Israel's War Against Hamas - Updates

The Saudi Prince Abdulrahman bin Mosaad, launched a sharp attack on the Secretary General of Hezbollah on Saturday, Hassan Nasrallah, after the speech he gave regarding the war in Gaza.

Prince bin Mosaad said "There is no doubt that the Axis of Resistance is a big lie. The 100,000 missiles and massive weapons that Hezbollah has, have nothing to do with supporting the Palestinian cause.

"The so-called Axis of Resistance has been dealing with the Palestinian issue for years and is only a means of implementing Iran's agenda in the region," he continued.

"Hassan Nasrallah's speech in which he said that Operation Al-Aqsa flood is a Palestinian operation only and that the resistance axis was surprised by this, and everything that was said in the speech dropped all the masks."

He then said: "All illusions based on loud slogans and resonant speeches should fall with him. Nasrallah did not believe his own speech until he said that all efforts must be made to stop the war in Gaza. Why do you say what you do not do? It's so disgusting that you say what you don't do."

Nasrallah's speak for the first time since October 7

As you may recall, Nasrallah's speech took place on Friday against the backdrop of the fear of an all-out conflict in the region.

During the speech, he said: "The Lebanese front and the escalation in all directions depends on two things - the course of events in Gaza and their development, and the second - Israel's activities in Lebanon. The possibility that the Lebanese front will expand is a real possibility."

"The war has expanded to more than one front - we salute the Iraqi and Yemeni armies who entered the heart of this blessed campaign. There is no more legitimate and righteous battle from a humanitarian, moral and religious point of view like a battle against the Zionists," said Nasrallah.

"The attack on October 7 was fully planned by the Palestinians and so was its execution. We have two goals before us - stopping the fighting for humanitarian reasons and achieving a victory for Gaza and Hamas. The possibility that the Lebanese front will expand is a real possibility."

He also said: "The Islamic resistance in Lebanon (Hezbollah) has been waging a battle against Israel since October 8. The first reason why the campaign broke out is the situation of the Palestinian prisoners in Israeli prisons, 'who have been in prison for many years.' The second reason is the situation on the Temple Mount, the third reason - is 'The siege of Gaza', and the fourth reason - is 'the threats to the West Bank by the extremist government in Israel, the daily killings and the demolition of houses'".

[ And the truth keeps coming out. It is about Islam vs the Jews, not the Palestinians vs the Jews ]

The October 7 invasion and massacre of Israelis by Hamas is "the greatest success of the Islamic world," Sardar Abolfazl Shekarchi, Iran’s deputy for culture and defense propaganda of the General Staff of the IRGC, said in celebration of the massacre, as per the Iranian state-owned Tasnim news agency.

The October 7 attack took the lives of 1,400 Israelis, including children and civilians.

Shekarchi’s statement read: “The greatest success of the Islamic world after the Al-Aqsa storm operation is the consensus of the nations of the world against the oppressive and bloodthirsty Zionist regime.” Hamas refers to the October 7 attack at the “Al-Aqsa storm.”

"Standing up against global arrogance is one of the greatest achievements of the Islamic Revolution, which has been gifted to the oppressed...of the world," he continued.

"After the heroic, successful, victorious and pride-breaking operation against Israel, most of the NATO member countries support Israel and their oppression of the oppressed people of Gaza has become more and more visible."

---------
He later claimed that Palestine, Iran, Iraq, Yemen and Afghanistan had all been oppressed by the United States. Drawing on the colonial history of the United States, Shekarchi said that the Europeans who founded America had killed 100 million Native Americans.

"Blacks and Indians [Native Americans] are still being crushed under the boots of the Americans in their own country, and some criminals are under the name of international Zionism. America, England, France and Germany rule and their front line is evil Israel," he continued.

Addressing the US role in Gaza, Shekarchi said that it was to restore the spirit of the "half-dead Israeli army."

"The resistant nation of Iran learned from martyrs like Haj Qassem Soleimani that one should only fight with authority against oppression... And he squeezed the neck of the arrogant until they were suffocated and came down from the seat of power," he said.

