Is it wrong to be proud of your ancestors that fought for the Confederacy?

Is it wrong to be proud of your ancestors?
Are men like Jefferson Davis, Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson to be "vilified" like Hitler; to the point where their names are being eradicated from schools, roads etc.?

I think it depends on what you are proud of your ancestors for.

Fighting bravely, defending their homeland- of course.
Owning slaves- not so much.

I have an ancestor who is known for having killed the last kind of a specific species in one state- I am proud of him for many other things(he did fight in the Civil War)- but not for the localized extinction of a species.

My great grandfather fought for the South from Shilo to Franklinton. He was captured, traded for a yankee, captured again, escaped, and shot in the leg. He carried a mini' ball in his leg for the rest of his life. He was tough, and he was brave.

That does NOT mean that I feel compelled to put a confederate flag on my car. Redneck bigots have co opted it to mean something entirely different than the average confederate soldier stood for. My great grandfather owned no slaves, and did not care that much about the issue. What he did care about was that his home state of Tennessee was being invaded by an armed force, and he was prepared to defend it.

There is no possible way that the political decision that the South made to go to war can be defended. But, then, just like today, men step up to do their duty for their homeland, as they see it.

I'm just saying that South was fighting for a lot more than slavery......
I'm no expert on the Civil War, but I know it was more than that -

Southern troops were generally fighting to defend their home state and over time to defend the Confederacy.

But the Confederate states seceded in order to protect the right to own human property- the Confederate States were proudly all slave owning states- and their new Constitution protected slavery.

A lot of people died over trying to divide a nation. Maybe we can put an end to that soon.

A lot of people died over trying to divide a nation. Maybe we can put an end to that soon.
I think Nationalism is silly to begin with and is the real stifling property of humanity.

Ive traveled all over the world and got along with 99% of everyone.

I think Nationalism is silly to begin with and is the real stifling property of humanity.

Ive traveled all over the world and got along with 99% of everyone.

Getting a person to think outside themselves is a feat unto itself. Getting a large number of people to think nationally is a huge leap in the right direction.

Nope its not wrong and I could care less if someone thinks I should be ashamed of my ancestors that fought for the south's independence. I had a 4x grandfather wounded at Chancellorsville very proud of ALL my ancestors that fought for our independence. Always will be.

Nope its not wrong and I could care less if someone thinks I should be ashamed of my ancestors that fought for the south's independence. I had a 4x grandfather wounded at Chancellorsville very proud of ALL my ancestors that fought for our independence. Always will be.
Well sure, but then you're a fucking racist so who cares what you think?

Ok okay, it was all about slavery.... but the South was upset about other stuff ... just sayin'!!!!

My great grandfather fought for the South from Shilo to Franklinton. He was captured, traded for a yankee, captured again, escaped, and shot in the leg. He carried a mini' ball in his leg for the rest of his life. He was tough, and he was brave.

That does NOT mean that I feel compelled to put a confederate flag on my car. Redneck bigots have co opted it to mean something entirely different than the average confederate soldier stood for. My great grandfather owned no slaves, and did not care that much about the issue. What he did care about was that his home state of Tennessee was being invaded by an armed force, and he was prepared to defend it.

There is no possible way that the political decision that the South made to go to war can be defended. But, then, just like today, men step up to do their duty for their homeland, as they see it.

What you are missing is that the libs today WANT you to be ashamed of your ancestor.

I have been viciously ridiculed and smeared for stating that confederate Soldiers, like your great grandfather were fighting to protect their homes or homeland(s).

The libs want your great grandfather and all the others to be branded either as vile slavers, or the moronic dupes of vile slavers.

NO other options and if you disagree, your "defending slavers".

The North and South were not working well together, which, although slavery was the central issue, is the main reason the Civil War started and persisted.

It was a battle of wills. Because the South was more dependent upon slave labor, they felt more vulnerable.
It wasn't because they wanted to "suppress the black man".

It's hard for us to understand in this day and age.....

Well sure, but then you're a fucking racist so who cares what you think?
I'm not the one who hates white people bitch boy. :)

Oh and I am a racist aka someone that put's their races needs before ANY other race's so you are damn right. I am not a racist in your diluted mentally ill minds warped way of defining it so what you think doesn't matter bill.

What do you think would have happened if the North said "Go ahead, go your own way, and good luck"?

What do you think would have happened if the North said "Go ahead, go your own way, and good luck"?

Well, for one thing, the SOuth would have started out as fairly wealthy, without the destruction or crushing debt that so many like to bring up to argue that they were doomed to be a third world hellhole.

What you are missing is that the libs today WANT you to be ashamed of your ancestor.

I have been viciously ridiculed and smeared for stating that confederate Soldiers, like your great grandfather were fighting to protect their homes or homeland(s).

The libs want your great grandfather and all the others to be branded either as vile slavers, or the moronic dupes of vile slavers.

NO other options and if you disagree, your "defending slavers".

What YOU are missing is that I, myself, am a liberal.

Is it wrong to be proud of your ancestors?
Are men like Jefferson Davis, Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson to be "vilified" like Hitler; to the point where their names are being eradicated from schools, roads etc.?
Yes they should be vilified. They were feral racists. I'm not really concerned if you are proud of them or not. Thats a personal issue.

Forum List

Back