It feels oppressive when Facebook, Twitter and Youtube start banning content based on political bias

Not that I support content banning, but a lot of the reporting on this is overblown. Much of what is happening are algorithms taking down content unintentionally. A quick email to the company will get the content restored.

And other reporting, like the whining PragerU does, is nothing at all. YouTube has a content filter, turned off by default, that blocks a lot more than just conservative media.

Alex Jones was banned from all three of those platforms. Also Facebook is deleting content related to AGW denial. How far is it going to go?
Jones is welcome to put whatever garbage he wants on his own website.

Not that I support content banning, but a lot of the reporting on this is overblown. Much of what is happening are algorithms taking down content unintentionally. A quick email to the company will get the content restored.

And other reporting, like the whining PragerU does, is nothing at all. YouTube has a content filter, turned off by default, that blocks a lot more than just conservative media.

Alex Jones was banned from all three of those platforms. Also Facebook is deleting content related to AGW denial. How far is it going to go?

So they every right to take down anything on their sites they so choose. Just like you walk into my office and start spewing things I don't like I can kick you out. Just like USMB takes down threads or posts or bans individual. 1st amendment doesn't apply everywhere only government.

Next up is where sites will determine that any negative comments toward non white people are not “constructive”
but are hateful and thus racist thus banned.
Castigations of whites will be permitted because “it always has been” and, well, they Are white.

Do you honestly believe there is no political motiv
No. If deviant freaks have latched onto Jones, that has little to do with politics. Plenty of conservative voices, in the true political sense, remain. Just because a guy supports a republican doesn't make everything he says "political".

Next up is where sites will determine that any negative comments toward non white people are not “constructive”
Castigations of whites will be permitted because “it always has been” and, well, they Are white.

Again sites can do that.

So they every right to take down anything on their sites they so choose. Just like you walk into my office and start spewing things I don't like I can kick you out. Just like USMB takes down threads or posts or bans individual. 1st amendment doesn't apply everywhere only government.
There is no first amendment issue. The issue is large corporations colluding to shut down conservative voices. We even have a dem pol calling for more.

There is no first amendment issue. The issue is large corporations colluding to shut down conservative voices. We even have a dem pol calling for more.

You mean that private businesses are choosing what they will and wont support on their social media platforms.

So don’t do business with those corps. It’s a free country.

Again sites can do that.
So you support racism and selective enforcement. Thanks for raising your hand

Well, if USMB can ban or edit content of the people on here, then why can't Facebook? I mean, there have been people who were banned for saying hateful things and trolling, so if Facebook feels the same way about some of the content on their platform, shouldn't they be able to ban or edit people like USMB does?

Same way Hitler and the Nazis were free to ban content on their platform, I guess

Well, if USMB can ban or edit content of the people on here, then why can't Facebook? I mean, there have been people who were banned for saying hateful things and trolling, so if Facebook feels the same way about some of the content on their platform, shouldn't they be able to ban or edit people like USMB does?

Same way Hitler and the Nazis were free to ban content on their platform, I guess
Hitler rose to power by eliminating free speech. It's true.

Hitler was a private company? Sorry, it’s a free country, it’s just capitalism.

Hitler and the Nazis were the controlling part of the government. Facebook and YouTube are private enterprises. You should be able to see the difference.

Hitler rose to power by eliminating free speech.

Hitler was also the leader of Germany's government. Facebook and YouTube are private enterprises. You should be able to see the difference.

Yes, in no small part by personally controlling what media outlets could and could not publish. You make an excellent argument for leaving Facebook to police its own published content.

Hitler was also the leader of Germany's government. Facebook and YouTube are private enterprises. You should be able to see the difference.
Nobody has to use YouTube or Facebook...

Those three platforms alone account for a huge amount of traffic and information flow on the internet. The internet in general played a very important role in the last election, and will probably play an even more important role in future ones. They technically have the right to do whatever they want with their platforms, but how is the right supposed to not feel oppressed by left wing censorship when giant internet platforms like those, who currently play a very important role in politics, start censoring right wing content? Fine, the platforms are legally entitled to do so. Let's have a philosophical discussion though. What about morality and intellectualism? They have the right, but are they right to do it?
they're just scared leftists

Hitler and the Nazis were the controlling part of the government. Facebook and YouTube are private enterprises. You should be able to see the difference.
Yet they are working against one party of the government.

wait - didn't facebook ads and lies change the election?

the left really needs to make up their minds.

Yet they are working against one party of the government.

Private business has the right to run their outfits as they see fit. if the market doesn't like it, they will go out of business. I thought you conservatives were all about keeping the government out of private business.

Forum List

Back