Soleimani was a General in the IRGC's Quds Force. He was killed in 2020 by a US airstrike on a Baghdad airport.

Intelligence found in a Hamas stronghold after IDF soldiers took control. (photo credit: IDF SPOKESPERSON UNIT)
Intelligence found in a Hamas stronghold after IDF soldiers took control.(photo credit: IDF SPOKESPERSON UNIT)

Soldiers for the Givati Brigade of the IDF took control over a Hamas stronghold in the northern Gaza Strip, uncovering documentation that could be crucial for the IDF moving forward in the war, according to a Friday statement from the IDF spokesperson.

The facility was said to house Najaba terrorists and the Jabaliya-based Hamas intelligence headquarters.

Within the stronghold, soldiers uncovered Hamas intelligence headquarters and associated documentation, complete with detailed maps, tables, means of communication and personal details about Hamas terrorists and commanders.

Similar content was found on the bodies of both captured and dead terrorists following the October 7th attacks.

Command and control charts as well as operational orders for the terrorist organization were also uncovered.

(full article online)

Well, some of the residents of Gaza just perpetrated an unspeakable atrocity on innocents in Israel. The government of Israel is responsible for the safety of those innocents. I am loathe to compare the Shoah to anything, but wow! this is one hell of a first attempt to create an equivalence, in intent, if not in other measurements. Why would a belligerent entity be entitled to protection in a State it is currently in conflict with? Would you demand this of any other nation?
Also, while I wouldn't normally point this out myself, I would fully expect you to make the argument that this is a "safety on both sides" issue. Why would the people of Gaza assume that Israel would expend precious resources that they are obligated to use to protect their own citizens, to ensure the safety of foreign belligerents? (Understand that by "belligerents" I don't mean to imply that ALL Gazans are [insert appropriate descriptive word here], but that rigorous screening of refugees isn't possible in the midst of active conflict. Again, resources.) Egypt is not at war with Gaza, right?

There are things in this conflict that make the refugee situation more complicated and that has been Israel’s historic actions regarding Palestinians, current unresolved refugee issues (the solution of which is going to involve multiple nations making some changes), and a lack of trust in Israel’s long term goals. That is not to say there is not a valid lack of trust on both sides).

In regards to the Gazans fleeing into Egypt…will they be allowed back to their homes? For this population, this will be a second Nakhba. Take a look at long term refugee camps around the world. Most are pretty hopeless and dismal and easily become recruiting grounds for extremists.

Why would Egypt take that on if there are no guarantees the Gazans will be allowed back?

Is Egypt at war with Gaza? It certainly isn’t cozy with Hamas. Like much of this, it isn’t exactly black and white. Gaza isn’t a state. It’s kind of nothing. Hamas is a terrorist network that used the hopelessness, despair and anger of the Palestinians in Gaza to its advantage. Sending them into Egypt indefinite will worsen all that at Egypt’s cost. No one trusts Hamas, but no one trusts Israel either.

Netanyahu has historically been tepid if not hostile towards a two state solution and even towards Arab Israelis (some of his campaign statements reflect that.). He has now cobbled together the most extreme government Israel has ever had (and I don’t think that is an exaggeration).

Egypt (and for that matter other countries) are rightfully concerned about Israel’s intentions in pushing Gazans out. I think it is important to recognize this against the backdrop of such statements from actual cabinet officials.

This is a MUCH MUCH bigger conversation about refugees and migration. Way too much to go into here. The short answer is that refugees flow through safe passages. Current international humanitarian law considers that while third party nations are not ultimately responsible for the welfare of refugees, preventing safe passage to refugees is kinda frowned upon. No?
A lot of things are frowned upon including what could be viewed as “ethnic cleansing”. Why not allow refugees to go to the Palestinian controlled West Bank?

