Is it wrong for Christian to preach at people who don't believe what they do?

The bible says the evil unsaved will attack Christians and accuse them of all nature of offenses. And they do.

I've got two horses in my front yard terrified. Blather on people. Back at you later.

My granddaughter in early college has unfortunately taken up with some fundamentalist group that is running a camp where they teach these very young college students of about age 18 to run around and bend peoples' ears about Jesus and God and on and on at length.

It seems to me the height of arrogance for young people even to think they HAVE something to teach older people. And of course it's boring and incoherent because they aren't old enough to have any clue what they believe.

The worst part is that she knows I don't want to hear that stuff -- I've told her -- but they push her to "witness" to everyone, me included, apparently. It seems wrong to me: unmannerly and just immoral behavior to push one's own religious beliefs aggressively on someone else. Especially an older relative.

Yeah, I know I have to do an assertiveness thing and tell her to stop and mean it and keep saying it till she does, or whatever happens. My responsibility is not to allow bad behavior. But it's too bad these adults running this smarmy outfit are promoting such bad and unfashionable behavior. She'll get nothing but rejection, IMO. They make money off this: I don't know who funded her for this camp, but it wasn't me.

Any opinions on this "witnessing" business, or advice?
The Gospel commands Christians to be obnoxious.

No it doesnt
I guess you haven't read your Gospels.
I do not enjoy hearing about a "New" Law that messes up every reference to MY Torah.

My granddaughter in early college has unfortunately taken up with some fundamentalist group that is running a camp where they teach these very young college students of about age 18 to run around and bend peoples' ears about Jesus and God and on and on at length.

It seems to me the height of arrogance for young people even to think they HAVE something to teach older people. And of course it's boring and incoherent because they aren't old enough to have any clue what they believe.

The worst part is that she knows I don't want to hear that stuff -- I've told her -- but they push her to "witness" to everyone, me included, apparently. It seems wrong to me: unmannerly and just immoral behavior to push one's own religious beliefs aggressively on someone else. Especially an older relative.

Yeah, I know I have to do an assertiveness thing and tell her to stop and mean it and keep saying it till she does, or whatever happens. My responsibility is not to allow bad behavior. But it's too bad these adults running this smarmy outfit are promoting such bad and unfashionable behavior. She'll get nothing but rejection, IMO. They make money off this: I don't know who funded her for this camp, but it wasn't me.

Really? Lying mother fucker go for it/
I believe KosherGrl just made my case for me.
There's nothing in Judaism that condemns anybody who behaves like a human being.
The NT, on the other hand...

I consider people who ACCOST me with propaganda PUSHING their particular religion to be GROSSLY OBNOXIOUS

some time ago I had a hard time convincing a muslim that I DO NOT WANT A FREE COPY OF THE KORAN-----I told him over and over that I have at least four translations of that idiot book at home----but he kept BUGGING ME

Of course it is. Just like it is idiotic to let climate change high priests tell us to live frugal lives while they jet set all over the globe to their fancy parties.

fancy party??----can I come if a convert to GLOBAL WARMING?

I avoid getting preached to by knowing the bible well enough to show them I know it better than them. There are passages you can throw at her to stop this barage. Pick up a bible and you will see what I mean. They hate it when I can quote it better than them and leave me alone.

I believe KosherGrl just made my case for me.
There's nothing in Judaism that condemns anybody who behaves like a human being.
The NT, on the other hand...

"UNSAVED"-----persons "UNSAVED" is evil knievals. are you "SAVED"???

Sometimes I just sit back and wonder, why is faith so bad? God forbid she decides to keep her unborn child instead of murder it. God forbid she lives her life refusing to run around screwing around so that she ether gets an STD or wishes she could have an abortion. Oh, and don't expect her to wind up in a crack house cuz that just not fashionable being a Christian and all. Really, your only concern should be is if some cult like entity who is pretending to represent Christ are actually there to brain wash her in some David Koresh like fashion so that they can abuse her sexually or take all her money. And yes, pretty much all churches I know make money as does everyone else I know in this world, but saying that they are only in it for the money is pretty horrible if not true.

So let's assume worse case scenario. They are in it for the money. How much money does she actually have? Being so young, my guess is next to none. Hopefully, if they are in it for the money she will get enough teaching to realize that the people who started her Christian faith were not in it for the money. In fact, every last one of them gave up their lives for their faith and died dirt poor. Then she will hopefully realize the true message that will continue to stop her from screwing around, doing drugs, or being so consumed with money that she doesn't give a damn about you or anyone else and wishes you would die so she might get an inheritance from you.

While incorrectly attributed to St. Francis of Assisi, this quote makes a lot of sense: Preach the Gospel always. If necessary, use words. Perhaps encourage her to talk about which teachings of Jesus she has been able to incorporate into her own life, her favorite Beatitude, favorite parable, etc. Invite her to talk about herself, which may be of even more interest to her, and it is an alternative to her preaching at you, which you do not seem to enjoy. Perhaps gently suggest witnessing is more than just preaching, it is living by example.

While incorrectly attributed to St. Francis of Assisi, this quote makes a lot of sense: Preach the Gospel always. If necessary, use words. Perhaps encourage her to talk about which teachings of Jesus she has been able to incorporate into her own life, her favorite Beatitude, favorite parable, etc. Invite her to talk about herself, which may be of even more interest to her, and it is an alternative to her preaching at you, which you do not seem to enjoy. Perhaps gently suggest witnessing is more than just preaching, it is living by example.

are you aware of the fact that under CANON LAW------it was ILLEGAL for jews to PREACH JUDAISM to Christians. It was a crime punishable by DEATH ACCORDING TO THE FILTH OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH

No it doesnt
I guess you haven't read your Gospels.
I do not enjoy hearing about a "New" Law that messes up every reference to MY Torah.

I have. Which is why I know you are wrong

Well Jesus said to teach everyone. So I don’t see a problem with it
No. Evangelicals SAY that is what Jesus said.

And people who don’t believe what you believe aren’t interested

Mark 16:15-16
And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Why would anyone who doesn’t believe what you do give a flying about what Mark says? Do you not understand that we think your bible is fake

And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Why would anyone who doesn’t believe what you do give a flying about what Mark says? Do you not understand that we think your bible is fake

Whether you believe it or not doesn’t change the fact that quoting it shows Jesus saying what you denied he said.

You are just wrong.

Lol...I don't care what you think. You said Evangelicals say it's what Jesus says...I don't now maybe you think of Mark as an evangelical but most don't refer to the bible as "evangelicals". I was just proving, once again, that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

As you can see, it doesn't surprise anybody.

Seriously Jillian. If you don’t want someone quoting you the Bible, don’t deny the Bible says something it clearly does.

If you are going to disbelieve it you should at least have an idea of what you are rejecting

Forum List

Back