CDZ Is this image a problem for you? Does it disturb you?

There are gun nuts....and anti-gun nuts. Somewhere in between is the place of reason.

Guns are tools. They are tools that have potentially lethal consequences. They should be treated with the respect and care that they deserve.

A "gun culture" doesn't exactly promote that does it?

My grandfather was in the military, he had guns, he had hunting rifles. He did not go to downtown Saltlake City "packing"...EVER.

My culture treat's guns as a useful tool to be treated with respect, secured when not in use and not used as a statement.

That's probably why I have issues with the photo in the OP. Not that they have guns, but that they feel the need to be armed in the kitchen, talking with the dog, chilling with coffee...as if that is totally ordinary. I understand WHY they want to portray the image...but it's not realistic.

A chain saw is good self defense but I'm not going to haul it around.

No...a chain saw is not good self defense while a gun is a good self defense tool.

A chain saw is big, requires gas to run, cannot be carried easily and is useless at even short ranges against an attacker with a gun.....and the weight would make it hard for a small or weak individual to use it...

All of the above are exactly why guns were created.

Since over 16.3 million Americans actually do carry guns for self defense...the photo is actually realistic....and since rapes, robberies and murders occur at home...a lot....why wouldn't a woman or women alone, want to have some means of self defense...since women are often stalked and raped when they are at home....?

Do you guys really believe that crime only happens outside the home? That when it happens the victims know well in advance? That since they know when and where the random violent criminal attack will happen there is no need to carry a gun until that attack is about to happen?

Really?

There are gun nuts....and anti-gun nuts. Somewhere in between is the place of reason.

Guns are tools. They are tools that have potentially lethal consequences. They should be treated with the respect and care that they deserve.

My grandfather was in the military, he had guns, he had hunting rifles. He did not go to downtown Saltlake City "packing"...EVER.

My culture treat's guns as a useful tool to be treated with respect, secured when not in use and not used as a statement.

That's probably why I have issues with the photo in the OP. Not that they have guns, but that they feel the need to be armed in the kitchen, talking with the dog, chilling with coffee...as if that is totally ordinary. I understand WHY they want to portray the image...but it's not realistic.

American "Gun Culture" does promote everything you posted.....since accidental gun deaths have gone down, not up since we went from 200 million guns in private hands to close to 600 million with over 16.3 million people carrying guns for self defense.

The problem isn't American Gun Culture...the problem is American Criminal Culture and the way the American Justice system does not lock up actual gun criminals for long periods of time...letting them back out over and over again to finally shoot another human.

Your concerns should be about the judges and prosecutors who keep letting repeat, violent gun offenders back on the streets....not normal, law abiding gun owners who statistics show are more law abiding than the average citizen and even more law abiding than sworn police officers.

Of course I'n scared of gun nuts. Did you hear about the vigilante gun nut who thought he saw someone shoplifting a tool? He followed the guy into the parking lot and fired 5 rounds at the guy's car and only 3 hit. The gun nut idiot claimed he was marking the car for the cops. I could have been in that parking lot. My kid could have been in that parking lot. You bet I'm scared of crazy gun nuts.

You have one story......Americans use guns 1,500,000 times a year to actually stop violent criminal attack, and this is according to bill clinton's Department of Justice and barak obama's CDC.....

And since the 1990s as we went from 4.7 million people actually carrying guns to 2017 and 16.3 million people carrying guns...our gun violence rate fell 75%...and our gun murder rate fell 49%....so nothing you say is supported by the facts on the ground.

I mentioned one story this time. There are plenty of others that fit the same pattern. Many end up with innocent bystanders dying. That scenario is not uncommon by any evaluation. How many should die or be injured just because you want to make a macho fashion statement?

And there are 1,500,000 other stories of Americans who own and even carry a gun who use it to stop a violent crime and even to save lives. And as my links show, attacks can and do happen anywhere.

So a gun nut killing an innocent person is not a problem? What if someone you love was killed by a rambo wanna be?

Believe it or not, I've read gun nuts saying that since other things cause more deaths, the gun deaths aren't worth addressing. It's the ridiculous argument that since guns kill, we should ban cars and swimming pools.

I believe the lobby (NRS) to sell more and more guns has completely sold out human lives to the bottom line of the gun makers ' p&l.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com
The ridiculous argument are the claims that shredding the Constitution by banning guns will stop suicides (over half of all gun deaths) and stop the drug wars with associated gang violence.

Define "gun culture". Is that the same as "self-defense culture"? When parents take their kids to Tae Kwon Do lessons are they promoting violence or self-defense?

I think allowing guns in bars is a VERY BAD IDEA frankly. Alcohal fuels violence - there is no doubt about that.

I'm not totally anti-gun, believe it or not. I support the right of citizens to have guns but I also support LIMITS on that right (just like any other right). One of those is mixing guns and booze.

Is there any llimitation you support when it comes to gun rights?

Except that there are about a dozen states that already allow it, and they haven't had the problems you feel they would have. If you carry in a bar or restauarant, you can't drink. It is, in fact, stricter than driving and drinking.