Yes. Deja vu. The "until" has become indefinite, in many places, and in many times. Including in this conflict. It's actually not the end of the world. Sometimes it is actually beneficial, in the long run. Sometimes compromises and peace treaties need to be made. Sometimes people return after a long sojourn. My only point here is that it is not black and white what is best for everyone, in every case, in every time. We can talk more about this.
I am not sure we are going to agree here. I am seeing this in terms of human cost and rights and the costs can be multigenerational.

Sure. I think I covered that with proportionality, but we can add something like this and I won't be mad.

I think I covered that. Israel is not obligated to allow aide through Israel. Israel must not prevent entry of aide through Egypt.
Then would you agree that Israel should not prevent humanitarian aid entering from Gaza’s coastal waters?

IDF troops who engaged in fierce combat with Hamas terrorists for control over an operations base in the Gaza Strip were met with a disturbing tactic: roughly 100 women and children were pushed forward by Hamas to act as a human barrier.
Soldiers of the Givati Infantry Brigade encountered the shocking scenario during the battle for the base of Hamas’s elite Force 17 near Jabaliya in the Gaza Strip. "We stand ready to face more instances of such cynical and brutal use of civilians," an IDF officer said.
--------
The IDF reports that valuable intelligence gathered from the base is contributing to ongoing combat efforts. Amid extensive aerial and ground operations, the military is exercising caution to prevent strikes on areas where Israeli hostages are believed to be held underground.

(full article online)

Israeli Intelligence has formed a unit to hunt down the perpetrators of the October 7 attacks, echoing the bloody campaign to eliminate the Black September terrorists behind the 1972 Munich Olympics massacre...

(full article online)

(Sidenote: Honestly, after the events of October 7, I think you are being generous in the EXTREME to call Hamas a terrorist organization. There are organizations who use vile and abhorrent tactics for political upset. There are organizations that use terrorism as a tool to political ends that might be considered appropriate in their end goal, if not in the means to that end. This is not that. This is both an end goal and a means to that end that is the incarnation of unspeakable evil. I mean, if we can not agree that throwing babies into ovens and baking them alive is not the lowest common denominator of evil, well ... bring on another flood, we'd deserve it.)

I agree, Hamas occupies a ring of evil that few share (in modern times). The Myanmar Buddhists threw babies into fires. In the Congo they committed horrifically brutal rapes (with implements) on not just women but children and infants. ISIS did unspeakable atrocities. So, yes, you are right about Hamas. They are not even human anymore. There is no coming back from that. My heart breaks for their victims :(

Moving on ...

Right. So this is the real problem. Gaza (or the Gaza part of Palestine**) is in the never-never land. There is a claim to self-determination, but no practical movement towards real, lasting self-determination. On the one hand, Hamas is the governing organization of Gaza, in all practical and relevant ways. They do not have international, legal recognition of such, and for good and obvious reasons, not the least of which is failure to its obligations to protect its citizens and put their welfare above all else. I think we agree on this.

Ok, we can agree on that.

The reason I bring up resolutions and peace treaties is that peace requires a mutual, honest understanding between two representative governments of the people in question.
But are they representative? They won an election, then seized power by force. Or do I misunderstand what you mean?

The question for us to resolve (between us anyway, as two half-way sane people having this discussion) is what to DO with that situation. If I take on the role of Israel, and you take on the role of the people of Gaza, what do you think we could come up with as a solution?
Good questions…I’ll answer below.

We seem to agree that Hamas HAS to be dismantled. What next, then? Is it better - long run - for refugees to be returned from safety to Gaza in chaos and a vacuum?

It is highly unlikely that all would leave if they could or that Egypt could absorb millions into refugee camps. Given that, there will be a devastated Gaza, much like the towns and cities in the parts of Ukraine that have been taken by Russia or liberated from Russian occupation. No infrastructure, no economy, no water or food or the means to produce any, no anything but rubble and possibly unexplored munitions. It would also be likely that there would be a complete breakdown or absence of civil authority.

BUT…shouldn’t that decision be made by the residents themselves, in conjunction with a larger, multinational plan to govern it and rebuild?

