Is There One Sound/valid Syllogistic Argument For The Existence Of God?

What we all know to be necessarily true is that 2 + 2 = 4 in our minds every time we think it, whether we like it or not; i.e., we cannot escape that belief, and that unshakable belief is knowledge about the human condition, something we know to be true about human cognition!

I wanted to specifically address your posts to me, but I didn't feel compelled to quote all of the volumes you posted, so I pulled this paragraph to sumarize.

My argument was, we can only believe truth, we can't ever know truth. What we may believe is truth, regardless of how unshakable or logical it may be, regardless of how profoundly we believe, may still not be THE truth. Certainty is a conclusion of faith.

Let's take your example... 2+2=4. You put two apples in your basket and reach for two more, when you go to put them in your basket, there is only one apple in the basket. Logic and reason tells you that maybe you were mistaken the first time, maybe you only grabbed one instead of two... no problem, you grab another apple from the shelf and off you go... when you get to the checkout counter, there are now 5 apples. So what WAS the TRUTH? There is no explanation which doesn't defy logic. You can believe any number of possibilities... you saw one apple when there were really two... you really suck at math... you had too many beers before shopping... someone is messing with you... apples are magic... all kinds of things can be possible truths.

2+2=4 in our understandable universe of logic, math and physics. But does 2+2=4 in quantum reality or a parallel universe? We don't know this. One of the most important principles in quantum physics is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. Werner Heisenberg stated that the more precisely the position of some particle is determined, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa. So we don't really know for certain that 2+2=4, although that is our perception and logical assumption. In short, we believe 2+2=4, therefore, it does.

Now... there is a wide range of what humans perceive as "knowing" for certain when that isn't really the case. For instance, you can find numerous times in this thread where someone will say, "We know there was a big bang which started the universe.." Well, we don't KNOW that. We BELIEVE that. The same is true with 2+2=4, we don't KNOW that, we BELIEVE that. Does that make it true? Perhaps, but we don't know for certain unless we have faith in what we believe is certain.

There is no universal or collective perception of reality. Each human entity experiences a different perception of reality, meaning that reality is subject to individual perspective. The reality you experience is different from mine or anyone elses because we have different perspectives. Our perspectives and perceptions may be similar, in fact, so similar that we can concur on "certain absolutes" but that doesn't mean they are truth. Again, it is a matter of our faith in what we believe to be the truth based on our perception of reality.

As for all your intellectual brow-beating and bullying me in front of the Atheists in order to shame me into embracing your argument, it's not working. I realize this is a tactic you like to use, and it simply doesn't phase me in the least. I believe in a Spiritual God the same as you, and we have a thread full of people who don't. Seems you would be more cordial to someone who shares your perspective on that, but you believe it somehow weakens your argument to acknowledge my perspective, and that's okay. I am accustomed to people not acknowledging my perspectives.

Actually, Boss, after seeing Justin's post, I read your post again, and I apologize. I need to be clear here because much of what you say is true. I don't disagree with those things. As I already told you, of course, there's a unique, subjective element to everyone's experience of reality, but that doesn't change the fact of the things that are understood by all of us, like 2 + 2 = 4 and The Seven Things! You're not wrong about everything, but your basic premise is wrong or irrelevant.

We have to believe certain things in order to function, do anything in the world beyond the world of ideas, and those things we call knowledge. But you didn't deserve "the no moral right" thing. Your beliefs are sincere. Others are on this thread lying through their teeth about these truths. It's especially outrageous as my position is not to impose any personal biases on anything or tell anyone what they should decide for themselves about what all these things mean taken together.

Nevertheless, the basic essence of your premise would, if it were true, but it's not, undermine the evidence for God's existence. Please don't take offense. I like you, Boss, and it wasn't my intent to put you down. I know I'm not the most sensitive guy on the planet, but I do not gratuitously insult people. But it's important to hold these truths up and see them for what they are. Also, I've already said that objectively speaking we can imagine that everything is an illusion, but what's the practical point of that given that it would make no difference to us even if that seemingly absurd possibility were true.

Also, things like the Big Bang or any scientific theory at all are in fact less certain than the immediate axioms that are in our minds.

Thank you.

I don't get you Boss, nothing you're saying weakens the stuff Rawlings has said at all. The understanding of the things listed by him are true. What we believe and know are basically the same thing in the end, the real test is are our beliefs true or not.

I don't get you Boss, nothing you're saying weakens the stuff Rawlings has said at all.

