Is the "Shutdown" a winning political issue for the GOP?

Is the "Shutdown" a political advantage for the GOP?

• Total voters

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.

Okay, focus like a laser beam. This isn't about the validity of the GOP's strategy, this isn't about the party "doing what's right" or "protecting the people" or "doing what they were elected to do" or whether the Dems are to blame of whatever. This is about politics.

Yes or no, is the show unfolding in DC a net positive or a net negative for the GOP in 2014 and 2016? Or hell, given our relatively short memories, will we be distracted by Kim Kardashian's baby or Honey Boo Boo and forget about all of this by then?

Political advantage for the GOP, yes, no or a wash?

NO, they haven't learned a thing from history. The American people are well aware of who's being obstructionist here. They're getting their bluff called again.

It's great for rallying the grassroots and fundraising.

That is it's only purpose.

In pretty much all the tea party congressional districts? Probably. In the other 90% of America? No.

Okay, focus like a laser beam. This isn't about the validity of the GOP's strategy, this isn't about the party "doing what's right" or "protecting the people" or "doing what they were elected to do" or whether the Dems are to blame of whatever. This is about politics.

Yes or no, is the show unfolding in DC a net positive or a net negative for the GOP in 2014 and 2016? Or hell, given our relatively short memories, will we be distracted by Kim Kardashian's baby or Honey Boo Boo and forget about all of this by then?

Political advantage for the GOP, yes, no or a wash?

At this point, it's political suicide. I realize that most conservatives here on USMB are ultra-conservative, some to the point of being beyond loony, but the fact is that most Americans do not agree with the far right on much of anything. That does not mean that most Americans agree with the left either, but believe me when I say the far right is about to get their nose bloodied big time if they keep this crap up.

Yes, one way or another.

It didn't hurt them in 1995-96, at all...:thup:

One problem the GOP has is that it's not the same GOP of 1995. In recent years it seems they have been terrible about getting their message across, whether it's right or wrong. They have allowed the Democrats to set the narrative of every story, and failed to properly fire back. Aside from a terrible candidate, that is one of the things that cost them the election in 2012, and I have a feeling it will cost them political points in the event of a shutdown. Whether you agree with it or not, it looks like the Democrats have already successfully laid the fault at the Republicans feet.

Yes, one way or another.

It didn't hurt them in 1995-96, at all...:thup:

One problem the GOP has is that it's not the same GOP of 1995. In recent years it seems they have been terrible about getting their message across, whether it's right or wrong. They have allowed the Democrats to set the narrative of every story, and failed to properly fire back. Aside from a terrible candidate, that is one of the things that cost them the election in 2012, and I have a feeling it will cost them political points in the event of a shutdown. Whether you agree with it or not, it looks like the Democrats have already successfully laid the fault at the Republicans feet.

Politics is perception; it's not just the message, it's the way the message is delivered - it shouldn't be that way, but it is. And for some reason the GOP just can't seem to grasp that.

Add the narcissism of the average national politician to the alternate universe the GOP likes to create for itself (see Romney, polls, predictions, 2012) and you get a real recipe for disaster.

They seem to be sure this won't hurt them next year. Okay, we'll see.

The moderate (sane) Republicans realize what the young baggers are doing to the party. They are losing more independent voters. Oh, they will keep the FOX hugging, tea droolers, but the GOP will lose more support across the middle class.

I think the whole thing will depend on how much people want Obacare gone. Its not exactly popular with most Americans.

Is it worth a shutdown of the Govt??

That remains to be seen.

I think the whole thing will depend on how much people want Obacare gone. Its not exactly popular with most Americans.

Is it worth a shutdown of the Govt??

That remains to be seen.

Once most Americans see what it really is, rather than accepting the nonsense spewed by the rightwingnuts, most Americans will approve of it, and extend it, just as we did Social Security. And that is precisely what the 'Conservatives are afraid of. Enough afraid to try this desperate and losing tactic.

Not quite nonsense there Rocks.

This thing is going to cost up the ass. Thats already been proven.

As for a desperate losing tactic?? Hell. They funded everything but Obamacare and the Dems were the ones who refused to negotiate. Most of the govt will run just like it always has.

As I said. Its all gonna depend on how many folks didn't and don't want Obamacare.

Not quite nonsense there Rocks.

This thing is going to cost up the ass. Thats already been proven.

As for a desperate losing tactic?? Hell. They funded everything but Obamacare and the Dems were the ones who refused to negotiate. Most of the govt will run just like it always has.

As I said. Its all gonna depend on how many folks didn't and don't want Obamacare.

The only thing proven to date is that our spending on healthcare as a nation has increased by its lowest levels in over 60 years the past three years since the ACA was passed. The estimated savings based on previous year's increases amounts to around $750 billion already. Now, to be fair, what has happened the past three years, including this year is not necessarily indicative of what will happen down the road, but we need to wait and see. Just saying this is going to cost us a fortune doesn't make it so.

Forum List

Back