Limitations, yes...violent felons can't buy, own or carry guns. The adjudicated, dangerously mentally ill, can't buy, own or carry guns. You can't use a gun to commit rape, robbery or murder...if you do you go to prison for 30 years. If you are a violent felon caught with an illegal gun, you go to prison for 30 years.

That covers all of the problems with guns in this society. All the other laws that anti gunners want, registration, licensing gun owners, magazine limits....are nothing more than attempts to restrict the right. The ones I have listed and the punishment, will actually work.

Without a background check how do you stop violent felons, mentally ill, or anybody else who shouldn't be able to buy a gun from buying a gun? You have never answered that question. You always deflect or change the subject. Why?

1st) Do you think the people doing the shooting in Chicago, Baltimore, New York, L.A., and D.C.....are getting their guns by going through background checks? You know we do have federal background checks for all purchases through gun stores.....right?

I have answered the background check question over and over. The only place you can actually stop a felon with a gun is when police catch them in a crime, or during a random traffic stop or other interaction. They are not getting their guns from gun stores or gun shows...they are getting their guns from friends and family who can already pass background checks, or from people who steal the guns......

So....since they get their guns from people who can already pass background checks, that means that if you have background checks for private sales, those people will still be able to pass background checks for those private sales.....defeating your background checks.

So again, the best way to stop gun crime...if you catch a violent felon in possession of a gun, lock them up for 30 years. If you catch someone using a gun for a crime, a real crime, rape, robbery or murder ....lock them up for 30 years. This avoids targeting law abiding gun owners, and actually takes the people who will use the guns to shoot people off the streets.

Doing background checks on half the sales only stops half the people who shouldn't be able to buy a gun.

Do you even understand that you are wrong? Criminals do not get their guns by going through a background check. They get their guns from other people who either steal the guns, or from people who can pass a background check. Your whole point has no bearing on the reality of how criminals get their guns.

And again, even if you forced background checks on private sales, criminals still would not get go through that background check, they would get their guns by stealing them, buying them from others who stole them, or.......by buying them from people who passed the background check for the private sale.....

Background checks are Security Theater for anti gunners. The real solution...is locking up violent felons caught with a gun for 30 years.....locking up actual criminals who use guns for rapes, robberies and murders for 30 years...

That deals with actual criminals and has the added virtue of not bothering law abiding gun owners...

But that is the point, right? You don't care about the criminals...you just want to punish and inconvenience normal people who want a gun for self defense...you can read it in all of your posts...you have contempt for those people, and you want to punish them for how they make you feel....

That was all bull crap the first time you posted it.

saw is good self defense but I'm not going to haul it around.
Define "gun culture". Is that the same as "self-defense culture"? When parents take their kids to Tae Kwon Do lessons are they promoting violence or self-defense?

Depends on the attitude they teach the kids. If the kid thinks he needs to stay in a fighting stance 24/7 because they are afraid someone might jump them at any minute, they are being taught a violence culture. That would be the same attitude of gun nuts who think they need to be armed 24/7

Depends on the attitude they teach the kids. If the kid thinks he needs to stay in a fighting stance 24/7 because they are afraid someone might jump them at any minute, they are being taught a violence culture. That would be the same attitude of gun nuts who think they need to be armed 24/7
Disagreed. BTW, by labeling people who promote self-defense with firearms as "gun nuts", all you do is drive a wedge between yourself and those who support Constitutional rights.

Disagreed. BTW, by labeling people who promote self-defense with firearms as "gun nuts", all you do is drive a wedge between yourself and those who support Constitutional rights.

?????

Except that there are about a dozen states that already allow it, and they haven't had the problems you feel they would have. If you carry in a bar or restauarant, you can't drink. It is, in fact, stricter than driving and drinking.

Limitations, yes...violent felons can't buy, own or carry guns. The adjudicated, dangerously mentally ill, can't buy, own or carry guns. You can't use a gun to commit rape, robbery or murder...if you do you go to prison for 30 years. If you are a violent felon caught with an illegal gun, you go to prison for 30 years.

That covers all of the problems with guns in this society. All the other laws that anti gunners want, registration, licensing gun owners, magazine limits....are nothing more than attempts to restrict the right. The ones I have listed and the punishment, will actually work.

Without a background check how do you stop violent felons, mentally ill, or anybody else who shouldn't be able to buy a gun from buying a gun? You have never answered that question. You always deflect or change the subject. Why?

1st) Do you think the people doing the shooting in Chicago, Baltimore, New York, L.A., and D.C.....are getting their guns by going through background checks? You know we do have federal background checks for all purchases through gun stores.....right?

I have answered the background check question over and over. The only place you can actually stop a felon with a gun is when police catch them in a crime, or during a random traffic stop or other interaction. They are not getting their guns from gun stores or gun shows...they are getting their guns from friends and family who can already pass background checks, or from people who steal the guns......

So....since they get their guns from people who can already pass background checks, that means that if you have background checks for private sales, those people will still be able to pass background checks for those private sales.....defeating your background checks.

