It’s OK To Mourn For Our First Female President

585c1f6c1c00000a070ed13b.jpeg

We saw what happens when a woman dares to seek power. It was heartbreaking.

Six months ago I lay in bed with tears in my eyes. I was staring at my tiny iPhone screen, watching a larger-than-life woman stand before a packed crowd in Brooklyn, dressed all in white like some kind of goddess wizard, making history as she officially became the presumptive Democratic nominee for president.

For the first time, a woman had a shot at real political power. For the first time, we could tell our daughters: You could be anything! And it would actually be true. As autumn approached, you could feel the excitement. Women were on the brink. On the morning of Election Day, they dressed in pantsuits and welled up, holding their little girls’ hands at the voting booth, posting adorable photos.

That night was a devastation. Ambitious women and girls across the country didn’t get a new role model. They got a smackdown.

Six months ago I lay in bed with tears in my eyes. I was staring at my tiny iPhone screen, watching a larger-than-life woman stand before a packed crowd in Brooklyn, dressed all in white like some kind of goddess wizard, making history as she officially became the presumptive Democratic nominee for president.

For the first time, a woman had a shot at real political power. For the first time, we could tell our daughters: You could be anything! And it would actually be true. As autumn approached, you could feel the excitement. Women were on the brink. On the morning of Election Day, they dressed in pantsuits and welled up, holding their little girls’ hands at the voting booth, posting adorable photos.

That night was a devastation. Ambitious women and girls across the country didn’t get a new role model. They got a smackdown.

Though the sexism behind Clinton’s loss has hardly been a secret, it’s taken me awhile to truly grapple with what lays at the bottom of those election results. Clinton’s loss isn’t simply about emails or Russian hacking or James Comey or the perils of the Electoral College or the struggles of the so-called white working class. Underneath that, her loss has everything to do with the different expectations men and women face in our country. Her loss is about what we do to women who dare to seek power.

This struck me as I read Ta-Nehisi Coates’ incredible essay on Barack Obama’s presidency. “To secure the White House,” Coates writes in The Atlantic, “Donald Trump needed only money and white bluster.” This is the simplest evidence you need to understand that of course racism played a role Trump’s election, Coates writes.

Immediately, I realized, Coates missed something.

It wasn’t just money and bluster.

Trump is a man.

Much of the country went for the guy. Sure, technically she got more votes, is winning the popular vote by millions, but a huge percentage of the country went for him. Obama voters switched sides. He won.

With his utter lack of government experience, track record of lies, without disclosing his taxes, with his hateful comments about women, his boast about sexual assault. For all that, Trump was seen as more “authentic” than her. More likable.

That’s sexism. You can dress it up in as many ill-advised email servers or Benghazi hearings as you like.

Time and again, men get a pass.

More: It’s OK To Mourn For Our First Female President

Amen! If you liked the above, you should read the other half of the link.

This is what happens when a woman seeking power fails to campaign in the midwest the way Trump did,
then try to side step the fact she was smug and overconfident and ran a bad campaign
Without Putin and Comey she STILL would have won by 10 pts. I'd just as soon Trump as Clinton winning by 1 and more putrid GOP obstuction.

All that aside, I think she would have been a bad president because I dont believ eshe's the type to control government spending. And I mean over paying for things we don't need to over pay for. maybe Trump will correct some of this ingrained problem. She also would raise Capital gains taxes greatly, and with her as pres, she would drive more businesses out of the US. If Trump can at least bring back Business, grow the economy and by doing so give more upward mobility to those at the bottom and middle class, he will have been a success.

I'm sorry, but I couldnt vote for Hillary cause I think she would end up borrowing even more from our grand kids. I dont think that is compassionate, and its not good for the poor and minorities youd like to protect.

Though the sexism behind Clinton’s loss has hardly been a secret, it’s taken me awhile to truly grapple with what lays at the bottom of those election results. Clinton’s loss isn’t simply about emails or Russian hacking or James Comey or the perils of the Electoral College or the struggles of the so-called white working class. Underneath that, her loss has everything to do with the different expectations men and women face in our country. Her loss is about what we do to women who dare to seek power.

This struck me as I read Ta-Nehisi Coates’ incredible essay on Barack Obama’s presidency. “To secure the White House,” Coates writes in The Atlantic, “Donald Trump needed only money and white bluster.” This is the simplest evidence you need to understand that of course racism played a role Trump’s election, Coates writes.

Trump is a man.

Much of the country went for the guy. Sure, technically she got more votes, is winning the popular vote by millions, but a huge percentage of the country went for him. Obama voters switched sides. He won.

With his utter lack of government experience, track record of lies, without disclosing his taxes, with his hateful comments about women, his boast about sexual assault. For all that, Trump was seen as more “authentic” than her. More likable.

That’s sexism. You can dress it up in as many ill-advised email servers or Benghazi hearings as you like.

Marrying Bill could only take her so far, but she did ok considering she had nothing of her own to offer.
She earned three times more than Bill when he was governor...
What does that prove? Trump made 100 times more than her and Bill combined. Trump is better apparently.
At selling his name to successful contractors...

