is the lack of fathers in the home a major reason for violent crime in the inner cities ?

When these discussions come up, I can't help to turn to the words of the late Professor Williams. He wrote this years ago:

Black Self-Sabotage

By Walter Williams

williams2.gif

If we put ourselves into the shoes of racists who seek to sabotage black upward mobility, we couldn't develop a more effective agenda than that followed by civil rights organizations, black politicians, academics, liberals and the news media. Let's look at it.

First, weaken the black family, but don't blame it on individual choices. You have to preach that today's weak black family is a legacy of slavery, Jim Crow and racism. The truth is that black female-headed households were just 18 percent of households in 1950, as opposed to about 68 percent today. In fact, from 1890 to 1940, the black marriage rate was slightly higher than that of whites. Even during slavery, when marriage was forbidden for blacks, most black children lived in biological two-parent families. In New York City, in 1925, 85 percent of black households were two-parent households. A study of 1880 family structure in Philadelphia shows that three-quarters of black families were two-parent households.

During the 1960s, devastating nonsense emerged, exemplified by a Johns Hopkins University sociology professor who argued, "It has yet to be shown that the absence of a father was directly responsible for any of the supposed deficiencies of broken homes." The real issue, he went on to say, "is not the lack of male presence but the lack of male income." That suggests marriage and fatherhood can be replaced by a welfare check.

The poverty rate among blacks is 36 percent. Most black poverty is found in female-headed households. The poverty rate among black married couples has been in single digits since 1994 and is about 8 percent today. The black illegitimacy rate is 75 percent, and in some cities, it's 90 percent. But if that's a legacy of slavery, it must have skipped several generations, because in the 1940s, unwed births hovered around 14 percent.

More interesting stuff in this article if anybody cares for the truth.

Using a backhoe, I wanted to find out more about the number of female-headed households and poverty in the US, along with black-only families with mom only homes in poverty.

The first graph depicts poverty rate of all single mom homes. The second graph depicts black only single mom homes in poverty.

First graph showing all single mom families living in poverty that shows percentage improvements:
2019: 22.2%
2018: 24.9%
2017: 26.2%
2016: 26.6%.....

1991: 35.6% of all homes in US run by ALL single moms were living in poverty. Man, I thought the 90's were "pretty good"...but obviously many would not be under the same impression just looking at that relatively high stretch of stats.

The good news is that the first graph shows a recent decline in poverty as far as percentages of all female-headed households. The yearly comparison also indicates that there was more ineptness going on in the 90's (ineptness being divided among more than one factor) where the percentages of female-households in poverty were jacked up for several consecutive years.

The second graph, contains the following percentage changes for only Black moms running a household, and includes the following statistical changes:
2019: 27.3%
2018: 29.4%
2017: 30.8%
2016: 31.6%........
1991: 51.2% Black families with mom only living in poverty.

I'm wondering how it could be explained that Trump's domestic policies didn't help fight poverty? Or, are we to believe that Obama's economic policies didn't kick in until after he left? Surely, there is a Candy Cane here in the mix who will fight against the truth at all costs! lol
unfortunately with google and other search engines you need a backhoe ,picks ,shovels, and a team of miners to get true info stats and facts ...thats why dems love to post link? they know you will have to dig to find info on a matter the disagree with you on . its a form of censorship and dems support it .
When Republicans post links we always find the lies.

Depends on the father.
You could get information from police departments, fire departments, EMS/Paramedics, Emergency Rooms in Hospitals. The truth us there. That is why inner city poverty will not end. Never.

we hear the left spout that guns are the reason for the high crime rates in the inner cities constantly ... but they have no answer for communities that have high gun ownership that dont have the skyhigh crime rates as the inner cities .... the question i have for democrats is do they believe a lack of fathers in the home is the major reason many young men become violent criminals ... PolitiFact - Rep. John Duncan Jr. says 90 percent of felons grew up in fatherless households

Upon your prompt Yidnar-I found this information from Pew Research, 2019:
"Almost a quarter of U.S. children under the age of 18 live with one parent and no other adults (23%), more than three times the share of children around the world who do so (7%). The study, which analyzed how people’s living arrangements differ by religion, also found that U.S. children from Christian and religiously unaffiliated families are about equally likely to live in this type of arrangement."

I had no idea that single family homes in US outweighed other countries by such a large percentage (23% in US, 7% around the world average). I was under the impression that there were about that many within the US but that more as well outside the US...shows what I know). Thanks for increasing my awareness! I'll look for sources connecting felons to single parent homes, and there is a connection that's been discussed for many years.

I did like another poster's response about a dad in the home being a good thing that it "depends on the dad". Absolutely true. Some homes are better off without a dad when the dad is the sort who should have never had kids. There are different reasons for being a bad father, some way worse than others sadly. A good home can still be obtained by a single mom with a boost from her own drive and initiative to succeed as a single parent, and help from family/friends/or neighbors to provide safe and nurturing care for the kids.
maybe the reason the US has a higher crime rate than some of those countries is because of our higher % of children being raised with no father in the home .

