Is a Constitutional Crisis on the way?

Is a Constitutional Crisis on the Horizon?

• Total voters
Proverbs 28:4
"Those who forsake the law praise the wicked, but those who keep the law resist them."

The House has officially decided to sue Obama for the usurpation of legislative powers, all of which are vested in Congress according to Article I of the US Constitution.

Without a doubt, the courts will rule AGAINST Obama, even it takes 6-18 months.

The question however is how Obama will react. Will he scoff at both the Legislative and Judicial Branches and plow along anyway? What happens then?

Quite literally, the Court will be asked to resolve the following question:

Is Obama a dictator?

And herein lies the problem. If he is a dictator, the Court's opinion will not shake him, it will merely be an opinion.

If they rule that he is not a dictator, then we no longer have need of Congress, since apparently the President can rightfully assume any and all legislative powers at any time. Congress would merely function as Caesar's Rubber Stamp at best. Congress becomes worthless.

Complete and utter emotive nonsense!

There is no "constitutional crisis".

Obama is not a "dictator".

What we see are attempts by a disgruntled minority to nullify federal laws.

They have failed to achieve their goal in the ballot box.

They have failed to achieve their goal by holding the nation hostage.

They are about to fail again with a baseless lawsuit.

The nation and the Constitution will weather this storm in a Tea Party cup because the balance of power is shifting out of their hands. It might take until 2020 and another Census for the new demographics to fully take effect but the current temper tantrum has no future in my opinion. Moderate rational compromise will prevail in the end.

Granted, the dictator stuff is silly - but this is more than sour grapes. There's deep division in the nation over the proper role of government, and just how much power the majority should have. Which is something that can't, for obvious reasons, be resolved by a simple consensus.

Last edited:
The House has officially decided to sue Obama for the usurpation of legislative powers, all of which are vested in Congress according to Article I of the US Constitution.

Without a doubt, the courts will rule AGAINST Obama, even it takes 6-18 months.

The question however is how Obama will react. Will he scoff at both the Legislative and Judicial Branches and plow along anyway? What happens then?

Quite literally, the Court will be asked to resolve the following question:

Is Obama a dictator?

And herein lies the problem. If he is a dictator, the Court's opinion will not shake him, it will merely be an opinion.

If they rule that he is not a dictator, then we no longer have need of Congress, since apparently the President can rightfully assume any and all legislative powers at any time. Congress would merely function as Caesar's Rubber Stamp at best. Congress becomes worthless.

Complete and utter emotive nonsense!

There is no "constitutional crisis".

Obama is not a "dictator".

What we see are attempts by a disgruntled minority to nullify federal laws.

They have failed to achieve their goal in the ballot box.

They have failed to achieve their goal by holding the nation hostage.

They are about to fail again with a baseless lawsuit.

The nation and the Constitution will weather this storm in a Tea Party cup because the balance of power is shifting out of their hands. It might take until 2020 and another Census for the new demographics to fully take effect but the current temper tantrum has no future in my opinion. Moderate rational compromise will prevail in the end.

Granted, the dictator stuff is silly - but this is more than sour grapes. There's deep division in the nation over the proper role of government, and just how much power the majority should have. Which is something that can't, for obvious reasons, be resolved by a simple consensus.

There might well be a "deep division" but it is only amongst a splinter group of a subset of the population.

This has happened before and yes, the worst "deep division" resulted in the Civil War but then there was a great deal of money at stake.

Let's take a look another "deep division" when it came to Prohibition. The splinter minority activists managed to get a Constitutional Amendment passed that turned into a law and order nightmare. It was repealed shortly thereafter.

The next "deep division" was the Civil Rights era. The powers that be took appropriate action and it was resolved. Not perfectly but it ceased to be divisive once that action came to pass.

So what exactly is the nature of the "deep division" today?

I am going to ask you to articulate it so I won't be charged with mischaracterizing it.

I am going to ask you to articulate it so I won't be charged with mischaracterizing it.

It's a holdover from a division that was lurking from the very beginning, and is summed up by our attitudes toward the ninth and tenth amendments. The Question is whether the Constitution limits government by granting it only certain powers, or whether government is only limited by specific prohibitions (eg the Bill of Rights).

It's a holdover from a division that was lurking from the very beginning, and is summed up by our attitudes toward the ninth and tenth amendments. The Question is whether the Constitution limits government by granting it only certain powers, or whether government is only limited by specific prohibitions (eg the Bill of Rights).

