Is The Will Of God Poverty Or Prosperity?

Genesis 1:28 - Then God blessed them.....

Genesis 9:1 - So, God blessed Noah and his sons......

Genesis 13:2 - Now Abram was extremely rich in livestock, silver and gold.

Genesis 39:2 - But the Lord was with Joseph, and he though a slave was a successful and prosperous man..

Genesis 26:12 - Then Isaac sowed seed in that land and received in the same year a hundred times as much as he had planted, and the Lord favored him with blessings.

Deuteronomy 29:9 - Therefore keep the words of this covenant, and do them, that you may prosper in all that you do.

2 Chronicles 1:12 - And I(God) will also give you wealth, riches and honor.........

2 Kings 18:7 - And the Lord was with Hezekiah; he prospered wherever he went.

Psalm 23:1 - The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not lack.

Psalm 92:12 - The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon...

Job 36:11 - If they obey and serve Him, they shall spend their days in prosperity........

Psalm 1:1-3 - Blessed is the man who......delights in the law of the Lord......whatever he does prospers.

Proverbs 11:25 - A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.

Isaiah 1:19 - If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best from the land...

Deuteronomy 8:18 - But you shall remember, the Lord your God, for it is He, who gives you power to get wealth.........

Psalm 34:10 - They who seek the Lord, none of them shall lack......

Isaiah 48:17 - I am the Lord your God, who teaches you to profit....

Joshua 1:8 - Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

Malachi 3:10 - Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test Me in this, says the Lord Almighty, and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing, that you will not have room enough for it.

Deuteronomy 28:1-14 - If you fully obey, the Lord your God.......the Lord your God will set you high above all people on earth. And all these blessings will come upon you and accompany you.......................................................................................................

Matthew 6:33 - But seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness and all these things, will be given to you as well..

2 Corinthians 9:8 - And God is able to make all grace, come to you in abundance, so that you may always and under all circumstances and whatever the need be self-sufficient....

John 10:10 - I(Jesus) came, that you may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance, to the full, till it overflows...

Philippians 4:19 - And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Galatians 3:29 - And if you are in Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise..

3 John 2 - Beloved, I pray that you may prosper, even as your soul prospers....

2 Corinthians 8:9 - For you know, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes, He became poor(HIs sacrifice), that you through His poverty(His sacrifice) might become rich..

Bible 101
Bible 101

Shucks.......they were all Republicans except Christ himself and he was a convert. Here's what the ol' man had to say about Democrats:

Deuteronomy 15:11 There will always be poor people. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land.

Jesus' view of education, "Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

The kingdom of heaven belongs to both young and old, as well as everyone in between. Jesus simply used little children and their eager faith, in those watching over them, as an example of the kind of people, that the kingdom of heaven belongs to.
If the kingdom of heaven only belonged to children, everyone would have been better off dying as a child? Why would anyone want to live long and grow up, if that meant missing heaven?
And if everyone died as a child, in order to enter heaven, who would take care and watch over the children?

As is the case with the Bible, there are many contradictions.

Matthew 19:24

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.”

You are absolutely right, that Jesus said, in Matthew 19:24, that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God, but Jesus never ever said, it was impossible for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God?

Abram, whom God later renamed Abraham, wasn't just rich, but he was extremely rich and he made it into heaven? Abraham did not allow his massive wealth distract him from serving God?
And God called the extremely rich and obedient Abraham, 'the father of faith'?

Matthew 8:11 - ...many will come from east and west, and sit down with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven.

According to Jesus, the three richmen above and many others made it into heaven, and their riches did not prevent their entry?
There are many more accounts in the Bible, of rich people, who entered heaven, inspite of their wealth? They had heaven on earth and went to heaven?

1 Kings 6:21 - Solomon covered the inside of the temple with pure gold.......

People in the Bible were building their temples or churches with pure gold and going to heaven? How could they afford pure gold, if they were poor?
And how many churches or temples in our times, are built with gold or have anything made of gold?

Exodus 28:4-5,6 - These are the garments they are to make......... Have them use gold......and fine linen... Make the ephod of gold........

In Exodus, God commanded the people to use gold in making garments for the priests? Why would God command these people to use gold, if they were poor and had no gold?
These people possessed gold, but they never let their possessions, stand between God and them, and they never missed the flight to heaven?

