96....

"Determined to destroy Bill Clinton’s signature achievement, President Obama’s administration has opened a loophole in the 1996 welfare reform legislation big enough to make the law ineffective. Its work requirement — the central feature of the legislation — has been diluted beyond recognition by the bureaucrats at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).

“Section 415(a)(2)(B) of the welfare reform act, now codified at 42 U.S.C. § 615(a)(2)(B), expressly states that ‘a waiver granted under section 1315 of this title [the one that HHS now claims it is acting under] or otherwise which relates to the provision of assistance under a State program funded under this part (as in effect on Sept. 30, 1996) shall not affect the applicability of section 607 of this title [which applies the work requirements] to the State.’ In short, whatever else might be said of the scope of the waiver authority, the Secretary has no lawful authority to waive the work requirements of section 607, which is what HHS is contemplating in its Memorandum.”
Obama kills welfare reform - The Hill - covering Congress, Politics, Political Campaigns and Capitol Hill | TheHill.com

Too bad.....

No one.

Material, meaning substantive or pertinent to the case at hand, as in regards to the law. But then again, why are you liberals consistently deflecting to the Iran-Contra scandal?

PC is claiming no one was convicted in the Iran Contra scandal. That is just stupid. Stupid for no reason whatsoever. Gratuitous stupidity.

No one.

Oooooo.....look who's getting upset!

Calm down.....it's just one more in a long line of your defeats.

OK...I am enjoying your distress. Naughty?

You don't mind if I await the other two individuals......

....it's probably more efficacious if I deal with folks who can incorporate the facts into their arguments.

Okay so you have no idea what a 'material' lie under oath is.

Look it up.

Sure. So did the brain dead leftists on here that are crowing how it shows Issa is playing politics. IT shows it by selectively presenting alleged testimony from a self described conservative republican who never made a campaign contribution that he has no basis for believing the White House was involved. Of course he has no basis for disbelieving it either, which is what makes it a masterpice of agitprop.

Yes, lets see the full testimony of everyone the committee questioned.

Issa cherry picked the testimony for political purposes and now he's trying to keep the full transcript from being released.

Ever notice how the more wrong the inmates are on an issue, the more threads they start about it?

Is that in case nobody has noticed how wrong you are? Or what?

"Ever notice how the more wrong the inmates are on an issue, the more threads they start about it?"

This is one of the more subtle attempts to silence opposition.

...but still the Liberal mode....

Mocking your stupidity has not stopped you from continuing to post stupidity.

What is the point of starting the same thread over and over again, after everything in the prior one has been proven either to be lies, to be wrong, or to be just plain idiocy?

What is the point?

PC is claiming no one was convicted in the Iran Contra scandal. That is just stupid. Stupid for no reason whatsoever. Gratuitous stupidity.

C'mon, Carbine, even you don't believe that. So far she's been kicking your ass from one side of this thread to the other. You haven't been exactly stating your case well from the beginning. Yours is a euphemistic kind of fantasy. The only noticeable conviction is that of General Oliver North. But the fact he didn't serve any time in jail is reason enough to state that he was never technically "convicted" of anything. Oliver North's conviction was overturned because he was granted immunity. Fawn Hall was granted immunity from prosecution, Scott Royster was also granted immunity, Caspar Wienberger was indicted, but was pardoned by George HW Bush before he could be tried. Poindexter's conviction was overturned by the Supreme Court, most of the people implicated in the scandal were never convicted, as PC said.

Here's the full list. PC is right on the money:

Caspar Weinberger: Pardoned
Elliott Abrams: Pardoned
Alan D. Fiers: Pardoned
Clair George: Pardoned
Oliver North: Granted immunity
Fawn Hall: Granted immunity
Johnathan Scott Royster: Granted immunity
John Poindexter: Conviction overturned by Supreme Court
Duane Clarridge: Sentenced to two years of probation
Richard V. Second: Sentenced to two years of probation
Albert Hakim: Sentenced to two years of probation and fined $5,000