Perhaps the reason you don't get me is, I am not disagreeing with Rawlings (or you). I'm not trying to weaken or refute his argument, it is very compelling and well-reasoned, in my opinion. In fact, I might even say it is a quite brilliant argument. However, it IS an argument.

My only point of contention is regarding the human ability to know truth, to know something absolutely, to be omniscient. At the risk of confusing you even more, objectivity is subjective. I know that sounds totally contradictory, but that doesn't make it untrue. We assign meanings to words. Objectively means we have evaluated the evidence without bias and considered all possibilities.... but since we are humans with biases and not omniscient, and can never know all possibility, this is impossible. When we say we are being "objective" it is a testament to our faith in the belief we have evaluated all the evidence and weighed all the possibilities. We think we have, we believe we have, we can't KNOW we have, it's not possible.

Commonsense tells us that objectivity is not subjectivity. They are not the same things. A dog is not cat. That is nonsensical. All you're really saying is that we can't have any knowledge without God. I already know that. That's the whole point of the TAG. What someone believes is knowledge to them, but that doesn't mean that what they believe is true knowledge. Commonsense.

Actually, it is you religious extremists who are the ones making absolute claims to a magical, supernatural entity.

Explain to us how you, a finite being, knows that God, a possibility that cannot be logically eliminated, doesn't exist.

Explain to us how it is logically possible for you to say God doesn't exist. Tell us what this statement really means: "I, Hollie, a finite being, know that God (the Creator) doesn't exist."

If you're going to make absolute claims that require belief in magic and supernaturalism and which are utterly unsupported with facts or evidence, well, if the shoe fits....

You've gotten what you believe confused with what we believe. Spiritual energy created physical existence, there is nothing magical or supernatural to that. You are the one who believes in magic-- where something comes from nothing for no reason, nothing explodes into something, bits of matter rearrange for no reason to form self-replicating matter, for no reason, this makes dinosaurs. The magic keeps on happening until humans are produced for no reason, and then... they invent a belief in something that isn't real but it somehow, for no reason, manages to help them evolve into extraordinary entities capable of amazing things through inspiration in what they imagined.

What we all know to be necessarily true is that 2 + 2 = 4 in our minds every time we think it, whether we like it or not; i.e., we cannot escape that belief, and that unshakable belief is knowledge about the human condition, something we know to be true about human cognition!

I wanted to specifically address your posts to me, but I didn't feel compelled to quote all of the volumes you posted, so I pulled this paragraph to sumarize.

My argument was, we can only believe truth, we can't ever know truth. What we may believe is truth, regardless of how unshakable or logical it may be, regardless of how profoundly we believe, may still not be THE truth. Certainty is a conclusion of faith.

Let's take your example... 2+2=4. You put two apples in your basket and reach for two more, when you go to put them in your basket, there is only one apple in the basket. Logic and reason tells you that maybe you were mistaken the first time, maybe you only grabbed one instead of two... no problem, you grab another apple from the shelf and off you go... when you get to the checkout counter, there are now 5 apples. So what WAS the TRUTH? There is no explanation which doesn't defy logic. You can believe any number of possibilities... you saw one apple when there were really two... you really suck at math... you had too many beers before shopping... someone is messing with you... apples are magic... all kinds of things can be possible truths.

2+2=4 in our understandable universe of logic, math and physics. But does 2+2=4 in quantum reality or a parallel universe? We don't know this. One of the most important principles in quantum physics is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. Werner Heisenberg stated that the more precisely the position of some particle is determined, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa. So we don't really know for certain that 2+2=4, although that is our perception and logical assumption. In short, we believe 2+2=4, therefore, it does.

Now... there is a wide range of what humans perceive as "knowing" for certain when that isn't really the case. For instance, you can find numerous times in this thread where someone will say, "We know there was a big bang which started the universe.." Well, we don't KNOW that. We BELIEVE that. The same is true with 2+2=4, we don't KNOW that, we BELIEVE that. Does that make it true? Perhaps, but we don't know for certain unless we have faith in what we believe is certain.

There is no universal or collective perception of reality. Each human entity experiences a different perception of reality, meaning that reality is subject to individual perspective. The reality you experience is different from mine or anyone elses because we have different perspectives. Our perspectives and perceptions may be similar, in fact, so similar that we can concur on "certain absolutes" but that doesn't mean they are truth. Again, it is a matter of our faith in what we believe to be the truth based on our perception of reality.

