Zone1 Is it time to stop capital punishment ?

You will always have these goodie two shoes who want to cure these murderers but they have never had a relative killed by one of these murderers. When they get put on death row they set there for at least 20 years. Every convicted murderer automatically has an appeal. Half these mass shooters do so without the fear of death. Do you want to feed and house them the rest of their lives? Ones wrongly convicted are convicted by police departments under pressure from citizens. An eye for an eye.

For which crimes would you extend the death penalty?

For myself, I would say that the death penalty is appropriate for…
  • Any and all instances of murder, except where significant mitigating circumstances apply.
    • Abortion—having any willing part in it.
  • Any instances of treason, which result in the loss of any American lives.
  • Serious or repeated crimes of violence and/or sexual abuse against children.
  • Serious or repeated offenses of corruption or abuses of power while in public office.
  • Being a knowing, willful accomplice or accessory to any of the above crimes.
  • A pattern of repeated criminal behavior, sufficient to demonstrate that the offender is unrehabilitatable, and unlikely to ever be able or willing to safely and peacefully live among human beings.

Some of the detail in the report is horrific.

Not least the number of innocent people who continue to be found guilty and the large number of people with mentaal health issues.

The system has been proven to be flawed and should now be consigned to history.Is there a moral reason why it is still retained ?
Do the bloody british have capital punishment?

I didnt know

Most of the civilized world has given up on it as has most US states

That's just not true.

Most of the people in the world are in nations that have the death penalty- including some of the longest lasting civilizations on the planet, China, India, Egypt.

Not least the number of innocent people who continue to be found guilty and the large number of people with mentaal health issues.

The system has been proven to be flawed and should now be consigned to history.Is there a moral reason why it is still retained ?

As far as "botched" executions, it isn't rocket science to accurately and efficiently deliver the death penalty.

I've always been against the idea of lethal injection as just too complex.

Moving toward the Green method of hanging miscreants or using the traditional hispanic method of the La Garotte is just a lot more sure.

Kick it up a notch. All appeals are limited to two years from the date of sentencing. Prisoner's choice of method.

Were those executions an inordinate amount of time compared to the deaths of their victims?

Bring back the guillotine, swift, and certain.

That's just not true.

Most of the people in the world are in nations that have the death penalty- including some of the longest lasting civilizations on the planet, China, India, Egypt.

Not good company when it come to human rights

China, India, the Muslim world……Is that the company we want to keep?

Kick it up a notch. All appeals are limited to two years from the date of sentencing. Prisoner's choice of method.

Were those executions an inordinate amount of time compared to the deaths of their victims?

I don't know what takes so long.

The fellow who allegedly shot up the synagogue in Pittsburgh hasn't even been tried yet and its been like 4 years?

The case doesn't look very complicated. I would have thought he'd be tried and executed by now in a reasonable world. Or- given a chance to explain how it wasn't him to the 12 angry men.

If he's innocent, its a miscarriage of justice , as well as if he is guilty.

As far as "botched" executions, it isn't rocket science to accurately and efficiently deliver the death penalty.

Moving toward the Green method of hanging miscreants or using the traditional hispanic method of the La Garotte is just a lot more sure.
Potassium and 100 U of Regular Insulin for Non Diabetics. What about Propofol ?

Moving toward the Green method of hanging miscreants or using the traditional hispanic [sic] method of the La Garotte is just a lot more sure.

I think of all the Amendments in the Constitution, the Eighth is the most poorly and unclearly-written and understood. The basic principle is clear and obvious enough, but not well expressed. I take it to mean that the punishment ought not be too much more severe than the crime for which it is imposed.

Certainly, for well after the Eighth Amendment was ratified, there are punishments that we, as a society, considered appropriate for certain crimes, which are now banned under modern interpretations of the Eighth Amendment, in many instances, to the detriment of what I take as the intent of this Amendment.

One clear example is the degree to which we have tried to require capital punishment out be carried out in as non-cruel a manner as we can devise, to the point that we've made it overly complicated, and subject to being “botched” in such a manner that a convicted subhuman murdering piece of shit is at risk of actually experiencing some discomfort in its final moments. Fuck that. I see no reason why we should be at all concerned that a murdering subhuman piece of shit, nor any other criminal, might suffer at least as much as it caused its victims to suffer.

Really, any effective punishment is “cruel”. If it wasn't, then it wouldn't be much of a punishment.

At this point, we are down to imprisonment, fines, and in extreme cases, death, as the only judicial punishments we have to employ. I'd very much like to see other punishments brought back or devised, that are less costly to society, less detrimental to the rehabilitatability of the offenders, and more fair.

