Is Home-Schooling a Fundamental Right?

and millions upon millions more who were just as or more important who were public schooled.

not millions upon millions- total exaggeration. But i digress, the point is that home educated kids are not lacking, and indeed, are often better able to reason and integrate socially and academically into mainstream. This is due to most home educators choosing classical curriculum that includes latin as well as logic courses- and their central socializing being with all age groups making them much more social and communicative.

not all, not even a little bit. No, they "are [not] better able to reason and integrate socially and academically into the mainstream." many of them have trouble socializing and many of them have trouble integrating evidence that counters what they learned at home.

To say otherwise merely reveals a no-information home educator.
link ?

not millions upon millions- total exaggeration. But i digress, the point is that home educated kids are not lacking, and indeed, are often better able to reason and integrate socially and academically into mainstream. This is due to most home educators choosing classical curriculum that includes latin as well as logic courses- and their central socializing being with all age groups making them much more social and communicative.

not all, not even a little bit. No, they "are [not] better able to reason and integrate socially and academically into the mainstream." many of them have trouble socializing and many of them have trouble integrating evidence that counters what they learned at home.

link ?

That's just it, eots: it is your affirmation to prove, and you don't have the facts.

Thank you for showing us this.

HSLDA | Socialization: Homeschoolers Are in the Real World

In fact, one researcher stated, "The investigator was not prepared for the level of commitment exhibited by the parents in getting the child to various activities It appeared that these students are involved in more social activities, whether by design or being with the parent in various situations, than the average middle school-aged child."1

What about the lie that fractions will help you in life?

How is that a lie?

The only people on the entire fracking planet that use fractions for anything are carpenters that don't use the metric system.

Anyone who studies and/or uses higher math, such as algebra, trig, etc. use fractions all of the time. And, since most engineering disciplines are learned through higher math, many people use fractions on a regular basis.

The primary purpose of a public school education is to equip future adults with the ability to learn on their own. That means reading, writing and arithmetic. Fractions are an important part of arithmetic

You also read more into the post than was there. I am not against home schooling , unless it is not done period. There is no way you can say that all children being home schooled are being schooled.
Personally, I know a few couples that home school their children, which is fine, and they do a very wonderful job. It is those that use home schooling for another means.
Who do you suppose is responsible for the drop outs. You need to read the statutes on the books in your community and then check to see how much influence the school district and the legal system has in making sure students go to school.
Then get back to me.

Home schooling is a very complicated subject to debate.
Is homeschooling credible? Certainly it is when it is done in a correct manner and if it is diligently performed by those in charge.
If it is done in a half-hearten manner the ones that suffer are, of course the children.
Who holds the Homeschooling Association to credentials? Do you feel it is necessary to make them be accountable for the education of their children?
Public educators are held to a standard, so why should not the home educators.

All things are credible, if they are done in a correct manner and diligently performed.

To be held to a standard, the people who fail to meet the standard must be held accountable. Who is being held accountable in the public schools? Who is being held accountable for 40% drop out rates in some public schools? What happens to the education of those dropouts?

Address your concerns to the real problems and leave other parents alone to decide what is the best course for their children.

In Alaska, a good percentage of children receive their lessons through radio, TV, or the internet, and are tutored by their parents. Year after year, these students score higher on the end of year tests than their counterparts who attend public schools. Parents are not the problem.

The vast majority of school dropouts are for the simple reason that the student could no longer understand the classwork. They are so deficient in the basics, that they cannot grasp the subject material. The inability to read adequately, or to compute adequately, or to put their answers on paper adequately, have handicapped them for life. The public school system failed them in their earlier years.

Several years back, I was visiting Grand Junction, Colorado, a small city in the heartland. On local TV, the superintendent of Mesa County schools, was stating how proud he was that 76% of the third graders could read at grade level. Did the ass even realize that he was failing one fourth of his charges in the third grade?

Erand7899 said:
Several years back, I was visiting Grand Junction, Colorado, a small city in the heartland. On local TV, the superintendent of Mesa County schools, was stating how proud he was that 76% of the third graders could read at grade level. Did the ass even realize that he was failing one fourth of his charges in the third grade?

A teacher friend of mine wrote, I and my teacher colleagues have no problem being "accountable," as long as you account for the number of special education students in our classes, students with chronic absences, students who move in, move out, don’t speak the language fluently, or any number of other reasons affecting student performance. . . .

The teachers I work with put in an average of two hours or more outside of their contract time every day. We must complete 100 hours of professional development for relicensure. We are observed and evaluated at least yearly.

Teachers are not the problem. They are the primary reason that things are not much worse

Parents that don't care are why matters are so bad, not the teachers.

Last edited:
How is that a lie?

The only people on the entire fracking planet that use fractions for anything are carpenters that don't use the metric system.

Anyone who studies and/or uses higher math, such as algebra, trig, etc. use fractions all of the time. And, since most engineering disciplines are learned through higher math, many people use fractions on a regular basis.

The primary purpose of a public school education is to equip future adults with the ability to learn on their own. That means reading, writing and arithmetic. Fractions are an important part of arithmetic

Everybody doesn't necessarily NEED to know the more complicated aspects of complex fractions, but everybody really does need to know the basic concepts of 1/3, 1/2, 3/4ths, 2/5ths etc. and be able to cognitantly visualize these in perspective. Oherwise concepts of ratios and such is lost on them in news reporting, recipes, patterns, and so many other things in our everybody lives.

tell me which post you got my feelings on home schooling from?