Some ideas that have been floated are a group of countries (in particular regional countries) administering Gaza. That might address the vacuum in power as well as help counter tbe remnants of Hamas.

Is it better - long run - for refugees to be returned to some sort of Israeli military or sovereign oversight?
Israel military, no. There is no appetite for that in Israel, and it will create again, the very conditions that allowed Hamas to maintain it’s leverage.

Is it better - long run - to prolong the exile in hopes that eventually the other Arab states will absorb their cousins?

No. To be blunt….how has that worked out so far in Palestinian refugee camps (or any really) over the decades? It creates a multigenerational culture of despair, anger, hopelessness and loss. It provides an opening for extremism.

Is it better - long run - for the international community to intervene and create some sort of temporary protectorate government?

That is where my thinking is.

Is it better - long run - for Egypt and Jordan to exert sovereignty over territory again?

There seems to be no desire on their parts to take it on.

Is better - long run - for Israel to assert its one state solution?

What would that mean for them?

I see why people just post tweets and memes. Because this is a LOT.

It sure won’t fit on a bumper sticker ;)
**I am explicitly differentiating Gaza and "West Bank" Palestine. I do think these are two separate conflicts at this time. That may change in the future, but there is little to tie them together of practical use just now.
Agree.

There are things in this conflict that make the refugee situation more complicated and that has been Israel’s historic actions regarding Palestinians, current unresolved refugee issues (the solution of which is going to involve multiple nations making some changes), and a lack of trust in Israel’s long term goals. That is not to say there is not a valid lack of trust on both sides).

In regards to the Gazans fleeing into Egypt…will they be allowed back to their homes? For this population, this will be a second Nakhba. Take a look at long term refugee camps around the world. Most are pretty hopeless and dismal and easily become recruiting grounds for extremists.

Why would Egypt take that on if there are no guarantees the Gazans will be allowed back?

Is Egypt at war with Gaza? It certainly isn’t cozy with Hamas. Like much of this, it isn’t exactly black and white. Gaza isn’t a state. It’s kind of nothing. Hamas is a terrorist network that used the hopelessness, despair and anger of the Palestinians in Gaza to its advantage. Sending them into Egypt indefinite will worsen all that at Egypt’s cost. No one trusts Hamas, but no one trusts Israel either.

Netanyahu has historically been tepid if not hostile towards a two state solution and even towards Arab Israelis (some of his campaign statements reflect that.). He has now cobbled together the most extreme government Israel has ever had (and I don’t think that is an exaggeration).

Egypt (and for that matter other countries) are rightfully concerned about Israel’s intentions in pushing Gazans out. I think it is important to recognize this against the backdrop of such statements from actual cabinet officials.

A lot of things are frowned upon including what could be viewed as “ethnic cleansing”. Why not allow refugees to go to the Palestinian controlled West Bank?

I am not sure we are going to agree here. I am seeing this in terms of human cost and rights and the costs can be multigenerational.

Then would you agree that Israel should not prevent humanitarian aid entering from Gaza’s coastal waters?
I am sorry Coyote, but you seem to insist in living in an alternative world, rather then the world which actually exists over there.

1). There are no refugees. These Arabs who were told by their leaders to leave the Mandate so that they could destroy Israel, are NOT refugees. They cannot be kept forever and a day as refugees. Israel is not going anywhere, the the few who are still living, who had left, or were expelled because they were trying to kill Jews in 1948, are not going to ever be allowed to go back.
UNWRA has to be dismantled, it is nothing but an insult to all other real refugees in the world, who get much less money and attention than the Palestinians.
Palestinians who have citizenships in other countries are still calling themselves refugees. What a sad, pathetic slap in the face to real refugees.

2) Yes, the people of Gaza will be allowed to return to their homes once Hamas and the other terrorist groups attacking Israel are done with. Spare us the comparison with the first NON Nakba. The only catastrophe which happened in 1948 was all the Muslim countries losing the war to the Jews. It is called Muslim shame that they were defeated by Jews.

