Is a Constitutional Crisis on the way?

Is a Constitutional Crisis on the Horizon?

• Total voters
This law suit, in and of itself doesn't matter. One of three things will happen:
1. SCOTUS will refuse to hear it
2. SCOTUS will find in favor of the President
3. SCOTUS will find in favor of Boehner

If SCOTUS finds in favor of Boehner, then the President will apologize and make some token gesture of conforming to the courts decisions.

What really matters is the outcome of the next congressional elections:

If there is a Republicans victory by a wide enough margin, they will impeach the President and remove him from office - no matter what. Having this law suit succeed will be just one more excuse for a legislative coup. But it won't matter - they'll go ahead with impeachment one way or another.

Impeachment does not equal "removal from office".

President Obama will finish out his term. He will be present on Inauguration Day in 2017......congratulating the newly elected POTUS as our Republic moves forward.

This lawsuit will not be heard, I believe. And Boehner doesn't care either way. He already lost the nutter base capital that it gave him. That idiot doesn't have an ounce of foresight.

This law suit, in and of itself doesn't matter. One of three things will happen:
1. SCOTUS will refuse to hear it
2. SCOTUS will find in favor of the President
3. SCOTUS will find in favor of Boehner

If SCOTUS finds in favor of Boehner, then the President will apologize and make some token gesture of conforming to the courts decisions.

What really matters is the outcome of the next congressional elections:

If there is a Republicans victory by a wide enough margin, they will impeach the President and remove him from office - no matter what. Having this law suit succeed will be just one more excuse for a legislative coup. But it won't matter - they'll go ahead with impeachment one way or another.

Impeachment does not equal "removal from office".

President Obama will finish out his term. He will be present on Inauguration Day in 2017......congratulating the newly elected POTUS as our Republic moves forward.

This lawsuit will not be heard, I believe. And Boehner doesn't care either way. He already lost the nutter base capital that it gave him. That idiot doesn't have an ounce of foresight.

Boehner is the worst Speaker of the House in living memory. Stands a good chance of being the worst overall too.

No, a debate means that both sides are engaged with the topic clearly identified.

What we have here is not a debate. It is a complaint brought about by a failure to educate and comprehend that we no longer live in a world where horses and muskets are in daily use.

If you want a debate then clearly state your issue and put it on the table.

I've stated my position clearly. I don't think you're unclear on where I stand, you just don't accept it.

Your "position", and I use the term loosely, is that you have developed an "attitude", your term not mine, towards the 9th and 10th Amendments.

It's a holdover from a division that was lurking from the very beginning, and is summed up by our attitudes toward the ninth and tenth amendments.

Nowhere have you clearly articulated any "powers" or "limitations" that you want to debate.

This is not about whether I "accept" anything. This is about a failure on your part to stipulate your grievances and put them on the table.

Let's recap briefly regarding other "deep divisions" in our history. The Founding Fathers were very specific about what they were objecting to in the DoI. Martin Luther King as the spokesperson for the Civil Rights movement clearly articulated what they saw as needing to remedied. There are pictures where LBJ and MLK are meeting to sort out their "deep division".

So I still don't see anything more than a sullen attitude and some non specific mumbling about the BoR from your side.

Ah.. you've resorted to being an insulting prick. It seems hard for you to avoid.

The actual history of the Constitution's ratification shows the roots of the ongoing disagreements in its interpretation, if you care to read up on it. The debate over the general welfare clause, and the politics regarding the inclusion of the Bill of Rights is a pretty good place to start.

The constitution has been under attack from the far left for a very long time, just now instead of attacking it, they just ignore it.

A constitution scholar president has been shot down 9 times by the SC (9 -0) more than any other president.

Goes to prove that the far left does not know the Constitution let alone understand it.

To them it is just a GD piece of paper.

You might consider doing a fact check and in doing so remember the devil is in the details. Some of the 13 cases rules by the Supremes 9-0 were EO issued by George W. Bush. But don't take my word for it, see:

GOP leader: Supreme Court has ruled 13 times that Obama exceeded his constitutional authority | PolitiFact

But read the entire article, don't cherry pick. If you do, I'll be watching.

btw, here is the conclusion for those to lazy to read the entire article:

"Goodlatte said, the "9-0 decision last week was the 13th time the Supreme Court has voted 9-0 that the president has exceeded his constitutional authority." A thorough review of the 13 cases found many instances where presidential authority was not at issue. Further, most of the cases originated under and were first litigated by the Bush administration."

We rate Goodlatte’s statement False.

