Is the US National Soccer Program dying?

USMNT looked good against Honduras and now headed to the Finals at Concacaf vs. Mexico!

Is it possible that the U.S. simply does not have soccer players of the same skill as our international counterparts? And call me xenophobic, but I'm not really interested in people learned the game in another country, moved to the U.S., and now play on "our" team.

I don't believe we have the same nurturing culture that identifies the top players, sends them to soccer academies, and maximizes their development.

As long as our leagues are based on AGE or school-grade and not on skill level, the top players will never develop fully. As I've said before in this forum, the best 12-year-old "football" players in Europe are playing against 16's, while our best 12's are playing against other 12's (as a general proposition).

But I really don't give a shit; it's a dumb sport.
Our best athletes dont play soccer. Thats the bottom line. They play Football Baseball and Basketball not necessarily in that order. If our best athletes played soccer their whole life we would win the world cup most of the time. Seriously who's covering guys like Saquan Barkley or Christian McCaffery, Lebron, or Jordon. Can you imagine Megatron coming across the middle to head a corner kick? What would Barry Sanders have been like on the field? We would likely embarrass the rest of the world most time.

USA USA USA!!!

What a game!!!!

Concacaf USA 3 Mexico 2

Mexico fans should not be allowed in any stadium

Substitute Goalie Horvath came up big

Is it possible that the U.S. simply does not have soccer players of the same skill as our international counterparts? And call me xenophobic, but I'm not really interested in people learned the game in another country, moved to the U.S., and now play on "our" team.

I don't believe we have the same nurturing culture that identifies the top players, sends them to soccer academies, and maximizes their development.

As long as our leagues are based on AGE or school-grade and not on skill level, the top players will never develop fully. As I've said before in this forum, the best 12-year-old "football" players in Europe are playing against 16's, while our best 12's are playing against other 12's (as a general proposition).

Our best athletes dont play soccer. Thats the bottom line. They play Football Baseball and Basketball not necessarily in that order. If our best athletes played soccer their whole life we would win the world cup most of the time. Seriously who's covering guys like Saquan Barkley or Christian McCaffery, Lebron, or Jordon. Can you imagine Megatron coming across the middle to head a corner kick? What would Barry Sanders have been like on the field? We would likely embarrass the rest of the world most time.
I was watching Collegiate Gymnastics today for some reason. It must have been like the championships or something because Stanford was there and so was the University of Oklahoma. Anyway, a friend and I had a discussion about why the US isn't better at Gymnastics on the male end. Our women's teams do very well in international competitions but our male teams in gymnastics and figure skating always seem to be far behind the Europeans and Asians in those sports. They are behind them as well in other sports too but gymnastics caught my eye. You can't doubt the athleticism and I would imagine our coaching is just as good as those in Europe. I think you bring up a good point...our best athletes do not go into these sports where the money, the notoriety and endorsements are not as rich. I hope that changes at some point but I doubt it will.

WHEN the USWNT fails to make the final round of the FIFA Women’s World Cup

And

WHEN the USMNT fails to get out of the qualification round of the Gold Cup

Can we then all agree that the US Soccer Federation (USSF) is not capable of making the US National teams viable and get legislation passed through Congress and signed into law to forbid the USSF from presenting themselves as the “National teams” of the United States?

The USSF programs have shown themselves to be unable to construct sufficiently dominant teams (at all levels of competition) to be worthy of representing the United States of America in International competitions. They no longer deserve to be allowed to denigrate the name and colors of the United States with their incompetence and lack of success.

So, your view is either you're really good or don't bother?

I'm not sure that's the point of sport

So, your view is either you're really good or don't bother?

I'm not sure that's the point of sport
That is exactly my view. I have no time or energy to waste on mediocre athletes representing me and this nation as a whole. We’re not going to be great at everything. Focus on what we’re good at and ignore the rest.

I was watching Collegiate Gymnastics today for some reason. It must have been like the championships or something because Stanford was there and so was the University of Oklahoma. Anyway, a friend and I had a discussion about why the US isn't better at Gymnastics on the male end. Our women's teams do very well in international competitions but our male teams in gymnastics and figure skating always seem to be far behind the Europeans and Asians in those sports. They are behind them as well in other sports too but gymnastics caught my eye. You can't doubt the athleticism and I would imagine our coaching is just as good as those in Europe. I think you bring up a good point...our best athletes do not go into these sports where the money, the notoriety and endorsements are not as rich. I hope that changes at some point but I doubt it will.
There are only so many elite athletes out there. Genetics, nutrition, training, desire all play a part. While gymnastics and figure skating are fine Im happy our best athletes dont choose these sports. Frankly I think other nations emphasize them because they can win at them due to the fact that countries with better athletes do not put emphasis on them or at least not as much. China is crazy good at Badminton and ping pong but other than the CCP who really gives a shit? And it will never happen precisely because of the money and fame. Michael Phelps is likely the best swimmer in recorded history. He was kinda famous for about 2 minutes. Tim Tebow is more famous than him and he's not in the top 500 of all time greatest NFL QB's, maybe not even in the top 1000. (Have there been 1000 NFL QB's?)

