Is it wrong to be proud of your ancestors that fought for the Confederacy?

Like I said... we weren't around at that time, so, hard to put yourself in someone else's shoes...

It's always easy to sit back and judge people with a critical eye..... Being open and fair minded takes an intelligent person, not just having a knee-jerk emotional response.

That being said, enslaving another person is wrong (in my opinion) under any condition. It was actually done in the Old Testament and even God gave rules for Slaves to abide by. I am not smart enough nor knowledgeable enough to go deeper on this at this time - but, I do know, things are not always as (pardon the expression) "black and white" as they appear on the surface....

I disagree. Its easy to put yourself in the shoes of someone else. Its called empathy. Whats hard to do is understand the cognitive dissonance that validated slavery in the minds of whites. If racism had disappeared after the enslaved were freed it would be one thing. The years following the end of slavery up until now tell us racism is a sickness whites seem to have. Albert Einstein even said this.

I disagree. Its easy to put yourself in the shoes of someone else. Its called empathy. Whats hard to do is understand the cognitive dissonance that validated slavery in the minds of whites. If racism had disappeared after the enslaved were freed it would be one thing. The years following the end of slavery up until now tell us racism is a sickness whites seem to have. Albert Einstein even said this.

In fairness, it's not exclusive to whites.... (whatever you consider "whites" to be... see what I did there...)

In fairness, it's not exclusive to whites.... (whatever you consider "whites" to be... see what I did there...)
I disagree. Racism was started by whites and has been pushed to the world in the guise of "Western" ideas. Racism is a system where one race (superior) benefits. I cant think of any other place besides South Africa that has such a system in place and that was started by whites then turned around on them. Even then I dont think their system is based on superiority. More like AA.

Is it wrong to be proud of your ancestors?
Are men like Jefferson Davis, Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson to be "vilified" like Hitler; to the point where their names are being eradicated from schools, roads etc.?
General Sherman was my cousin. I don't think I have any relatives that were rebs.

Should a Southern be ashamed of their Confederate History?

I am guessing but most Northern people would say yes, but seeing I have lived in the south for over twenty plus years I would say no...

Now I am not saying a Southern Family should have White Pride where they still wish for the days where they could own them a slave but the History of the South is very rich and even if people would research the history of slavery versus indentured servants it would amaze some.

So to those crying over the Dixie Flag ( Lee Battle Flag ) and the History of the Confederacy should just learn that not everything about the South past should be shamed and wanting to wipe the history away is as wrong as those that still pine for days of slavery...

That is my opinion and sometimes the PC society need to just take a time out and chill it!

I am guessing but most Northern people would say yes, but seeing I have lived in the south for over twenty plus years I would say no...

Now I am not saying a Southern Family should have White Pride where they still wish for the days where they could own them a slave but the History of the South is very rich and even if people would research the history of slavery versus indentured servants it would amaze some.

So to those crying over the Dixie Flag ( Lee Battle Flag ) and the History of the Confederacy should just learn that not everything about the South past should be shamed and wanting to wipe the history away is as wrong as those that still pine for days of slavery...

That is my opinion and sometimes the PC society need to just take a time out and chill it!
Isnt there a difference in the confederacy and southern history? Some of the best white people I have met are from the south. They all hated the confederacy but loved the south.

Are men like Jefferson Davis, Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson to be "vilified" like Hitler; to the point where their names are being eradicated from schools, roads etc.?
General Sherman was my cousin. I don't think I have any relatives that were rebs.

My cousin has done massive ancestry research, so, I would have to ask her what relatives fought in the Civil War (or War Between the States if you prefer!)

My family is entirely from the North (New York) -
I married a Southerner though, and, have lived in the South for the last 30 years or so....

In protecting a way of life, they were also supporting enslavement of human beings. If you remember, in the North there was an industrial revolution, which used children for well past ten hours day. Not buying and selling humans, but fairly close.

The North doesn't appreciate nature? Hardly.

Flying your flag up North...yes, probably offensive.
what a few Forrest preserves in Cook County and Central park in New York city counts as preserving nature? While sitting in Ivory towers saying what the rest of the country should do?

Go fuck yourself.

Ah yes, Southern hospitality on display? You say you lived up here? Most of the North is as rural as the South. You guys do a lot of deer hunting in downtown Atlanta? There are over 100 lakes in the county I live in. Great fishing and hunting. We have the headwaters to a river that flows into the Mississippi River. Keeping it clean is a big deal.
Cool, I did not know that owning a spear was allowed up there.

My cousin has done massive ancestry research, so, I would have to ask her what relatives fought in the Civil War (or War Between the States if you prefer!)

I married a Southerner though, and, have lived in the South for the last 30 years or so....
Me2

I married a girl from L.A. (Lower Alabama) and have lived in the South off and on since 1984.

There can certainly be honor in fighting an enemy and pride in honor is usually a good thing.

My great grandfather fought for the South from Shilo to Franklinton. He was captured, traded for a yankee, captured again, escaped, and shot in the leg. He carried a mini' ball in his leg for the rest of his life. He was tough, and he was brave.

That does NOT mean that I feel compelled to put a confederate flag on my car. Redneck bigots have co opted it to mean something entirely different than the average confederate soldier stood for. My great grandfather owned no slaves, and did not care that much about the issue. What he did care about was that his home state of Tennessee was being invaded by an armed force, and he was prepared to defend it.

There is no possible way that the political decision that the South made to go to war can be defended. But, then, just like today, men step up to do their duty for their homeland, as they see it.

What you are missing is that the libs today WANT you to be ashamed of your ancestor.

I have been viciously ridiculed and smeared for stating that confederate Soldiers, like your great grandfather were fighting to protect their homes or homeland(s).

The libs want your great grandfather and all the others to be branded either as vile slavers, or the moronic dupes of vile slavers.

NO other options and if you disagree, your "defending slavers".

What YOU are missing is that I, myself, am a liberal.

No, I sort of remembered that.

You should join in on one of the many anti-confederate flag threads and explain to your fellow liberal travelers that your great grandfather is worthy of respect for his bravery and that his reasons for fighting were legitimate.

Then, after they demonstrate how accepting they are of cultural diversity, then you can start the healing process.

I'm a northern, and imo, it is only the libs, and those dumb enough to believe lib hysteria that think you guys have anything to be ashamed of.

We supposedly had some ancestors in the Union Army. l have seen a very old bayonet sharpening stone that was supposedly carried in the war.

I have not verified any of that. It is on my list of things to do, but very far down.

Forum List

Back