It Has Started: Activist Court Rewrites Law

Well, I would propose a live by, die by the sword rule. That those people exercising their religious freedom, sign a hospitalization waiver. That if a hospital becomes overwhelmed with patients, they would be the first to be refused admission, or discharged to make room.
If church goers follow all the rules that supposedly abate the covid virus...social distancing, mask wearing, etc.,
then by what right would church goers be denied the same services anyone else is entitled to?

People still attend church services and there are zero reports of hospital being overwhelmed by church goers.

I'm afraid this whole hoo-haw over this all is just a way for anti religion bigots to try and strike a blow against
church goers. It's bigotry pure and simple.
And ask yourself how many Mosques are being shut down due to covid?

That opinion of personal responsibility sounds good, until you consider it's like smoking. They have a right to smoke, but they don't have a right to fill the air with their second hand smoke.

If they are with a crowd of like-minded individuals who don't mind smoke....they do indeed have that very right!

They do not have the right to inflict their smoke on the unwilling..just as people don't have the right to refuse to mask..around people who wish them to and in a business that requires it. Personal responsibility...it's a thing.

Except some states have overturned their mask requirements. So those people are free to go without masks among the general population.
OK..and so it goes...until it becomes a non-issue. I'd point out that if they are swanning about Southern CA without masking..they either have already had the covid..or are about to.

I’m still not sure why conservatives have such a hard time understanding infectious disease transmission. Exposing yourself unnecessarily to COVID-19 and then gathering in fellowship without the proper safeguards doesn’t sound terribly Christian to me.

It isn’t, of course. But then when have these folks ever really been “pro-life”?

The people who pretend to be "pro-life" have never been. Most of the people who call themselves "Christian" today are not followers of the Jesus who made his teachings known in the Sermon on the Mount. They are phonies.

People who choose to attend these super-spreader events with not even a mask or public distancing are dirty people who disrespect their communities and their nation. It doesn't matter that the gathering is "religious" or not.

Oh stuff it. You people are abject cowards. Don't go out, just hide. The rest of us aren't afraid.

The people who pretend to be "pro-life" have never been. Most of the people who call themselves "Christian" today are not followers of the Jesus who made his teachings known in the Sermon on the Mount. They are phonies.

They are more Christians than those who claim they are and vote for a President that now wants to fund overseas abortions.

I’m still not sure why conservatives have such a hard time understanding infectious disease transmission. Exposing yourself unnecessarily to COVID-19 and then gathering in fellowship without the proper safeguards doesn’t sound terribly Christian to me.

It isn’t, of course. But then when have these folks ever really been “pro-life”?
When they oppose the killing of babies.

I notice all the anti religion bigots all assume that being in church automatically means a total lack of
covid virus protocol.

Why is that?

Preach your gospel, buddy! Especially the part about judging others and being hypocrites.

Indeed. If you buy a double cheeseburger, you can't get a double heart bypass. Yup. That slope is covered in ice. But wouldn't it be good if people took total responsibility for their actions?

When in hell did Democrats start believing in taking responsibility for their actions? Much of their constituency doesn't.

This would depend on how many mosques are violating Covid-19 orders. What are your numbers? My observant Muslim friend does his Friday prayers at home via the internet.
I have no numbers. I just want to know if only Christians and Jews are being attacked for attending
their places of worship.

This isn't an "alleged burden". It's an actual burden. Argue if you wish it was justified (I disagree) but you can't argue it was an "alleged burden".
Disagree.

There’s nothing in Christian doctrine or dogma which compels adherents to meet in large numbers at a specified place or time, where failing to do renders one a ‘bad’ or ‘failed’ Christian.

And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

Hebrews 10:24-25

What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up.

1 Corinthians 14:26

No right is absolute, including the rights enshrined in the First Amendment – rights that are subject to reasonable, appropriate regulation by government.

The California policy is clearly religiously neutral, motivated not by government hostility toward Christianity or religious practice, but by a warranted concern to protect public safety.

The OP is correct, this represents the start of an activist conservative Court hostile to settled, accepted Establishment Clause jurisprudence whose goal is to further conjoin church and state in violation of the Framers’ original intent.

Argue that, but you can not argue it is not a burden. The courts did NOT upend settled anything either. Please provide these previous rulings.

