Is Home-Schooling a Fundamental Right?

And millions upon millions more who were just as or more important who were public schooled.

Not millions upon millions- total exaggeration. But I digress, the point IS that home educated kids are not lacking, and indeed, are often better able to reason and integrate socially and academically into mainstream. This is due to most home educators choosing Classical curriculum that includes Latin as well as logic courses- and their central socializing being with all age groups making them much more social and communicative.

Not all, not even a little bit. No, they "are [not] better able to reason and integrate socially and academically into the mainstream." Many of them have trouble socializing and many of them have trouble integrating evidence that counters what they learned at home.

To say otherwise merely reveals a no-information home educator.

Home-Schooled Teens Ripe for College
Myths about unsocialized home-schoolers are false, and most are well prepped for college, experts say.

A Google for more of the same~

Just out of curiosity, where is the Constitutional right of the state to force feed our children an education?

The government doesn't care about the Constitution, all they care about is money. If your kid doesn't go to schoolthey don't get the money.

I would agree, I just wanted someone from the left to respond if they even have an answer.

Just out of curiosity, where is the Constitutional right of the state to force feed our children an education?

The government doesn't care about the Constitution, all they care about is money. If your kid doesn't go to schoolthey don't get the money.

Actually many STATE constitutions maintain the right of citizens to education.

However it is true that every year (often in October) principals will begin to worry about attendance $/student hoping to maximize whatever $$$ the school will receive from the STATE.

The Feds only give the school money based on Federal Programs, e.g. Title I (free and reduced lunches) and I.D.E.A. (special education).

Not millions upon millions- total exaggeration. But I digress, the point IS that home educated kids are not lacking, and indeed, are often better able to reason and integrate socially and academically into mainstream. This is due to most home educators choosing Classical curriculum that includes Latin as well as logic courses- and their central socializing being with all age groups making them much more social and communicative.

Not all, not even a little bit. No, they "are [not] better able to reason and integrate socially and academically into the mainstream." Many of them have trouble socializing and many of them have trouble integrating evidence that counters what they learned at home.

Myths about unsocialized home-schoolers are false, and most are well prepped for college, experts say.

Not hard numbers.

Would "more of the same" include the completely subjective opinions like;

They're also better socialized than most high school students, says Joe Kelly, an author and parenting expert who home-schooled his twin daughters.

Duh! Does anyone expect Joe to say anything else?

I've found many "studies" about the subject similarly subjective, but was astonished to find this blurb among the USA Today pablum:

Students coming from a home school graduated college at a higher rate than their peers*—66.7 percent compared to 57.5 percent—and earned higher grade point averages along the way, according to a study that compared students at one doctoral university from 2004-2009

Only 67% of home schooled kids graduate from college?

Last edited:

Not hard numbers.

:eusa_eh:

I'm not sure what's more impressive: The shallowness of your responses or their consistancy.

Try cutting a recipe into a third so you don't have to feed a meal for twenty to you and your wife. Or double a recipe to make four loaves of bread instead of two without using fractions.

You mean dividing by three

or multiplying by two?

I think I can handle it without fractions. Send me the recipe.

However it is true that every year (often in October) principals will begin to worry about attendance $/student hoping to maximize whatever $$$ the school will receive from the STATE.

The Feds only give the school money based on Federal Programs, e.g. Title I (free and reduced lunches) and I.D.E.A. (special education).

I will admit to a small degree of extreme hyperbolic exaggeration in my post.

Last edited:
So the people who the other day were insisting that owning and driving a car was not a fundamental right are now insisting that homeschooling is??

lol, funny stuff.

So the people who the other day were insisting that owning and driving a car was not a fundamental right are now insisting that homeschooling is??

lol, funny stuff.

Parents have the right to decide what's best for their children.

What do you care if someone else's kid is home schooled?

Bakers, carpenters, and architects in Europe do not use fractions, they have a nice easy metric system that is so simple even you can use it. As for accountants and and statisticians, I have never met any that ever use fractions for anything.

You have never met statistician that uses fractions? Do you understand what fractions are?

Do you understand that this all started because I challenged the idea that every teacher in school tells the kids who are learning about least common denominators that they will need it in life? No one uses those except carpenters who ignore the metric system. Every day math is in decimals, no one needs to know how to add fractions, the only reason we teach it is because that is what they taught when grandad was in school.

Well you were wrong, your point?

lol, funny stuff.

Parents have the right to decide what's best for their children.

What do you care if someone else's kid is home schooled?

No actually they don't.

:eusa_pray:

Hallaluleah.

Please send me the name and address of the responsible authority for my children so I may deliver them ASAP.

I will admit to s small degree of extreme hyperbolic exaggeration in my post.

Maybe a tad extreme, but only a tad.

The fact is, the ONLY reason for the government to resist allowing a voucher program is to make sure the government institution gets the money instead of some private or parochial school. They don't care that the private or parochial school is doing a better job of education. They don't want to hear it. They don't want to have to educate better so that they can compete with it for control of those tax dollars.

And the ONLY reason the government would oppose home schooling is a) they want the head count to merit more federal dollars - or - in the case of a federal government, they want control of those kids. They absolutely don't care whether the home schooled kid is getting a superior education.

So in that sense, government does not see the Constitution as a document allowing us freedom to do what we see is best for us when we are violating nobody else's rights. And government cares about its own power and control more than it cares about the kids.

I will admit to s small degree of extreme hyperbolic exaggeration in my post.

Maybe a tad extreme, but only a tad.

The fact is, the ONLY reason for the government to resist allowing a voucher program is to make sure the government institution gets the money instead of some private or parochial school. .

No, I'm afraid I disagree. Not that I'm pleased about it.......

The reason voucher systems may be "harmful" is in areas like, well, Albequerque, NM, and anywhere else there is a large disparity of wealth distribution between races. Essentially this includes every city in America.

It all has to do with HOW kids are TRANSPORTED to school once they are given vouchers.

Remember the voucher allows the parent to pay for all, or part of the school cost (tuition) but what about transportation? A bus cannot arrive at the neighborhood busstop, then leave to deposite kids at 50 different schools.

It is up to the parents to TRANSPORT the kid to school, which costs something. Whatever this cost is, it will represent much less a burden for rich parents than for poor parents. Thus, with vouchers, you have effectively segregated the "rich-kid" school, and horror-of-horrors, segregated them racially.

:eusa_hand:

Hey, I'm only the messenger.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back