Last edited:

Yes or no.

If you're talking about money, no.

If the Will of God is poverty, then any attempt or effort to help the poor is a violation of the Will of God or a sin? And if poverty is the Will of God, then any attempt or effort by the poor to lift themselves out of poverty is a violation of the Will of God or sin?
Should we stop helping the poor or needy, because that is the Will of God? Why should we violate the Will of God, by trying to change the Will of God?
Does this mean charities, foundations and other good-will organizations are violating the Will of God by helping the poor? Should any assistance to the poor be cut off, because it may change the Will of God for the poor?

Yes or no.

If you're talking about money, no.

If the Will of God is poverty, then any attempt or effort to help the poor is a violation of the Will of God or a sin? And if poverty is the Will of God, then any attempt or effort by the poor to lift themselves out of poverty is a violation of the Will of God or sin?
Should we stop helping the poor or needy, because that is the Will of God? Why should we violate the Will of God, by trying to change the Will of God?
Does this mean charities, foundations and other good-will organizations are violating the Will of God by helping the poor? Should any assistance to the poor be cut off, because it may change the Will of God for the poor?

You don't see the hypocrisy surrounding liberals? They help the poor with money they steal from others (through taxes) and give it to the poor to win votes for themselves. They in turn say that it is the "godly" thing to do to help the poor and needy. BUT when it comes to public education, abortion on demand, homosexual marriage ---------- suddenly there is a separation between STATE and church, and we're supposed to leave God out of the picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One needs to respect GOD in all areas of judgment or leave Him out of the picture entirely. But to play this little game does no bennifit but to those seeking their own agenda. God is not mocked.

Genesis 39:2 - But the Lord was with Joseph, and he though a slave was a successful and prosperous man..

Genesis 26:12 - Then Isaac sowed seed in that land and received in the same year a hundred times as much as he had planted, and the Lord favored him with blessings.

Deuteronomy 29:9 - Therefore keep the words of this covenant, and do them, that you may prosper in all that you do.

2 Chronicles 1:12 - And I(God) will also give you wealth, riches and honor.........

Psalm 92:12 - The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon...

Job 36:11 - If they obey and serve Him, they shall spend their days in prosperity........

Psalm 1:1-3 - Blessed is the man who......delights in the law of the Lord......whatever he does prospers.

Proverbs 11:25 - A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.

Isaiah 1:19 - If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best from the land...

Deuteronomy 8:18 - But you shall remember, the Lord your God, for it is He, who gives you power to get wealth.........

Joshua 1:8 - Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

Malachi 3:10 - Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test Me in this, says the Lord Almighty, and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing, that you will not have room enough for it.

Deuteronomy 28:1-14 - If you fully obey, the Lord your God.......the Lord your God will set you high above all people on earth. And all these blessings will come upon you and accompany you.......................................................................................................

Matthew 6:33 - But seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness and all these things, will be given to you as well..

2 Corinthians 9:8 - And God is able to make all grace, come to you in abundance, so that you may always and under all circumstances and whatever the need be self-sufficient....

John 10:10 - I(Jesus) came, that you may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance, to the full, till it overflows...

Philippians 4:19 - And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Galatians 3:29 - And if you are in Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise..

2 Corinthians 8:9 - For you know, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes, He became poor(HIs sacrifice), that you through His poverty(His sacrifice) might become rich..

Bible 101
Bible 101

Our relationship with Him has nothing to do with prosperity or poorness in this world. It's all about knowing Him, personally, intimately. None of us come into the world with any worldly possessions; none of us will go out of it with any worldly possessions.

The will of God is for us all to know His Truth through Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 Timothy 2
2 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people—
2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

The real blessing is in knowing His love and learning to love others as He loves us. After that, sometimes He uses prosperity or poverty to teach us things, or to discipline us. A loving Father disciplines His children. Doesn't feel good, but is needed.

Bible 101
Bible 101

Our relationship with Him has nothing to do with prosperity or poorness in this world. It's all about knowing Him, personally, intimately. None of us come into the world with any worldly possessions; none of us will go out of it with any worldly possessions.

