Is Christmas a Christian (or Catholic) Holiday?

Anyway it was Saturn and the celebration was Saturnalia December it was celebrated from December 17th to December 24th.

1 week - keeps the problem that the pagan Romans did not think in the Jewish time structure "week". So it's perhaps a "myth" what you believe in.

I guess they didn't want to disrespect him so they gave Jesus December 25th.

Or not.

Although Christianity became the state religion in 323 CE the edict of Milan that constituting signed in 313 CE still allowed to worship of all other religions without persecution.

no comment

Thank you, that's the point I was trying to make. They chose a strategic date, instead of estimating the actual, real date of Christ's birth ( exact date unknown, just the time of year ). So it was politically motivated. Church politics.

Or you like to tell all Christians not to have fun at Christmas because you don't like to celebrate the golden age under the god Saturn - the god of sowing - at the 17h of december for one week.

The simple fact: We don't know why we celebrate the Christmas season "birth of the Christ" from the end of November up to the midth of January. It's a tradtition.

PS. Within this Christian tradition it's by the way plausible to set the birth of Jesus at the 25th of December - not because of 25th of December but because of 25th of March. See what Julius Africanus wrote in the end of 2nd/begin of 3rd century.

Last edited:
I find this piece interesting and tellworthy, because nowadays many denie the christian roots of Christmas they just equal it with ancient pagan roots, and consumerism. They want to erase the Christ out of Christmas. Many just say "But Christmas is pagan not Christian."

Read Catholic Roots of Christmas

Catholic Roots of Christmas
December 19, 2020
Christmas honors the pivotal day which altered all of history. Christians around the world celebrate Christmas as the birthday of Christ Jesus. On this day, God Incarnate departed the hidden tabernacle of Mary’s womb into the blissful embrace of His mother’s arms. And she, in turn, presented this unblemished child, this Divine Gift, to all the world that we might adore Him as “Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace” (Isaiah 9:6).

catholicrootsofchristmas.jpg

As with any child’s arrival, there are many preparations to be made before welcoming the new family member; an expecting family gathers bathing items, blankets, and a collection of cozy outfits. Faithful members of the Catholic Christian family prepare for Christ’s coming by observing the season of Advent.

Advent is a time of joyful anticipation in which the faithful prepare their hearts for the most special arrival of the Divine Infant. Formally introduced by the Council of Tours in 567 AD, the Advent season begins four Sundays prior to Christmas Day. This period provides a precursor to the special holy day when the Light of the World shines amidst the darkness, the Sign of Hope dispels all despair.

One Catholic tradition orienting believers toward Christ’s coming is the Nativity Scene. This practice harkens back to Medieval times when in 1223, St. Francis of Assisi directed a live nativity scene as a form of public remembrance honoring Christ’s birth. St. Francis wanted to bring the Gospels to life, assigning parts for Mary, Joseph, the shepherds, and others so that in witnessing this reenactment, all people would learn the extraordinary story of God’s love for mankind. Often the nativity creche remains empty until Christmas Eve as a reminder that the faithful eagerly await the Christ child. And when the Divine Infant arrives, how much greater is the joy during the Christmas vigil when Baby Jesus joins the Holy Family and all humanity!

When the faithful prepare their hearts properly, the blessings of Christmas may be appreciated in full. “We Christians are called to safeguard and spread the joy of waiting,” Pope Francis declared in a Vatican address. Additionally, much as the faithful await Christ’s birth in remembrance of the first Christmas, the Catholic liturgical readings point the faithful toward awaiting Christ’s ultimate return upon Judgement Day.

According to Catholic tradition, the rejoicing of Christ’s coming lasts considerably longer than one great day. Rather, it stretches from the Christmas vigil Mass until the Feast of the Epiphany, sometimes called Three Kings’ Day.

Why did the Church choose to celebrate Christ’s birth on December 25? The most direct answer is that according to the Roman calendar, this day marked the winter solstice. Saint Augustine explained the significance of this day in remembering Christ’s coming, writing, “on the day which is the shortest in our earthly reckoning and from which subsequent days begin to increase in length. He, therefore, who bent low and lifted us up chose the shortest day, yet the one whence light begins to increase.”