What does that tell you? It demonstrate that Bush Jr. a leftists, a Progressive.

Medicare D and Patriot Act are Progressive acts.

Which means we had a Progressive President for 4 terms from both R and D party.

Ask yourself how much liberty you have now vs. 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago.

Live without regrets, live in the present moment. The past is gone and the future is to come. Learn from the past and plan for the future.

The answer is that the passage of Amendments, laws, and SCOTUS opinions have changed the context of the role of the 9th and 10th in modern society.

That's the question, not the answer. That's what some of us are rejecting.

Quit slicing, leaving in the name of the quoter, and then taking the comment out of context.

Here is the full post, which easily answers your question. You don't like the answer, which is your problem, not mine

The answer is that the passage of Amendments, laws, and SCOTUS opinions have changed the context of the role of the 9th and 10th in modern society. They do not, and never will again, operate as a check against the national government as the far right wished they would. States Rights is very, very limited now, not the federal government.

In fact, the 9th and 10th Amendments were never originally intended as a 'check' on Federal authority to the advantage of the states. That was a recent contrivance of the reactionary right hostile to post-Lochner jurisprudence recognizing the authority the Commerce Clause affords Congress to enact regulatory measures.

Since the ratification of the Amendments the Supreme Court has always perceived them in their original and correct context, where the Amendments do not place 'restrictions' on the authority of the Federal government, nor do they 'authorize' the states to 'ignore' or 'nullify' Federal law:

The [Tenth A]mendment states but a truism that all is retained which has not been surrendered. There is nothing in the history of its adoption to suggest that it was more than declaratory of the relationship between the national and state governments as it had been established by the Constitution before the amendment, or that its purpose was other than to allay fears that the new national government might seek to exercise powers not granted, and that the states might not be able to exercise fully their reserved powers[...]

From the beginning and for many years, the amendment has been construed as not depriving the national government of authority to resort to all means for the exercise of a granted power which are appropriate and plainly adapted to the permitted end.

United States v. Darby | LII / Legal Information Institute

And should Congress act in a manner that is not appropriate and plainly adapted to the permitted end, then citizens are at liberty to file suit and seek relief in Federal court, as did the Darby Lumber Company.

And indeed in Darby the Supreme Court reaffirmed the fact that the Commerce Clause authorized Congress to enact the Fair Labor Standards Act, and to regulate such matters as wages and compensation, employees' working conditions, and the appropriate treatment of workers.

Last edited:
The answer is that the passage of Amendments, laws, and SCOTUS opinions have changed the context of the role of the 9th and 10th in modern society. They do not, and never will again, operate as a check against the national government as the far right wished they would. States Rights is very, very limited now, not the federal government.

So you are confirming that we are indeed living in a post-constitutional America. Madison said the powers of the feds were few and defined and those of the States were vast. Just the opposite of what you just described, and you appear to be fine with it, how pathetic are you, you fucking loser.

Nonsense.

There is no such thing as a 'post-Constitution America,' the Constitution is functioning today as it always has, in accordance with the original intent of the Framers.

The Framers were not of one mind with regard to many issues of their day, and they often changed their positions over time concerning various issues. In addition, one member of the Founding Generation did not speak for all, nor would he be representative of all, or possess the sole authority to determine the meaning of the Constitution.

This is why it's important to understand that the Constitution exists only in the context of its case law, as interpreted by the Supreme Court, authorized by the Constitution in Articles III and VI as well as the doctrine of judicial review.

It was the intent of the American people who created the Constitution that their National government be supreme, that the Federal Constitution be supreme, and acts of Congress be supreme, with Federal laws and the rulings of Federal courts superior to that of the states and local jurisdictions (Cooper v. Aaron (1958)).

And it was the intent of the Founding Generation that the Constitution affords Congress powers both expressed and implied, where the states may not interfere with the relationship between the people and their National government, and that the courts determine when Congress has acted in accordance with the Constitution, and when it has not ( McCulloch v. Maryland (1819)).

The Constitution affords and guarantees the states their own rights and privileges immune from Federal overreach; but the people who reside within the states are first and foremost citizens of the United States, where their civil liberties as American citizens are paramount and cannot be violated by the states, and are safeguarded by the Federal Constitution and its case law.

and that the courts determine when Congress has acted in accordance with the Constitution, and when it has not ( McCulloch v. Maryland (1819)).

It's interesting that you purposefully left out he fact that the SAME Judicial constraints apply to the Executive Branch as well.

Hence the President's bitch slapping by the Court in almost EVERY case that's come before it.

I've stated my position clearly. I don't think you're unclear on where I stand, you just don't accept it.

