🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Is Social Security welfare?

Is Social Security welfare?

• Hell no. I paid for it and the money was saved in treasury bills for me

• No. Granted nothing was actually saved, but our kids will pay for us then be repaid by their kids

• Yes. But I still want it

• Yes. End it. I don't want to do to my kids what my parents are doing to me, sending me their bills

Results are only viewable after voting.
I answered no but would have rather answered that it was theft.

So maybe you can do what the others can't. Explain how:

Government confiscating money from your children and sending it to someone else is welfare
Government confiscating money from your children and sending it to you is not welfare
When I deposit money in the bank it is not put into a lock box with my name on it. When i later draw it out it comes from who knows where. Money is fungible. Social Security is not much different except the tellers (congresscritters) dip into my deposits.

:wtf:

A bank invests the money and it grows and they pay that money back to you, the money you paid in with real growth and real investments.

You see that as the same as Government spending your money as it comes in ... SPENDING ... not saving ... like a bank would. Seriously?
No, that's why I started off this conversation with the word THEFT.

Pay attention

What does that have to do with that there is no money other than what is taken from your children either way? Again ...

Federal taxes - paid into the general fund
Social security taxes - paid into the general fund

Government spending - paid out of the general fund
Social Security payments - paid out of the general fund
Welfare payments - paid out of the general fund

Explain the difference

Social Security touches more people than just about any other federal program. At the end of 2014, according to the most recent trustees’ report, some 59 million Americans were receiving retirement, disability or survivors’ benefits from the system; the total cost was $848.5 billion. 166 million people paid payroll taxes into the system.

There is no system. All taxes collected go into the general fund and are spent out of the general fund. 100% of the money.

The SSA just records the amount that was spent in, writes down what it would have charged in interest if there was any actual money and calls it a "trust fund."

Do you have a military "trust fund" for the defense part of your tax payments? Of course not, that would be stupid. Ditto social security. The money was spent.

You voted for the politicians who did it to you
You voted for the politicians who spent the money instead of saving any of it
You paid the taxes for 40 years

Why do your children owe you for the money you squandered not being an adult about your own retirement?

I got no money for ya, kid. But I do have a tip for ya. Do the same thing to your kids ...

That may work for you, but it doesn't work for me. I do not want to do that to my children

I never vote far left! And they are the cause!

They also block all attempts to fix the problem!

Voting far left is never the answer!

I agree, but that doesn't make it not welfare. Government is simply taking money from your children and giving it to you, just like any other welfare program

There is a trust fund, but if it is not replenished correctly does not mean it is welfare!

Everything the government touches is usually mismanaged, but it does not change the fact that SS is a TRUST FUND!

A trust fund?

You actually don't know what I'm talking about when I tell you that social security taxes are paid into the general fund and social security checks are paid out of the general fund, do you?

Social Security touches more people than just about any other federal program. At the end of 2014, according to the most recent trustees’ report, some 59 million Americans were receiving retirement, disability or survivors’ benefits from the system; the total cost was $848.5 billion. 166 million people paid payroll taxes into the system.
And the size of SS makes it different in substance from any other welfare program in what way?

Government confiscating money from your children and sending it to someone else is welfare
Government confiscating money from your children and sending it to you is not welfare
When I deposit money in the bank it is not put into a lock box with my name on it. When i later draw it out it comes from who knows where. Money is fungible. Social Security is not much different except the tellers (congresscritters) dip into my deposits.

A bank invests the money and it grows and they pay that money back to you, the money you paid in with real growth and real investments.

You see that as the same as Government spending your money as it comes in ... SPENDING ... not saving ... like a bank would. Seriously?

Pay attention

Right, but you voted in the politicians who did it to you and you had all the information what they were doing.

How then does you turning around and stealing from your children for your irresponsible behavior make it right?

They are paying you money when you saved none. Just like any other welfare recipient.

If they end it, I want a refund of the last 30 years of paying into it. If you dont pay into it you should not receive it.
I paid into it for 47 years, and some liberal piece of shit now says it's welfare? I don't think so. These idiots don't know what they are trifling with.

You paid defense taxes for 47 years. Is that a trust fund too?

It is irrelevant what you paid. What you didn't do was save. There is no money. You spent the money as it came in. Why do your kids owe you money for your being fiscally irresponsible about saving for your retirement?

Social Security is exactly you saving $100 a paycheck and spending that $100 at the grocery store. Now 47 years later with no money you want your kids to pay it back to you ...

Your children pay taxes, those taxes are sent to you. Just like any other welfare check
With this last post I place you on the liberal asshat list. You have no idea if I saved money or not, which we have. I paid SS taxes not defense taxes. You know what your sorry ass can do.

I'm not talking about anything you did outside SS, I'm talking about SS.

You saved zero and you still want checks, that is what I am saying.

I find the liberal part dubious. Are you saying your experience with liberals is they oppose welfare?

Pay attention

Right, but you voted in the politicians who did it to you and you had all the information what they were doing.

How then does you turning around and stealing from your children for your irresponsible behavior make it right?

They are paying you money when you saved none. Just like any other welfare recipient.
They are not paying me anything.

It's not a TRUST FUND. It's a bunch of IOUs that people who will never get SS will pay via heavy tax burdens for their entire lives.

Then how are you saying it's not welfare if you admit you're paying zero for your own benefits?