The most excellent Catholic tradition of celebrating Christmas as a family is attending Holy Mass together. Even young adults who may have strayed from observing other tenets of their Catholic faith will often return to Mass with their families in order to observe the sacred Feast of the Nativity.

Christmas is a rare time when the Mass readings differ according to the order in which the Mass is offered. There are four distinct Christmas Masses. The Vigil Mass is offered at the start of Christmas Eve. The Mass of the angels is a popular celebration, offered at midnight. The Dawn Mass is called the Mass of the Shepherds; it is offered early morning. Finally, on Christmas Day, the priest offers the Mass of the Divine Word.

The Christmas octave is punctuated with a feast that originally honored Christ’s circumcision. In present times, the Catholic Church commemorates the first day of the year as the Feast of Mary, Mother of God. This holy day respects Mary’s unique human privilege of forming Christ physically and spiritually before releasing Him into the world to fulfill His divine salvific work.

The end of the Christmas season points toward this extraordinary mission for which God entered the world. According to Catholic tradition, the Magi, called the Three Kings, spent 12 days following a star. The brilliant star led them to Bethlehem, where Jesus had just been born. The Wise Men—Melchior, Caspar, and Balthazar—presented three symbolic gifts to the Holy Family for their newborn son. The kings presented to the Divine Child gold to honor His kingship, frankincense to honor His priesthood, and myrrh to honor His humanity.

Many families around the world present gifts to one another either in celebration of Christmas Day or in commemoration of the Three Kings. The faithful fulfill the Christmas spirit when offering their own hearts to the Divine Messiah who humbled Himself to enter the world as a small child.

Article written by Myriah C. Boudreaux for Christian Catholic Media

Myriah C. Boudreaux graduated from Franciscan University of Steubenville with a BA in Psychology. Soon after, she left her native Southern California home to marry a FUS alumnus, start a family, settle in Bayou Country with her Cajun husband, and begin a career homeschooling their ever-growing family. With seven children ranging from ages 21 – 2, her practical understanding of Heavenly Father's patience, love, and mercy is continually expanding.
No it's Baal's birthday and story remasked thus father and son are called, 1 because it's the same myth repackaged.
09b9646aed142fba04245ee770130aee.jpg

Sorry I confused Saturn with Jupiter you think the Romans would have the biggest celebration around the biggest

I don't know the Roman gods very well - I always used the ancient Greek culture and Greek gods in my life when I thought about such "problems". Saturn is in this case Chronos. Uranos (the firmament) had together with Gaia (mother Earth) many descendents but he hated them all so they came into the Tartaros (the underworld). This made Uranos happy but made Gaia angry and so she made Adamas (the grey steel, the invincible) and made with it a big sickle. Only the titan Chronos overtook her job to fight against Uranos. He emasculated with this sickle Uranos and overtook the world rulership - called "the golden time". But Uranos had cursed him he will also fall by the machinations of one of his children and so it happened and Zeus overtook the world rulership.

God they did not saturnalia was the biggest religious celebration and it was from December 17th to the 25th. Maybe that was why Saint Julius the first in the late 330's CE declared December 25th., Christ born in Bethlehem, Judea.

A misinterpretation. He declared December the 25th to the celebration day of the birth of Christ - what doesn't mean this is the real birthday. That's only an administrative act. The reason is to have everywhere the same holidays. ... By the way: Is this the oldest administrative act in the world which never had been changed? ...

It's by the way interesting that we Germans start to celebrate in the evening of the 24th of December. I thought this had been a result of the impatience of our children (they got presents and the adults started on their long way to the midnight celebrations) - but last year I found out this corresponds also with the old Jewish tradition where the day begins in the evening. Then the evening of the 24th is indeed the begin of the 25th.

Last edited:
1 week - keeps the problem that the pagan Romans did not think in the Jewish time structure "week". So it's perhaps a "myth" what you believe in.

Or not.

no comment
You are arguing with historical facts, not me. Good luck with that. You can't change history.