In Poindexter's hometown of Odon, Indiana, a street was renamed to John Poindexter Street. Bill Breeden, a former minister, stole the street's sign in protest of the Iran–Contra affair. He claimed that he was holding it for a ransom of $30 million, in reference to the amount of money given to Iran to transfer to the Contras. He was later arrested and confined to prison, making him, as satirically noted by Howard Zinn, "the only person to be imprisoned as a result of the Iran-Contra Scandal"

Wikipedia - Iran-Contra Affair

Last edited:

C'mon, Carbine, even you don't believe that. So far she's been kicking your ass from one side of this thread to the other. You haven't been exactly stating your case well from the beginning. Yours is a euphemistic kind of fantasy. The only noticeable conviction is that of General Oliver North. But the fact he didn't serve any time in jail is reason enough to state that he was never technically "convicted" of anything. Oliver North's conviction was overturned because he was granted immunity. Fawn Hall was granted immunity from prosecution, Scott Royster was also granted immunity, Caspar Wienberger was indicted, but was pardoned by George HW Bush before he could be tried. Poindexter's conviction was overturned by the Supreme Court, most of the people implicated in the scandal were never convicted, as PC said.

Here's the full list. PC is right on the money:

Caspar Weinberger: Pardoned
Elliott Abrams: Pardoned
Alan D. Fiers: Pardoned
Clair George: Pardoned
Oliver North: Granted immunity
Fawn Hall: Granted immunity
Johnathan Scott Royster: Granted immunity
John Poindexter: Conviction overturned by Supreme Court
Duane Clarridge: Sentenced to two years of probation
Richard V. Second: Sentenced to two years of probation
Albert Hakim: Sentenced to two years of probation and fined $5,000

In Poindexter's hometown of Odon, Indiana, a street was renamed to John Poindexter Street. Bill Breeden, a former minister, stole the street's sign in protest of the Iran–Contra affair. He claimed that he was holding it for a ransom of $30 million, in reference to the amount of money given to Iran to transfer to the Contras. He was later arrested and confined to prison, making him, as satirically noted by Howard Zinn, "the only person to be imprisoned as a result of the Iran-Contra Scandal"

Wikipedia - Iran-Contra Affair

Elliot Abrams - pleaded guilty

Carl Channell - pleaded guilty

Thomas G. Clines - convicted

Alan Fiers - pleaded guilty

Clair George - convicted

Albert Hakim - pleaded guilty

Robert McFarlane - pleaded guilty

Richard Miller - pleaded guilty

Richard Secord - pleaded guilty

Nine is not ZERO.

Walsh Iran / Contra Report - Summary of Prosecutions

1. For clarity...and because I love rubbing your face in it.....only two were found guilty of funding the fight against the communists in Nicaraugua.

Two:

Poindexter, North, and two arms dealers Richard Secord and Albert Hakim were charged with “conspiring to defraud the U.S. by establishing and concealing a plan for illegally supporting the Nicaraguan contras.” Poindexter and North were accused of “trying to cover up their illicit actions by destroying and removing documents and making false statements.” Bibliography -

The two had the convictions overturned.

Now....follow this math: two minus two is...??

ZERO!

You know zero....it was the grade you usually received....right?

2. The other charges were criminal charges...and were pardoned.

" The Independent Counsel concluded that the sales of arms to Iran contravened U.S. policy and may have violated the Arms Export Control act, the provision and coordination of support to the contras violated the Boland Amendment ban on aid to military activities in Nicaragua, large volumes of highly relevant, contemporaneously created documents were systematically and willfully withheld from investigators by several Reagan Administration officials. Another fact of interest: 14 persons were charged with criminal violations."
http://www.americangovernment.abc-c...iran+contra&&option=all&searchsites=1,3,4,5,7,

Did you note that the Iran-Contra charges were separated form the criminal violations???
Again:
"Another fact of interest: 14 persons were charged with criminal violations."

3. Result of the millions that the Democrats spent of taxpayer funds....to support communists and the hopes of Reagan's impeachment???

ZERO!

4. I hope that this discussion continues to widen, to include the destruction of the the intelligence agencies by the communist-supporting Democrats (is that redundant?) in Congress.

The Church Committee, and the Pike Committee, ultimately, gave us 9/11.