3) From what the news has said, Egypt is allowing only nationals from other countries and wounded out of Gaza. Some Hamas has already tried to get out in Ambulances. Egypt is not going to go beyond that from what I can tell.

4) Netanyahu's job, and of all other PMs is to keep Israel and its population safe. An investigation will be done, the ones responsible will pay one way or another, including at the ballot.

5) The People of Gaza are NOT going to be pushed out. This is the chance of Gaza to turn that area in its own little country, bringing in a lot of tourism, and stop destroying the previous history of the area, just as Hamas did with a Roman antiquity which had been discovered a few years ago.

6) Why does Judea and Samaria need more possible future terrorists to live there? Dayan made a big mistake in not expelling the Arabs from that area, as the Jews had been expelled. And the Arabs have totally failed in honoring the Oslo Accords to teach their future generations to live in peace beside the State of Israel.

7). Why the need to bring help via the Gaza coastal waters? Who is going to check for smuggled weapons, etc?

8). Please, leave the imagination world so many of you live in, and look at what the real issues are.

a) The Palestinian leaders will always intend to destroy Israel

b) as long as Iran and Qatar, the EU and others keep feeding billions into the PA, Hamas, Fatah, PLO, etc, they are never going to want to need to make peace with Israel as Egypt and Jordan needed to.

c) The education against Israel and the Jews MUST end.....around the world, not only amongst Arabs who live in Gaza and the PA, Hezbollah, Syria, etc.
When they finally meet Jews they finally see that Jews are not the inhuman creatures they have been told all of their lives. I have posted many articles of people who were raised to believe that, only to experience the opposite when going to Israel or meeting Jews.

STOP the education of hatred for Jews, and things will change.

I promise you. That is the only solution .It is the only way less hatred , fewer wars in that area will happen.

Until that day, Israel HAS TO stay strong against the endless attempts to destroy it and kill all Jews, and apparently anyone else who does live in Israel and is not against its destruction, as we have seen from what happened on 10/7.

I agree, Hamas occupies a ring of evil that few share (in modern times). The Myanmar Buddhists threw babies into fires. In the Congo they committed horrifically brutal rapes (with implements) on not just women but children and infants. ISIS did unspeakable atrocities. So, yes, you are right about Hamas. They are not even human anymore. There is no coming back from that. My heart breaks for their victims :(

Ok, we can agree on that.

But are they representative? They won an election, then seized power by force. Or do I misunderstand what you mean?

Good questions…I’ll answer below.

It is highly unlikely that all would leave if they could or that Egypt could absorb millions into refugee camps. Given that, there will be a devastated Gaza, much like the towns and cities in the parts of Ukraine that have been taken by Russia or liberated from Russian occupation. No infrastructure, no economy, no water or food or the means to produce any, no anything but rubble and possibly unexplored munitions. It would also be likely that there would be a complete breakdown or absence of civil authority.

BUT…shouldn’t that decision be made by the residents themselves, in conjunction with a larger, multinational plan to govern it and rebuild?

Some ideas that have been floated are a group of countries (in particular regional countries) administering Gaza. That might address the vacuum in power as well as help counter tbe remnants of Hamas.

Israel military, no. There is no appetite for that in Israel, and it will create again, the very conditions that allowed Hamas to maintain it’s leverage.

No. To be blunt….how has that worked out so far in Palestinian refugee camps (or any really) over the decades? It creates a multigenerational culture of despair, anger, hopelessness and loss. It provides an opening for extremism.

That is where my thinking is.

There seems to be no desire on their parts to take it on.

What would that mean for them?

It sure won’t fit on a bumper sticker ;)

Agree.
"No. To be blunt….how has that worked out so far in Palestinian refugee camps (or any really) over the decades? It creates a multigenerational culture of despair, anger, hopelessness and loss. It provides an opening for extremism."