As for all your intellectual brow-beating and bullying me in front of the Atheists in order to shame me into embracing your argument, it's not working. I realize this is a tactic you like to use, and it simply doesn't phase me in the least. I believe in a Spiritual God the same as you, and we have a thread full of people who don't. Seems you would be more cordial to someone who shares your perspective on that, but you believe it somehow weakens your argument to acknowledge my perspective, and that's okay. I am accustomed to people not acknowledging my perspectives.

Actually, Boss, after seeing Justin's post, I read your post again, and I apologize. I need to be clear here because much of what you say is true. I don't disagree with those things. As I already told you, of course, there's a unique, subjective element to everyone's experience of reality, but that doesn't change the fact of the things that are understood by all of us, like 2 + 2 = 4 and The Seven Things! You're not wrong about everything, but your basic premise is wrong or irrelevant.

We have to believe certain things in order to function, do anything in the world beyond the world of ideas, and those things we call knowledge. But you didn't deserve "the no moral right" thing. Your beliefs are sincere. Others are on this thread lying through their teeth about these truths. It's especially outrageous as my position is not to impose any personal biases on anything or tell anyone what they should decide for themselves about what all these things mean taken together.

Nevertheless, the basic essence of your premise would, if it were true, but it's not, undermine the evidence for God's existence. Please don't take offense. I like you, Boss, and it wasn't my intent to put you down. I know I'm not the most sensitive guy on the planet, but I do not gratuitously insult people. But it's important to hold these truths up and see them for what they are. Also, I've already said that objectively speaking we can imagine that everything is an illusion, but what's the practical point of that given that it would make no difference to us even if that seemingly absurd possibility were true.

Also, things like the Big Bang or any scientific theory at all are in fact less certain than the immediate axioms that are in our minds.

Thank you.

I don't get you Boss, nothing you're saying weakens the stuff Rawlings has said at all. The understanding of the things listed by him are true. What we believe and know are basically the same thing in the end, the real test is are our beliefs true or not.

I don't get you Boss, nothing you're saying weakens the stuff Rawlings has said at all.

Perhaps the reason you don't get me is, I am not disagreeing with Rawlings (or you). I'm not trying to weaken or refute his argument, it is very compelling and well-reasoned, in my opinion. In fact, I might even say it is a quite brilliant argument. However, it IS an argument.

My only point of contention is regarding the human ability to know truth, to know something absolutely, to be omniscient. At the risk of confusing you even more, objectivity is subjective. I know that sounds totally contradictory, but that doesn't make it untrue. We assign meanings to words. Objectively means we have evaluated the evidence without bias and considered all possibilities.... but since we are humans with biases and not omniscient, and can never know all possibility, this is impossible. When we say we are being "objective" it is a testament to our faith in the belief we have evaluated all the evidence and weighed all the possibilities. We think we have, we believe we have, we can't KNOW we have, it's not possible.

Commonsense tells us that objectivity is not subjectivity. They are not the same things. A dog is not cat. That is nonsensical. All you're really saying is that we can't have any knowledge without God. I already know that. That's the whole point of the TAG. What someone believes is knowledge to them, but that doesn't mean that what they believe is true knowledge. Commonsense.

Why are you still attacking me? Are you too fucking stupid to understand that I believe, like you do, in a spiritual creator, and I am not the enemy? What is your problem? Why are you defiantly rejecting anything I have to say? It makes absolutely NO sense to me whatsoever.

You're a fucking hard head. Plain and simple. You think that whatever you say, whatever your opinion is, is the only VALID argument, and everyone else is wrong. You refuse to even consider what I have said, it just flies right over your silly head because I don't kiss your ass.

Common sense is very often WRONG! It was once "common sense" that the Earth was flat. It was "common sense" that things had gravity because they longed to be near the earth and other things had levity because they longed to be in the heavens. It was "common sense" that things slow down because they get tired. It is "common sense" which leads Atheists to believe life evolved from a single cell.

Objectivity is subjective. I told you when I said it that it sounded contradictory, then I explained exactly what I meant, but you completely ignored that. Instead of trying to understand what I said, you jumped on it as something "dumb to say" and completely missed my point. I can't make you try to see my point because you've bowed up at me and decided that you're just going to disagree with anything I have to say.

But you see... YOU are not the only individual who is reading this post or this thread. Others can read it and determine for themselves if what I said makes sense, and it really doesn't matter what you think.