Lock someone up in prison, who has committed one crime, and might have been saved, you destroy his life, his career, and his ability to return to society a a potentially-worthwhile citizen. Instead of locking him up in prison for months or years, how about letting him spend some weekends in a pillory or a stock, subject to great humiliation and discomfort. If he's employed, this could be done around his work schedule so that he doesn't have to have his employment adversely affected; and once he's served his time, he could go back to being as productive a citizen as he was before. Under modern interpretations of the Eighth, we cannot do this, because it's torture, because it's “cruel and unusual”, but is it really as cruel as a long-term prison term which destroys the offender's life, family, and career?

Fines, I have a big problem with, simply because their impact on an offender is directly and inversely proportional to the offender's wealth. A relatively poor person might be financially ruined by a fine that would have no noticeable impact on a wealthy person.

Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent. — Adam Smith​

I think of all the Amendments in the Constitution, the Eighth is the most poorly and unclearly-written and understood. The basic principle is clear and obvious enough, but not well expressed. I take it to mean that the punishment ought not be too much more severe than the crime for which it is imposed.

Certainly, for well after the Eighth Amendment was ratified, there are punishments that we, as a society, considered appropriate for certain crimes, which are now banned under modern interpretations of the Eighth Amendment, in many instances, to the detriment of what I take as the intent of this Amendment.

One clear example is the degree to which we have tried to require capital punishment out be carried out in as non-cruel a manner as we can devise, to the point that we've made it overly complicated, and subject to being “botched” in such a manner that a convicted subhuman murdering piece of shit is at risk of actually experiencing some discomfort in its final moments. Fuck that. I see no reason why we should be at all concerned that a murdering subhuman piece of shit, nor any other criminal, might suffer at least as much as it caused its victims to suffer.

Really, any effective punishment is “cruel”. If it wasn't, then it wouldn't be much of a punishment.

At this point, we are down to imprisonment, fines, and in extreme cases, death, as the only judicial punishments we have to employ. I'd very much like to see other punishments brought back or devised, that are less costly to society, less detrimental to the rehabilitatability of the offenders, and more fair.

Lock someone up in prison, who has committed one crime, and might have been saved, you destroy his life, his career, and his ability to return to society a a potentially-worthwhile citizen. Instead of locking him up in prison for months or years, how about letting him spend some weekends in a pillory or a stock, subject to great humiliation and discomfort. If he's employed, this could be done around his work schedule so that he doesn't have to have his employment adversely affected; and once he's served his time, he could go back to being as productive a citizen as he was before. Under modern interpretations of the Eighth, we cannot do this, because it's torture, because it's “cruel and unusual”, but is it really as cruel as a long-term prison term which destroys the offender's life, family, and career?

Fines, I have a big problem with, simply because their impact on an offender is directly and inversely proportional to the offender's wealth. A relatively poor person might be financially ruined by a fine that would have no noticeable impact on a wealthy person.

Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent. — Adam Smith​

IMHO, the 8th Amendment prohibits punishments like dismemberment, burning at the stake and drawing and/or quartering, which were all pretty prevalent during the time the Constitution was ratified.

Not the death penalty per se, like the guillotine, which was used extensively during that time in progressive France.

How about Murder? Please tell us why John Wayne Gacy among others shouldn’t have been executed or don’t deserve to be

Well, my opinion is this:

We have this guy in custody; he's not a threat to anyone if the corrections folks do their job right. What good does killing him do? Is he a threat to anyone? Does it "send a message" to other serial killers who are most likely sociopaths and are beyond help anyway???

Again, I posted this on another thread.

If we are going to have this death penalty....here is what should happen.

Each state should have an appellate court "system" (I don't know what to call it) for juries that hand down capital punishment as the sentence. Make it 3 seated judges from the supreme court picked at random. They won't hear any other cases in this court. Within 3 days of the sentence, the court convenes and has full access to any and all witnesses, any and all evidence, interviews with the convicted, the court judge, the prosecutor, the defense attorneys; their personal notes; the jury...everybody. They essentially re-litigate the case in the same way a coach watches a game film except they have access to the calls of the offense and defense. They go into it looking for any hint of prosecutorial misconduct, any hint of defense "oopses", any hint of jury prejudice....

If they find deficiencies; the execution order is stayed.

No major deficiencies ( I didn't say imperfections)....execution proceeds. No years of appeals, delays, legal maneuvers designed just to delay the carrying out of the sentence.

All of this could be wrapped up in 90 days or so.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Soviet method....The condemned never knew when the sentence would be carried out.

On the "big day" it was a 9mm Makarov round to the back of the noggin.....Wait for the dead person to bleed-out (each cell had a floor drain), tote the body away, then send in another prisoner to hose the cell down.

Done and done.
I like it.

I was for and am now against the death penalty because this country is too politically radicalized. They tried Zimmerman and had no case, the tried Rittenhouse and had no case. They convicted Flanks and he was innocent, they didn’t convict Simpson and he was guilty, they convicted Hastings and 38 years later he was exonerated.

If I felt the justice system was fair, then I am for the death penalty but we have flaws that allow politics to over ride common sense.

Forum List

Back