How about I convince you to add a modifier to your statement, just for the sake of clarifying...being raised with no GOOD father in the home instead of no father in the home. I'll back you with that added adjective to recognize that some "fathers" are any thing but a good father. You are right to say that it helps kids to have two parents, just to have two different personalities in the mix, watching two ways to figure things out, hearing how two adults use different strategies to resolve conflict. Even when both parents have a positive way of dealing with a crisis, it's always good for kids to observe how two sensible people react to the same thing in a different way.

A personal example: my daughter "sees" how I do things and how her father does things. Not the same style having different mindsets as far as reaction time, level of motivation to get things done, and how we air out disagreements by using differing genetic tools and unique, life experiences. I am the type who likes to "air it all out asap" when a disagreement takes place. Afterwards, I focus immediately on other things. My husband likes to hold on to things longer, thinking out the steps before acting. Our daughter has benefited from seeing that neither one of us is always right, we compromise when we are able, and allow each other to be right. That last one sounds easy, but for many couples it's finding a workable balance and to always remember little ears are listening. It's helped make me a better person tbh in that respect. Of course I prefer to be right 100% all of the time over the important stuff, yet so does my husband! lol Keeps it interesting!
it sounds like yall are good parents .

we hear the left spout that guns are the reason for the high crime rates in the inner cities constantly ... but they have no answer for communities that have high gun ownership that dont have the skyhigh crime rates as the inner cities .... the question i have for democrats is do they believe a lack of fathers in the home is the major reason many young men become violent criminals ... PolitiFact - Rep. John Duncan Jr. says 90 percent of felons grew up in fatherless households

"Almost a quarter of U.S. children under the age of 18 live with one parent and no other adults (23%), more than three times the share of children around the world who do so (7%). The study, which analyzed how people’s living arrangements differ by religion, also found that U.S. children from Christian and religiously unaffiliated families are about equally likely to live in this type of arrangement."

I had no idea that single family homes in US outweighed other countries by such a large percentage (23% in US, 7% around the world average). I was under the impression that there were about that many within the US but that more as well outside the US...shows what I know). Thanks for increasing my awareness! I'll look for sources connecting felons to single parent homes, and there is a connection that's been discussed for many years.

I did like another poster's response about a dad in the home being a good thing that it "depends on the dad". Absolutely true. Some homes are better off without a dad when the dad is the sort who should have never had kids. There are different reasons for being a bad father, some way worse than others sadly. A good home can still be obtained by a single mom with a boost from her own drive and initiative to succeed as a single parent, and help from family/friends/or neighbors to provide safe and nurturing care for the kids.
maybe the reason the US has a higher crime rate than some of those countries is because of our higher % of children being raised with no father in the home .

How about I convince you to add a modifier to your statement, just for the sake of clarifying...being raised with no GOOD father in the home instead of no father in the home. I'll back you with that added adjective to recognize that some "fathers" are any thing but a good father. You are right to say that it helps kids to have two parents, just to have two different personalities in the mix, watching two ways to figure things out, hearing how two adults use different strategies to resolve conflict. Even when both parents have a positive way of dealing with a crisis, it's always good for kids to observe how two sensible people react to the same thing in a different way.

A personal example: my daughter "sees" how I do things and how her father does things. Not the same style having different mindsets as far as reaction time, level of motivation to get things done, and how we air out disagreements by using differing genetic tools and unique, life experiences. I am the type who likes to "air it all out asap" when a disagreement takes place. Afterwards, I focus immediately on other things. My husband likes to hold on to things longer, thinking out the steps before acting. Our daughter has benefited from seeing that neither one of us is always right, we compromise when we are able, and allow each other to be right. That last one sounds easy, but for many couples it's finding a workable balance and to always remember little ears are listening. It's helped make me a better person tbh in that respect. Of course I prefer to be right 100% all of the time over the important stuff, yet so does my husband! lol Keeps it interesting!

You are so kind to say...but funny thing is I've frequently heard it said over the years by other parents that by the time kid #3 came around they knew what to do! lol I relate to that so much with having had only one child! I always think I could have done better, I should have done this instead....there is always room for improvement with most things and it's a goal to improve and I still need a lot of it lol

You are so kind to say...but funny thing is I've frequently heard it said over the years by other parents that by the time kid #3 came around they knew what to do! lol I relate to that so much with having had only one child! I always think I could have done better, I should have done this instead....there is always room for improvement with most things and it's a goal to improve and I still need a lot of it lol
there are many good parents like yall ..there are however no perfect parents .

I don't think there's any doubt that this is negative situation for black kids.

And when people scream RACIST at those who dare to bring it up, they're avoiding an honest conversation about this counterproductive behavior and just enabling more of it.

That's the biggest problem, nobody can actually address it in an honest way.