This is the behavior of persons who are telling us they have no real regard for the dignity, the humanity, the rights of others. It's not accidental that most atheists tend to be statists.

you haven't just conducted yourself as you have made the accusation ... what Atheists are there you are talking about as perhaps only one comes to mind and no one that fits your description.

the idea of being Hardwired by a Deity is a claim made by M.D. Rawlings.

The idea that God exists as the Creator of everything else that exists, exists in our minds!

"exists in our minds" ...

False. I have never asserted any such thing without qualification. What I have asserted, objectively, and rightly so, is that the incontrovertible axiom that God exits is bioneurologically hardwired. That's a rational and empirical fact of human cognition.

What you do with that is up to you.

False. I have never asserted any such thing without qualification. What I have asserted, objectively, and rightly so, is that the incontrovertible axiom that God exits is bioneurologically hardwired. That's a rational and empirical fact of human cognition.

colorado-columbine.jpg

no, it is not bioneurologically anything, you simply do not understand the Almighty ... to bad for you.

The axiom is hardwired, at the very least, bioneurologically, as the fundamental laws of thought are universal. One can objectively and justifiably assert that. To assert the existence of an immaterial soul, however, would bias the matter. Nevertheless, this assertion in no way, shape or form necessarily precludes that the laws of thought persist above the level of the material realm of being.

R: To assert the existence of an immaterial soul, however, would bias the matter.

so it is your physiology you will be Admitting to the Everlasting and leaving your Spirit behind -

good luck with that Rawlings.

BreezeWood, I am not saying that there is no soul or spirit. I have never said that, ever! I am saying that the only thing I can OBJECTIVELY or SCIENTIFICALLY assert is that which makes us humans, sets us apart from all other terrestrial life in terms of physical nature, is at the very least bioneurologically hardwired. The rational forms and logical categories of human cognition, including the three laws of organic thought and the axioms thereof are bioneurologically hardwired. That's tautological true.

That is not controversial.

Stop quibbling, going in circles, talking banalities. Any more posts from you that do not emphatically acknowledge what I am saying will be ignored.

If you're going to make absolute claims that require belief in magic and supernaturalism and which are utterly unsupported with facts or evidence, well, if the shoe fits....

You've gotten what you believe confused with what we believe. Spiritual energy created physical existence, there is nothing magical or supernatural to that. You are the one who believes in magic-- where something comes from nothing for no reason, nothing explodes into something, bits of matter rearrange for no reason to form self-replicating matter, for no reason, this makes dinosaurs. The magic keeps on happening until humans are produced for no reason, and then... they invent a belief in something that isn't real but it somehow, for no reason, manages to help them evolve into extraordinary entities capable of amazing things through inspiration in what they imagined.
"Spiritual energy created physical existence"
You just make that up, or have you been living in a fantasy world for a long time?

Actually, it is you religious extremists who are the ones making absolute claims to a magical, supernatural entity.

Explain to us how you, a finite being, knows that God, a possibility that cannot be logically eliminated, doesn't exist.

Explain to us how it is logically possible for you to say God doesn't exist. Tell us what this statement really means: "I, Hollie, a finite being, know that God (the Creator) doesn't exist."
Agnostic is the thinking person's position, as there's no proof for or against the possibility of a god.

You just make that up, or have you been living in a fantasy world for a long time?

No, it's just basic logic. Things can't create themselves if they don't exist... it's a paradox. You can't explain it any other way because there is no other logical explanation. The "fantasy" is believing in something totally illogical. That's what YOU believe.

Agnostic is the thinking person's position, as there's no proof for or against the possibility of a god.

But you are not an agnostic. You repeatedly mock the idea and concept of God and ridicule those who believe in God. You totally dismiss any possibility of God as silly superstitious nonsense that man dreamed up to console his fears. Now, I will agree... you certainly aren't a "thinking person!"

While I did thank you for the post. Wrong! The evidence, both rational and empirical, overwhelmingly supports the conclusion that God must be, and the term God as Creator, in spite of what some are saying, is the first and foremost descriptor in every one of the classical proofs for His existence, with the Transcendental Argument being the hands down most powerfully compelling. Moreover, the descriptor Creator necessarily is the first and penultimate essence of the universal construct of God as the uncaused Cause of everything else that exists. We do not rationally assume anything less than the highest expression of this construct, sentience, without begging the question. Hence, Creator!

These are proofs, logical proofs. Science doesn't prove things at all. Logic proves or disproves things. Logic tells us what is coherently rational and, therefore, possible. It is the use of logic and the conventions of philosophy by which we dictate the parameters of science, which only tentatively verifies or falsifies things, and it is logic that is applied to the processes of the scientific method that tells us what things are justifiably verified or falsified, and tells us what the distinction is between the two.

