It's June 4th!

AmyNation

Road Warrior
Aug 6, 2012
On the 4th day of June in 1919 ,congress passed the 19th amendment guaranteeing women the right to vote. :)

603079_10151427625181361_9447474_n.jpg

I'm waiting for the Ann Coulters wannabes to start the "worst thing the US ever did was give women the vote" rant. :D

Good day for freedom
Good day for America!
Weird how my girlfriend is against this, though.. lol
My grandmother says this country went to shit when women started working
Ironic thing about that is, she used to run a multi-million dollar company, and got business women of the year multiple times lol

The history of which came to the 19th amendment certainly is clouded in ignorance. Sure, today, there would be no reason to keep women from voting AT THIS TIME. However, during that time period, it made perfectly good sense to keep women from voting.

Might have been a good day for America, but bad day for the American electorate.

HAs our political system gotten better or worse since 1919? Remember the support Edwards got from women because he has nice hair? Yeah. Like I said.

The history of which came to the 19th amendment certainly is clouded in ignorance. Sure, today, there would be no reason to keep women from voting AT THIS TIME. However, during that time period, it made perfectly good sense to keep women from voting.

Might have been a good day for America, but bad day for the American electorate.

Can you 'splain that for me?

I'm waiting for the Ann Coulters wannabes to start the "worst thing the US ever did was give women the vote" rant. :D

The worst thing the country ever did was NOT giving women the right to vote but the right to drive a motor vehicle.

Absolutely. The constitution gives specific rules on how your elected officials would be elected into office. The President was elected by the electoral college. The Senators were elected by the state legislator. The House of Representatives were elected BY THE PEOPLE. Not the men, but people.

Specific states had their own restrictions on voting. It didn't just target women, but all sorts of people. For example, some states required you to pay a poll tax. If you wanted to vote, you had to pay the tax. At the time, people gandered that you would be a more informed voter if you paid this tax. There were property requirements. States didn't want people voting who didn't own property. Literacy test were also a requirement. People wanted to know how competent a voter was before actually participating in their elections. And last, but not least, women were kept from voting, for obvious reasons.

Women back then, were obviously not like women today. Today, women are more involved in our society than ever before. Today, women have an active role in the workforce. They start their own careers. They work outside the home. They run businesses. They're more independent. They're even part of our military. Today, it makes absolutely no sense to keep women from voting, seeing as they are so involved in our society. The same wasn't true for women during late 1800's, early 1900's. Women back then didn't do any of the things that women are doing now. Therefore, it made zero sense having women vote when they don't own property, don't work outside the home, didn't pursue their own careers, or not involved in the work force what so ever.

I feel that many restrictions like these actually lead to good governance of the country. But since women were given the right to vote, voting restrictions were repealed state and nation wide to the point of where anyone can vote, as long as they are a citizen and are over the age of 18. As a result, our electorate is not as good, which you can obviously tell in more ways than one.

So no, I don't think women should be kept from voting now. But I understand why they were kept from voting in the past. The same reason why we keep children from voting now. At this point, the electorate can only get much worse when we start sliding down this slippery slope.

Last edited:
On the 4th day of June in 1919 ,congress passed the 19th amendment guaranteeing women the right to vote. :)

603079_10151427625181361_9447474_n.jpg

So tell us what is special about June 6th?

Completely off topid, but...

My great-grandfather was on Utah on June 6th, 1944. He said his were the first boots on the beach. I don't know if I believe that...

I wonder if someone will post something about D-day in two days.
Somehow I doubt it. I will if no one else does.

Absolutely. The constitution gives specific rules on how your elected officials would be elected into office. The President was elected by the electoral college. The Senators were elected by the state legislator. The House of Representatives were elected BY THE PEOPLE. Not the men, but people.

Specific states had their own restrictions on voting. It didn't just target women, but all sorts of people. For example, some states required you to pay a poll tax. If you wanted to vote, you had to pay the tax. At the time, people gandered that you would be a more informed voter if you paid this tax. There were property requirements. States didn't want people voting who didn't own property. Literacy test were also a requirement. People wanted to know how competent a voter was before actually participating in their elections. And last, but not least, women were kept from voting, for obvious reasons.

Women back then, were obviously not like women today. Today, women are more involved in our society than ever before. Today, women have an active role in the workforce. They start their own careers. They work outside the home. They run businesses. They're more independent. They're even part of our military. Today, it makes absolutely no sense to keep women from voting, seeing as they are so involved in our society. The same wasn't true for women during late 1800's, early 1900's. Women back then didn't do any of the things that women are doing now. Therefore, it made zero sense having women vote when they don't own property, don't work outside the home, didn't pursue their own careers, or not involved in the work force what so ever.

I feel that many restrictions like these actually lead to good governance of the country. But since women were given the right to vote, voting restrictions were repealed state and nation wide to the point of where anyone can vote, as long as they are a citizen and are over the age of 18. As a result, our electorate is not as good, which you can obviously tell in more ways than one.

So no, I don't think women should be kept from voting now. But I understand why they were kept from voting in the past. The same reason why we keep children from voting now. At this point, the electorate can only get much worse when we start sliding down this slippery slope.

You’ve got to be kidding – this is nothing but conservative reactionary revisionism.

Literacy tests, poll taxes, and property requirements were specifically designed to prevent African Americans and other minorities from voting.

Period.

Disallowing women to vote was predicated on the same ignorance and fear.

You’ve got to be kidding – this is nothing but conservative reactionary revisionism.

Literacy tests, poll taxes, and property requirements were specifically designed to prevent African Americans and other minorities from voting.

Period.

Disallowing women to vote was predicated on the same ignorance and fear.

Do you recall history class enough to remember the culture of that era?
Yes, there was a lot of racism; and yes, a lot of those were directly to keep African-Americans from voting.

But when it came to women, most men honestly thought that by preventing them from being allowed to vote, they were protecting them in a sense. They wouldn't have to deal with the stresses of who to vote for, because unlike today, people back then took the vote very seriously.

Does that make a damn bit of sense in the 21st century? No. No, of course not.

Tons of women sign the petition to end Women's Suffrage! :lol:

[youtube]-uPcthZL2RE[/youtube]

Forum List

Back