Is Home-Schooling a Fundamental Right?

Not all, not even a little bit. No, they "are [not] better able to reason and integrate socially and academically into the mainstream." Many of them have trouble socializing and many of them have trouble integrating evidence that counters what they learned at home.

To say otherwise merely reveals a no-information home educator.

Home-Schooled Teens Ripe for College
Myths about unsocialized home-schoolers are false, and most are well prepped for college, experts say.

A Google for more of the same~

Not hard numbers.

What the fuck would be a "hard number?"

What in the article are you babbling about?

More than 2 million U.S. students in grades K-12 were home-schooled in 2010, accounting for nearly 4 percent of all school-aged children, according to the National Home Education Research Institute.

Last edited:
anyone who home schools a child should be willing to have the child tested periodically to show the child is NOT being harmed by inability of the teacher or false information being given the child.

To teach a child LIES about the world IS child abuse no matter who does it.

My DIL has her kids tested through the school....
The kids are passing with high grades....
Why would my DIL give her kids FALSE information? And what is the false information you're talking about? Does it have to do with religion? That's their choice....and it's not lies. Because you don't believe doesn't make it not true. That's your "opinion", not fact.

More than 2 million U.S. students in grades K-12 were home-schooled in 2010, accounting for nearly 4 percent of all school-aged children, according to the National Home Education Research Institute.

Show us the studies and findings from peer educators that home schooling was poorer, as good, or better than public schooling.

I sat on a school board for a number of years, I was a president of a school board, and I know what I am talking about. Home schooling is good for some, so so for others, and not good for others. You have nothing to contradict what I witnessed.

Not hard numbers.

Show us the studies and findings from peer educators that home schooling was poorer, as good, or better than public schooling.

I sat on a school board for a number of years, I was a president of a school board, and I know what I am talking about. Home schooling is good for some, so so for others, and not good for others. You have nothing to contradict what I witnessed.

What a buffoon..

You have never met statistician that uses fractions? Do you understand what fractions are?

Do you understand that this all started because I challenged the idea that every teacher in school tells the kids who are learning about least common denominators that they will need it in life? No one uses those except carpenters who ignore the metric system. Every day math is in decimals, no one needs to know how to add fractions, the only reason we teach it is because that is what they taught when grandad was in school.

Well you were wrong, your point?

I wasn't wrong, you are, you just don't understand the point.

What a buffoon..
:lol: Yes, you are. You project often, you know,

Not hard numbers.

No, in fact, I agree with what you have witnessed.

But I do not agree with simply dismissing the numbers given in the article because they are not "hard numbers" from "peer educators." Where the fuck would anyone get that? Maybe on Planet Jakey they have objective studies completed by the public school about home schooling?

Even if I did travel to Planet Jakey and find such a study, no doubt that you'd ignore those results favoring your own dogma.

Do you have the right to decide that you don't think your children should go to school, or that they shouldn't be homeschooled in accordance with your state law?

Do you have that right?

I have the right to pick one or the other.

Truancy Law holds me accountable for doing this. A number of other laws exist to ensure that parents take more responsibility for their children than the average turtle.

Which confirms what I said. You don't have the right to decide what's best for your children. You have the right to pick from the options your government has decided will be legally available to you.

I also have the right to make my own choices if I disagree with the ones your government imposes on me. The absolute proof if this is that, even in states that outlaw homeschooling, parents have never lost a court case to defend their right to home school.

Which confirms what I said. You don't have the right to decide what's best for your children. You have the right to pick from the options your government has decided will be legally available to you.

The whole point of this discussion is whether the government will be given the ability to dictate what options you will have. There is even room to discuss whether the government can mandate compulsory education at all. But if we allow that to be the national policy, and the social contract seems to be okay with that, how can we embrace both freedom AND a government that will dictate how and what and where our children will be taught and give the parents no say whatsoever in that?

Why should the policy not be that children will have the opportunity to be exposed to X amount of education in X subjects, and leave it to the parents of those children to determine how that will be accomplished?

Would that not better meet the spirit of the Constitution that intended the people to be free and out from under the thumb and dictates of an authoritarian government?

Would you like to know what the Supreme Court has said on the matter, or is that irrelevant to you?

I do know, and will state categorically that not only is it completely irrelevant me, it is irrelevant to the conversation.

Do you understand that this all started because I challenged the idea that every teacher in school tells the kids who are learning about least common denominators that they will need it in life? No one uses those except carpenters who ignore the metric system. Every day math is in decimals, no one needs to know how to add fractions, the only reason we teach it is because that is what they taught when grandad was in school.

Well you were wrong, your point?

I wasn't wrong, you are, you just don't understand the point.

Fractions.jpeg

SCOTUS is never irrelevant and to suggest so is silly.

We all live in the social compact, are bound by how our We the People legislatures determine that compact, and should try to influence that compact by electing good legislators.

Our moral and ethical duty to our children does not automatically translate into the legal duty prescribed by the law. All we can do is try to influence the law making of public education.

Try selling that to the guy that lives in China, my guess is he won't believe you either.

Would you like to know what the Supreme Court has said on the matter, or is that irrelevant to you?

Absolutely irrelevent as far as the subject of individual liberties is concerned. SCOTUS has gotten it wrong many times in the past, and we too often have had justices who didn't understand the Constitutional principles of freedom the Founders intended for this country.