Trump is a man.

This is what happens when a woman seeking power fails to campaign in the midwest the way Trump did,
then try to side step the fact she was smug and overconfident and ran a bad campaign
Without Putin and Comey she STILL would have won by 10 pts. I'd just as soon Trump as Clinton winning by 1 and more putrid GOP obstuction.

All that aside, I think she would have been a bad president because I dont believ eshe's the type to control government spending. And I mean over paying for things we don't need to over pay for. maybe Trump will correct some of this ingrained problem. She also would raise Capital gains taxes greatly, and with her as pres, she would drive more businesses out of the US. If Trump can at least bring back Business, grow the economy and by doing so give more upward mobility to those at the bottom and middle class, he will have been a success.

I'm sorry, but I couldnt vote for Hillary cause I think she would end up borrowing even more from our grand kids. I dont think that is compassionate, and its not good for the poor and minorities youd like to protect.
She would have been great for the nonrich if she could PASS anything with these GOPers...

I'm hoping Trump is a helluva lot better informed than his supporters...After 30 years of Voodoo: worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility, % homeless and in prison EVAH, and in the modern world!!

Trump is a man.

Better training for tech jobs...Clintons don't do big debt ....I hope you're right about T.

Trump is a man.

Better training for tech jobs...Clintons don't do big debt ....I hope you're right about T.

I do hope he will be a fair president, and I think he will be much more that the Election Hype would suggest. He ran his campaign on jobs, so he has to deliver. It will come down to Innovation and I think thats what most Trump voters were seeing in Trump. Of course it is TBD , so we will see.

There were lots of women around who weren't liars, socialists, arrogant and power-mad.

Why didn't you pick one of those?

You made the mistake of picking Hillary at about the time the country was getting sick of people like Hillary.

Sooo, you NaziCons chose a lying con artist. Good luck with that.
No sir. That was your side. Sorry if you didn't get the email before the server was wiped.

Just keep on making shit up, Ernie. That's what you're good at.
hillary's lies were documented by Director Comey. She failed to respond to dozens of subpoenas in a timely fashion and likely lied under oath in a Congressional investigation. Sounds like a lying con artist to me.
They dragged out the e-mails for over a year. GOP FBI. And Putin...What a pile of crap/NADA.
No sir. hillary dragged out the emails for nearly 2 years. Had she complied with the first subpoena, the world would have forgotten all about the bitch rotting away in a cell somewhere in Kansas.

Trump is a man.

Honestly, I dont see how she was held back for being a Woman. She had plenty of opportunity in her life, was a Senator, Secretary of State, but because she lost a Presidential Election, it's because of sexism and not how she ran her campaign? Trump actually worked harder than she did when it came to going out on the road and campaigning, whether you liked his message or not. Had he not done that, he would not be president

There were lots of women around who weren't liars, socialists, arrogant and power-mad.

You made the mistake of picking Hillary at about the time the country was getting sick of people like Hillary.

No sir. That was your side. Sorry if you didn't get the email before the server was wiped.

hillary's lies were documented by Director Comey. She failed to respond to dozens of subpoenas in a timely fashion and likely lied under oath in a Congressional investigation. Sounds like a lying con artist to me.

Well, gee, why in the fuck wasn't she indicted?
She may yet be., but to answer your question, she wasn't indicted (yet) because she hasn't provided all the information she was directed to in numerous Congressional subpoenas. I find it rather hypocritical that you liberal loons can stand there and say that there's not enough evidence to prove she has broken one law simply because she broke a different law.

She may yet be., but to answer your question, she wasn't indicted (yet) because she hasn't provided all the information she was directed to in numerous Congressional subpoenas. I find it rather hypocritical that you liberal loons can stand there and say that there's not enough evidence to prove she has broken one law simply because she broke a different law.

Don't you ever get tired of making shit up?

CNdTmGvWgAAVTSs.jpg

Mourning in America.
That's right. Squeeze a tear bitch....
You dirty bastard, how can you be insensitive?
I've been watching the left a long time.....

Watching and "learning" go hand in hand.
yeah, I just have to learn to get rid of any moral behavior ever learned over the past 500,000 years and I'll be right in their league.

Trump is a man.

Oh Please

Maybe If she focused on serving others and not seeking power she might have won.

Corruption. Which is the problem

Bullshit Liberal memes are not facts, papoose.
#1 The Benghazi investigation did not result in a prosecution because subpoenaed documents were withheld. Lack of sufficient evidence does not equal innocence.
#2 Her multiple unsecured phones and her private email server were NOT done according to the law.

No promise to start a war in the Middle East. The fact that Huff Po says Trump will start a war does not make it so, Chief Sobbing Snowflake.
The "Big Recession" was caused by failure to identify a problem with sub prime mortgages. The Democrat controlled Congress were warned repeatedly by John McCain and others, but your boy Barney Frank assured everyone that everything was cool.
And last... WHO says the GOP wants to raise the retirement age to 70? Democrat Underground?

You are the prime example of Ronald Reagan's quote "It's not that our Liberal friends are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so."

Forum List

Back