This one, in which you responded to the OP:

"every child has a right to learn about the world.

Its child abuse to teach them lies"

that says not one word about home schooling huh you nutter

The OP is about homeschooling....THIS was your response! So you're saying if kids are homeschooled they're taught lies. If this isn't what you meant then you need to clarify your position or you're just a liar.....

link ?

That's just it, eots: it is your affirmation to prove, and you don't have the facts.

Great.

Now he'll fill the tread with youtube vids that may have nothing to do with the topic.

Erand7899 said:

A teacher friend of mine wrote, I and my teacher colleagues have no problem being "accountable," as long as you account for the number of special education students in our classes, students with chronic absences, students who move in, move out, don’t speak the language fluently, or any number of other reasons affecting student performance. . . .

The teachers I work with put in an average of two hours or more outside of their contract time every day. We must complete 100 hours of professional development for relicensure. We are observed and evaluated at least yearly.

Teachers are not the problem. They are the primary reason that things are not much worse

Parents that don't care are why matters are so bad, not the teachers.

Irony

link ?

that's just it, eots: It is your affirmation to prove, and you don't have the facts.

whats my affirmation to prove ?..I made no affirmation ...you did

Absolutely irrelevent as far as the subject of individual liberties is concerned. SCOTUS has gotten it wrong many times in the past, and we too often have had justices who didn't understand the Constitutional principles of freedom the Founders intended for this country.

The Founders intended the federal government to secure our unalienable rights and enforce just enough laws and regulation necessary to do that. Then they intended that the federal government would leave us strictly alone to live our lives and form whatever sort of societies we wished to have. That was their definition of freedom.

Whether you are an American conservative or liberal all comes down to whether you believe government dictates how you will live your life to better advantage than you would choose for yourself or whether you are capable of making your own choices, spending your own money, and living your own life as you choose; i.e. whether you choose to be governed or you choose to be free.

To say the SCOTUS is irrelevant is to say the Constitution is irrelevant, because the Supreme Court is the constitutional method by which it is determined what the Constitution means,

at such times as there arises a legal dispute over the Constitution's meaning.

To claim that there is no way to determine the Constitution's meaning is to effectively render the Constitution meaningless.

I did not say the SCOTUS was irrelevent. I said the opinion of SCOTUS was irrelevent to know/determine/discern what individual liberty is.

Do you look to SCOTUS or any other government entity to assign you your personal values? If so, you'll fit right in if we continue down this path toward throwing out entirely the Founders' intent that we be a free people. And the alternative is a government that will assign us the rights that we will have.

A government that can assign us the rights we will have is a government that can do anything to us it wants to do.

Now you're lying about what you said:

You said this:

The whole point of this discussion is whether the government will be given the ability to dictate what options you will have.

which means you were talking about the LAW.

I reference SCOTUS, which IS the LAW, and you said it was irrelevant.

You will find out how relevant SCOTUS and the law are if you decide to to break the law asserting what you think is an individual right...

...but the court doesn't.

that is your whole right wing problem

Your party out right denies FACTS to hold your crazy stupid opinions

So you get to determine what the facts are?

Is the earth round?

:disbelief:

Rhetorical Question or Not?

With TM you never know, but my guess is not, so;

TM: the earth is basically spherically shaped.

th

that's just it, eots: It is your affirmation to prove, and you don't have the facts.

You sure did. Go back and read what you posted about private schooling doing such and such.

I asked for the facts. I am still asking for the facts, the numbers, the proof.

That affirmation is yours, or are you as screwed up on this as you are on your conspiracy theories?

It was a question and not a command.

I know you didnt respond because then you would have to give FACTS that show you believe in the factual basis of sceince.

hate sceince

What you wrote was this:

document your claim with facts

Please note the lack of a question mark which normally follows a question... for example:

What are "Rgith wingers "?

Technically, there wouldnt be a question mark because what she wrote isnt a question. It's a command. Of course, a period would be appropriate. A Capital letter to start the sentence too. But she hasn't ever cared for grammar formalities. Most of us have weaknesses there, hers are just more frequent and obvious.

And she says she taught her kid to read at 4 yrs old! Lol! Poor kid!!

You sure did. Go back and read what you posted about private schooling doing such and such.

That affirmation is yours, or are you as screwed up on this as you are on your conspiracy theories?

I'm guessing that once again you never linked to the article.

At any rate, it is an article from US Today, an admittedly dubious source. It does contain numbers. I'm not sure what you mean by "hard" numbers. I am sure that you have offered nothing to refute the numbers cited in the article.

Doubly sad, is your inability to hold your own against as big a moron as eots.

Last edited:

I'm guessing that once again you never linked to the OP.

At any rate, it is an article from US Today, an admittedly dubious source. It does contain numbers. I'm not sure what you mean by "hard" numbers. I am sure that you have offered nothing to refute the numbers cited in the article.

Doubly sad, is your inability to hold your own against as big a moron as eots.

The sadness is yours, my friend, that a newspaper is in fact not hard numbers. I have to refute nothing until there is something to refute other than yours or eots' silly opinions.

Sorry chump but there is no such post where I said anything about private schools..you are the one that screwed up hence the need to resort to red herrings

eots, you have to do better than that, kiddo. Are you one of those who think the gubmint dropped the towers? If so, your cred is not stellar.

Where are the numbers?

Forum List

Back