Israel Approves 1200 New Settlement Homes

MHunter -

It shouldn't. It should be based on continuing habitation over centuries. Obviously what happened in 1950 is more relevant than what happened in 1850, and that more relevant than 1750, and so forth.

In which case, the map of the area isn't particularly contentious. To my mind it is only really Hebron and Jericho that stand out as very difficult choices.

Given Palestinians will have to give up Akko and Jaffa, I think Israel should give up Hebron and Jericho, but perhaps with some kind of guaranteed access to religious sites with UN oversight of those places.

LOL, the 'guaranteed' access isn't going to be worth bupkes, Saigon. Not after the Islamist nutbars attacked the Tomb of the Patriarchs which is a sacred *Muslim* site as well.

And after the widespread desecration of many Jewish holy sites by Jordan during their Occupation (after their ethnic cleansing of East Jerusalem!) - I doubt many Israelis are willing to take the chance, either.

I don't think anyone can pay the UN troops enough to cordon off the sites and maintain the perimeter 24/7 ..... it will need to be a heavy military presence.

Just look at how the Waqf has handled the Temple Mount, trying to deny it is the Temple Mount, digging under it and throwing artifacts away! And we should trust such mamzerim why?

I don't think anyone can pay the UN troops enough to cordon off the sites and maintain the perimeter 24/7 ..... it will need to be a heavy military presence.

Much as has worked so well along the Lebanese border and along the Syrian/Golan Heights borders.

UN forces work as well as the mandate they are given. If they have a strong mandate to protect shrines etc, then they are able to do so.

Although I am a staunch supporter of Israel, I have to question the decision announcing the building of these homes 3 days before peace talks are to begin. They have to know it is a provocative move.

Israel approves nearly 1,200 new settlement homes
Or maybe the Israelis realized that for the 1000th time there isn't anything real or concrete on the Palestinian part and it's yet another big charade and waste of time. Do the Israelis stop the presses everytime fake "peace talks" are announced? I doubt anybody who knows the Israelis would expect them to do that. Plus these approvals could have been pre approved to be released at a certain date, which would have nothing to do which direction the peace talks are going. An "approval" doesn't mean buildings go up.

Israel froze building in 2010 for nine months, without talks happening. What is the point in stopping building, considering there is such a dire housing shortage. By the time the tenders from construction companies are submitted there will be a better idea on how the peace talks are transpiring.

Israel froze building in 2010 for nine months, without talks happening. What is the point in stopping building, considering there is such a dire housing shortage. By the time the tenders from construction companies are submitted there will be a better idea on how the peace talks are transpiring.

As Lipush mentioned yesterday - nothing prevents Israel building in the Negev.

Given Israel spends $15 billion per year on defence, think how much more housing the country could afford it could find a sustainable peace treaty...

As Lipush mentioned yesterday - nothing prevents Israel building in the Negev.

Given Israel spends $15 billion per year on defence, think how much more housing the country could afford it could find a sustainable peace treaty...

Of course, they should build there as well. I think though that being as near to Jerusalem as possible is very important for a lot of homebuyers.

Caroline -

Being close to Jerusalem is an issue for many buyers - but then they could buy in Beit Shemesh.

The fact that so many Russians do not WANT to live in the Negev, and would prefer higher and slightly cooler locations shouldn't have been allowed to dictate Israel's long term safety and stability.

Caroline -

Being close to Jerusalem is an issue for many buyers - but then they could buy in Beit Shemesh.

The fact that so many Russians do not WANT to live in the Negev, and would prefer higher and slightly cooler locations shouldn't have been allowed to dictate Israel's long term safety and stability.

Ok, if it bothers you take it up with the Knesset.

Caroline -

Alternatively, we could discuss it here, couldn't we?

I don't think there is anything to discuss. As long as Israel keeps building that is all I am concerned about. As I keep saying, there is a dire shortage of houses. People want to live where the work is, understandably. Who wants a two hour commute to the office each day. I know I wouldn't which is why I choose to live where I do. You can discuss the matter with anyone who wants to discuss it with you. I just want Israel to rehome the Gazans who have been uprooted in 2005 and still not permanently homed, and the influx of immigrants who need affordable housing near their new jobs. There is nothing more to say on the matter.

The Jews were not the first people in Palestine nor were they ever the only people in Palestine.

So, where do we get the concept of exclusive rights?

Caroline -

I don't think there is anything to discuss. As long as Israel keeps building that is all I am concerned about. As I keep saying, there is a dire shortage of houses. People want to live where the work is, understandably. Who wants a two hour commute to the office each day. I know I wouldn't which is why I choose to live where I do. You can discuss the matter with anyone who wants to discuss it with you. I just want Israel to rehome the Gazans who have been uprooted in 2005 and still not permanently homed, and the influx of immigrants who need affordable housing near their new jobs. There is nothing more to say on the matter.

Would you mind my asking where you live/lived in Israel?

It just seems strange to me that you talk about a two-hour commute - when the drive between Israel's two largest cities is only about 45 minutes.

If Gazans need to find new homes where the work is, why wouldn't they live close to towns like Tel Aviv, Haifa, Hadera or Q.Shemonah? There is plenty of room around some of those places.

Caroline -

Would you mind my asking where you live/lived in Israel?

It just seems strange to me that you talk about a two-hour commute - when the drive between Israel's two largest cities is only about 45 minutes.

If Gazans need to find new homes where the work is, why wouldn't they live close to towns like Tel Aviv, Haifa, Hadera or Q.Shemonah? There is plenty of room around some of those places.

Yes, and there is plenty of room for new builds in the 'West Bank.' Please, don't let it worry you so much. Let Israel build where it is entitled to.

Caroline -

This worries anyone who both understands the situation and cares about Israel's long term security.

btw. I am still waiting for you to provide an example of a country building on acquired territory (in which it has not history of residence) that you consider a good precedent for Israel.

Caroline -

This worries anyone who both understands the situation and cares about Israel's long term security.

btw. I am still waiting for you to provide an example of a country building on acquired territory (in which it has not history of residence) that you consider a good precedent for Israel.

As I keep saying the land belongs to Israel. Watch the videos above.

There is nothing to stop Israel building in the West Bank. No UN Resolutions to say that Israel should not build there are valid.

You want to argue the case with someone clueless - go ahead. I will stick to my views which are the correct ones.

The amount of times I have showed Israel's absolute and total legal right to build in the WB and the amount of times people dispute it because they follow others like sheep is incredible.

Caroline -

I don't believe any honest commentator believes Israel has a right to build on the West Bank.

Even you cannot think of a single precedent for doing so.

What you are suggesting is that Israel act out of rampant greed, that it scorns public opinion and flick a finger to the US and global community, much as South Africa did in the 1980s. And we know how well that turned out.

While you may hold on to the 'justice extends from the barrel of a gun' mentality, I suspect you also realise that to do so endangers Israel far more than terrorism does.

Forum List

Back