The Founders intended the federal government to secure our unalienable rights and enforce just enough laws and regulation necessary to do that. Then they intended that the federal government would leave us strictly alone to live our lives and form whatever sort of societies we wished to have. That was their definition of freedom.

Whether you are an American conservative or liberal all comes down to whether you believe government dictates how you will live your life to better advantage than you would choose for yourself or whether you are capable of making your own choices, spending your own money, and living your own life as you choose; i.e. whether you choose to be governed or you choose to be free.

To say the SCOTUS is irrelevant is to say the Constitution is irrelevant, because the Supreme Court is the constitutional method by which it is determined what the Constitution means,

at such times as there arises a legal dispute over the Constitution's meaning.

To claim that there is no way to determine the Constitution's meaning is to effectively render the Constitution meaningless.

Why do people who have no idea how the government works set themselves up as experts on how the government works? Tell me something, if the Supreme Court is the only way to determine what the Constitution means why is their jurisdiction limited by the Constitution?

Samson, you should agree with me, because the facts are fairly clear.

If the findings, overall, were that Home Schooling was Great or Bad or In Between, I would accept that.

Because we don't have such studies, all I can rely on is what I witnessed for a number of years for a multi-demographic ISD of almost 5,000 students. Some of the home schooled that came into the system did well, but most had socialization problems from minor to major. The teachers repeatedly said that critically thinking was an issue for them, as it was for many of the public school students.

If the findings, overall, were that Home Schooling was Great or Bad or In Between, I would accept that.

Because we don't have such studies, all I can rely on is what I witnessed for a number of years for a multi-demographic ISD of almost 5,000 students. Some of the home schooled that came into the system did well, but most had socialization problems from minor to major. The teachers repeatedly said that critically thinking was an issue for them, as it was for many of the public school students.

Here is the link to the numbers cited in the USA Today Article:

http://i.bnet.com/blogs/homeschool.pdf

These are the datum that support the article's statement that:

Students coming from a home school graduated college at a higher rate than their peers*—66.7 percent compared to 57.5 percent—and earned higher grade point averages along the way, according to a study that compared students at one doctoral university from 2004-2009

Last edited:
Absolutely irrelevent as far as the subject of individual liberties is concerned. SCOTUS has gotten it wrong many times in the past, and we too often have had justices who didn't understand the Constitutional principles of freedom the Founders intended for this country.

The Founders intended the federal government to secure our unalienable rights and enforce just enough laws and regulation necessary to do that. Then they intended that the federal government would leave us strictly alone to live our lives and form whatever sort of societies we wished to have. That was their definition of freedom.

Whether you are an American conservative or liberal all comes down to whether you believe government dictates how you will live your life to better advantage than you would choose for yourself or whether you are capable of making your own choices, spending your own money, and living your own life as you choose; i.e. whether you choose to be governed or you choose to be free.

To say the SCOTUS is irrelevant is to say the Constitution is irrelevant, because the Supreme Court is the constitutional method by which it is determined what the Constitution means,

at such times as there arises a legal dispute over the Constitution's meaning.

To claim that there is no way to determine the Constitution's meaning is to effectively render the Constitution meaningless.

Why do people who have no idea how the government works set themselves up as experts on how the government works? Tell me something, if the Supreme Court is the only way to determine what the Constitution means why is their jurisdiction limited by the Constitution?

Uh oh.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG0ochx16Dg]Does Not Compute![/ame]

How is that a lie?

The only people on the entire fracking planet that use fractions for anything are carpenters that don't use the metric system.

Anyone who studies and/or uses higher math, such as algebra, trig, etc. use fractions all of the time. And, since most engineering disciplines are learned through higher math, many people use fractions on a regular basis.

The primary purpose of a public school education is to equip future adults with the ability to learn on their own. That means reading, writing and arithmetic. Fractions are an important part of arithmetic

Not true. If you use higher math, and need to add 17/56 and 128/351 you do not go through a laborious process to find the LCD, you simply complete the the operation in the normal precedence and do the higher order division first, then you add them together. Working with fractions means you don't finish the math.

Here is the link to the numbers cited in the USA Today Article:

http://i.bnet.com/blogs/homeschool.pdf

These are the datum that support the article's statement that:

Students coming from a home school graduated college at a higher rate than their peers*—66.7 percent compared to 57.5 percent—and earned higher grade point averages along the way, according to a study that compared students at one doctoral university from 2004-2009

Thank you. I imagine (but I do not have the data) that many of those home schooled college graduates went to the reactionary evangelical and fundamentalist bush league institutions called colleges and universities. They are screwy as the far left liberal colleges.

I never said I don't understand them, I said they are useless and archaic.

They are useless?
Oh! This keeps getting better and better.
I have to go. I can't handle this much stupidity right now. Lol

Useless.

I can guarantee that anything you think you need fractions for can be done without them.

Want to take it to the bullpen and see if you can prove me wrong?

Problem: E=IR, Solve for "I" without using a fraction. Answer: I=E/R

For your information, a fraction is nothing more than an indication of division. It indicates that the denominator is divided into the numerator. One cannot do higher math without using complex fractions, and one cannot learn any engineering skill without knowing higher math.

Forum List

Back