Logic necessarily entails propositions of linguistic and mathematical proofs!

For all the science loathing vitriol spewed by you religious cranks, all that remains is the use of evidence and reason to discriminate between which of our competing theories deserves the greatest confidence. And since we actually have direct observational evidence that natural law exists (and has existed as far back in time as we can observe), while we have no observational evidence of any kind that "gods" exist, the choice is not a difficult one. At least... not difficult for an objective judge who has managed to divorce themselves from a prior commitment to dogma.

Still cock blocking, I see. Still spouting pseudoscientific nonsense.
Still a crude, ignorant low life, I see.

For all the warm and fuzzy mystical attractiveness generated from appeals to magical gawds and supernatural realms, I must point out that a demonstration or some evidence of these gods is in order before we can move on to something more than wishful thinking. Your “feelings” of gods are firmly in the realm of wishful speculation and it will be a stretch from here to something deserving of serious consideration

Science is based on theory that is backed up by facts and mountains of data. That we all know, and it is demonstrable, even if folks like you cavalierly dismiss it (and sound laughably like flat-earthers by doing so, by the way). You religious zealots assert a supernatural cause and can't even answer the most fundamentally flawed elements of your own appeals to magic and supernaturalism.

You're right. Theists are fools, idiots, morons, flat earthers, jackasses, liars, creeps, zealots, magical thinkers, charlatans. I know you've called us those things. If there's any other names you've called us, you're right about those too. All of your insults are true. Theists are worthless, stupid pigs. They are never right. They are wrong about everything. You are the only one who is ever right. Amen. May the force be with you.

Dear Hollie:
Here is where you are making a leap

You keep defining God = something magic supernatural that you don't believe in

I agree God is not that thing

So why keep starting the proof there

Are you okay with any of these things, which do you agree exists and explains all the forces and events in the world

God = Life, Nature, forces of Nature
God = collective truth, collective universe, sum of all things ever existent, known or unknown
God = Love, energy connecting all people as one humanity, Unconditional Love that naturally exists
God = Good will for all humanity
God = Wisdom (close to God = Truth or God = knowledge as MD equates to God = Creator)

If we agree that God = colelctive body of all knowledge, truth, wisdom
can we start there

And stp before THIS step
A. the leap MD makes by jumping from God = knowledge to God = Creator that has to exist or it runs into contradicitons
B. the leap you make by jumping from God = knowledge to God = some magical supernatural being that can't exist

What is the step BEFORE those conflicting leaps?

God = knowledge or what?

Can you name one thing that determines
what is going on in the world, what is true or false?

Numan said he called the highest default level
"spiritual reality" and another researcher into prayer
called it "the absolute" that even atheists have a concept of but call it different things

What do you call the central or default point of
where truth and knowledge exists? can we start there where we agree
and define and use only terms that mean something consistent to both people?

No, it's just basic logic. Things can't create themselves if they don't exist... it's a paradox. You can't explain it any other way because there is no other logical explanation. The "fantasy" is believing in something totally illogical. That's what YOU believe.

Not proveable.

It is possible for things to have always existed and didn't have a beginning or end.

Boss it is possible and may be necessary to set up the proof process
WITHOUT assuming that God/Creation had a beginning since this is faith based.
As you said we cannot know truth, but can only believe.

i have found this point does not need to be agreed upon
in order to agree on the other points and principles that are universal.

These points and principles work, whether things in creation have a beginning or not.
the laws that affect our world operate the same way and do not rely on agreeing on all things like this question.

If we waste time arguing about that, we don't move to the points and principles we can agree on that make a difference.
this one doesn't have to be an issue.

I haven't been arguing from the concept that everything or anything that exists was created by a Creator. That is a different argument from what the OP asks. But until you can PROVE that everything that exists did not have a Creator or any of the other 'certainties' you express, you are whistling in the dark and coming from a position of faith as much as anybody else posting on this thread.

"Is There One Sound/valid Syllogistic Argument For The Existence Of God?"

1. The construct God means Creator! That's what the term God denoting the construct in its objectively highest sense means: a sentient, uncaused Cause of all other things that exist.

2. In formal logic, the term argument means proof. Logical arguments are logical proofs! If the premises of any given syllogistic proof are demonstrably or pragmatically held to be justifiable true knowledge and are coherently related to one another and to the conclusion, the logical proof and it's conclusion are held to be valid until such time that an inherent contradiction is deduced from them or any one of the premises is falsified.