Your "position", and I use the term loosely, is that you have developed an "attitude", your term not mine, towards the 9th and 10th Amendments.

It's a holdover from a division that was lurking from the very beginning, and is summed up by our attitudes toward the ninth and tenth amendments.

Nowhere have you clearly articulated any "powers" or "limitations" that you want to debate.

This is not about whether I "accept" anything. This is about a failure on your part to stipulate your grievances and put them on the table.

Let's recap briefly regarding other "deep divisions" in our history. The Founding Fathers were very specific about what they were objecting to in the DoI. Martin Luther King as the spokesperson for the Civil Rights movement clearly articulated what they saw as needing to remedied. There are pictures where LBJ and MLK are meeting to sort out their "deep division".

So I still don't see anything more than a sullen attitude and some non specific mumbling about the BoR from your side.

Ah.. you've resorted to being an insulting prick. It seems hard for you to avoid.

The actual history of the Constitution's ratification shows the roots of the ongoing disagreements in its interpretation, if you care to read up on it. The debate over the general welfare clause, and the politics regarding the inclusion of the Bill of Rights is a pretty good place to start.

Your failure to comprehend what I actually posted is not my problem.

The onus is on you to articulate your grievances. You have no idea what I know about the ratification of the Constitution, the general welfare clause and the BoR.

You have been given ample opportunity to state your issues. Thus far you have failed on each and every occasion. You have resorted to unprovoked vulgarities and so this is your final chance as far as I am concerned.

The constitution has been under attack from the far left for a very long time, just now instead of attacking it, they just ignore it.

A constitution scholar president has been shot down 9 times by the SC (9 -0) more than any other president.

Goes to prove that the far left does not know the Constitution let alone understand it.

You might consider doing a fact check and in doing so remember the devil is in the details. Some of the 13 cases rules by the Supremes 9-0 were EO issued by George W. Bush. But don't take my word for it, see:

GOP leader: Supreme Court has ruled 13 times that Obama exceeded his constitutional authority | PolitiFact

"Goodlatte said, the "9-0 decision last week was the 13th time the Supreme Court has voted 9-0 that the president has exceeded his constitutional authority." A thorough review of the 13 cases found many instances where presidential authority was not at issue. Further, most of the cases originated under and were first litigated by the Bush administration."

What does that tell you? It demonstrate that Bush Jr. a leftists, a Progressive.

Live without regrets, live in the present moment. The past is gone and the future is to come. Learn from the past and plan for the future.

Americans have just as much liberty. Especially if said American is a woman or a gay person...or someone who wants to fire up a joint or carry a gun into a bar. What we don't have is as much opportunity. That has been sucked away by dopey trade agreements and an terribly misguided experiment in unbridled free market economics.

You are calling the Patriot act a progressive act? Why should you be taken seriously after saying that?

In fact, the 9th and 10th Amendments were never originally intended as a 'check' on Federal authority to the advantage of the states. That was a recent contrivance of the reactionary right

Thomas Jefferson's Kentucky Resolutions on 10th Amendment Nullification are a recent contrivance? [MENTION=29614]C_Clayton_Jones[/MENTION]

http://www.constitution.org/cons/kent1798.htm

and that whensoever the general government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force: that to this compact each State acceded as a State, and is an integral part, its co-States forming, as to itself, the other party: that the government created by this compact was not made the exclusive or final judge of the extent of the powers delegated to itself; since that would have made its discretion, and not the Constitution, the measure of its powers; but that, as in all other cases of compact among powers having no common judge, each party has an equal right to judge for itself, as well of infractions as of the mode and measure of redress.

where powers are assumed which have not been delegated, a nullification of the act is the rightful remedy.

10th Amendment:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Last edited:
I've done nothing for black men and women that I've not done for Asian men and women, white men and women and each and every race, ethnicity or creed with the youth I coached as a volunteer and those I recruited, trained or managed in my career in law enforcement

Actually I think 2nd Amendments post was evidence of racism (the poor black people need my help).

Racist!

lol

And all the republicans in Congress who voted to enact Medicare Part D and the Patriot Act, a Congress controlled by a republican majority, were 'progressives' as well.

How sad, you're the only 'true conservative' left.

Actually this administrating has been shot down 13 times 9-0 but believe it or not it's not a record, Clinton was shot down 18 times 9-0.

Let's put the facts on the table. You're are a liar - by omission - a right wing moron - by evidence of your posts - and an asshole (IMO).