One example?
Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Joseph Biden,…[t]he Delaware Democrat was one of seventeen Senators who voted in 1974 to ban all covert operations, and proudly noted during his 1988 campaign for president that he had threatened to “go public” with covert action plans by the Reagan administration, causing them to cancel the operations.

Democrats: the party of slavery, segregation, secularization and SEDITION.

1. For clarity...and because I love rubbing your face in it.....only two were found guilty of funding the fight against the communists in Nicaraugua.

Two:

Poindexter, North, and two arms dealers Richard Secord and Albert Hakim were charged with “conspiring to defraud the U.S. by establishing and concealing a plan for illegally supporting the Nicaraguan contras.” Poindexter and North were accused of “trying to cover up their illicit actions by destroying and removing documents and making false statements.” Bibliography -

ZERO!

" The Independent Counsel concluded that the sales of arms to Iran contravened U.S. policy and may have violated the Arms Export Control act, the provision and coordination of support to the contras violated the Boland Amendment ban on aid to military activities in Nicaragua, large volumes of highly relevant, contemporaneously created documents were systematically and willfully withheld from investigators by several Reagan Administration officials. Another fact of interest: 14 persons were charged with criminal violations."
http://www.americangovernment.abc-c...iran+contra&&option=all&searchsites=1,3,4,5,7,

Did you note that the Iran-Contra charges were separated form the criminal violations???
Again:

3. Result of the millions that the Democrats spent of taxpayer funds....to support communists and the hopes of Reagan's impeachment???

ZERO!

4. I hope that this discussion continues to widen, to include the destruction of the the intelligence agencies by the communist-supporting Democrats (is that redundant?) in Congress.

One example?
Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Joseph Biden,…[t]he Delaware Democrat was one of seventeen Senators who voted in 1974 to ban all covert operations, and proudly noted during his 1988 campaign for president that he had threatened to “go public” with covert action plans by the Reagan administration, causing them to cancel the operations.

You know you can repeat the same thing over and over and over again like some mental patient wandering in circles in rec room of some looney bin,

but once it's been proven wrong, it's been proven wrong, and it has.

You proving you wrong is the cake, getting to see you deny it repeatedly in a manner of a madwoman

is the icing.

Two:

ZERO!

Again:

ZERO!

One example?

You know you can repeat the same thing over and over and over again like some mental patient wandering in circles in rec room of some looney bin,

You proving you wrong is the cake, getting to see you deny it repeatedly in a manner of a madwoman

is the icing.

Rather than 'repeating,' I've provided 3-4-5 different sources, scholarly sources, that support my analysis.

In short, research proves my statement to be correct.

The mindlessly biased....that would be you.....slap their hands over their ears and squeeze their eyes shut, and claims not to see or hear the truth.
It seems book-larnin' ain't fer you.

That's fine.

Any reading our individual posts can make up their own minds.

Don't you want to lose another argument by claiming that the Democrats didn't destroy our intelligence agencies??

I'm looking forward to it.

Two:

ZERO!

Again:

ZERO!

One example?

is the icing.

Rather than 'repeating,' I've provided 3-4-5 different sources, scholarly sources, that support my analysis.

The mindlessly biased....that would be you.....slap their hands over their ears and squeeze their eyes shut, and claims not to see or hear the truth.

That's fine.

Don't you want to lose another argument by claiming that the Democrats didn't destroy our intelligence agencies??

You're a stock character in the world of political message boards. You're the rightwinger who thinks that he can't be proven wrong as long as he doesn't admit he was wrong, no matter how much proof is provided.

You're not even an original.

is the icing.

That's fine.

You're a stock character in the world of political message boards. You're the rightwinger who thinks that he can't be proven wrong as long as he doesn't admit he was wrong, no matter how much proof is provided.

You're not even an original.

My turn?

Actually...I'm an original....you can't understand why you lose every time.
I don't mind telling you why: I actually read, and study.

Thus....I run circles around whiney losers whose raison d'être is the support of Liberalism.
That's you.

That's why I reduce you to attacks aimed at me.....

because:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzd40i8TfA]You can't handle the truth! (Jack Nicholson) - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back