Is it wrong for Christian to preach at people who don't believe what they do?

Sometimes I just sit back and wonder, why is faith so bad? God forbid she decides to keep her unborn child instead of murder it. God forbid she lives her life refusing to run around screwing around so that she ether gets an STD or wishes she could have an abortion. Oh, and don't expect her to wind up in a crack house cuz that just not fashionable being a Christian and all. Really, your only concern should be is if some cult like entity who is pretending to represent Christ are actually there to brain wash her in some David Koresh like fashion so that they can abuse her sexually or take all her money. And yes, pretty much all churches I know make money as does everyone else I know in this world, but saying that they are only in it for the money is pretty horrible if not true.

So let's assume worse case scenario. They are in it for the money. How much money does she actually have? Being so young, my guess is next to none. Hopefully, if they are in it for the money she will get enough teaching to realize that the people who started her Christian faith were not in it for the money. In fact, every last one of them gave up their lives for their faith and died dirt poor. Then she will hopefully realize the true message that will continue to stop her from screwing around, doing drugs, or being so consumed with money that she doesn't give a damn about you or anyone else and wishes you would die so she might get an inheritance from you.
Faith is beautiful; just don't feel or express that others who have a different slant on faith are going to burn in some Eternal Lake of Fire for eternity.
Especially when there are billions of people in the last 1,000 years who had no chance in hell of ever getting the warning.

"...don't feel or express"???? screw you. Who are you to tell anybody what to feel?
Since you are commanded to shove your NT down my throat, I think you should as yourself that question.

You invited it by saying you knew the bible better than anybody and said you always had apt biblical truths on hand for when people shared the gospel with you.

Of course you're a liar, I'm not surprised.
I do know the Torah way better than you.
I also read the NT 6 times and not a page goes by referencing Tanach without an error.
It's embarrassing.

You said you knew the bible better, and always had an apt citation to put pesky evangelicals in their place.

So you're a liar. It is embarassing.

Based on?
All you have is a series of writings fraught with referential errors.
Plus over 1,000 years of illiteracy and slaughter.
I think Christians are as fine a people as any, but I have no need for a God, or a representative of God, that needs to threaten people with eternal hell for not paying attention; especially when the majority of mankind must go to eternal hell because they never had a chance to receive the good word.
Didn't "Paul" know there were billions of people that were incommunicado.
Hardly sounds like like the prolific author knew anything outside of his own region.
He failed Prophecy 1.1...don't say anything that sounds completely stupid.

Can you tell me where Paul said people were going to hell? (Doesn't sound like something Paul said, so I would like to review the context of the passage to which you are referencing.)
Meriweather, how are you?
How many times do I have to crush you?
Please stop boring me.
Learn Hebrew.
Read Tanach verse by verse and get back to me in a year.

Sometimes I just sit back and wonder, why is faith so bad? God forbid she decides to keep her unborn child instead of murder it. God forbid she lives her life refusing to run around screwing around so that she ether gets an STD or wishes she could have an abortion. Oh, and don't expect her to wind up in a crack house cuz that just not fashionable being a Christian and all. Really, your only concern should be is if some cult like entity who is pretending to represent Christ are actually there to brain wash her in some David Koresh like fashion so that they can abuse her sexually or take all her money. And yes, pretty much all churches I know make money as does everyone else I know in this world, but saying that they are only in it for the money is pretty horrible if not true.

So let's assume worse case scenario. They are in it for the money. How much money does she actually have? Being so young, my guess is next to none. Hopefully, if they are in it for the money she will get enough teaching to realize that the people who started her Christian faith were not in it for the money. In fact, every last one of them gave up their lives for their faith and died dirt poor. Then she will hopefully realize the true message that will continue to stop her from screwing around, doing drugs, or being so consumed with money that she doesn't give a damn about you or anyone else and wishes you would die so she might get an inheritance from you.
Faith is beautiful; just don't feel or express that others who have a different slant on faith are going to burn in some Eternal Lake of Fire for eternity.
Especially when there are billions of people in the last 1,000 years who had no chance in hell of ever getting the warning.