These people have been kept as hostages of the Arab/Muslim intent to destroy Israel. Used to kill Jews and others, and to be used as human shields.
We must allow the war to come to its end, with all of Hamas and others done for, and then see what other countries will decide depending on what is left of the population decides.

People from Gaza have been leaving, escaping Gaza when they can, mostly via medical entry through Israel and never returning. Whatever each person or family decides, based on what will really be able to come out of Gaza, it is up to them.

There absolutely can be no going back to Gaza simply being a den of terrorists bent on destroying Israel. They must turn it into a place they would be proud to build, just as the Jews did with Israel.

"No. To be blunt….how has that worked out so far in Palestinian refugee camps (or any really) over the decades? It creates a multigenerational culture of despair, anger, hopelessness and loss. It provides an opening for extremism."

These people have been kept as hostages of the Arab/Muslim intent to destroy Israel. Used to kill Jews and others, and to be used as human shields.
We must allow the war to come to its end, with all of Hamas and others done for, and then see what other countries will decide depending on what is left of the population decides.
Not just being used by the Arab states. Israel has also kept them in limbo while steadily destroying any possibility of a viable state. There was very high support for the two state solution at one time. As that possibility disappeared, Hamas gained.

“We must allow the war to come to an end” means what exactly? Does that mean opening the door to War crimes? Serious question because I believe Israel is close to that line (if it hasn’t already crossed it).

People from Gaza have been leaving, escaping Gaza when they can, mostly via medical entry through Israel and never returning. Whatever each person or family decides, based on what will really be able to come out of Gaza, it is up to them.

Very few have been able to.

There absolutely can be no going back to Gaza simply being a den of terrorists bent on destroying Israel. They must turn it into a place they would be proud to build, just as the Jews did with Israel.
I absolutely agree :)

Not just being used by the Arab states. Israel has also kept them in limbo while steadily destroying any possibility of a viable state. There was very high support for the two state solution at one time. As that possibility disappeared, Hamas gained.

“We must allow the war to come to an end” means what exactly? Does that mean opening the door to War crimes? Serious question because I believe Israel is close to that line (if it hasn’t already crossed it).

Very few have been able to.

I absolutely agree :)
A peace treaty is between two entities. There has never been ONE Palestinian leader who really wanted peace with Israel, the way Egypt and Jordan did. It is not to the Palestinian leaders advantage to make peace with Israel and also it would seal their death warrant. They say so themselves.

There is nothing that can be done until Hamas is totally destroyed and the war finally comes to an end. When there is no more danger of rockets into Israel and the population in Gaza can with International help, get their lives back together. It will be slow but it will happen.

No, Israel does not commit war crimes because it is following the Geneva Convention it signed and does everything it to not kill civilians.

As you know, Hamas on the other hand, puts as many civilians at risk, and if one of the tweets or articles above is true, it shot down many civilians who were trying to flee south. Not counting that Hamas has kept many civilians from fleeing south for quite some time. Those.....are war crimes. Putting civilians at risk, keeping them from getting away so that they won't be killed.

I do not know which few you are referring to. If the many who have left Gaza before the war, or the few wounded, etc who have finally been allowed out of Rafah because Egypt or Hamas was keeping them from leaving.

This might have been posted elsewhere…but I hadn’t seen it. It’s hard to believe, if true (I’ve never heard of this).

Yes, Israel found a lot of those pills in the Hamas terrorists they killed in Israel, in their pockets. I posted that on another page.

This kind of pill was used by ISIS.

1. nypost.com › 2023/10/23 › hamas-terrorists-were-highHamas terrorists were high on 'poor man's cocaine': report

Pills of the drug Captagon -- a synthetic, amphetamine-type stimulant -- were found in thepockets of dead or captured terrorists after they invaded theJewish state on Oct. 7, Israel’s...

2. www.jpost.com › israel-news › article-769646Hamas terrorists took Captagon to help them murder and ...

Hamas terrorists killed by Israeli soldiers were found to carry bags of synthetic amphetamine pillsin their pockets.