You are arguing with historical facts, not me. Good luck with that. You can't change history.
?

The date "25th of December" is for Christians absolutelly unimportant. The only thing which is important for Christians is to celebrate Christmas together. You are really a victim of brainwashing propaganda - and you are very bad in making a difference between belief and knowledge. And you are not half as intelligent as I know some people who are Christians.

So I would say your stand is a stand on thin ice. But when whatever ice will break - fortunatelly no one is able to fall deeper than in the hands of the Lord. For me a comforting thought. Happy advent season.

Last edited:
I find this piece interesting and tellworthy, because nowadays many denie the christian roots of Christmas they just equal it with ancient pagan roots, and consumerism. They want to erase the Christ out of Christmas. Many just say "But Christmas is pagan not Christian."

December 19, 2020
Christmas honors the pivotal day which altered all of history. Christians around the world celebrate Christmas as the birthday of Christ Jesus. On this day, God Incarnate departed the hidden tabernacle of Mary’s womb into the blissful embrace of His mother’s arms. And she, in turn, presented this unblemished child, this Divine Gift, to all the world that we might adore Him as “Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace” (Isaiah 9:6).

As with any child’s arrival, there are many preparations to be made before welcoming the new family member; an expecting family gathers bathing items, blankets, and a collection of cozy outfits. Faithful members of the Catholic Christian family prepare for Christ’s coming by observing the season of Advent.

Advent is a time of joyful anticipation in which the faithful prepare their hearts for the most special arrival of the Divine Infant. Formally introduced by the Council of Tours in 567 AD, the Advent season begins four Sundays prior to Christmas Day. This period provides a precursor to the special holy day when the Light of the World shines amidst the darkness, the Sign of Hope dispels all despair.

One Catholic tradition orienting believers toward Christ’s coming is the Nativity Scene. This practice harkens back to Medieval times when in 1223, St. Francis of Assisi directed a live nativity scene as a form of public remembrance honoring Christ’s birth. St. Francis wanted to bring the Gospels to life, assigning parts for Mary, Joseph, the shepherds, and others so that in witnessing this reenactment, all people would learn the extraordinary story of God’s love for mankind. Often the nativity creche remains empty until Christmas Eve as a reminder that the faithful eagerly await the Christ child. And when the Divine Infant arrives, how much greater is the joy during the Christmas vigil when Baby Jesus joins the Holy Family and all humanity!

When the faithful prepare their hearts properly, the blessings of Christmas may be appreciated in full. “We Christians are called to safeguard and spread the joy of waiting,” Pope Francis declared in a Vatican address. Additionally, much as the faithful await Christ’s birth in remembrance of the first Christmas, the Catholic liturgical readings point the faithful toward awaiting Christ’s ultimate return upon Judgement Day.

According to Catholic tradition, the rejoicing of Christ’s coming lasts considerably longer than one great day. Rather, it stretches from the Christmas vigil Mass until the Feast of the Epiphany, sometimes called Three Kings’ Day.

Why did the Church choose to celebrate Christ’s birth on December 25? The most direct answer is that according to the Roman calendar, this day marked the winter solstice. Saint Augustine explained the significance of this day in remembering Christ’s coming, writing, “on the day which is the shortest in our earthly reckoning and from which subsequent days begin to increase in length. He, therefore, who bent low and lifted us up chose the shortest day, yet the one whence light begins to increase.”

The most excellent Catholic tradition of celebrating Christmas as a family is attending Holy Mass together. Even young adults who may have strayed from observing other tenets of their Catholic faith will often return to Mass with their families in order to observe the sacred Feast of the Nativity.

Christmas is a rare time when the Mass readings differ according to the order in which the Mass is offered. There are four distinct Christmas Masses. The Vigil Mass is offered at the start of Christmas Eve. The Mass of the angels is a popular celebration, offered at midnight. The Dawn Mass is called the Mass of the Shepherds; it is offered early morning. Finally, on Christmas Day, the priest offers the Mass of the Divine Word.