"...don't feel or express"???? screw you. Who are you to tell anybody what to feel?
By the way, that was not a very Christian post you just posted.

By the way, you have no authority to judge me.

It means nothing. You're a foul, unsaved, liar.
And in your opinion I'm going to burn for all eternity.
So who's the better person?
You! Right?

I have no idea who is the better person.
The only good in people comes from God so I take no credit for any goodness I have.

But you do have zero authority to judge my Christianity. Your unsuitableness to judge me has nothing to do with how good I am. It has to do with the fact you have no authority over believers.

Just remember..he knows the bible better than we do.
Yes. However, we Christians should keep in mind that to those of the Jewish faith the Bible is the Tanakh, or what you and I know as the Old Testament. Many Jews do a fantastic job at studying (not just reading) the Tanakh. When they read or hear of Christians saying a Tanakh passage references Jesus, they rightfully insist that the passage has nothing to do with Jesus. I say "rightfully" because the original passage and the original audience were not referencing Jesus. Christians believe that Jesus life is an overlay of the Old Testament, that to know the Old Testament is to know Jesus' life; to know Jesus' life is to know the Old Testament. That can be answered "Yes and No" depending on a person's perspective.

My granddaughter in early college has unfortunately taken up with some fundamentalist group that is running a camp where they teach these very young college students of about age 18 to run around and bend peoples' ears about Jesus and God and on and on at length.

It seems to me the height of arrogance for young people even to think they HAVE something to teach older people. And of course it's boring and incoherent because they aren't old enough to have any clue what they believe.

The worst part is that she knows I don't want to hear that stuff -- I've told her -- but they push her to "witness" to everyone, me included, apparently. It seems wrong to me: unmannerly and just immoral behavior to push one's own religious beliefs aggressively on someone else. Especially an older relative.

Yeah, I know I have to do an assertiveness thing and tell her to stop and mean it and keep saying it till she does, or whatever happens. My responsibility is not to allow bad behavior. But it's too bad these adults running this smarmy outfit are promoting such bad and unfashionable behavior. She'll get nothing but rejection, IMO. They make money off this: I don't know who funded her for this camp, but it wasn't me.

Any opinions on this "witnessing" business, or advice?
We all are being "taught" things we strongly disagree with. I have to listen to the 'tards go on and on and on about racism, homosexuality, the evil white man, so just man up and accept it. Nobody cares if you want to hear about Jesus Christ or not.

Based on?
I think Christians are as fine a people as any, but I have no need for a God, or a representative of God, that needs to threaten people with eternal hell for not paying attention; especially when the majority of mankind must go to eternal hell because they never had a chance to receive the good word.
Hardly sounds like like the prolific author knew anything outside of his own region.

Can you tell me where Paul said people were going to hell? (Doesn't sound like something Paul said, so I would like to review the context of the passage to which you are referencing.)
Please stop boring me.
Learn Hebrew.
I find it likely you are lying about crushing Merriweather.

You are bored because he puts you in your place..not the other way around.

Please stop boring me.
Learn Hebrew.

I am quite well, thank you. As I am boring you, simply ignore my posts. I studied the Tanakh with someone whose first language was Hebrew. Since then, I have read many commentaries by many Rabbis. Perhaps when you find yourself with a boring day, we can engage just as a way for you to pass the time. By the way, you have never "crushed" me because you have never taken the time to even bother with me. You have reached your own conclusions about me, but you know me not at all.

Yes. However, we Christians should keep in mind that to those of the Jewish faith the Bible is the Tanakh, or what you and I know as the Old Testament. Many Jews do a fantastic job at studying (not just reading) the Tanakh. When they read or hear of Christians saying a Tanakh passage references Jesus, they rightfully insist that the passage has nothing to do with Jesus. I say "rightfully" because the original passage and the original audience were not referencing Jesus. Christians believe that Jesus life is an overlay of the Old Testament, that to know the Old Testament is to know Jesus' life; to know Jesus' life is to know the Old Testament. That can be answered "Yes and No" depending on a person's perspective.
That is irrelelvant to the garbage that he's peddling, however.