The will of God is for us all to know His Truth through Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 Timothy 2
2 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people—
2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

The real blessing is in knowing His love and learning to love others as He loves us. After that, sometimes He uses prosperity or poverty to teach us things, or to discipline us. A loving Father disciplines His children. Doesn't feel good, but is needed.

It is true, that you do not have to be rich or poor in order to know God or have a relationship with God, however throughout the Bible, God promised or vowed to prosper his people? The Bible is full of prosperity scriptures, but to my knowledge, I have yet to come across, scriptures where God promised poverty to His people?
There is no doubt that God like any father disciplines his children, but did God promise to discipline His children with poverty? Can any loving parents on earth, discipline their children by making them homeless and looking for food in trash cans?
And if poverty is one of the tools God uses to discipline His people, why does He pick and choose, who receives this punishment? Are those who never experience poverty perfect or without fault?
Are there any scriptures, where God promised to give us lessons through poverty? And is poverty ever a blessing?

It is true, that you do not have to be rich or poor in order to know God or have a relationship with God, however throughout the Bible, God promised or vowed to prosper his people? The Bible is full of prosperity scriptures, but to my knowledge, I have yet to come across, scriptures where God promised poverty to His people?
There is no doubt that God like any father disciplines his children, but did God promise to discipline His children with poverty? Can any loving parents on earth, discipline their children by making them homeless and looking for food in trash cans?
And if poverty is one of the tools God uses to discipline His people, why does He pick and choose, who receives this punishment? Are those who never experience poverty perfect or without fault?
Are there any scriptures, where God promised to give us lessons through poverty? And is poverty ever a blessing?

For one, I'll give you a link: I just typed the Word poverty into the search engine for the Biblegateway, and it comes up with HUNDREDS of verses on poverty to study about.

BibleGateway - Quick search: Poverty

Here's another link:

What the Bible Says About Poverty

There are many many lessons; the basic of which is love which is also called "Charity". Charity is love. And it comes from the heart, or true charity does. Not in the form of getting some "self glory". Like - "Guess what everyone, I gave $100 to the Salvation Army today" That's all about self glory.

There's specific verse on that in giving/alms:

Matthew 5
6 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

Here's another regarding a poor women giving a penny, compared to those who have alot and didn't give as much:
Mark 12
41 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.

42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.

43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:

44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

Overall, I beleive it is our hearts that are given the lesson in the times we are either poor or rich in the "world".

Last edited:

For one, I'll give you a link: I just typed the Word poverty into the search engine for the Biblegateway, and it comes up with HUNDREDS of verses on poverty to study about.

BibleGateway - Quick search: Poverty

Here's another link:

What the Bible Says About Poverty

There are many many lessons; the basic of which is love which is also called "Charity". Charity is love. And it comes from the heart, or true charity does. Not in the form of getting some "self glory". Like - "Guess what everyone, I gave $100 to the Salvation Army today" That's all about self glory.

There's specific verse on that in giving/alms:

Matthew 5
6 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

Here's another regarding a poor women giving a penny, compared to those who have alot and didn't give as much:
Mark 12
41 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.

42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.

43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:

44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

Overall, I beleive it is our hearts that are given the lesson in the times we are either poor or rich in the "world".

There is no doubt, that the Bible talks about poverty so many times, but that is not the issue? Talking about poverty is not the same as saying, the Will of God is poverty? The same Bible also talks about prosperity, but that does not prove, that the Will of God is prosperity, however the Bible provides us with very specific prosperity scriptures, which proves beyond any reasonable doubt that the Will of God is prosperity?
In my original post, on this thread, I cited specific scriptures where God rewarded or promised to reward His people with prosperity?
If God's Will is poverty, where are the specific scriptures, where God rewarded or promised to reward, his people with poverty?
Why would the Bible, give us specific scriptures promising prosperity and as far as I know, no scriptures promising us poverty?
I reviewed your links, and failed to notice a single scripture, where God impoverished or promised His people poverty?

Matthew 5:1-12 - .................. Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven ....................

The above scriptures, has nothing to do with poverty or prosperity? Being poor in spirit is not the same as being poor in material terms? Both rich and poor can be poor in spirit, and both rich and poor can be rich in spirit? There are cold-blooded poor criminals, just as there are cold-blooded rich criminals? Your economic status does not determine your spiritual condition?

