ISIS inside Baghdad, will Obama ramp it up?

Has ISIS taken Baghdad, and took over the World yet? Just checking.

Seriously though, calm down people. ISIS is the most over-hyped threat in history. It won't be taking over the world. So chill out and have a good day. :)
According to CNN, ISIS has been successful in Anbar province against poorly trained and equipped Iraqi forces. However, ISIS has yet to confront Iraqi troops around Baghdad which are far better trained and equipped.

I seriously doubt that ISIS will come anywhere near their of goal of turning Iraq into an Islamic Republic. Both the Kurds and the Iranians have their own plans.

The Kurds who have been fairly successful at repelling ISIS fighters. have taken all the areas that have been in dispute with the central Iraqi government. To the east, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard units have moved into Iraq. My guess is that neither the Kurds nor the Iranians are going to willing give up the Iraqi territory they now occupy irregardless of what happens with ISIS.

"poorly trained and equipped Iraqi Forces?" WTF?? The American Taxpayers have paid $Billions in training & equipping the Iraqi Military. My God, one more reason it's time to get the hell out of there. Enough is enough already.

But that being said, ISIS will be eliminated. There is virtually no chance of them taking Baghdad. It's not nearly the threat so many have freaked out about. They just don't have the numbers or military capabilities. They are the most over-hyped threat in History. People need to calm down,

Last edited:

Seriously though, calm down people. ISIS is the most over-hyped threat in history. It won't be taking over the world. So chill out and have a good day. :)
According to CNN, ISIS has been successful in Anbar province against poorly trained and equipped Iraqi forces. However, ISIS has yet to confront Iraqi troops around Baghdad which are far better trained and equipped.

I seriously doubt that ISIS will come anywhere near their of goal of turning Iraq into an Islamic Republic. Both the Kurds and the Iranians have their own plans.

The Kurds who have been fairly successful at repelling ISIS fighters. have taken all the areas that have been in dispute with the central Iraqi government. To the east, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard units have moved into Iraq. My guess is that neither the Kurds nor the Iranians are going to willing give up the Iraqi territory they now occupy irregardless of what happens with ISIS.

"poorly trained and equipped Iraqi Forces?" WTF?? The American Taxpayers have paid $Billions in training & equipping the Iraqi Military. My God, one more reason it's time to get the hell out of there. Enough is enough already.

But that being said, ISIS will be eliminated. There is virtually no chance of them taking Baghdad. It's not nearly the threat so many have freaked out about. They just don't have the numbers or military capabilities. They are the most over-hyped threat in History. People need to calm down,
Iraq has always clustered the best of the army in Baghdad. How they will fight is anybody's guess.

I suspect that the outcome of the ISIS attack on Iraq will be an independent Iraqi Kurdistan and possibly the petitioning of Iraq between the Shiites and Sunnis.

Iraq has always clustered the best of the army in Baghdad. How they will fight is anybody's guess.

I suspect that the outcome of the ISIS attack on Iraq will be an independent Iraqi Kurdistan and possibly the petitioning of Iraq between the Shiites and Sunnis.

Partitioning could be the solution. But seriously, hearing that the Iraq Military is "poorly trained & equipped" is a very painful kick in the nuts to American Taxpayers. How many $Billions flushed? How could they be so poorly trained & equipped? What a mess.

Partitioning could be the solution. But seriously, hearing that the Iraq Military is "poorly trained & equipped" is a very painful kick in the nuts to American Taxpayers. How many $Billions flushed? How could they be so poorly trained & equipped? What a mess.
I think the reports of poor equipment and training comes from the Iraqis, who don't want to address the major problem. Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Martin Dempsey said only 24 of 50 brigades were incapable of standing up to ISIS because there're too many Sunnis who either supported ISIS or refused to fight for the current government.

You got to remember, Iraq is not like the US in anyway. The allegiance of the army has been to a dictator or monarch not a democratically elected government. The leadership in the army is politically based and weak. Military decisions are primarily political decisions. When Mosul was attacked field commanders could not adequately respond because Baghdad could not issue any orders.

I think the reports of poor equipment and training comes from the Iraqis, who don't want to address the major problem. Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Martin Dempsey said only 24 of 50 brigades were incapable of standing up to ISIS because there're too many Sunnis who either supported ISIS or refused to fight for the current government.