We do not prove or disprove things in science. We tentatively verify or falsify things in science. We prove or disprove things in logic, and in logic only. If you're gong to use terms like prove or proof in the informal sense, then tell us that you are using these terms in the informal sense; otherwise, your posts are confusing, especially to the atheist who understands science, mathematics and logic. Check?

Hence:

"Is There One Sound/Valid [factually and coherently justifiable] Syllogistic Argument [logical proof] For The Existence of God [a sentient, uncaused Cause of all other things that exist]

Worse, you're confusing people with your mysteriously subjective, ill-defined standard for the construct God in your Cosmological Argument/Proof when you disregard the fact of the endless objections that can be raised when you fail to assert the foundational apriority of the Cosmological Argument: from nothing, nothing comes, i.e., reductio ad absurdum of the irreducible mind or of the infinite regression of origin. It is necessary to define/assert the construct of God in its objectively highest standard, as otherwise you are begging the question.

Thusly, the only objection left to the antagonist is some form of pantheism. But this objection demonstrates that the antagonist is conscious of the fact that (1) the objectively highest standard that is logically possible would ultimately be a non-contingent transcendence and is conscious of the fact that (2) he cannot logically rule out the possibility of God’s existence.

That's how you handle the Cosmological Argument . . . then assert "The Seven Things". Better yet, start with "The Seven Things," the incontrovertibly objective facts of human cognition regarding the problems of existence and origin, which includes the bullet proof Transcendental Argument; you know, the leading argument that the Bible makes.

Dear Breezewood: Can you please reply to my questions below?
I am trying to resolve why we miscommunicated so badly
that you thought I was like Hitler which is the exact opposite of my approach
that is all inclusive and universalist, treating all people and views as equally important to the whole.

Also below is the humorous approach if that works better!
Here is the serious approach:

Dear Breezewood: I already posted a reply querying how you came up with
this comparison to Hitler which seems the exact opposite of my nature.

I apologize that the miscommunication between us got so far off the mark
that you got the opposite impression of what I was trying to say.

Please reply to that msg and explain how I am anything like Hitler,
I am most curious to know.

As for this message, I will try to backtrack and find out where we talked past
each other and crossed wires.

1. weren't you saying that the belief in the Christian God
was falsely hardwired?

if not I apologize because I thought you were
negating MD statement about God as Creator

2. Now I saw your msg where you are saying the Almighty exists
but that MD is misportraying God

So my questions are this
a. do you agree that MD's perception of God is hardwired or not
b. if it can change then why are you insulting him or me as if that is going
to inspire anyone to change?
c. if it cannot change then why are you insulting him or me
d. And WHY can't both ways of perceiving God co-exist?

What is WRONG with this
A. atheists and nontheists who see laws and nature in terms of science
B. Buddhist who see spiritual laws in terms of Wisdom and nature that is interconnected
C. pagans who may see the world as life energy in the Creation or Mother Earth itself
D. Christians who personify God as a Creator and distinguish this role from Creation
E. Constitutionalists who look at laws as coming from Natural Laws and Human Nature
where some attribute to God as the source and some say these laws are self-existent

Why can't we focus on the laws we DO agree with
and not haggle over how we see the source of where they came from?

Here is the silly response to your statement that made no sense to me, sorry.

Breezewood is to : Breezewood comparing Emily to Hitler
as
Emily is to : http://mentalfloss.com/sites/default/legacy/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/440oolong.jpg

"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a Bunny with a Pancake on its head"

The problem you share with other religious extremists is that the little science knowledge you have is filtered through creationist ministries. Your really naive and just plain ignorant description of biological evolution is straight from the charlatans at the ICR.

Unfortunately, like many who are loathe to accepting science in deference to religious dogma, you don’t understand that we define terms for the purpose of eliminating ambiguity in communication, and it requires no demonstrating of the validity of science vs. the hopelessness of religious dogma to do so, merely agreement on the meaning of the terms.

Within science, the distinction between "fact" and "theory" is completely unambiguous. There is no debate on the meaning of these words, and there is no debate on the relationship between the phenomena they represent. Therefore, religious extremist slogans such as “spiritual energy" and your really nonsensical slogans describing biological evolution just reek of the most extreme of the Christian fundamentalists.

That's why the fundamentalists position is so hopeless. You can't even define your gods, magical spirit realms and supernaturalism with any consistency.

