🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Is Social Security welfare?

Is Social Security welfare?

• Hell no. I paid for it and the money was saved in treasury bills for me

• No. Granted nothing was actually saved, but our kids will pay for us then be repaid by their kids

• Yes. But I still want it

• Yes. End it. I don't want to do to my kids what my parents are doing to me, sending me their bills

Results are only viewable after voting.
Social Security has been a promise to Americans since it was signed into law in 1936. The first payments went out in 1941 and they have continued ever since. However, it is an entitlement, not welfare.

Read more: Is Social Security considered to be welfare? | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/102715/social-security-considered-be-welfare.asp#ixzz4SYRwh9qP

Promising people welfare makes it not welfare? How does that make sense?

Show where all American are promised Welfare?

Um ... it was your point, Holmes. I color coded it for ya

No I said SS not welfare they are different..

And it has been proven as such!

Welfare: Government takes money from your children and gives it to someone else
Social Security: Government takes money from your children and gives it to you

Those are different how? Your checks are entirely someone else's money. Your money was spent as it came in

Only a far left drone would keep pushing that religious agenda!

Social Security has been a promise to Americans since it was signed into law in 1936. The first payments went out in 1941 and they have continued ever since. However, it is an entitlement, not welfare.

Read more: Is Social Security considered to be welfare? | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/102715/social-security-considered-be-welfare.asp#ixzz4SYRwh9qP

What is Social Security? Is it a savings plan with a trust fund? A money grubbing welfare program? What do you say?

Please explain in a post and state your political views, left, right, libertarian, whatever
It is a social insurance program that should be changed into a welfare program. It is bizarre that Bill Gates and Donald Trump collect SS checks.

Yes, I agree. We should end social security and just set up a welfare program for people who didn't save being honest about what it is
Or alternatively, we could continue SS and use means testing to determine who collects benefits and how much they collect.

Promising people welfare makes it not welfare? How does that make sense?

Show where all American are promised Welfare?

Um ... it was your point, Holmes. I color coded it for ya

No I said SS not welfare they are different..

And it has been proven as such!

Those are different how? Your checks are entirely someone else's money. Your money was spent as it came in

Only a far left drone would keep pushing that religious agenda!

You didn't answer your question. And I'm far left? Being against welfare? You're just babbling. Again the question you ignored

What is Social Security? Is it a savings plan with a trust fund? A money grubbing welfare program? What do you say?

Please explain in a post and state your political views, left, right, libertarian, whatever
It is a social insurance program that should be changed into a welfare program. It is bizarre that Bill Gates and Donald Trump collect SS checks.

Yes, I agree. We should end social security and just set up a welfare program for people who didn't save being honest about what it is
Or alternatively, we could continue SS and use means testing to determine who collects benefits and how much they collect.

Sure, liberals do love your welfare State

Social Security is not welfare....But Senate Pension Plans are

Welfare - government takes $ from your children and gives it to someone else
Social Security - government takes $ from your children and gives it to you

Explain how that is not welfare, it's exactly like welfare

Lets see, I have paid taxes and Social Security my whole life.. The only people who got anything free were the first generations of SS...

Each generation pays for the one before it...but all that will change for our children because of the greedy thieves trying to say that it is an entitlement ..

You paid taxes for defense all your life, that money was spent as you paid it
You paid social security taxes all your life, that money was spent as you paid it.

So why is social security a "trust fund" and defense isn't?

You're scaring old folks with reality.

As a practical matter, it is not possible to do away with SS but it can be reformed to better serve those who really need help and eliminate wasting money on those who do not.

As a practical matter, it is not possible to do away with SS but it can be reformed to better serve those who really need help and eliminate wasting money on those who do not.

I agree, though I'm sure we'd have significantly different views on what that alternative approach would be. Regardless, on the topic of the thread, taking money from one person and giving it to another is welfare and for all these years these people like to say they ... paid ... none of that money was ever ... saved. They're forcing their on irresponsibility on their children

I agree, though I'm sure we'd have significantly different views on what that alternative approach would be. Regardless, on the topic of the thread, taking money from one person and giving it to another is welfare and for all these years these people like to say they ... paid ... none of that money was ever ... saved. They're forcing their on irresponsibility on their children
I am not any kind of ideologue. I am an issue oriented pragmatist who is more interested in finding the best practical choices rather than the ideal choice.

While it is certainly disadvantageous to you as an individual to b forced to support other people, but as a practical matter in a democracy you cannot ignore the perceived needs of large swaths of people without being voted out of office, so we are going to provide welfare to poorer Americans and for me the question is how to do it most efficiently.

Because it takes two people paying into the system to cover one person. Welfare is very different than SS..

SS Started out with a huge ratio, that has declined significantly. Assuming the average monthly benefit is $1,500, that means each of those 2 people would be paying $750/month to the beneficiary. That is legally sanctioned MUGGING.

View attachment 101578

Social Security History

I agree, but I still don't understand your argument it's "not welfare." It seems like you keep agreeing with what I say then you say it's not welfare. How so?

Welfare - money is taken from your children and given to someone
Social Security - money is taken from your children and given to you

Nothing you paid was ever saved. How is social security "not welfare" when it works exactly like welfare?

No, SS is not welfare taken from one's children and given to oneself.

It is money seized by the government and then given to total strangers. And the courts have ruled that SS is not a guaranteed right. The Feds can totally deny one one's SS payments.

When I say our children and ourselves, obviously I'm talking about the generations.

You keep saying it's not welfare and then everything else you say seems to agree with me that it's welfare. I'm completely unclear on that

Distinction without a difference.

Well, Carbine is correct. A Bank has your money, but in reality they owe it to you. They don't sit on all of it. They loan it, invest it? The whole thing seems to be a giant house of cards?

I would hope a good portion of SSI is on-hand. Is it 100% hand to mouth?

No one answered if you can collect but never paid in? Sigh.....urban rumor says Yes, especially on a disability racket.

A survivor of someone who paid in can also collect up to age 18 or spouse?

Forum List

Back