He makes claims that are lies. He claimed he is able to forestall and silence evangelicals by spouting the bible at them. I invited him to do it..he hasn't. Yes I understand the OT/NT dissonance that Jews struggle with, and it is irrelevant to his commentary. I have no authority to judge his *Jewishness*...likewise he has zero authority to judge my Christianity.

And, as I said..he lied. He lied about repeatedly spanking you, and he lied about his superior familiarity with the Christian Bible that leads evangelicals to run screaming from his presence.

Based on?

Please stop boring me.
Learn Hebrew.

Then I suggest looking up old posts or getting involved in religion Threads.
All of the references in the NT to Isaiah, Jaremiah and Malachi are out of context and mistranslated.
The very Chapters that are used by Christians have verses that demand adherence to halacha and Christians are too emotionally invested in JC to read them.
I suggested a few months ago a version of what you call the OT that only contains your cherry picked verses; think of how much less you'll have to flip pages to find your "proofs".

He makes claims that are lies. He claimed he is able to forestall and silence evangelicals by spouting the bible at them. I invited him to do it..he hasn't. Yes I understand the OT/NT dissonance that Jews struggle with, and it is irrelevant to his commentary. I have no authority to judge his *Jewishness*...likewise he has zero authority to judge my Christianity.

And, as I said..he lied. He lied about repeatedly spanking you, and he lied about his superior familiarity with the Christian Bible that leads evangelicals to run screaming from his presence.
Sure...
Getting a bit emotional?

Based on?

Please stop boring me.
Learn Hebrew.

Then I suggest looking up old posts or getting involved in religion Threads.
All of the references in the NT to Isaiah, Jaremiah and Malachi are out of context and mistranslated.
The very Chapters that are used by Christians have verses that demand adherence to halacha and Christians are too emotionally invested in JC to read them.
I suggested a few months ago a version of what you call the OT that only contains your cherry picked verses; think of how much less you'll have to flip pages to find your "proofs".
Uh, no, I'm not going to go looking for evidence of your stated superiority. You made the claim, you can support it..or I will continue to think you're a liar.

It's pretty obvious you are.

Please stop boring me.
Learn Hebrew.

I am quite well, thank you. As I am boring you, simply ignore my posts. I studied the Tanakh with someone whose first language was Hebrew. Since then, I have read many commentaries by many Rabbis. Perhaps when you find yourself with a boring day, we can engage just as a way for you to pass the time. By the way, you have never "crushed" me because you have never taken the time to even bother with me. You have reached your own conclusions about me, but you know me not at all.
So either you are lying about forgetting about 6 months ago or someone else is using your account.
I hope you don't have dementia.

Jews and Christians often talk past each other. On both side there are those who think they already know what the other is saying or will say. Maybe if we could all slow down a bit?

Jews and Christians often talk past each other. On both side there are those who think they already know what the other is saying or will say. Maybe if we could all slow down a bit?
I'm more than happy to read the NT; it's great for a laugh.
The Koran...not that's boring.

So either you are lying about forgetting about 6 months ago or someone else is using your account.

Glad you brought that up. I re-read that exchange and saw how I was being misinterpreted. Unfortunately, I doubt you would be interested in reading through it again. No big deal. You read what you wanted to read. I'm good with that while at the same time being sorry for it.

Sure...
Getting a bit emotional?
No, apparently you are as confused about the meaning of *emotional* as you are about your so-called ability to put evangelicals in their place via your superior understanding of the Gospel.

I have no interest in telling Jews what their scriptures mean to them. I'm not sure I can slow it down much more than that.

Glad you brought that up. I re-read that exchange and saw how I was being misinterpreted. Unfortunately, I doubt you would be interested in reading through it again. No big deal. You read what you wanted to read. I'm good with that while at the same time being sorry for it.
Yes or No...
It's acceptable to omit verses from Scripture.

I have no interest in telling Jews what their scriptures mean to them. I'm not sure I can slow it down much more than that.
It does take longer when you can't omit verses.

Forum List

Back