There have been another 17 Amendments since the BoR was ratified. More than sufficient time has passed and there is masses of case law that has determined where those lines are drawn.

What you are telling me is that people who don't have a good grasp of the Constitution and how the system works are dissatisfied because their political leaders are telling them to be upset in order to garner their votes.

That is not the definition of a "deep division". That falls under the headings of "politics as usual" and "there is one born every minute".

The answer is that the passage of Amendments, laws, and SCOTUS opinions have changed the context of the role of the 9th and 10th in modern society. They do not, and never will again, operate as a check against the national government as the far right wished they would. States Rights is very, very limited now, not the federal government.

The answer is that the passage of Amendments, laws, and SCOTUS opinions have changed the context of the role of the 9th and 10th in modern society.

That's the question, not the answer. That's what some of us are rejecting.

What you are telling me is that people who don't have a good grasp of the Constitution and how the system works are dissatisfied because their political leaders are telling them to be upset in order to garner their votes.

There's plenty of that, on both sides of the dispute. But there's a real debate underneath it all.

There's plenty of that, on both sides of the dispute. But there's a real debate underneath it all.

No, a debate means that both sides are engaged with the topic clearly identified.

What we have here is not a debate. It is a complaint brought about by a failure to educate and comprehend that we no longer live in a world where horses and muskets are in daily use.

If you want a debate then clearly state your issue and put it on the table.

The answer is that the passage of Amendments, laws, and SCOTUS opinions have changed the context of the role of the 9th and 10th in modern society. They do not, and never will again, operate as a check against the national government as the far right wished they would. States Rights is very, very limited now, not the federal government.

So you are confirming that we are indeed living in a post-constitutional America. Madison said the powers of the feds were few and defined and those of the States were vast. Just the opposite of what you just described, and you appear to be fine with it, how pathetic are you, you fucking loser.

So you are confirming that we are indeed living in a post-constitutional America. Madison said the powers of the feds were few and defined and those of the States were vast. Just the opposite of what you just described, and you appear to be fine with it, how pathetic are you, you fucking loser.

:lmao:

Gotta love it when posters come up with this kind of apocalyptic hyperbole!

No, a debate means that both sides are engaged with the topic clearly identified.

What we have here is not a debate. It is a complaint brought about by a failure to educate and comprehend that we no longer live in a world where horses and muskets are in daily use.

I've stated my position clearly. I don't think you're unclear on where I stand, you just don't accept it.

I've stated my position clearly. I don't think you're unclear on where I stand, you just don't accept it.

Your "position", and I use the term loosely, is that you have developed an "attitude", your term not mine, towards the 9th and 10th Amendments.

It's a holdover from a division that was lurking from the very beginning, and is summed up by our attitudes toward the ninth and tenth amendments.

Nowhere have you clearly articulated any "powers" or "limitations" that you want to debate.

This is not about whether I "accept" anything. This is about a failure on your part to stipulate your grievances and put them on the table.

Let's recap briefly regarding other "deep divisions" in our history. The Founding Fathers were very specific about what they were objecting to in the DoI. Martin Luther King as the spokesperson for the Civil Rights movement clearly articulated what they saw as needing to remedied. There are pictures where LBJ and MLK are meeting to sort out their "deep division".

So I still don't see anything more than a sullen attitude and some non specific mumbling about the BoR from your side.

:lmao:

Gotta love it when posters come up with this kind of apocalyptic hyperbole!

OKTexas wants to live in 1814 not 2014. Fucking too bad.

OKTexas, dlblack, and others go, "wah, we don't like this."

No one cares.

Ok, everyone pay attention:

this lawsuit is a good thing for the country. It will establish presidential limits of power for FUTURE presidents. There is zero chance that the court will rule that any of obama's unconstitutional acts must be overturned, so forget about that, even though that is what should happen---it won't.

But future presidents will risk real impeachment if they go beyond the limits established by this suit, and it will apply to presidents from both parties.

It is a good thing for the USA, forget the partisan bullshit for a while and let this move forward.

Ok, everyone pay attention:

this lawsuit is a good thing for the country. It will establish presidential limits of power for FUTURE presidents. There is zero chance that the court will rule that any of obama's unconstitutional acts must be overturned, so forget about that, even though that is what should happen---it won't.

But future presidents will risk real impeachment if they go beyond the limits established by this suit, and it will apply to presidents from both parties.

It is a good thing for the USA, forget the partisan bullshit for a while and let this move forward.

Gee! When you put it that way, it all seems so simple! Thanks Redfish!

Forum List

Back