Matthew 6:1-4 - Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men ......

Why would Jesus talk about giving or charity, if all His followers were poor and had nothing to spare? How much giving or charity do the poor do? And how can anyone give alms or charity, if they are too poor or struggling with their own bills?
And if poverty was the Will of God, wouldn't giving alms or charity, be against the Will of God, since such actions may end the poverty? How would Jesus tell His followers to do, what is against the Will of God?

Mark 12:41-44 - ............. this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury; for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty....

Once again, this scripture has nothing to do with, what the Will of God is regarding poverty or prosperity? In the above scripture, Jesus did not condemn prosperity, but He simply compared how much the people gave in relation to how much they had? Jesus never said, the giving of the rich did not count, but that the poor widow's giving counted for more?
Everything is relative. When a billionaire who gives $100 and a regular guy gives $20, the regular guy has given more, but that does not mean the billionaires $100 does not count or mean anything?
If every church depended only on the giving of the poor, how many churches would be able to pay their bills or spread the gospel to other parts of the world, which is what Jesus commanded?

Matthew 2:11 - Then (the wisemen) opening their treasure bags, they presented to Him(Jesus) gifts - gold, frankincense and myrrh ...

If poverty was the Will of God, why did Jesus and His parents accept very valuable gifts, that were carried in more than one treasure bag and could be converted into a lot of money or invested, therefore prospering them?
What did Jesus and His family do with this treasure of very high value? Why would Jesus accept wealth and tell other people to be poor?

Hebrews 8:6 - ....... a better covenant, which was established on better promises ....

Can any promise of poverty ever be better or is there anything better about poverty? If God prospered people under the Old Covenant, which was inferior to the New Covenant, why would He not prosper people under the New Covenant, which is far better than the Old Covenant? And if the blood of animals was worth something under the Old Covenant, how much is the Blood of Jesus worth, under the New Covenant?

Malachi 3:6 - For I am the Lord, I do not change

If God prospered people under the inferior Old Covenant, but does not prosper people under the superior New Covenant, wouldn't that mean He has changed?
And If God could prosper people under an inferior covenant and impoverish people under a superior or better covenant, how can our New Covenant be called better?

Romans 2:11 - For God shows no partiality, with Him one man is not different from another

If God prospered some, but not others, wouldn't He be practicing partiality or bias?

Acts 10:34 - God shows no partiality and is no respecter of persons

If God treats everyone the same, why would He make some rich and others poor?

Last edited:
What is a tenth of 1000000. Above that tenth is the "gift".

A tenth of 1 million is a 100,000. A tenth or a tithe is 10% and anything above that is a gift or an offering.
And may you elaborate further on your point? I am not sure, that I understand it fully?

Prosperity Sermon(Video):

- [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g6tiM3Suj8]Keith Moore Would Jesus wear a Rolex Pt 9 Help the Poor Get rich - YouTube[/ame]

Perhaps god just can't make up his mind.

What amazes me is that anyone is still surprised that the bible contradicts itself.

Don't kill - kill em all. Children are gods gift - kill those little bastards for disrespecting their parents. The rich are going to have a hell of a time getting into heaven - But all gods best friends are rich....

Amazing.

Perhaps god just can't make up his mind.

What amazes me is that anyone is still surprised that the bible contradicts itself.

Don't kill - kill em all. Children are gods gift - kill those little bastards for disrespecting their parents. The rich are going to have a hell of a time getting into heaven - But all gods best friends are rich....

Amazing.

2 Timothy 2:15 - Study ........ correctly analyzing and accurately dividing, the Word of Truth.

If the Bible tells us to correctly analyze and accurately divide, the Word of Truth, that means there is a possibility of wrongly analyzing and inaccurately dividing the Word of Truth, and therefore drawing the wrong conclusions?
For those who have never seriously studied the Bible, it appears contradictory, even though it is not, because there is a tendency by casual Bible readers to pick and choose scriptures, while ignoring the context?
It would be more helpful, if you cited specific scriptures, so we can examine and analyze them, rather than making allegations, without scriptural reference?

Forum List

Back