They aren't people. They are seeds in some woman's womb and if she doesn't want to have it, she should be able to get an abortion. If $ is the reason then maybe your society needs to change. In the last few decades the rich have gotten richer and the middle class poorer. More and more people are choosing not to have kids. I commend them. We're overpopulated. And I'm not having any kids. And if I did I'd pay for them myself.

I made that same choice myself: No marriage and no kids. It cost me several relationships, but I was always an honest and up-front person. The ones that stuck around did it for a challenge. Some women always think they're the special one that will make you change your mind.

On the subject a few months ago I looked up the cost to raise a child today from the day they are born to the day they turn 18. It's $230,000 per child for a middle-class parent(s). That's just raising the child and no college plan. Family of two children? Better have a half-mil for that adventure.

Well, the half-million is worth it for precious kids, right? This is true if you put that money in between your mattresses. But a half-million in a conservative growth account 20 years is pretty hefty sum, and young people today who do their homework on kids opt to have none.

The lack of fathers resulting in social demise has been the empirical fact in the self-segregating black community for decades.
Everything but that reality has been addressed and to no avail. Process of elimination alone makes it obvious.
But we’re dealing with democrats so logic and reason are disallowed.

They aren't people. They are seeds in some woman's womb and if she doesn't want to have it, she should be able to get an abortion. If $ is the reason then maybe your society needs to change. In the last few decades the rich have gotten richer and the middle class poorer. More and more people are choosing not to have kids. I commend them. We're overpopulated. And I'm not having any kids. And if I did I'd pay for them myself.

I made that same choice myself: No marriage and no kids. It cost me several relationships, but I was always an honest and up-front person. The ones that stuck around did it for a challenge. Some women always think they're the special one that will make you change your mind.

On the subject a few months ago I looked up the cost to raise a child today from the day they are born to the day they turn 18. It's $230,000 per child for a middle-class parent(s). That's just raising the child and no college plan. Family of two children? Better have a half-mil for that adventure.

Well, the half-million is worth it for precious kids, right? This is true if you put that money in between your mattresses. But a half-million in a conservative growth account 20 years is pretty hefty sum, and young people today who do their homework on kids opt to have none.
Government has turned having children into being a sucker. The feminism is so bad that the costs to society is enormous. And what is alarming is that it has not peaked. Equity just costs to much. And the people below the poverty line will keep increasing until we realize it.

Government has turned having children into being a sucker. The feminism is so bad that the costs to society is enormous. And what is alarming is that it has not peaked. Equity just costs to much. And the people below the poverty line will keep increasing until we realize it.

I think the feminism movement died long ago. You barely hear from those kinds anymore. They did their damage and now the rut has been set. It's difficult for a single person to have nice things because many households rely on two incomes.

As far as blacks go, I've never met any blacks that never had children. I compare that to whites that you find all the time. My niece and nephew, both in their mid 30's had no children as of yet. After college they both spent their money trying to repay all their college loans. My nephew was married for 7 years, but among other things responsible for their divorce, his wife's biological clock was ticking, and he wasn't ready to support a family at the time. He wanted to be totally debt free before starting a family.

Perhaps to get ahead, maybe blacks should be more conscious of their money. If you have a child in your late teens to early 20's, you may never reach the level of comfort and financial status you think acceptable.

It’s is The Core Problem with No Interest on part of black community to address it or change it
They instead choose the dysfunction and blaming.

Yes, yes it is.

Yes, it's one of many reasons for America's huge and growing crime rate.

It's just one more demonstration of the lack of 'social' responsibility in America.

But this too can and will be turned into a racist issue.

It's another example of the race problem America created that's bringing the chickens home.

And Trump thinks he can solve the problem with a border wall that is supposed to keep America whiter?

Is there anything that can be done to prevent such a sick society from turning to fascism?

It’s is The Core Problem with No Interest on part of black community to address it or change it
True in part but you're ignoring 'white' America's responsibility to find a solution.

The only solultion so far is brutal force and promoting police murder of black people on America's streets.

This clusterfuk forum serves a purpose in bringing America's big issues to light. But never serves as a place to discuss solutions!

And so nearly every thread becomes a soapbox for white Americans to express their racism and hating.

True in part but you're ignoring 'white' America's responsibility to find a solution.

The only solultion so far is brutal force and promoting police murder of black people on America's streets.

This clusterfuk forum serves a purpose in bringing America's big issues to light. But never serves as a place to discuss solutions!

And so nearly every thread becomes a soapbox for white Americans to express their racism and hating.
Your act has become nothing but boring, troll. Still not clever, and no one is impressed. Move on, troll.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent such a sick society from turning to fascism?

Yes. Making sure people like you never have any political power will go a long way towards avoiding fascism.
All replies are welcome marvin, you're one of the more committed racist cheerleaders.
You're limited to one more reply to me today, on account of your lack of any substance that could add to a discussion.

Yes. Making sure people like you never have any political power will go a long way towards avoiding fascism.
All replies are welcome marvin, you're one of the more committed racist cheerleaders.
You're limited to one more reply to me today, on account of your lack of any substance that could add to a discussion.
Move along, troll.

Forum List

Back