The Christmas octave is punctuated with a feast that originally honored Christ’s circumcision. In present times, the Catholic Church commemorates the first day of the year as the Feast of Mary, Mother of God. This holy day respects Mary’s unique human privilege of forming Christ physically and spiritually before releasing Him into the world to fulfill His divine salvific work.

The end of the Christmas season points toward this extraordinary mission for which God entered the world. According to Catholic tradition, the Magi, called the Three Kings, spent 12 days following a star. The brilliant star led them to Bethlehem, where Jesus had just been born. The Wise Men—Melchior, Caspar, and Balthazar—presented three symbolic gifts to the Holy Family for their newborn son. The kings presented to the Divine Child gold to honor His kingship, frankincense to honor His priesthood, and myrrh to honor His humanity.

Many families around the world present gifts to one another either in celebration of Christmas Day or in commemoration of the Three Kings. The faithful fulfill the Christmas spirit when offering their own hearts to the Divine Messiah who humbled Himself to enter the world as a small child.

Myriah C. Boudreaux graduated from Franciscan University of Steubenville with a BA in Psychology. Soon after, she left her native Southern California home to marry a FUS alumnus, start a family, settle in Bayou Country with her Cajun husband, and begin a career homeschooling their ever-growing family. With seven children ranging from ages 21 – 2, her practical understanding of Heavenly Father's patience, love, and mercy is continually expanding.
sigh

always this difference made btw Catholic and Christian

the Catholics "invented" Christianity, as it were... Luther caused the division in the 16th century... he was a heretic but that is forgotten these days...

he is probably frying in Hell for dividing Christians and speaking heresy

But that is forgotten these days...

anyhow, i am responding to the title of your thread not the content which i have yet to read... not much time for i-net

No the Jews did according to the scriptures. Judaism is a pagan religion.
I do. You wouldn't have Christianity with the Roman Catholic Church.
Wrong again SHERI
Your “ church “ ( if you belong” teaches Jesus was Jewish . Doesn’t your “ church “ teach that G-D sent his ONLY son down to die for our sins?? So what’s your problem? I agree with you about the Romans being responsible for Christianity. They killed him

Wrong again SHERI
Your “ church “ ( if you belong” teaches Jesus was Jewish . Doesn’t your “ church “ teach that G-D sent his ONLY son down to die for our sins?? So what’s your problem? I agree with you about the Romans being responsible for Christianity. They killed him
There is no god, thanks to the Romans we have Xmas.

Here we go .. The Holocaust denier SHERI . Unless you believe what she allegedly believes in, you are a pagan
Nice “ Christian” family teaching
Fact, Judaism is a pagan religion, many lands had their gods.

There is no god, thanks to the Romans we have Xmas.

You believe "there is no god" - but you believe also not to believe. So you have not any criterion to make a difference between fantasy and reality - or between truth and opinion. You follow an ideology without being able to say what are the plausible elements of this ideology.

Last edited:
sigh

always this difference made btw Catholic and Christian

the Catholics "invented" Christianity, as it were... Luther caused the division in the 16th century... he was a heretic but that is forgotten these days...

he is probably frying in Hell for dividing Christians and speaking heresy

But that is forgotten these days...

anyhow, i am responding to the title of your thread not the content which i have yet to read... not much time for i-net

Keeps the "problem" that the belief of Luther is nearly the same belief of the most Catholics in Germany today.

December 19, 2020

Christmas was borrowed from the ancient Roman holiday Brumalia. They allowed the pagan winter festival because most self professed christian converts refuse to give up their old pagan ways and obey GOD'S Sabbath and Holy Days.

This is why the Great COUNTERFEIT Church, founded by Simon the Sorcerer, is called the Great Whore in the Bible.

They've incorporated PAGAN ritual and holidays to "honor" Jesus Christ.

Christianity never defeated Rome. Satan's Roman Empire continues on in the form of that Church, built on 7 hills

But there is no good reason why everyone in the country should not celebrate a holiday on December 25th, and only a certified wanker would be offended by being wished a "Merry/Happy Christmas."
Never realized you had nazi tendencies

Forum List

Back