"Things can't create themselves" puts you in the uncomfortable position of yet again refuting your own argument.

If your gods (let's call them 1st order gods), inhabiting your magical 1st order spirit realms didn't create themselves, then the magical gods inhabiting magical 2nd order spirit realms must have created your magical 1st order gods and their magical spirit realms.

We're then left to require an entire hierarchy of 3rd order, 4th order, etc., to an infinity of super-super magical gods and spirit realms as the creators of the subordinate magical spirit realms.

Theists are stupid. Theists are stupid. Theists are stupid. Theists are stupid. Theists are stupid. Theists are stupid. Theists are stupid. Theists are stupid. Theists are stupid. Theists are stupid. Theists are stupid. Theists are stupid. Theists are stupid. Theists are stupid.

Amen. May the force be with you

OK Hollie and Justin Davis:
to break up this back and forth business going nowhere,
may I challenge both of you to the Bullring?

My challenge to you is that Spiritual Healing can be demonstrated by science as being consistent with natural laws
of health and healing so this is proveable in terms of how science is traditionally used to VERIFY or falsify things;
that the concept and process of Christian deliverance prayer is the only/unique cure to casting out
demonic voices and personalities making people exhibit schizophrenic or criminal/mentally ill delusions
as in the case of David Berkowitz and the two patients Scott Peck wrote about in his book "Glimpses of the Devil".

So that by using science to prove these things are consistent with real effects and positive cures
of diseased conditions,

then two things result that end the above argument
A. this ends the notion that the teachings in Christianity are all false magical or supernatural
things that don't exist, because Spiritual Healing can be established to be consistent with natural science
B. that if this is proven consistent, then people like Hollie and Justin agree to use
THIS proof of Spiritual Healing to explain these principles to secular gentiles who rely on science
and agree to QUIT pushing "magical faith-based arguments" that make leaps and make no sense
to secular gentiles.

So I challenge you to
A. look into spiritual healing and see why I am saying science can explain, document or prove
this is consistent with natural healing health and science, and that it does show how
Christian healing prayer is unique as the only cure for certain demonic or satanic/occult related disorders
and abuses
B. and this proof will stop the endless argument above between Hollie and Justin and other
theists and atheists, by AGREEING to use the science argument and show it proves the points in religion
without relying on supernatural or magical thinking or belief in things that cannot be proven scientifically

Here are the webpages for resources I would use to set up such a proof of spiritual healing
Home - Christian Healing Ministries
Healing Is Yours
http://www.listentothecriesofthechlidren.org 713 829 0899 my friend Olivia Reiner with this nonprofit outreach has already been trying to set up teams to document the medical cases of spiritual healing over her 35 years of free help to people. Francis MacNutt wrote his book on HEALING in 1974 and updated it in 1999 to include studies by doctors on how the intervention healing prayer had impact on Rheumatoid Arthritis that could only be attributed to the helaing prayer, and at least one man was completely cured from being crippled to walking pain free without needing any medication.

This would end the argument by bridging the gap between science and religion
and show that the process is natural and works for people of all faiths, not just Christians,
although casting out the demons is done using only the central authority of Christ Jesus so that part is unique and Christians are right about that, too.

Thanks! If you want to look inot this first, I can still set up a thread in the Bullring and challenge both of you to reach an agreement how to set up such a proof to end this back and forth bitching about atheists v theists.

I haven't been arguing from the concept that everything or anything that exists was created by a Creator. That is a different argument from what the OP asks. But until you can PROVE that everything that exists did not have a Creator or any of the other 'certainties' you express, you are whistling in the dark and coming from a position of faith as much as anybody else posting on this thread.

"Is There One Sound/valid Syllogistic Argument For The Existence Of God?"

1. The construct God means Creator! That's what the term God denoting the construct in its objectively highest sense means: a sentient, uncaused Cause of all other things that exist.

2. In formal logic, the term argument means proof. Logical arguments are logical proofs! If the premises of any given syllogistic proof are demonstrably or pragmatically held to be justifiable true knowledge and are coherently related to one another and to the conclusion, the logical proof and it's conclusion are held to be valid until such time that an inherent contradiction is deduced from them or any one of the premises is falsified.

We do not prove or disprove things in science. We tentatively verify or falsify things in science. We prove or disprove things in logic, and in logic only. If you're gong to use terms like prove or proof in the informal sense, then tell us that you are using these terms in the informal sense; otherwise, your posts are confusing, especially to the atheist who understands science, mathematics and logic. Check?

