Is there such thing as "universal morality"?

Keep picking the bits you like, that's the way to go.

Now you're trolling.
No, hes spot on. You are a "cafeteria Christian". And don't get me wrong, I am very pleased that you are. The last thing we need is a bunch of fundie christians running around trying to own slaves, and kill babies of infidels, and stoning women to death for adultery, etc etc.

Wrong. After all, how can I or anyone else positively KNOW that the bible is the inspired word of God? Additionally, the scripture he quoted is from the Old Testament. Christianity is based on the New Testament.

Wrong. After all, how can I or anyone else positively KNOW that the bible is the inspired word of God?
That's why you have to pick the bits you like. You might be a Deist rather than a Christian if you can't accept the Christian god.

After all, how can I or anyone else positively KNOW that the bible is the inspired word of God?
Right, so you pick and choose the parts which suit you, and discard the rest. Precisely what I said. Do you plan to make my points for me all night? Sweet.

Wow. Obviously strong in mind, morals and faith. Or perhaps the compartments are breaking down.

After all, how can I or anyone else positively KNOW that the bible is the inspired word of God?
Right, so you pick and choose the parts which suit you, and discard the rest. Precisely what I said. Do you plan to make my points for me all night? Sweet.

You're another that, apparently, isn't interested in a two-way discussion. You're intention is to troll.

In any case, if morals are community norms, which I consider the case, I can't bring to mind any that are universal.

You're another that, apparently, isn't interested in a two-way discussion.
You are not prepared to address the contradictions in your positions.

I did. I answered honestly. I don't if any of the bible is true. How could anyone know if the bible is the actual word of God? Are you going to, for once, honestly answer a question or shall I anticipate more trolling?

And if the bible isn't accurate, does that then mean that the universe made itself?

You're another that, apparently, isn't interested in a two-way discussion.
No, I get what you are saying. But the fact remains that you take away the parts you choose, by your standard, and leave the others behind. That is still my point.

Which begs the follow up question: You made it clear you do not know which parts of the Bible are the infallible "word of God", and which are not. I assert that you use the ethical amd moral gifts you possess chiefly due to the genetic accident of where and when you were born. Your OWN morality. Your OWN ethics. And you retro fit the parts of the Bible you choose to them.

Again, faith.

When hard proof is absent, many rely on faith, but having faith isn't the same as knowing. It's impossible for anyone to KNOW if the bible is or isn't the inspired word of God.

...you take away the parts you choose, by your standard, and leave the others behind.

Who doesn't? Any rationale, thinking person would question and reject ideas that don't make sense. Leviticus 25 certainly is contradictory to what comes in the New Testament.

I do believe in Jesus Christ. Countless people have shared their NDE experiences about him. However, I cannot vouch for the authenticity of every passage in the bible.

Forum List

Back