There are only so many elite athletes out there. Genetics, nutrition, training, desire all play a part. While gymnastics and figure skating are fine Im happy our best athletes dont choose these sports. Frankly I think other nations emphasize them because they can win at them due to the fact that countries with better athletes do not put emphasis on them or at least not as much. China is crazy good at Badminton and ping pong but other than the CCP who really gives a shit? And it will never happen precisely because of the money and fame. Michael Phelps is likely the best swimmer in recorded history. He was kinda famous for about 2 minutes. Tim Tebow is more famous than him and he's not in the top 500 of all time greatest NFL QB's, maybe not even in the top 1000. (Have there been 1000 NFL QB's?)
Well, if you view it through the prism of earnings potential...you're right.

And until something shifts on that front; it will continue to do so. There is no professional gymnastics league and there is only spotty opportunities for professional figure skaters.

As far as "who gives a shit"....more and more people are finding other things to do with their time and money than football, baseball, and basketball.

I feel sorry for you
Why would that be, if I may be so bold as to ask?

Because you don't get it. Because your life is full of imaged based nonsense.

Sport is something to be played, because it's good for humans. People watch it because they think it's entertaining. It's better to play sport than to drink, do drugs etc etc.

And yet, here you are moaning about how you're not number one, so what's the point.

The Germans have it right. Their soccer teams are 50% owned by the fans. The clubs are FOR THE FANS.

The fundamental discussion is about why the U.S., with possibly the best possible culture for sports in the world, is mediocre at men's soccer, based on results of international competition.

Top athletes in the U.S., with allowances for physical size, pursue American football, baseball, basketball, and hockey. There are a ton of secondary sports, among which are soccer, tennis, and everything else. OFTEN, the best soccer players are also playing another sport, and when a coach inevitably tells them that they must make a choice, soccer loses out to the other sport.

Player development is another factor. The U.S. is too fixated on age-level (and school grade level) competition, which stifles development of the very best athletes. This is the ENTIRE reason why so many European basketball players end up doing well in the NBA, while American "white" players have much less success. Luca Doncic, for example, was playing professionally against adults when he was 13 years old. That would never happen in the U.S.

Ironically, it DOES happen in America's ghetto playgrounds, where Black kids play according to skill level, and age doesn't enter into it. So when a superior Black player gets to HS, he has already played against adults in the playground, giving him a dramatic advantage over kids who lack that experience.

The relative success of the U.S. women's team is merely a result of the fact that the Rest of the World doesn't really give a shit about womens' "football." Seriously.

Sport is something to be played, because it's good for humans. People watch it because they think it's entertaining. It's better to play sport than to drink, do drugs etc etc.

And yet, here you are moaning about how you're not number one, so what's the point
Playing sport is for those who have the skills, the talent, and the training to succeed at it, not for us common folk. I watch sports for the results, not the competition. I learned better early in life. I get little positive energy out of watching sports and far less from competing in them. I learned that last lesson after investing thousands of dollars into several activities.

If sports are such heart-warming activities I assume the Mexico fan who hit Gio Reyna in the head with a water bottle in the closing minutes of the USA-MEX game Sunday night was just concerned with Reyna’s hydration level.

And yet, here you are moaning about how you're not number one, so what's the point
Playing sport is for those who have the skills, the talent, and the training to succeed at it, not for us common folk. I watch sports for the results, not the competition. I learned better early in life. I get little positive energy out of watching sports and far less from competing in them. I learned that last lesson after investing thousands of dollars into several activities.

If sports are such heart-warming activities I assume the Mexico fan who hit Gio Reyna in the head with a water bottle in the closing minutes of the USA-MEX game Sunday night was just concerned with Reyna’s hydration level.

Total nonsense.

WHEN the USWNT fails to make the final round of the FIFA Women’s World Cup

And

WHEN the USMNT fails to get out of the qualification round of the Gold Cup

Can we then all agree that the US Soccer Federation (USSF) is not capable of making the US National teams viable and get legislation passed through Congress and signed into law to forbid the USSF from presenting themselves as the “National teams” of the United States?

The USSF programs have shown themselves to be unable to construct sufficiently dominant teams (at all levels of competition) to be worthy of representing the United States of America in International competitions. They no longer deserve to be allowed to denigrate the name and colors of the United States with their incompetence and lack of success.
I agree with getting rid of all college and professional sports in the US. These spoiled morons protest the country that made it possible for them to lead these highly privileged lives and they turn around and say the country is oppressive. Screw them all--let them get real jobs like everyone else.

Forum List

Back