So again, the best way to stop gun crime...if you catch a violent felon in possession of a gun, lock them up for 30 years. If you catch someone using a gun for a crime, a real crime, rape, robbery or murder ....lock them up for 30 years. This avoids targeting law abiding gun owners, and actually takes the people who will use the guns to shoot people off the streets.

Doing background checks on half the sales only stops half the people who shouldn't be able to buy a gun.

Do you even understand that you are wrong? Criminals do not get their guns by going through a background check. They get their guns from other people who either steal the guns, or from people who can pass a background check. Your whole point has no bearing on the reality of how criminals get their guns.

And again, even if you forced background checks on private sales, criminals still would not get go through that background check, they would get their guns by stealing them, buying them from others who stole them, or.......by buying them from people who passed the background check for the private sale.....

Background checks are Security Theater for anti gunners. The real solution...is locking up violent felons caught with a gun for 30 years.....locking up actual criminals who use guns for rapes, robberies and murders for 30 years...

That deals with actual criminals and has the added virtue of not bothering law abiding gun owners...

But that is the point, right? You don't care about the criminals...you just want to punish and inconvenience normal people who want a gun for self defense...you can read it in all of your posts...you have contempt for those people, and you want to punish them for how they make you feel....

That was all bull crap the first time you posted it.

Wow.....great use of facts and statistics...and that little thing called evidence.....vs. all of the actual facts and statistics I have posted...

Do they think they need to be armed 24/7...no. They do realize that they have no idea when a violent criminal will attack them...that is the problem you guys always pretend doesn't exist...then you fall back on "Well...no one in my family has ever been a victim of a crime" and use that to create your feelings about people who carry guns...

Do they think they need to be armed 24/7...no. They do realize that they have no idea when a violent criminal will attack them...that is the problem you guys always pretend doesn't exist...then you fall back on "Well...no one in my family has ever been a victim of a crime" and use that to create your feelings about people who carry guns...

Somebody in every family has been a victim of crime. Choosing to deal with it in a mature way instead of as a scared whining baby is what makes the difference.

For those of us not born and raised in the gun culture, this image seems to be rather ham handed stab at normalizing something I find disturbing.

As I,said, I,was not raised in a household with guns. I was not raised in a home that felt constantly threatened and in desperate need of protection by force of arms. I was not raised in a household where guns were romanticized.

I find that gun culture to be a hinderence to fully understanding the scourge of guns and senseless gunplay. A couple of housewives packing heat seems to me, at least, more than a little sad.
The photo doesn't bother me in the least, though I suspect many conservatives feel about gays what you feel about guns -- not comfortable with them and resent normalizing the behavior.

Somebody in every family has been a victim of crime. Choosing to deal with it in a mature way instead of as a scared whining baby is what makes the difference.

These women in this photo have decided to be mature and understand that the police can't be everywhere. They also know that crime happens in places where no one expects it...as my links have shown. They carry a gun, just in case. And as long as they break no laws, and handle the weapons responsibly, you are the one who has the fear, not them.

For those of us not born and raised in the gun culture, this image seems to be rather ham handed stab at normalizing something I find disturbing.

As I,said, I,was not raised in a household with guns. I was not raised in a home that felt constantly threatened and in desperate need of protection by force of arms. I was not raised in a household where guns were romanticized.

I find that gun culture to be a hinderence to fully understanding the scourge of guns and senseless gunplay. A couple of housewives packing heat seems to me, at least, more than a little sad.
The photo doesn't bother me in the least, though I suspect many conservatives feel about gays what you feel about guns -- not comfortable with them and resent normalizing the behavior.

Do you mean the David Rubin gays...or the guys who wear crotchless chaps in a public parade?

These women in this photo have decided to be mature and understand that the police can't be everywhere. They also know that crime happens in places where no one expects it...as my links have shown. They carry a gun, just in case. And as long as they break no laws, and handle the weapons responsibly, you are the one who has the fear, not them.

FASHION STATEMENT

Choosing to face it head-on rather than whining in a closet is more mature and self-reliant.

FASHION STATEMENT

Is your fashion statement an actual statement...because it certainly has no bearing on that photo......

Choosing to face it head-on rather than whining in a closet is more mature and self-reliant.

Facing the world every day without having to hide behind a gun is the mature way.

Facing the world every day without having to hide behind a gun is the mature way.
Wouldn't that depend upon where you live? If a person has a cop standing outside their door or even on the street corner, your argument would be more valid, but if two attractive women are living alone in a secluded rural area where the nearest LEO is 20 minutes away, it might be smarter to have a good plan for self-defense.

Wouldn't that depend upon where you live? If a person has a cop standing outside their door or even on the street corner, your argument would be more valid, but if two attractive women are living alone in a secluded rural area where the nearest LEO is 20 minutes away, it might be smarter to have a good plan for self-defense.

Plan for self defence? Sure. Strapping on a gun, and wearing it around the house every day is nuts.

Forum List

Back