Because it takes two people paying into the system to cover one person. Welfare is very different than SS..

SS Started out with a huge ratio, that has declined significantly. Assuming the average monthly benefit is $1,500, that means each of those 2 people would be paying $750/month to the beneficiary. That is legally sanctioned MUGGING.

View attachment 101578

Social Security History

I agree, but I still don't understand your argument it's "not welfare." It seems like you keep agreeing with what I say then you say it's not welfare. How so?

Welfare - money is taken from your children and given to someone
Social Security - money is taken from your children and given to you

Nothing you paid was ever saved. How is social security "not welfare" when it works exactly like welfare?

No, SS is not welfare taken from one's children and given to oneself.

It is money seized by the government and then given to total strangers. And the courts have ruled that SS is not a guaranteed right. The Feds can totally deny one one's SS payments.

When I say our children and ourselves, obviously I'm talking about the generations.

You keep saying it's not welfare and then everything else you say seems to agree with me that it's welfare. I'm completely unclear on that

And the size of SS makes it different in substance from any other welfare program in what way?

No matter how much you make you can get your money from SS..

Welfare is limited to those that are considered poor, even some SS recipients can qualify for welfare. The difference is that SS is based on a system that you paid into for later use, taxes that are collected year to year are designed to pay for welfare precipitants that year and no one is entitled to either program..

Pay attention

They are not paying me anything.

When government takes money from your children and write you a check, they are not paying you anything?

And you're a conservative?

Welfare is limited to those that are considered poor, even some SS recipients can qualify for welfare. The difference is that SS is based on a system that you paid into for later use, taxes that are collected year to year are designed to pay for welfare precipitants that year and no one is entitled to either program..

Government taking someone else's money and giving it to you is welfare no matter how you spin it. Your money is gone, it was spent as you paid it in like any other tax

Then how are you saying it's not welfare if you admit you're paying zero for your own benefits?

Because it takes two people paying into the system to cover one person. Welfare is very different than SS..

SS Started out with a huge ratio, that has declined significantly. Assuming the average monthly benefit is $1,500, that means each of those 2 people would be paying $750/month to the beneficiary. That is legally sanctioned MUGGING.

View attachment 101578

Social Security History

I agree, but I still don't understand your argument it's "not welfare." It seems like you keep agreeing with what I say then you say it's not welfare. How so?

Nothing you paid was ever saved. How is social security "not welfare" when it works exactly like welfare?

It is money seized by the government and then given to total strangers. And the courts have ruled that SS is not a guaranteed right. The Feds can totally deny one one's SS payments.

When I say our children and ourselves, obviously I'm talking about the generations.

You keep saying it's not welfare and then everything else you say seems to agree with me that it's welfare. I'm completely unclear on that

Social Security has been a promise to Americans since it was signed into law in 1936. The first payments went out in 1941 and they have continued ever since. However, it is an entitlement, not welfare.

Read more: Is Social Security considered to be welfare? | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/102715/social-security-considered-be-welfare.asp#ixzz4SYRwh9qP

Social Security is not welfare....But Senate Pension Plans are

Welfare - government takes $ from your children and gives it to someone else
Social Security - government takes $ from your children and gives it to you

Explain how that is not welfare, it's exactly like welfare

Lets see, I have paid taxes and Social Security my whole life.. The only people who got anything free were the first generations of SS...

Each generation pays for the one before it...but all that will change for our children because of the greedy thieves trying to say that it is an entitlement ..

You paid taxes for defense all your life, that money was spent as you paid it
You paid social security taxes all your life, that money was spent as you paid it.

So why is social security a "trust fund" and defense isn't?

What is Social Security? Is it a savings plan with a trust fund? A money grubbing welfare program? What do you say?

Please explain in a post and state your political views, left, right, libertarian, whatever
It is a social insurance program that should be changed into a welfare program. It is bizarre that Bill Gates and Donald Trump collect SS checks.

View attachment 101578

Social Security History

Social Security has been a promise to Americans since it was signed into law in 1936. The first payments went out in 1941 and they have continued ever since. However, it is an entitlement, not welfare.

Read more: Is Social Security considered to be welfare? | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/102715/social-security-considered-be-welfare.asp#ixzz4SYRwh9qP

Promising people welfare makes it not welfare? How does that make sense?

What is Social Security? Is it a savings plan with a trust fund? A money grubbing welfare program? What do you say?

Please explain in a post and state your political views, left, right, libertarian, whatever
It is a social insurance program that should be changed into a welfare program. It is bizarre that Bill Gates and Donald Trump collect SS checks.

Yes, I agree. We should end social security and just set up a welfare program for people who didn't save being honest about what it is

View attachment 101578

Social Security History

Show where all American are promised Welfare?

Um ... it was your point, Holmes. I color coded it for ya

No I said SS not welfare they are different..

And it has been proven as such!

So there's no means test. Big deal. There's no means test for big suburban government schools, and you'd have an impossible task to argue that those aren't a welfare program for the middle and upper classes.

Your money is still taken away, spent on other unrelated programs, then you get paid back from monies stolen from someone else.

In substance, no different from any other welfare program.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz

No I said SS not welfare they are different..

And it has been proven as such!

Welfare: Government takes money from your children and gives it to someone else
Social Security: Government takes money from your children and gives it to you

Those are different how? Your checks are entirely someone else's money. Your money was spent as it came in

Forum List

Back