Let's look at one source to determine what you are:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ader-supreme-court-has-ruled-13-times-obama-/

Sadly, the facts are right wing jerks like OKTexas are dishonest - either willfully so, or because they were dropped on their head too often as an infant.

In fact, the 9th and 10th Amendments were never originally intended as a 'check' on Federal authority to the advantage of the states. That was a recent contrivance of the reactionary right

Thomas Jefferson's Kentucky Resolutions on 10th Amendment Nullification are a recent contrivance? [MENTION=29614]C_Clayton_Jones[/MENTION]

The Kentucky Resolutions of 1798

and that whensoever the general government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force: that to this compact each State acceded as a State, and is an integral part, its co-States forming, as to itself, the other party: that the government created by this compact was not made the exclusive or final judge of the extent of the powers delegated to itself; since that would have made its discretion, and not the Constitution, the measure of its powers; but that, as in all other cases of compact among powers having no common judge, each party has an equal right to judge for itself, as well of infractions as of the mode and measure of redress.

where powers are assumed which have not been delegated, a nullification of the act is the rightful remedy.

10th Amendment:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

When was Thomas Jefferson a justice on the United States Supreme Court.

Cite in Constitutional case law where the states are authorized to 'nullify' Federal law.

While you're looking for the citation, here's the case law that says they can't:

Cooper v. Aaron (1958), where the state of Arkansas sought to 'nullify' the Supreme Court's ruling in Brown v. Board of Education (1954), rendering segregation illegal, and the Supreme Court invalidated that effort.

Consequently the notion of 'nullification' as legitimate Constitutional doctrine is a recent contrivance by the partisan right hostile to post-Lochner jurisprudence.

Only Constitutional "crisis" in the US is that a black guy became President. If you look at the Declaration of Indpendence under a microscope, the white-out part of "All white men are created equal..." becomes visible. ;)

I voted no. The constitutional crisis that republicans imagine started when Obama took the white house, and fox central and right wing radio has kept the beat going since. Obama's probably the most conservative democrat ever and yet these poor guys think he's a socialist when he's not being a muslim.

The House has officially decided to sue Obama for the usurpation of legislative powers, all of which are vested in Congress according to Article I of the US Constitution.

Without a doubt, the courts will rule AGAINST Obama, even it takes 6-18 months.

The question however is how Obama will react. Will he scoff at both the Legislative and Judicial Branches and plow along anyway? What happens then?

Quite literally, the Court will be asked to resolve the following question:

Is Obama a dictator?

And herein lies the problem. If he is a dictator, the Court's opinion will not shake him, it will merely be an opinion.

If they rule that he is not a dictator, then we no longer have need of Congress, since apparently the President can rightfully assume any and all legislative powers at any time. Congress would merely function as Caesar's Rubber Stamp at best. Congress becomes worthless.

Wrong, congress will still have the power of the purse, they have the power to shut the whole thing down, if it really comes to it. Let's see how the dear leader implements his grand plans with no money.

This. Wrongpublicans will continue to terrorize the nation with threats of "hitting the debt ceiling" and "plummeting off a fiscal cliff" just as they have since they stole a majority in the House.

President Obama, a dictator? Please. We sure could use one, though, to deal with all these Tea-hadis running around Washington, shutting down the gyvyrnmynt.

Did a liberal just wish for dictators? No way. I could never believe that!:lol:

Our ruling Goodlatte said, the "9-0 decision last week was the 13th time the Supreme Court has voted 9-0 that the president has exceeded his constitutional authority." A thorough review of the 13 cases found many instances where presidential authority was not at issue. Further, most of the cases originated under and were first litigated by the Bush administration.

We rate Goodlatte’s statement Fa
lse.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ader-supreme-court-has-ruled-13-times-obama-/

Only one of the 13 cases actually had to do directly with Obama’s overreach: National Labor Relations Board vs. Noel Canning. In that case, decided in June, the Supreme Court said unanimously that Obama went too far when he appointed members to the National Labor Relations Board when the Senate wasn’t technically in session.

But even that case had nothing to do with what Spicer said last weekend on CNN. Spicer claimed that the court has unanimously rejected "the president's executive orders" 13 times in three years.

Executive orders are a lot different, and a lot more specific, than "constitutional authority," which is what Goodlatte said. Executive orders are official actions taken by the president directing the federal government and bureaucracies. They carry the power of law, but can be revoked or amended by future administrations and are limited in scope.

It does not appear that any of these cases actually have to do with executive orders issued by Obama.

GOP spokesman says Supreme Court unanimously ruled against Barack Obama's executive orders 13 times | PolitiFact

Forum List

Back