You got to remember, Iraq is not like the US in anyway. The allegiance of the army has been to a dictator or monarch not a democratically elected government. The leadership in the army is politically based and weak. Military decisions are primarily political decisions. When Mosul was attacked field commanders could not adequately respond because Baghdad could not issue any orders.
Dempsey Half of Iraqi army not OK as US partners - News - NorthJersey.com

Dempsey said U.S. military teams that spent much of the summer in Iraq assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the Iraqi security forces concluded that 26 of 50 army brigades were capable partners for the U.S. He described them as well led and well equipped, adding, "They appear to have a national instinct, instead of a sectarian instinct." He said the 24 other brigades were too heavily weighted with Shiites to be part of a credible national force -

My last post was for clarification of the post by Flopper. In other words he stated that 26 Brigades were capable. ISIL Strength in Iraq is estimated between 20k to 30k strength...............

26 Brigades is more than enough to take the ground back. Which is what is ticking me off about all of this. I only moved towards ground troops from the U.S. when the Kurds were threatened, and didn't want them to fall. I still believe that.

In regards to the Iraqi army, not going forward and taking the fight to ISIL........I'm still ticked off at them to be surrounded when they outnumber ISIL by a vast majority.

This whole damned thing is nuts.

ISIS within 8 miles of Baghdad airport and armed with MANPADs - CBS News

For those that don't know manpads are anti air weapons.

Is Obama gonna start bombing more than the occasional Toyota truck?

The dingle berries never cease to amaze me.

For those that don't know what a dingle berry is, they are stupid fucks who are lways demanding that the spend a gazillion dollars and risk American Lives getting involved in the internal affairs of other nations in order to fight the latest bogeyman.

ISIS within 8 miles of Baghdad airport and armed with MANPADs - CBS News

For those that don't know manpads are anti air weapons.

Is Obama gonna start bombing more than the occasional Toyota truck?

The dingle berries never cease to amaze me.

For those that don't know what a dingle berry is, they are stupid fucks who are always demanding that the US spend a gazillion dollars and risk American Lives getting involved in the internal affairs of other nations in order to fight the latest bogeyman.

Dempsey said U.S. military teams that spent much of the summer in Iraq assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the Iraqi security forces concluded that 26 of 50 army brigades were capable partners for the U.S. He described them as well led and well equipped, adding, "They appear to have a national instinct, instead of a sectarian instinct." He said the 24 other brigades were too heavily weighted with Shiites to be part of a credible national force -
Shiites?? That seems contrary to everyone we've heard. It's been Sunnis that have been supporting ISIS and a target of government crackdowns in Baghdad. I think someone got their wires crossed here.

Shiites?? That seem contrary to everyone we've heard. It's been Sunnis that have been supporting ISIS and a target of government crackdowns in Baghdad.

I don't think that was his point. I think he's thinking more towards the area that the Sunni's would never agree to having predominately Shiite Iraqi army in their region without more sect violence...........

My last post was for clarification of the post by Flopper. In other words he stated that 26 Brigades were capable. ISIL Strength in Iraq is estimated between 20k to 30k strength...............

26 Brigades is more than enough to take the ground back. Which is what is ticking me off about all of this. I only moved towards ground troops from the U.S. when the Kurds were threatened, and didn't want them to fall. I still believe that.

In regards to the Iraqi army, not going forward and taking the fight to ISIL........I'm still ticked off at them to be surrounded when they outnumber ISIL by a vast majority.

This whole damned thing is nuts.
That pretty well describes the whole situation since the day we set foot in Iraq. I really believe there must be strong shared common interests and goals for a democratic government to survive. In Iraq it's just not there. The country is too damn fragmented. In the legislature you have 26 different parties and coalitions of parties that can agree on practically nothing. Generals are chosen not for their military and leaderships skills but for their loyalty because there's a mutual distrust between the administration and the military. The Kurds in the north want nothing to do with rest of Iraq. The Sunnis and Shiites have a history of confrontation that goes back back before Saddam.

Going into Iraq was the biggest mistake the country has made in decades.

Sunnis have little reason to continue wearing an Iraqi Military uniform. Many are moving to support ISIS. They see the the current Iraq Government as an American Shiite Puppet. Why would they go on defending it? But that being said, we need to get the hell out of the entire region. Too much American money & lives have been wasted over there.

Isis should not be our concern, social "justice" here at home needs to be the priority. Get the greedy to pay their "fair share"... Lol

Forum List

Back