Hence:

"Is There One Sound/Valid [factually and coherently justifiable] Syllogistic Argument [logical proof] For The Existence of God [a sentient, uncaused Cause of all other things that exist]

Worse, you're confusing people with your mysteriously subjective, ill-defined standard for the construct God in your Cosmological Argument/Proof when you disregard the fact of the endless objections that can be raised when you fail to assert the foundational apriority of the Cosmological Argument: from nothing, nothing comes, i.e., reductio ad absurdum of the irreducible mind or of the infinite regression of origin. It is necessary to define/assert the construct of God in its objectively highest standard, as otherwise you are begging the question.

Thusly, the only objection left to the antagonist is some form of pantheism. But this objection demonstrates that the antagonist is conscious of the fact that (1) the objectively highest standard that is logically possible would ultimately be a non-contingent transcendence and is conscious of the fact that (2) he cannot logically rule out the possibility of God’s existence.

That's how you handle the Cosmological Argument . . . then assert "The Seven Things". Better yet, start with "The Seven Things," the incontrovertibly objective facts of human cognition regarding the problems of existence and origin, which includes the bullet proof Transcendental Argument; you know, the leading argument that the Bible makes.
As with all religious fundamentalists, you presume that the gods of your familial, geographic circumstances are "the gods". It's actually comical to watch as you cut and paste the same tired slogans of your hastily and carelessly assembled "seven things" after your amateurish "five things" disaster was shot down in flames.

Your now ridiculous "seven things" I've had to revise because the absurdity was just too good to resist.

Your other cut and paste slogan, the truly laughable "incontrovertibly objective facts of human cognition regarding the problems of existence and origin, which includes the bullet proof Transcendental Argument" fails to account for that absurdity being refuted by the claims of others with quantitatively different gods.

"Things can't create themselves" puts you in the uncomfortable position of yet again refuting your own argument.

If your gods (let's call them 1st order gods), inhabiting your magical 1st order spirit realms didn't create themselves, then the magical gods inhabiting magical 2nd order spirit realms must have created your magical 1st order gods and their magical spirit realms.

We're then left to require an entire hierarchy of 3rd order, 4th order, etc., to an infinity of super-super magical gods and spirit realms as the creators of the subordinate magical spirit realms.

Dear Hollie and also Boss:
This indirectly backs up what Foxfyre was saying also.

If things have to have a Creator then who created the Creator?

Boss this is also what I mean by the Creation might exist in and of itself with or without a starting point but infinite
which also can be set equal = God

If we say that God is the Creator/starting point.
Then something had to create that, so that means THAT point is
the Creator/starting point.
But then something had to create THAT, so you call THAT point the ultimate, etc.

If you do this to infinity, then God = infinite with no beginning and no end

So this is perfectly OK to define God = that collective whole
whether you see it as having a starting point or you see it as infinite

Either way God = collective whole of all things

Your magic "spirit realms" are just your recent invention of gods. "Spirit Realms", "spiritual energy", etc., etc., are no different than gods and demons which are human inventions to placate our fear of the unknown.

Uhm... there is nothing magical about spiritual energy. You are the one who believes in magic... That nothing came from nothing, there was a big bang for no reason, nothing produced something, tiny bits of self-replicating matter magically gathered and made dinosaurs.

And no... Spirituality was not invented to placate fears of the unknown because that is illogical. Next time you see a spider, say a prayer to 'Imaginary God' and see if that helps you not be afraid of the spider. I'm betting it has absolutely no affect whatsoever.
"Nothing came from nothing" is not an argument I've ever made. The so-called Big Bang was a major disruption to time and space. All of the events surrounding that event are not fully understood. But to automatically assign the magic and supernaturalism of your gawds as the cause tells we don't have any reason to investigate. How does anyone your magical spirit realms?

The rational and empirical evidence overwhelmingly supports the conclusion that God must be. That observation in no way, shape or form precludes the endeavors of science. Non sequitur.

The Big Bang did not disrupt time and space. It constitutes the moment right after time began as we know it now and the beginning of space.

“All of the events surrounding that event” are not understood!

It seems, for example, that the singularity of the Big Bang emerged from a fluctuation in the quantum vacuum that existed before the singularity. We don’t know what the quantum vacuum is beyond the mathematic laws of physics and we don’t know what came before the quantum vacuum, if anything, scientifically. For all we know at this point, scientifically, the quantum vacuum may have always existed.

Forum List

Back