Ask why the Palestinian case has been taken up with such zest by our universities and the answer will be partly economic — almost as many Muslims pay to study at British universities as there are Jews in the entire population of the United Kingdom — and partly ideological.

It should matter to all of us, and not just Jews, that our tertiary institutions have grown so obsessed with 'colonisers' and the 'colonised' that empire has become the template against which almost every historical event is measured.

As evidenced by Jeremy Corbyn's monosyllabic remarks about Zionism, one needs to know nothing about history to be sure that the founding of Israel was a colonial enterprise.

Question that and you will be accused, as happened to Jewish students at the University of Bristol recently, of being in the pay of the Israeli government.

In fact, nothing could be more laughable than the idea that the first desperate Jews who came limping from the pogroms of Europe, after the Balfour Declaration of 1917 gave its support for 'a national home for the Jewish people' in Palestine, were colonisers or empire builders. Jews had been returning to their homeland for centuries, looking for nothing but a place of peace, spiritual renewal and safety.

Yes, things changed in the succeeding years, but Palestinian intransigence in the matter of sharing the country played a part in hardening Israel's resolve.

This, however, you will not be taught in whichever course preaching the evils of white supremacy you enrol.

And so — despite the academic cheers for Hamas — the bombs fall on Gaza and our hearts break. Is it anti-Semitic to wish Israel could find some other, more subtle and humane way of destroying Hamas?

No. But it is anti-Semitic to rush to false judgments about Israel's actions and intentions, to blame them for what they do not do and to refuse to understand the existential fears that drive their actions. And it most decidedly is anti-Semitic to say: 'There you are — didn't we tell you that Jews love killing babies.'

This might be the most diabolic anti-Semitic trick of all — reactivating the blood libel that has killed millions of Jews so far, and still counting.

(full article online)

Israel is facing all-too-predictable global pressure to scale back its military operation in Gaza to spare innocent lives and prevent a regional conflict that could draw in Iran, the United States, and other nations.

But critics have it backward. Those concerned about human rights and those seeking peace should be rooting for Israel’s full-scale destruction of Hamas—however long it takes or bloody it becomes. That may sound harsh, but it’s the only path to more human rights and more peace for both Israelis and Palestinians.

On human rights, Israelis deserve to live without fear of rocket attack, infiltration, and slaughter from across their border. But Gaza’s two million Palestinians also deserve peace as well as the prospect of a better life—both of which will remain elusive not because they live next to Israel but because they live under Hamas.

Hamas, the Palestinian branch of the Muslim Brotherhood movement, seized control of Gaza from the Palestinian Authority in a violent coup in 2007 and has ruled it since with an iron fist. It allows no elections; permits no free press; arrests, beats, and tortures its critics; and murders those suspected of collaborating, or seeking peace, with Israel.

-----
First and foremost, Israel’s destruction of Hamas would send a strong signal to Iran, which has providedhundreds of millions of dollars as well as weapons and military training for the group since the 1990s, trained hundreds of Hamas fighters in the weeks leading up to the group’s October 7 slaughter of more than 1,400 Israelis, and has since recruited Iranian men and boys to fight alongside Hamas.

After empowering its terrorist proxy in Gaza, Iran is now unleashing militant groups to attack U.S. forces in the region, threatening to attack Israeli and U.S. interests directly if the Jewish state continues its ground operations, and raising prospects that Hezbollah (its leading terrorist proxy) will step in as well.

Anything short of Hamas’ destruction will encourage Tehran to pursue its expansionist agenda across the region further.

While continuing to support Israel as global opposition mounts, Washington should (1) abandon efforts to nourish U.S.-Iranian rapprochement because they surely lead Tehran to question U.S. resolve and (2) impose the harshest possible financial and other sanctions on the regime, its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, and key individuals.

Second, Israel’s destruction of Hamas would give pause to Moscow, which just hosted a meeting with top officials from Hamas and Iran, is building stronger military and economic ties to Tehran, and is watching events unfold in the Middle East and drawing conclusions about the major players.

(full article online)

Forum List

Back