Is "Water" a Human Right?

You people do realize that by shutting off the water, those who occupy places where water is shut off have a higher tendency towards spreading disease?

I mean..................fresh water is what keeps a community clean. Do we really want to see an explosion of disease just because we decided to keep fresh water away from those who can't pay?

If so..................shut down the corporations that don't pay their bills first.

But.............if you want disease and other nasty things, shut down the water of the people first, and let the corporations continue to screw up the town.

Why can't they pay for the water?

Why can't they pay for the water? Probably because they are working 2 jobs at minimum wage which doesn't allow them to pay for the extras like water.

I guess that food, clothing, and shelter take priority over things like water.

But then again, I thought water was a given, just like air.

You people do realize that by shutting off the water, those who occupy places where water is shut off have a higher tendency towards spreading disease?

You realize that when a company doesn't pay its employees those employees don't show up for work and the service that the company provides ceases to be offered?

When a water company doesn't collect revenue it then has no money to pay its expenses.

Most people understand simple stuff like this. Oh America, I weep at what we've become.

I mean..................fresh water is what keeps a community clean. Do we really want to see an explosion of disease just because we decided to keep fresh water away from those who can't pay?

If so..................shut down the corporations that don't pay their bills first.

But.............if you want disease and other nasty things, shut down the water of the people first, and let the corporations continue to screw up the town.

Yeah, but is that a cause or effect? You are implying that the cause is lack of water to a home, magically makes them spread disease.

Whereas I would suggest it is because of the lifestyles, and life choices that those people have made, which both results in them unable to pay the water bill, and causes them to spread disease.

Corporations that don't pay their bills, are generally shut down without anyone's help.

The corporations are not the ones screwing up the town. There are hundreds of corporations in Ohio, and there has not been a massive water shortage. I work for a corporation, and without them I'd be unemployed. Then I wouldn't be able to pay my bills either.

Why can't they pay for the water? Probably because they are working 2 jobs at minimum wage which doesn't allow them to pay for the extras like water.

Now you are talking insanity. The average water bill here in Ohio, is a massive, backbreaking $15, to $20 a month.

If you are working 2 minimum wage jobs, that's $32,000 a year. That's places you in the top 1% of wage earners on the planet. You work two minimum wage jobs, you are the top 1% of the world.

Two minimum wage jobs is roughly $2,500 a month in income.

Now you are telling me, that with $2,500 a month income, you simply can't afford a $20 water bill?

There is something wrong with YOU, not the system. You are spending money like a mad man, in which case you deserve to have your water shut off, just from the incompetence alone, or you so incredibly stingy, that someone needs to smack you around with a brick, until you cough up the $20 for water.

You people are full of such absolute BS excuses, it's amazing. "Maybe they are in the top 1% of wage earners and the world, and thus simply can't afford $20 in water!"

You realize that when a company doesn't pay its employees those employees don't show up for work and the service that the company provides ceases to be offered?

When a water company doesn't collect revenue it then has no money to pay its expenses.

Most people understand simple stuff like this. Oh America, I weep at what we've become.

Apparently we shouldn't have to pay the water company, and the water companies employees should work for free. Apparently slavery is only bad, unless we what stuff for free.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. If you shut off water to a business they have to close because they are violating code by not providing facilities. Close a business and none of their employees get paid. Employees not getting paid leads to more people not paying their water bill. Problem gets worse.

Like that better?

Their mistake for not prioritizing water. You can live longer without food or clothing than you can without water. In warm weather you can live longer without shelter too, but if they give up their shelter they won't have anywhere to get the water delivered anyway.

Priority #1 Shelter and water.

Now you are talking insanity. The average water bill here in Ohio, is a massive, backbreaking $15, to $20 a month.

If you are working 2 minimum wage jobs, that's $32,000 a year. That's places you in the top 1% of wage earners on the planet. You work two minimum wage jobs, you are the top 1% of the world.

Two minimum wage jobs is roughly $2,500 a month in income.

Now you are telling me, that with $2,500 a month income, you simply can't afford a $20 water bill?

There is something wrong with YOU, not the system. You are spending money like a mad man, in which case you deserve to have your water shut off, just from the incompetence alone, or you so incredibly stingy, that someone needs to smack you around with a brick, until you cough up the $20 for water.

You people are full of such absolute BS excuses, it's amazing. "Maybe they are in the top 1% of wage earners and the world, and thus simply can't afford $20 in water!"

It really isn't that they can't afford water. They've just learned over time that they can get away with not paying for water because Detroit has a long standing history of being super lenient and not shutting off water. They've learned they can pay their cable and cell phone bills before their water bill because the city won't shut them off. That's changing because the city is bankrupt, and people aren't happy that they can't get away with their screwed up priorities any more.

Last edited:

Water is a given, just like air if you go to a lake, river or stream and get some. If you get it out of a faucet, it cost someone a lot of money to get that water to, and continue to it the faucet.

Since when is something that is a basic requirement an extra?

Water is a given, just like air if you go to a lake, river or stream and get some. If you get it out of a faucet, it cost someone a lot of money to get that water to, and continue to it the faucet.

Since when is something that is a basic requirement an extra?

It's an extra in the same way that cable and cell phones are priorities.

Forum List

Back