This would depend on how many mosques are violating Covid-19 orders. What are your numbers? My observant Muslim friend does his Friday prayers at home via the internet.
I have no numbers. I just want to know if only Christians and Jews are being attacked for attending
their places of worship.

Nobody is "being attacked." It is not a matter of religion. We all know what the rules are. The trash of all the religions are not following them. I like what the Israeli government did some months ago. A city of predominantly orthodox Jews did not follow the rules. The Israeli government just shut the city down; nobody goes in, nobody goes out. I don't see why people of some religious groups should be allowed to endanger entire communities. Being of a certain religion is not a get-out-of-jail-free, I-can-do-what-ever-I-please card.

I've yet to hear you deplore the gathering of thousands during a BLM protest?
Out doors, 6 feet and more apart, and masked. And I certainly did say how foolish it was for them to be doing it right then .
Sometimes they were..and sometimes they weren't--I suspect your rhetoric was a bit different, eh?
If you're saying I didn't say they were downright stupid and criminal you'd be correct. They were doing something they felt was necessary to the greater good of their people. That can be worth a certain amount of sacrifice whether I agree with it or not.

These fools bitching about missing a church service are not in the same category.
There you miss the point....from their point of view it is the same..you may not share their faith in God...but it's real to them..as real as their ideologies are to BLM. That you cannot see this and respect it is a mystery to me.
Um... Nobody is persecuting them for believing in their god. Nobody is saying they can't worship their god. They are well past the point where they need to fight for their rights to believe as they wish.

I'm sorry, but your pushing a false equivalency.

What exactly to you conservitards think "the general.welfare" is?

As James Madison once said, only those enumerated.
The general welfare is right there in the constitution. Sorry for your luck.

It's in the very first sentence before you even open the document

1612661157071.png

Conservatives are so fucking stupid, that it actually hurts. They understand everything about the Constitution, except the actual meaning, and purpose of the Constitution.

Which doesn't have a god damn thing to do with god or guns.

Late on Friday night, the Supreme Court blocked California’s public health ban on indoor religious services in a splintered 6–3 decision that augurs a major shift in the law of religious liberty. Justice Elena Kagan’s extraordinary dissent accused her conservative colleagues of endangering lives by overruling public health officials and potentially facilitating the spread of COVID-19. But the court’s new conservative majority ignored her warning—and, in the process, gave itself new powers to strike down alleged burdens on religious freedom. The Supreme Court effectively tossed out decades of case law in a late-night emergency order, unsettling precedent that states have relied upon to craft COVID restrictions. As Kagan sharply noted, Friday’s order “injects uncertainty into an area where uncertainty has human costs.”

Keep it up religious nut jobs. You're going to be our best reason to expand the court. And you can bet the farm on it. The court will be expanded to stop religious extremism. The most fundamental reason America was created to begin with.

The only reason these religious nuts are pushing for live, inperson services is for these "independent" ministers to get the cash out of the collection plates. They're willing to kill their parishoners for the cash.

Activist Court Rewrites Law

Don't you mean MAJORITY OPINION? 6-3 isn't activist but the majority, the popular vote. Now watch this fool take the ACTIVIST action of wanting to STACK THE COURT with 11 or 13 people until they get the vote THEY want, in an effort to counter "activism."

The way I see it the SCOTUS is fighting Dems, the enemy of the people. Good job SCOTUS :clap2:

Late on Friday night, the Supreme Court blocked California’s public health ban on indoor religious services in a splintered 6–3 decision that augurs a major shift in the law of religious liberty. Justice Elena Kagan’s extraordinary dissent accused her conservative colleagues of endangering lives by overruling public health officials and potentially facilitating the spread of COVID-19. But the court’s new conservative majority ignored her warning—and, in the process, gave itself new powers to strike down alleged burdens on religious freedom. The Supreme Court effectively tossed out decades of case law in a late-night emergency order, unsettling precedent that states have relied upon to craft COVID restrictions. As Kagan sharply noted, Friday’s order “injects uncertainty into an area where uncertainty has human costs.”

Keep it up religious nut jobs. You're going to be our best reason to expand the court. And you can bet the farm on it. The court will be expanded to stop religious extremism. The most fundamental reason America was created to begin with.
It is law respecting religion. So what? Is it written somewhere that we can't make laws respecting religion? Geesh, talk about just making up a reason to get upset.

Forum List

Back